Event Cinemas Employee Reviews about "upper management"

Updated 18 Feb 2020

3.3
Pros
Cons
  • "upper management will always be breathing down your neck looking for mistakes when you first start working there(in 5 reviews)

• "If you roster time off, or swap shifts with other people, you will be punished with 0 hours or max(in 5 reviews)

Reviews about "upper management"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Great culture"

4.0

I worked at Event Cinemas full-time

Pros

Great team of people to work with Supervisors and duty managers extremely supportive Overall a really good experience

Cons

Upper management don't appear to care about the staff who are looking after their customers. Have no idea what goes on, on a day to day basis

Continue reading
  2. "Stay away unless you want a casual uni job."

Former Contractor - Duty Manager in Brisbane

I worked at Event Cinemas for more than 5 years

Pros

Discounted tickets and accommodation at hotels also owned by Event group. Flexibility due to long opening times (good for uni students) Friendly coworkers (mostly) Less aggressive customers than some other retail and hospitality jobs.

Cons

A lot of weekend work without penalty rate pay. Middle to upper management are largely incompetent and have been promoted on the basis of who they've sucked up to, rather than competency. Little to no further training Casual work so unreliable hours, not steady enough to pay the bills if you live out of home. If your boss takes a liking to you you'll do well at Event, otherwise forget it. I was with the company for nearly 8 years and ended up resigning due to unresolved bullying from my boss. Higher up's just took his word for 'what I really meant' when it was clear that was not the case. I have found out he is targeting another employee now. Upper management trying to pit staff against one another.

"Manager Duty"

2.0

I have been working at Event Cinemas part-time

Pros

Good people site level, makes for a good direct working environment

Cons

Upper management are incredibly incompetent, head office think they know how to run the site but they don’t Customers are rude and

"yikes"

I worked at Event Cinemas part-time

Pros

good discounts on movies but you can’t see popular or new release movies until theyre practically finished showing so what's even the point

Cons

management stresses that they are a "fun" company and you will enjoy working there but the nature of the job is competitive, discouraging and exhausting. upper management will always be breathing down your neck looking for mistakes when you first start working there. when u make mistakes or do something wrong during your probation, instead of helping you improve or focusing on things you did well, they'll just get rid of you. abruptly. all their new employees are disposable to them and that's just tea. also no weekend penalties..yikes

Continue reading

"Poor Management, No HR Department, Rude Customers=Unnecessarily stressful casual job"

Food and Beverage Supervisor in Bondi

I have been working at Event Cinemas

Pros

- the cheap movie tickets (i.e. free - let's be honest, no one actually buys a staff pass) - being positioned in a major shopping precinct so close to shops/public transport

Cons

- Snacking on junk food and sweets (popcorn, soft drinks, choc tops, Gold Class food & beverages, leftovers, etc. I've put on so much weight - extremely rude customers in Gold Class (entitled upper class people) - i've gone home in shakes and tears after being called names from customers - these experiences have made me dwell on their awful comments for days afterwards - yet no counselling is provided or even offered, and the worst is that if you have a formal complaint about upper management there is really no way to escalate the issue without going through them as Events (as big as the company is) does not even have a HR department.. - poor rostering due to supposed "low payroll" issues that have been occurring for way too long, as a result extremely busy Friday or Saturday nights may only see around 6 people rostered in Gold Class bar/kitchen and as a result food is late, food gets run in cold, people have anxiety attacks from the stress of it all, people miss out on breaks, people faint from being hungry - we work so hard and are given very little recognition/praise from upper management - instead they go home at the end of financial year with a nice little cash bonus for under-rostering every working week. The wage - not worth it. - sexist promotions (I saw three men who were hired after me and who were less experienced than me be promoted and paid more, when they were not fit to supervise a team) - this is also an issue of favouritism amongst upper management. - most the colleagues that you work with on your level are fine, but upper management are authoritative, cowardly idiots who haven't got the slightest idea of how to talk to staff, let alone treat them - recently hight turn around - we've lost 4 duty managers in the last couple of months (that's 50% of the management team) and recently lost another 4 casual employees in the last couple of weeks - that's just to name a few ^

Continue reading

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 5 reviews