Envato Employee Reviews about "work from home"

Updated Jun 22, 2019

Found 13 of over 117 reviews

4.3
Envato CEO Hichame Assi
Hichame Assi
Pros
  • "The flexibility to work from home or anywhere else remotely(in 13 reviews)

• "Great facilities and flexible work means you can have the right environment for your working needs(in 12 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Insecure middle managers who don't care much about your development(in 6 reviews)

• "There is a strong focus on getting things done rather than doing the right thing(in 3 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "work from home"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great place to work

Mar 15, 2017 - Anonymous Employee in Melbourne
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flexibility! Work from home as much as it works for you and your team, and flexible hours. I've really loved this flexibility - great for maximising time with family, school drop-offs, leaving early for a weekend away etc. Working from anywhere around the world for up to 3 months per year is pretty awesome too! Parents room is great. I love the people that I work with. In quite a few job ads it lists 'being nice' as something required to work here. I thought initially it was just some fluff in an ad but, on joining the team, I was pleasantly surprised that everyone is. People do have their good and bad days but overall people are really friendly here, more so than anywhere else I've worked, which is pretty awesome. I also really feel like I can be myself. There are groups like Out Envato (for lgbti and allies) that really help everyone in the business champion diversity at Envato and in the tech industry and we even have a slack channel where people discuss diversity and inclusion issues. It's a great forum where people passionately discuss topics related to diversity and inclusion. I love that people here feel comfortable sharing their opinions even when they are different to their peers. The work is awesome! Lots of autonomy to come up with ideas on how to do things better and no micromanagement, but always someone to call on when I want advice. Everyone is happy to share their knowledge which is pretty swell.

Cons

The company moves really quickly. I love this but others who like working in a highly predictable environment will not. We're not a company of cowboys but we do like to work on the cutting edge and try new things and new tech.

6 people found this review helpful
    2. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Trade pay for flexibility

Jun 22, 2019 - Developer in Melbourne
      Business Outlook

Pros

• The flexibility to work from home or anywhere else remotely • Good engineering culture and practice

Cons

• The pay is mediocre if not low • The promotion process is not good • The management does almost nothing when people not perform well

3 people found this review helpful
    3. 2.0
      Current Employee

Great teams, terrible management

Feb 5, 2019 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Remote first, meaning you can work from home whenever

Cons

Genius culture Meeting fatigue Great until you have a problem, then it’s the worst place ever

7 people found this review helpful
    4. 4.0
      Former Employee

The golden years are gone

May 14, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Envato is a values first organisation which is very rare! Known for flexible work, its true! Work from home, flexible start and finish times without question and work from abroad. Work from abroad is a wonderful benefit! You have a yearly salary review and profit share opportunity. HQ is centrally located. The focus on inclusion is great, mental health, LGBTI and things like that. And for those fortunate enough to have at some time, worked closely with the founders, what genuine warm and caring people to work with. Envato still has a strong employer brand perception in the market. Core products continue to ensure Envato is profitable.

Cons

Envato uses it values to guide decision making to the point where adverse outcomes occur as a result of staying true to values. There is a continued push to empower Ben Chan who is ill-equipped with the people skills required to lead the organisation. He tries to improve but you spot the fake veneer a long way away. #plugintothematrix #belikewater The founders continue to move further away from the day to day which is ok, however the organisation continues to position itself to prospective employees that they are heavily involved. There is a focus on hiring women, the quality of late has been poor. Managers aren’t clear on how to make a decision between hiring to improve gender equality and the person that has the best skills and experience. Employees openly admit that its like an adult day care centre working at Envato. Sadly, flexible work is now too flexible, people work from home but don’t work. There is currently no way to measure this nor is there a sound way to hold people accountable. This includes empowering managers to reprimand. There is an acceptance of carrying dead weight instead of having the tough conversations and moving people on. Unfortunately, quality women continue to leave the organisation, the majority of which are from Ben Chan’s department. There is a willingness to keep others that are well below par.

11 people found this review helpful
    5. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great company but is stuck in the garage it started in, and can't grow without a change in leadership mindset.

Feb 23, 2018 - Product Manager in Melbourne
      Business Outlook

Pros

Culture, work from home and abroad policy, autonomy, speed to market, start-up minded

Cons

Poor leadership, no actual strategy.

5 people found this review helpful
    6. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Toxic, bullying, frustrating

Feb 20, 2018 - Anonymous Employee in Melbourne
      Business Outlook

Pros

The best part of Envato is the people who work there. In general, they're some of the smartest, talented, and most interesting people around. (Until they get too frustrated and leave, of course). There's supposed to be flexible work hours, and, if you're in the right team, an ability to work from home when you want. The CEO is a good leader. The foundation of Envato as a company was, at one point, strong.

Cons

Envato has a remarkably toxic workplace. In the last few months of working there, I've barely had a positive conversation about the company, and turnover has been high. I was largely driven out by one manager in particular, who targeted me through bullying, gaslighting and other forms of manipulation. When I discussed with HR - throughout my time at Envato - they seemed to not believe me, and said there was nothing I could do about it. This was despite my best efforts to document her behavior and to articulate just how damaging it was. I was only told that it was up to their manager to do what they thought was appropriate... and their manager did nothing. Their behavior eventually led me to a complete mental breakdown. To the credit of the HR team, I was given two weeks of mental health leave when I finally left - though perhaps just to avoid a workplace harrassment lawsuit. Meanwhile, the manager continues to work there today, where her behavior continues. How is this acceptable, Envato? Is that the sort of behavior that's rewarded? The culture of Envato varies widely between departments, so I can't speak for the experiences across the company. In the marketing team, it's tough, particularly if you are not in the inner-circle of management. People are told they "aren't allowed" to ask questions about the decisions of managers, and all points about being 'clique-y' in other reviews are accurate. I've never witnessed so much work politics, backstabbing, passive-aggressiveness, or complicated alliances. It doesn't help that the reporting structure of the department means that everyone is competing against each other, rather than working together collaboratively - which often means forgoing a smarter strategic plan in favor of quick-wins to boost the numbers of your own marketing channel. The 'perks' at Envato are so overhyped, and in some cases, inaccurate for them to claim. For example, Envato boasts about the opportunity for secondments - to spend some time working in other teams. In practice, this is incredibly difficult and requires a lot of office politics. In one case - of a coworker who worked directly for the chief commercial officer of the company - they only succeeded in completing a secondment because they were told they could "do their regular job on nights and weekends". To me, that doesn't seem like a 'benefit' to promote - that's just exploiting your workers and getting two jobs for the price of one, all because you've made it feel like it's the only way to get ahead. I was also told there would be no opportunities for growth in my role. For a company that prides itself on growth opportunities, well, that statement seems to directly contradict that. When I left, I was the third person on a team of 4 to quit within the span of a few weeks - others leaving for similar growth-opportunity frustrations. If you're looking for a place where your career has the potential to grow, take that into consideration. Envato's attitude towards diversity is... puzzling. There are lots of people at Envato who truly believe in diversity in the workplace - and plenty who don't. Overall, there is a strange, condescending attitude towards 'diversity initiatives', much of it coming from upper management. It's just not about filling quotas for new women hires. It's about taking a stand against sexist comments in all-hands meetings, and not rolling your eyes at anything diversity-related. There are people at Envato who insist that sexism or discrimination - both as concepts in general, and at Envato specifically - is somehow "not real". The original 'startup story' of Collis and Cyan - smart, young couple with a passion for a business idea, bootstraps a successful company - is a true one and a good one. Collis is a smart, inspirational person, who is kind, approachable, and fun to work with. If only he was around more to actually lead! With Collis focusing on other things and Cyan off launching a new chocolate company, they seem to have abandoned a sinking ship . Envato seems to hide behind pseudo-excitement and announcements - constant celebratory milestone parties, excessive boasting about their Code Like a Girl partnership, new product launches with thoughtless follow-through, mindless repeating of values, new artwork in HQ. Meanwhile, they ignore the actual growing discontent and unhappiness of their employees. Where there was once inspirational, thoughtful leaders, there are now numbers-obsessed managers, and a cold, corporate culture. It's a place where short-term thinking sales wins over any real strategy. In short, Envato feels like it has lost its soul. What could have been a great place to work was ultimately just a disappointing, frustrating, and damaging experience.

27 people found this review helpful

Envato Response

Talent Acquisition Manager

On behalf of Envato, I'm sorry you've had this experience. It's certainly not what we want for any of our people. I've only just joined Envato as the CPO and I'd appreciate the opportunity to discuss this with you. Thanks, Michelle

7. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

A once great company ruined by arrogance

Jan 12, 2018 - Anonymous Employee in Melbourne
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Core hours from 10 til 4, you decide when to get in/what time you leave - Work from home is very common and officially allowed any day of the week, although in reality it depends on the team you'll be in. Some teams agree to work from home 4 days a week, but in other teams even 1 day a week is frowned upon. - Maternity leave plan is quite good for Australian standards. So all in all it's a very good place if you have a family because you have the liberty to work around school hours, doctors appointmens and so on - Possibility of working from anywhere in the world for up to 3 months a year. This is another amazing one, but again depending on the team you're in you might have different experience, depending on who has to approve it....you might get nonsensical requests like "Can you work Melbourne hours" when you're going to Europe.... uhhhh no thanks - Some of the people are incredibly smart and talented, although when I left the trend seemed to be that more and more mediocre people with their mediocre culture were pushing the very good people out.

Cons

- If you're not in the "cool people" club, forget about promotions or having your ideas valued. There's a clique that revolves around key figures of the leadership teams and if you're not the kind of person that likes their photos on Instagram or goes to Friday drinks with them, you're out. It's like high school. This creates disparity, inequality, unfair treatment, and obviously makes good people go away - HR is part of said clique, don't even think of going to them to ask for help for career progression—every time I needed HR they were useless and always busy preserving the status quo and covering for embarrassing mistakes made by people in leadership positions. They like to gossip and drinking on Friday, if you need something from them you may have better luck asking them when they're drunk or adding some juicy story to grab their attention - For a tech company with a well-established product, the lack of interest for the product function and the UX side of things within the company is staggering. They are ruled by short-term vision and a marketing approach of "let's bring in more customers today, tomorrow...eh, we'll see" they haven't delivered a good product in ages because all the choices they make are either based on their weird and malfunctioning "agile" processes or on marketing campaigns that lack long-term benefit. - It used to be a company where you felt like you were changing people's lives, the company values and the interests of the community were brought up during almost every meeting. Now you see these big-ego corporate-mindset arrogant leaders and the people they hired talking about "the community" but not having even the slightest idea of the kind of people that make the community, not reading the forums, not knowing their stories. They throw around the "community" thing because it makes them sound cool, but all they care about is making more money which is very different from what it used to be - It's a company for extroverts where if you know who to talk to during Friday drinks you'll get promoted, otherwise you just won't be valued at all, even if you've got amazing ideas. I've seen incredibly talented people with tons of experience not get promoted, and be outranked by others that were waaay less experienced/impactful but knew who to talk to. Those cases were revolting not only for the fact itself, but also for how the communications were handled, how the "introverts" were treated and how HR demonstrated their complete lack of care for the employees. - Don't be fooled when they tell you "there is a flat structure in this company", it's not true, hierarchy is there and well visible, it's becoming worse and worse as the company becomes more of a corporate environment. - Most leadership needs to be brought back to their senses. They seem to think that a company like this one doesn't need a product director. Product managers and marketing people are some of the most "politicking" arrogant people I've ever met, there is a poisonous attitude of "don't step on my toes" instead of "sure, let's work together" that literally goes against all the values that the company claims to live by. - I have seen people very high up in the leadership chain behave like real bullies, making fun of employees in front of the whole company, something that would have never been accepted if it had been done by someone else but because it's *them*, then it's OK....HR people were laughing and clapping along of course.

19 people found this review helpful
    8. 5.0
      Former Employee

A company that listens

Mar 9, 2016 - Anonymous Employee in Melbourne
      Business Outlook

Pros

The People The recruiting process is a great reflection of what it’s like when you’re actually working at Envato. I’d never met so many nice, down to earth people in one company. A lot of this comes from the culture created by the founders. The Work Envato is an evolving company and with that comes the opportunity to work on big, meaty projects. You can have real impact within the business and it’s really rewarding. The Trust & Flexibility While a lot of people talk about flexibility (work from home and flexible start and finish times) I think it demonstrates the overall trust embedded within the organisation. No one is keeping a tab of when you clock on and clock off; They’re focussed on output. You’re Heard I’ve worked at a bunch of companies, big and small, and one thing Envato does better than any of them is listen. There’s a big focus on employee satisfaction. I never really understood the value of HR until I started working at Envato. In previous companies, I’d see HR when I started at the company and then when I finished. At Envato, they’re constantly visible and actively launching new initiatives to benefit staff.

Cons

Change If you don’t like change, Envato isn’t for you. During my time at Envato, the company changed a lot. These changes were exciting, but also challenging. It’s not for everyone! Listening Too Much One frustrating thing about working at Envato is some staff have a massive sense of entitlement. I felt that because we were so looked after by the company, a lot of people began to expect too much. Growing Pains Envato hired over 150 people while I worked there. While they nailed most of the hiring, there would have been half a dozen people who weren’t the best hires. I think it’s a lot more noticeable when there is a bad hire when you have so many nice people within one team! Most of them left the company, but there are some traces of them as I look at the reviews here. They’re easy to pick, because they don’t seem to have anything nice to say!

9 people found this review helpful
    9. 5.0
      Current Contractor, less than 1 year

Amazing place to work

Mar 8, 2016 - Anonymous Contractor in Melbourne
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flexibility, fun passionate people, values driven company. I was genuinely surprised when I first started here because I hadn't worked in such an awesome workplace before and I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop but it eventually dawned on me that it's just actually awesome. It's not perfect, but what is? While Collis (CEO) is obviously really busy, he's one of the most approachable, friendly and humble people I've met and I think this is largely responsible for making it the type of workplace where people genuinely feel valued. Flexible options abound; Work from home, work from anywhere, etc. They're very results focused so you don't get the feeling anyone's looking over your shoulder. There's no rushing to get to work for some arbitrary 'start' time. Great benefits; standing desks, bean-bags, ps4, pool table, table-tennis, communal dining area, snacks in kitchens, outdoor courtyard. These all add up and make it quite an enjoyable and social workplace. The flat-ish structure of the company lends itself to making employees feel quite equal. HR actually have a sense of humour, care for and set out to support employees. They work hard to make it an awesome workplace so that they can attract awesome, passionate people and at the end of the day they benefit by getting to work alongside said awesome, passionate people. For a company without a tall hierarchy they offer impressive career progression.

Cons

If you're just after top dollar and don't care about enjoyment at work / working with fun people there might be other options better suited. My first few weeks I had a tonne of coffee-meet'n'greets with people all around the business and developed a bit of a caffeine habit. It can get really busy at times

Continue reading
      Be the first to find this review helpful
    10. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Unethical company

Oct 16, 2015 - Customer Service Representative in Melbourne
      Business Outlook

Pros

Some work from home flexibility and discounted drinks,snaks etc

Cons

Dealing with literally hundreds of complaints from customers who were unhappy with the products they had purchased. Feeling compelled to fob customers off - basically this company is a poor example of modern capitalism. Its all about greed. I feel like we rip people off (customer basically in order to stay in line with managemet

7 people found this review helpful

Envato Response

Recruitment Team at Envato

Thanks for your review. It's great that you enjoy our work flexibility and office benefits. The community and our customers are our backbone and we always try to make decisions with their best interests in mind. It is critical to us that we have a win-win approach to work and if you don't feel this is happening we would really love to continue this conversation with you directly and hear your ideas, including specific feedback. If you'd like to chat confidentially about this feedback please contact HR Director James Law at james.law@envato.com as he'd really like to continue this conversation.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 13 Reviews