Find jobs for Certified Personal Trainer

Equinox Fitness Certified Personal Trainer Reviews

Updated 5 Feb 2020

3.3
Equinox Fitness Executive Chairman, Managing Partner Harvey Spevak (no image)
Harvey Spevak
0 Rating
  1. "It is not everything it is advertised to be!"

4.0
    Current Employee - Certified Personal Trainer in San Francisco, CA
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Equinox Fitness part-time for less than a year

Pros

-Equinox is widely known -Education -Famous trainers

Cons

-Pay is far too low -Crazy schedule -High expectations for low pay

"Competitive, difficult to do well unless you're a "favorite""

Current Employee - Certified Personal Trainer in Los Angeles, CA
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Equinox Fitness part-time for more than a year

Pros

The club is a fun place to work. Most of the people who work at Equinox are upbeat and fun to be around. And it's nice having a gym to workout at. Especially if you work at an Equinox that has a lot of amenities - a pool, steam room, etc. If you're lucky enough to work at a big location, such as a sports club, you have a great opportunity to make a lot of money. If the managers and membership advisors like you, you can definitely make tons of money.

Cons

There's a lot of sales involved. You can't be too shy to ask for business. The membership advisors and managers definitely play favorites. Some of the trainers get clients handed to them, one after the other, while others don't get any at all. Some trainers simply get handed lists of dead end leads. The current rule is that you are only able to workout at the location you work at unless it's the weekend. I find myself not wanting to workout, because I'm there so much and my workout is my "me time." I don't want to be at work for my "me time!" Some of the members can be extremely rude. These people have money and some are incredibly nice, but the others are incredibly AWFUL! Sometimes I feel like I'm in a real life SNL skit! FLOOR SHIFTS!!! Personal trainers are required to work full time and until you are training at a minimum of 96 sessions per month, you are required to work 5 floor shifts per week in which you have to "tidy up" the gym, so, basically clean up after the slobbish members for three hours at a time. They leave their weights and equipment all over and towels and bottles everywhere...it's ridiculous. Management claims these shifts are a way for us to get business, but rarely do people get clients on floor shifts.

Continue reading
  3. "Great place to get experience."

2.0
    Former Contractor - Certified Personal Trainer

I worked at Equinox Fitness for more than 8 years

Pros

Pro education culture. Absolutely the best fitness has to offer. Clean and beautiful facilities. Energetic.

Cons

When I was there, health insurance benefits were tied to how many sessions one performed in a pay period. There was always the constant fear of losing it due to client vacations, illness, etc. Huge pressure to attend unpaid meetings. Not family-friendly.

"Amazing workplace"

5.0
    Former Employee - Certified Personal Trainer in Bethesda, MD

I worked at Equinox Fitness full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fantastic onboarding and training. Great management. Obviously it's a corporate gym so if inexperienced or new to the work force, expect to meet standards and perform up to par. Potential lifetime career work in any and all positions.

Cons

None. It really is a great company.

5. "First personal training position experience"

Former Employee - Certified Personal Trainer

I worked at Equinox Fitness part-time for more than a year

Pros

continuing education, team spirit, team building, beautiful gym

Cons

hard to get clients, no benefits

"Management, Workplace Professionalism, Work-Life Balance"

1.0
    Former Employee - Certified Personal Trainer in New York, NY

I worked at Equinox Fitness full-time

Pros

None.... there is such little work life balance I never even wanted to use the gym to workout.

Cons

Zero work-life balance. They expect you to be available from 5am-11pm. Poor management style - unaware of what's going on with employee team bonding, workplace sexual misconduct, and within the member locker rooms. Managers would provide "leads" to new trainers, however those are often members who haven't been to the gym in months or upon getting in touch with them, you find out they have asked numerous times to be taken off the cold calling list. The management expects you to schedule your life around a schedule they have created that requires you to be at the gym for 2-4 hours increments 2-3 times a day... in addition to going to meetings that are in a different part of the city. No way to live while working for this company.

"The Impossible Position of a Personal Trainer"

2.0
    Former Employee - Certified Personal Trainer in Houston, TX

I worked at Equinox Fitness full-time for more than a year

Pros

Working at this luxury-focused gym grants some perceived prestige. PTs are able to meet clientele with money to spend on their health and well-being.

Cons

New Personal Trainers (PT) are placed in an impossible position. Catch-22 #1 As a Tier 1 Personal Trainer, you are allocated only 4 hours per week of administrative time that's billable. This job requires two or three times than that in order to effectively handle communications, do sales, and generate and update workout programs. When asked about this discrepancy, management gave the non-answer of "that's just the policy." Catch-22 #2 New hires are required to work floor shifts, in which one cleans up the floor and approaches members for sales. A new hire is assigned up to 5 of these 4 hour shifts (20 hours per week!) The floor shifts are poorly paid at $8.05 per hour in Texas. The only way to be freed from doing floor shifts is to accumulate a quota of sessions. The catch is that working sessions during floor shifts is prohibited. This creates a group of poorly paid, exploited employees who are stuck on the floor shift for months. Catch-22 #3 A PT is given the goal of becoming full-time. However, I saw that the team only has around 9 to 11 full-time employees out of a team of 36. There are trainers who have been at the club for a year or more and are not quite full-time. The catch is that the club would hire 6 new PTs every 4-6 weeks. Out of those 6, 1 might stay. There are too many mouths to feed while new membership growth is weak and existing members quit because of price increases. Also, a young, rookie trainer's time is priced at $110, which is very expensive relative to other options in Houston.

8. "Personal trainer"

Current Employee - Certified Personal Trainer

I have been working at Equinox Fitness full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Amazing Personal Training Manager. Very knowledgeable

Cons

Needs to focus more on customer service

9. "Personal Training Pros/Cons"

Former Employee - Certified Personal Trainer

I worked at Equinox Fitness full-time for more than a year

Pros

Equinox provides you with a unique opportunity to build a high profile clientele base with an hourly rate that is unmatched as you move up the Tier system. Should you succeed at building a solid clientele base, this can be a really great occupation with decent work life balance when you come up with a training schedule that works for you and your clients.

Cons

Depending on your location, it can be difficult to develop relationships with membership advisors as there is often quick turn around in staff. Ultimately membership advisors will be the ones to send you clients. Entering an environment with a longstanding training staff, it can also be hard to gain management's trust as someone they can refer clients to when they have a set system and preferred trainers. This means, until you build your clientele, you will be wearing a blue shirt, racking weights, making minimum wage with minimum hours.

10. "Personal trainer"

Certified Personal Trainer in New York, NY

I worked at Equinox Fitness for more than 8 years

Pros

Flexibility independence and good exposure and learning opportunities

Cons

Managers put unrealistic goals on sales

Found 15 reviews