Employee Review

Former Employee, less than 1 year

Burnout City

Feb 14, 2020 - Customer Support
    Business Outlook

Pros

* Decent pay * Solid benefits package, including retirement and lifestyle spending * Most of your squad mates will be good, supportive folks. Misery loves company.

Cons

* Unsustainably stressful work environment: You'll have to deal with at least 3 chats at a time, usually all dealing with vastly different issues. If you take longer than 15 minutes with each of those people, your boss will chew you out for being too slow * Management cares more about how many upsell opportunities you found (regardless of relevance to the customer's needs) than genuine customer satisfaction. * High turnover rates: Stressful conditions, unrealistic expectations and pressure from management leads to a lot of people burning out, taking stress leave, or just plain quitting. Termination with last-second notice is not unheard of. Management threatening termination if you "can't take it" is common. Some people don't even make it through training. * Inconsistent Managment: Had a good time with a couple of managers who filled in while my boss was away (which was often). My boss himself was the definition of false sincerity. Very "buddy-buddy" in appearance, but with threatening tendencies when management style or behaviour was brought into question. Unsupportive and intimidating * Work from home can be isolating. Tough to leave the work behind when there's no real distance between your work space and your living space * Work-Life Balance is a joke: You'll be buried in follow-up emails of one sort or another constantly, and you'll be given less than an hour each day specifically to work on them (all the while, accumulating more). If you stay late to try and make a dent in them, you won't be paid overtime. * Training lasts a month and is still insufficient to ramp people up to the speed this company demands of their workers. * Internal and external resources used to help with customer problems are frequently out of date and generally inefficient.

Continue reading
    24 people found this review helpful
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great company

Jul 28, 2021 - Sales Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible hours, great support and advancement opportunity is great

Cons

Entrepreneurial start-up company so you need to be driven to work independently

Be the first to find this review helpful
  2. 5.0
    Current Employee

Best Company I've Ever Worked For

Jul 13, 2021 - Technical Sourcer
    Business Outlook

Pros

- It's the only company that's ever truly valued my skillset and actually taken my feedback into consideration. - Unlimited PTO isn't just lip service. I'm going to end up taking ~5 weeks this year and that's not including Holiday's or summer Friday's (we've been given all summer Friday's off...it's great) - Remote first. No plans to return to an office (this can definitely be a Con for some people) - Business is booming. I don't worry about getting laid off. My role continues to grow as the company grows.

Cons

- We probably aren't paying top of market in the US. I can almost certainly get paid more working at a FAANG. I believe we're revising comp right now, but I don't have particularly high expectations. Pay certainly isn't terrible, but there's room for improvement. - Senior leadership can sometimes come across as callous when addressing employee concerns. I get it to some degree (people complaining about work from home still when we've known about it for over a year, for example), but I think they could strike a softer tone sometimes. - There's a handful of people who have been promoted into positions that they simply aren't equipped for anymore. We've scaled quickly and hired a ton of great people in the process. As a result, you sometimes have really strong teams led by really weak Managers. This has definitely contributed to some (not all) of the attrition we're seeing

Continue reading
    2 people found this review helpful

Discover more reviews about Shopify.