There are newer employer reviews for WebMD Health

"The experience was good and then ugly."

I have been working at WebMD Health full-time

Pros

There was a good design team

Cons

Half good design team laid off.

Advice to Management

Quit your day job.

Other Employee Reviews for WebMD Health

"It was good....for awhile"

Former Employee - Former Medscape Employee in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Former Medscape Employee in New York, NY (US)

I worked at WebMD Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are talented people there, people who will appreciate you and try and mentor you even across divisions and teams. People complain about the benefits and pay but they were good for me and I even had a few that weren't offered by other companies. I did have some good managers and at times I felt I was able to contribute some things of value and worth. I was appreciated by a few teams. The company has a rich history and I did gain a lot of skills from my jack-of-all-trades duties. It was good for a long time I was there. And actually much to people's chagrin, the Medscape business model was pretty successful for a long time and probably was has kept WEBMD afloat in hard times.

Cons

I did feel underappreciated at times. Was sometimes demeaned. On certain teams there was the sense of "watch your back" and politic (aka suck up) or suffer the consequences. Those that did were promoted (even if they were dead weight slackers) those that didn't were reassigned or let go entirely. The lay offs were not handled well- suddenly people were there and then they weren't and no communication just orders to pick up the slack. The workloads were insane on some teams 1-2 people doing the work of 3-4 on another with equivalent workloads. There was no work-life balance in the past few years I worked there. Common to work through vacations and holidays. No advancement and sometimes contractors were paid more for work employees were doing or used as an excuse to justify not promoting people (no positions). My managers were mostly fair, but some were terrible. Low morale and people who tried to increase it or call attention to problems were ignored or targeted. Review system a joke - like winning the lottery every few years. It wasn't always like this, it was a good work place for awhile, which also upset people. We weren't opposed to change and growth as long as it meant we weren't devalued - but we were.

Advice to Management

I hope there are some of you that still do care and will read the writing on the wall. Plus value the talent you do have left - the pool is shrinking. You let go or forced out people who would have stayed much longer willingly if they had been treated better. The company wasn't always this vulturistic. Maybe you should start looking at sale offers again. Staying public isn't always a prudent move if you still want to have a job to go to.

"It's a Shame..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at WebMD Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great brand, interesting work, great location in midtown, a lot of exceptional people, a good learning experience, pretty good salary and benefits

Cons

Bad management (really bad), chronic disconnect between NY and ATL. And over the last year or so, way too many secrets and lies. The new "leadership team" does little to inspire confidence.

Advice to Management

Retool for longterm growth and success, and invest in employees. Focus on core strengths, support tech advancement, and quit getting distracted by shiny objects.