Web Applications UK - Culture of Learning ,Growth and innovation | Glassdoor.com.au

"Culture of Learning ,Growth and innovation"

Current Employee - Junior Software Engineer in Oldham, England

I have been working at Web Applications UK full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fantastic people to work with - feels more like a group of friends than colleagues sometimes! Everyone is always willing to help each other - can happily say no one is toxic or someone who i dislike. Constantly learning new things: as someone who really cares about gaining knowledge - there isn't a day where i don't learn something new. Free food, drinks, gym membership, open bars ( good use is made out... of that) Constant social nights out - going to restaurants, sponsored runs, dodge ball the list is endless! Management actually cares about you. All the directors are approachable and sometimes can sit down with you for hours explaining stuff. One of them in particular deserves a noble prize for the amount of work he does. Customer first approach - focus on the best solution - not the quickest. Full stack environment means you get a good front end experience as well as back end. Constant training, learning new and exciting topics. Opportunities to attend technology events across the UK - fully paid for. Chance to do exams to achieve certifications and have those exams paid for you. One job many roles policy which is fantastic for experience. Company first business second. DOGS! ;)

Cons

some of the policies seem ridiculous. Employees who have built up a lot of trust and have proven themselves are heavily restricted in what they can/can't do. I understand that certain rules are there to protect us. But i think certain people should be able to earn the right to be able to given more trust/permission It can be stressful sometimes. Especially when doing something high priority. New services... that we offer still need further refinement Few outdated technologies still in use (ASP sucks - it just does) Big focus on support. some days half of the dev's are on support! whilst i understand the reason behind this, i think more time should be given for experimentation with new technologies/ trying different products - though i had raised this before and it feels like its slowly being listened too!

Advice to Management

trust your employees - give us more responsibility and stop micromanaging all the mini aspects of our lives.

Web Applications UK2019-02-27

Other Employee Reviews

"Beautiful project, poor management staff"

Former Employee - Project Engineer in Oldham, England

I worked at Web Applications UK full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- The project I worked on for 3years was a dream one and I'm forever grateful to web applications for making it a reality.

Cons

- Working with various levels exposed me to ridiculous management team especially Craig. He is so condescending, arrogant and abusive.

Advice to Management

- Craig and the team need to make the environment really an environment. Everyone was literally scared and unable to perform at their optimum.

Web Applications UK2019-01-30

"Decent place to start as a software engineer with zero experience, provided a strong desire to learn."

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Oldham, England

I worked at Web Applications UK full-time for more than a year

Pros

Real focus on learning and improvement, starting from low-level concepts and old tools. If you show good knowledge in areas specified in the job spec and a real desire to learn, they will take you in. Overlooking experience, background.

Cons

-lots of time spent on support duty (with terrible equipment) -extremely rare to use a new tool or framework -felt like no design patterns were ever mentioned apart from OOP -weirdo CEO -located in Oldham -low pay -poor benefits -no flexibility in type of work you do

Web Applications UK2019-05-28

Discover more reviews about Web Applications UK.