VMware - Great place to work that values quality of life and family | Glassdoor.com.au

"Great place to work that values quality of life and family"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at VMware full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

VMware is a big company but in many ways had a startup vibe. That was great because the resources and infrastructure of a big company were there, but it gave most people I worked with freedom to work on many projects, influence, move around, and contribute in many ways. Plus, many things moved faster than they might at other companies of the same size. Perks were really great including bonuses, events on the campus,... opportunities, etc.

Cons

The biggest con is the annual layoff. During most of the years I was there, we were growing like crazy, beating expectations, gaining in stock price, etc. It was always positive and upward. However, every single January, it was known that there would be a round of layoffs, even when all numbers were looking great as they almost always were. Management called it restructuring. But, over the years, some really good... people were let go for no apparent reason. Then to add insult to injury, a week or two later, there would be a company quarterly meeting discussing how VMware was doing so well and is still hiring, but they had to make some changes. It always felt dishonest and the sympathy for those let go came across as disingenuous.

Advice to Management

January was always a nerve racking month and it completely destroyed any sense of loyalty to the company. I know a few people that completely changed their perception of VMware after a colleague of theirs was let go with no apparent rhyme or reason. Many people left shortly after as a result of losing loyalty to the company or for just being stressed out about themselves getting cut the next year.

VMware2019-06-24
  1. "Great company"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant

I have been working at VMware full-time

Pros

Growth mindset in company culture.

Cons

Cost cutting sometimes is frustrating

VMware2019-11-05
  2. "Great company strategy"

Former Employee - Sales

I worked at VMware full-time

Pros

Strong offerings and roadmaps, good customer interest

Cons

depending on the team, highly competitive landscape

VMware2019-08-21

Discover more reviews about VMware.