"Avoid at all cost!"

1.0
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at Onfido full-time for more than a year

Pros

New colleagues who keep joining and exiting

Cons

I will try to list a few and hope this is useful for others who are considering Onfido 1. Ignore the positive reviews and score in Glassdoor. These are all internally written and managed by a certain individual in the csuite to create a false impression externally (investors/potential employees) 2. Attrition’s is really high in both sales and ops team 3. Pay is ridiculous and commission is 0. There is no strategy currently on revenue side as multiple leaders came and exited as enough freedom/time was not given to them to perform. 4. Majority of sales are again inexperienced folks who have survived along the way growing up into a sales role in Onfido and having connections to the founders. They lack any knowledge in sales front and highly unlikely anyone in the industry is going to provide them an opportunity. 5. The sales quota assigned this year are impossible to achieve and this has become a open discussion point among all sales peers internally 6. The morale In the sales team is rather low and everyone is looking for an opportunity elsewhere 7. Globally it’s a sad state of affairs on the sales side. USA is going through constant change (unable to get along with UK) and other offices in Asia are more focussed on just getting daily amenities in place. It’s an open joke that individuals outside of HQ are treated as 2nd class citizens with no access to basic amenities. 8. Forget making any commissions here. It is 0 and there is high probability you would be fired in the first 3 months. 9. 0 work life balance in sales. The pressure will kill you. Period. 10. Look at LinkedIn and you will realise that almost 60+ sales folks were fired mercilessly in 2019. Internally this was quoted as misalignment and not a single csuite member took ownership on this.

Continue reading

Onfido Response

January 30, 2020Cofounder & COO

Hi there, I'm sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your time at Onfido. Many of the numbers in your review are off (for example, we didn't have 60 salespeople in total in 2019 and 100% of salespeople—not 30%—made commission last year). Regardless, it sounds like you generally had a tough time working with us which drove you to write this review. As with any company more than doubling every year, there are natural growing pains. We're lucky enough to have above market rate retention and engagement scores, and naturally although we can't please everyone, we certainly try. I truly hope you find a company where you love coming to work every day. Eamon

"Going big or going home...."

5.0
    Current Employee - Chief Product Officer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Onfido full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I figured I just hit my 2 year anniversary here and I could share some thoughts that might help you as a prospective colleague of ours make a very important career decision. Reviews in general are often biased by the extremes, I hope this gives you some objective information to evaluate. 1) Our market is large and growing, which is great for Onfido and our challengers in the market. When reviewing a company for potential employment, it all starts here. What is even better is the market is just starting to peak, a great time for joining. 2) Our product and technology were built for the long-term. We did not hurry or take short cuts, but we did have some gaps along the way as we built out a multi-component platform. This is not unlike any other industry that started from scratch. 3) We are absolutely non-compromising on hiring high quality people. Yes, this can create an open position for while, and in some cases we find out that a set of hires might not have been correct. But unlike a lot of companies, these adjustments are made promptly. These are never great experiences for the company or individuals involved. But, not acting is worse for both parties. 4) There is a lot of investment into the culture of the company, moreso relative to other companies I have seen. If you like the culture and it works for you, you will be satisfied with this aspect. No idea if off the table. 5) Our company goals are to win. It is that simple. That is going to bring huge expectations for effort, pace, creativity and quality. Want an easy job? We are not the right place. Want to work with people going big or going home? Take a deeper look. Enjoy pushing yourself and learning each day? Again, that is who we are.

Cons

I look at this section as more "risks" and risks usually have mitigation factors as this size of company, so most things are fixable if not perfect today. However, there are some characteristics that might not be right for you that I will share, so you are not surprised in any way through our recruitment process or onboarding. 1) We are a very young company and as such we are going to make some unique mistakes. But, we are also going to do some things that are unique, bold and unaffected by past precedent bias. An old dog can learn new tricks here, but also directly impact experiential wisdom, which is directly sought out by this Learning culture. There are countless examples of world-class companies started by young founders with experienced executive teams. We of course aim to be the next great company and are not thinking about second place. However, this is a specific type of company unlike a more typical seasoned-CEO-led tech company. Hang on for the ride! 2) We were still dialing in our leadership team while we also had to build an execution team, which admittedly was not 100% perfect in execution. Hindsight is always 100% accurate and can be a cruel judge. But having key leaders in place is absolutely critical to building a great company and the good news 2019 saw the completion of the executive team some key VPs. We also have been continuously hiring fantastic talent into the organization at all levels. We all take hiring as a priority. 3) A global remit in this kind of product/company domain is huge and requires extreme prioritization. Getting good at that as a company requires deliberate practice and continual challenging. We get better at that each quarter, each year but rate ourselves hard on that and will always have room too improve, especially in a frothy market. 4) A global company needs extremely effective communicators internally and externally. This becomes a necessary part of your job, regardless of level. If you don't understand, embrace and execute this, it might not be the right place for you. You need to have thick skin, and constantly take feedback to calibrate your approach. But when you do, you will find that this extremely smart and hard working company will scale your thinking and efforts right along side. 5) Attacking the world from London is a unique angle. We are not your typical Silicon Valley company but we embody a lot of aspects of those companies in our executive leadership and operational pattens and how we look at building product that is massively useful to our customers. We hope to get the best of both worlds but this is a complex formula and one we will need to iterate further to get right. Want to be part of a truly global company?

"Terrible experience"

1.0
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Onfido full-time for more than a year

Pros

Some innocent folks who join, only to be very quickly disillusioned by reality

Cons

C Suite have double standards and are disconnected with reality of themselves and others. There is a nasty hire and fire culture which is celebrated by c-suite. Self centred individuals only concerned with public image leading and representing with no human or family values. All positive reviews as mentioned before are by C Suite and any real ones either deleted or hidden from view. Like a dictator led govmt. Lack of transparency. Hush culture - many live in terror of being fired if they speak the truth. Most are then fired if they do speak the truth. High degree of nepotism and older staff sucking up to C suite to get promotions often with unprofessional intent. One only needs to ask to find out who is related or known . The chosen few are often given unfair benefits of working from home, long leave periods and promotions not offered to other employees as everyone in US team knew about. Multiple internal concerns from sales team about attitude and behavior with no notice taken. Only concerned with strategy and metrics. Emotionally unable to relate to team and continue repeating the same blurb and memorized text about Onfido at every interview. Bulldozer approach to everything and everyone.

Continue reading

Onfido Response

February 16, 2020Cofounder & COO

Hi, I'm sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your time with us. We put a huge amount of effort and focus on our company culture in an effort to motivate and reward team members for their work. On the whole, this is reflected by our high number of positive Glassdoor reviews and engagement score. We don't always get it right though - in your case, it sounds like things didn't work out and that's a real shame. Moving forward, I wish you the best and hope you find a company where you love coming to work every day. Eamon

Discover more reviews about Onfido.