Enterprise Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

Pamela M. (Pam) Nicholson
3,417 Ratings

9,210 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great training program and great people" (in 444 reviews)

• "Performance based company that has a employee/customer service first culture while challenging you to be the best leader" (in 656 reviews)

Cons
  • "work life balance needs improved" (in 1689 reviews)

• "So no work life balance at all I worked at a flagship so there was times i would 65-70 hours with no lunch" (in 578 reviews)

1. "Toxic Environment"

I worked at Enterprise full-time

Pros

Initially, it was an excellent place to work. Operational objectives were discussed and agreed with SM. Hard working senior management team.

Cons

New GM was employed who are using the business as a place to employ friends and family. No support from line manager who would schedule weekly meetings and either not attend the meeting or cancel when the meeting was due to start. Pay disparity as the new hires are getting paid more than current employees.

Advice to Management

Closely look at who is operating the business now? Are they experienced to accomplish the business goals? Are they playing favourites with family & friends?

Enterprise Response

23 Oct 2017 – Manager Employer Brand

Thanks for leaving a review. I'm curious if you'd be willing to provide more information. We're unable to address complaints at a local level unless we have geographic information and more specific... More

"MT"

I worked at Enterprise full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you work hard you can get promoted and make decent money. Also many other companies are willing to hire sales people who have worked for enterprise

Cons

It is a tough place to work, fast paced, washing cars in a suit, everyone starts at the bottom and works their way up, the pay at the bottom is not great... company is not for everyone

"Fantastic opportunities to learn - beware of burnout"

Former Employee - Management Trainee in Washington, DC (US)
    Former Employee - Management Trainee in Washington, DC (US)

I worked at Enterprise full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I want to provide a comprehensive review, simply because a lot of the responses on Glassdoor are just short complaints that do not provide very useful information. But before I get into that, a little breakdown of my mindset going in to working at Enterprise:

I knew it was not going to be my forever job from the beginning. I planned to stay for about a year to learn some broad-based skills and then move on to an industry in which I was more interested. A lot of people start working at ERAC with the mindset of only staying at the company for a few years, but it is absolutely an organization that has an "up or out" philosophy. If you're not willing to move up in the company, there's really no point in staying there because of how quickly people promote. If you're someone who doesn't have a problem committing a good portion of their career to one company and gaining significant financial benefits from it, then Enterprise is definitely a good option for you.

1) The People: If you ever decide to work for Enterprise, one of the first things you'll hear about the company is the quality of the employees. And while many of the ERAC mantras can be annoyingly repetitive (area managers and above frequently talk like they’ve been drinking the ERAC Kool-aid for a while), this claim is absolutely true. Enterprise hires some of the most driven, ambitious, intelligent, and genuine young people around, and they really are the strong foundation that makes the company successful.

2) The Leadership: Every single person above you was in your shoes at one point. Thus, they know what kind of garbage you go through with customers, how banal the job can be, and how exhausting it is transitioning from college (or another industry) to a 12-hour a day job. You won't see much of the higher-ups (regional managers and above) as they only pop in every few weeks to say some words of encouragement and check to make sure the branches look clean, but you will interact with your branch and assistant managers on a daily basis. Assuming they're good people and doing their jobs effectively, you will learn a lot from them while you're an MT.

3) The Skillset: You're going to work. A LOT. And you're frequently going to be working with customers who are...horrible people. Like for no reason. But through working with the large amount of people that you will (no matter how good or bad they are) you are going to gain extremely valuable skills to launch your future career - whether that's at Enterprise or somewhere else. Communication, sales, conflict management, strategic thinking, problem-solving; this is just some of what you're going to learn as an MT.

Cons

1) The Hours: Most reviews put this in the “Cons” section and it’s because it’s accurate; you will not have a work/life balance at Enterprise. The minimum expectation is 49 hours/week, which is actually what your targeted salary is based on. You will likely work around 55-60 hours/week, and your branch and assistant managers will work more. Branches are typically open from 7:30am-6:00pm, but most of us are there in the morning at 6:45am-7:00am to wash the cars in preparation for the day. Customers who come in at 6:00pm (and people absolutely will try to come in even if the doors are locked) can also hold you up for another 20-30 minutes. If you’re at an airport location or a flagship branch that is open every day, you will work holidays. If your branch is understaffed, you will not get a lunch.

2) The Work: You’re going to be doing the exact same thing every single day. Checking customers into cars takes up the majority of your time, and while the ability to constantly practice your sales pitch is pretty fun, you’re going to find yourself asking every single customer the exact same questions in an attempt to make conversation and keep up the perception of quality customer service. There’s also a lot of backend work to be done, such as calling customers to verify that they are still planning to come in to pick up a car, coordinating with body shop and dealership locations, and leaving voicemails for customers who picked up a car and haven’t returned it in a few days and now have a balance due even though their card declined. Oh, and don’t forget about cleaning the cars.

3) The Promotional Path: This is actually one of the primary reasons I left Enterprise. There’s very limited options to move beyond daily rental, and you’re really only able to do so after becoming a Branch Manager or above, which generally takes 1.5-3 years to attain. If you want to explore HR, business management, fleet work, or any other departments, you’re going to have to stick with the company for a number of years.

Advice to Management

KEEP BRANCHES FULLY STAFFED! This is honestly my largest complaint about Enterprise: you can’t expect quality customer service at a branch with not enough staff. There’s too much work to do and it’s going to mean customers will have to wait which they HATE. I constantly heard branch and area managers endlessly worrying about how ESQI can be improved and while there are often issues that do need to be addressed, one of the simplest fixes just involves hiring more people. A branch cannot be effectively run with 3 people, and an airport location can barely function at all if there are less than 10 MT’s.

"Work Hard, Play Hard & Reward Hard Work!!"

Current Employee - Management Trainee in Bristol, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Management Trainee in Bristol, England (UK)

I have been working at Enterprise full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Love the people and the atmosphere in the branch. The number of promotional opportunities is crazy as well. People are constantly getting promoted and everyone just wants to work hard and be recognised for that. I can already see that you get out what you put in. You are learning to run your own business and the management team are really passionate about what they do.

Cons

The hours are long and can be unpredictable but what do you expect when you work in retail? It is a very customer service orientated environment and our customers seem to be exceptionally demanding but nothing beats the buzz of getting a great customer service score and you get a bonus too!

Advice to Management

It’s great to see upper management out in the branches please keep this up!

5. "Management Trainee"

I have been working at Enterprise full-time

Pros

You learn everything about the company and how to run a business, family atmosphere

Cons

Work life balance, burn out

6. "Branch manager experience"

I have been working at Enterprise full-time

Pros

Great people to work with, good experience

Cons

Work/life balance, can be tedious

7. "Tough but good"

Former Employee - Management Assistant in Fort Collins, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Management Assistant in Fort Collins, CO (US)

I worked at Enterprise (More than a year)

Pros

Learn the meaning of teamwork, working hard, and customer service.

Cons

Overworked, underappreciated, and not enough room for advancement.

8. "I have been working at enterprise part-time for 3 years now"

Current Employee - Service Agent
    Current Employee - Service Agent

I have been working at Enterprise part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Job security
    Good pay
    Hour lunch
    Gain experience in customer service
    Learn how to properly wash a car

Cons

Limited hours
    No work life balance
    Can be very stressful at times
    Poor communication from management
    Having to work most holidays and weekends.
    Favoritism within the company

Advice to Management

Learn to properly communicate with your employees so there is no confusion within the workplace.

9. "Fab company to work for especially if you want promotion"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative

I have been working at Enterprise full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I love working for this company. I am always supported and encouraged to make suggestions of how about trying xyz or what if we do this etc., My managers have all be good, supporting, encouraging and developing their team/s who can quite often be in stressful situations. If you want promotion and exceed at what you do, you will get it, normal caveats apply of course!

Cons

Great if you want promotion but if you don't want it and just want to provide exceptional customer service and exceed or above in reviews, the rewards wont be that great. Unfortunately the grading system has very narrow pay bands at the base grade levels so that they cant pay you any more unless you get promoted. Such a shame as otherwise all is great and I am sure we would have kept many more good people if this situation was resolved because everything else is in place. Such a shame.

Advice to Management

Please do something about the base grades so we can keep good people who exceed but don't want promotion even when offered it. I know it is a strange conundrum, in a workplace with so many promotions but we have a very diverse workforce and this segment seem to be overlooked.

10. "You have to believe in what you do."

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in North Platte, NE (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in North Platte, NE (US)

I have been working at Enterprise full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great pay, tons of growth potential, teamwork is encouraged, the company gives back to the communities they're in and to the environment. Management and administration are great people who encourage and help you grow. The CEO is female, the company promotes inclusion and diversity, the benefits are wonderful, and your family and friends can get discounted rentals.

Cons

Long days, though you are well compensated, you may work on Saturdays and Sundays in some markets, and you have to kiss up to upset customers.

Advice to Management

Stop requiring a college degree for employment. Experience in sales goes much further in a career like this than a degree in Exercise Science will. Try harder to recruit employees and listen to your managers when they say they need help. The daily expectations of this job are lengthy and without help, there's no way to get everything done everyday.

Showing 9,210 of 9,958 reviews