Web Applications UK - Double edged sword | Glassdoor.com.au

"Double edged sword"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Oldham, England

I worked at Web Applications UK full-time for more than a year

Pros

Most of the staff are very nice to work with and I enjoyed most of my time here. The benefits are reasonable, having free drinks in the office is nice and often understated what such a simple thing can do. The training budget for each employee is also reasonable and can be used on most things as long as it has demonstrable outputs (like certifications). Most people will be more than happy to help you when asked.... Social events were frequent and often very fun.

Cons

The salary is not particularly competitive. There can be quite a large emphasis placed on time allocation ensuring that all time is logged against something relevant, this can often lead to a feeling amongst staff that they are constantly being scrutinised which is not great for morale. Occasional weekend work whilst communicated before accepting the job is still not always ideal. There are some conflicts of... interest in upper management which could be problematic and doesn't foster a culture where all employees are able to feel comfortable coming forward with an issue, especially if that issue pertains to the CEO. Finally, and perhaps the largest con is the CEO himself. He is a very clever human being, and he wants you to know it. He wants you to believe he's more intelligent than you and always correct, I found him very difficult to work with; his ego was obstructive when it came to collaborative working and I often found he would talk down to his employees in a way which made them and others very uncomfortable. His interview technique also leaves a lot to be desired; I personally understand what he is trying to do when he interviews a candidate by putting them in a pressure filled and stressful situation to see how they respond to that pressure, but the way in which he does this is completely unacceptable and moreover does not even accomplish what he wants. He pressures and berates potential candidates trying to pick apart their career and their achievements looking for flaws and weaknesses, this is not an appropriate way to see how candidates respond to pressure. This behaviour needs to stop.

Advice to Management

Improve your salary offering to attract better staff. Stop the CEO from being a part of the interview process as his interview style is not even close to being appropriate. Ensure that the CEO is placed on some sort of management and sensitivity training course as he appears to be either unaware or simply doesn't care how his actions affect his candidates and subordinates.

Web Applications UK2019-02-06

Other Employee Reviews

"Beautiful project, poor management staff"

Former Employee - Project Engineer in Oldham, England

I worked at Web Applications UK full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- The project I worked on for 3years was a dream one and I'm forever grateful to web applications for making it a reality.

Cons

- Working with various levels exposed me to ridiculous management team especially Craig. He is so condescending, arrogant and abusive.

Advice to Management

- Craig and the team need to make the environment really an environment. Everyone was literally scared and unable to perform at their optimum.

Web Applications UK2019-01-30

"Decent place to start as a software engineer with zero experience, provided a strong desire to learn."

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Oldham, England

I worked at Web Applications UK full-time for more than a year

Pros

Real focus on learning and improvement, starting from low-level concepts and old tools. If you show good knowledge in areas specified in the job spec and a real desire to learn, they will take you in. Overlooking experience, background.

Cons

-lots of time spent on support duty (with terrible equipment) -extremely rare to use a new tool or framework -felt like no design patterns were ever mentioned apart from OOP -weirdo CEO -located in Oldham -low pay -poor benefits -no flexibility in type of work you do

Web Applications UK2019-05-28

Discover more reviews about Web Applications UK.