Evox Images Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

David Falstrup

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Very Happy"

I have been working at Evox Images full-time

Pros

The environment is very relaxed and friendly. The staff here are also very helpful and the resources available are very up to date and technically sufficient.

Cons

Can be challenging but that is good at times.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

"Strategic Account Executive"

I have been working at Evox Images full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Not a good place for me.

Cons

I would not recommend this place to anyone.

Advice to Management

Learn to comply with the Labor code.

"Just don't. Seriously. Save yourself and walk away."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rancho Dominguez, CA (US)

Pros

The company has an amazing work/life balance. With rare exception, you don't have to work long hours or take work home, and getting time off is a breeze.

Outside of management, the people are some of the kindest, most hard working folks I've ever had the pleasure of knowing.

Cons

First, most, if not all of the five star reviews are lies. The company actively puts pressure on employees to post good reviews to counter the honest (bad) ones. In fact, you can almost certainly bet that one particular senior exec is writing most of them.

That said, this company is a school case study in how NOT to run a successful business. From the manic, almost pathological whims and direction changes that are constantly in play to the unreasonable performance expectations, lack of knowledge, and the lack of respect the upper management pays to the workers, I have never seen anything so dysfunctional.

Look, I could opine about the terrible morale, or how the company headcount is one quarter what it was less than four years ago because they can't afford to keep vital positions because they are constantly buying new furniture and shiny new tech that can't be used. Or how everyone is using state of the art computers that connect to an IT infrastructure that is woefully out of date and overloaded because, again, the CEO didn't like the desks and ordered all new ones. Instead, ask yourself these questions:

Do you want to work for a company that values it's senior management so little that it has the director IT going to the Apple store to replace the CEO's teenage son's iPhone or coming to his house to fix his WiFi?

Do you really want to work for a company that does things on a whim without a business case, wastes tens of thousands of dollars going down foreseeable dead ends when they are losing money hand over fist?

Do you really want to work for a company that has sales people that don't have a clue what they are selling and can't handle a simple client phone call without involving the people that do the work?

Do you really want to be paid pennies on the dollar (compared to competitive market salaries) with a few trifling benefits (provided by the owner/CEOs wife, natch) for the work you do only to see it flushed in six months when you are either laid off (like clockwork every March and September) or the company suddenly goes in another direction, chasing some other windmill?

Do you want to spend your days fixing problems over and over again that shouldn't have occurred because unqualified or shady executives were trying to be slick and get around contract terms, or outright ignore them? How about serious violations that, in a public company, could land them in jail?

Do you want to work in an environment where your boss doesn't know, understand, or care what you do and sets unreasonable expectations for quarterly goals that will change halfway through with no thought given to the bonus money you lose (however pathetic the amount is)?

Do you want a job with little to no advancement opportunities?

This company is all about the appearance of success without the actual success to back it up. Competent, honest, hardworking people don't last there. They all see the dysfunction and run. If you don't care about any of that stuff, Evox is the place for you. Everyone else, don't waste your time.

If the company is around in two years, I'll be shocked.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees, the ones that make the money, like they matter. Be honest internally and with clients. Hire competent management.

Evox Images Response

19 Dec 2016 – CFO

We are sorry you had an unhappy experience working with us. Our leadership is dedicated to listening to our employees to create a working environment we can all be proud of. We continue to find... More

"Dont be fooled"

Former Employee - CG Modeler in Rancho Dominguez, CA (US)
    Former Employee - CG Modeler in Rancho Dominguez, CA (US)

Pros

A lot of talent and potential. Oppurtunity to move up on the job title list fast

Cons

Dont be fooled. They hand out job titles that is only that, a couple of words. Half of management at the least have probably never managed before and they arent gaining experience at evox. Sales team dont sell anything, they wont even pick up a phone when it rings. The h.r. deptartment have no business being in h.r. They definately dont know Californias laws and id bet money they lead evox to court any time now. Its a circus and guessing game

Advice to Management

take a good look at your jpb title, research the meaning and learn to work it. Thendevote some time into studying. Business law,osha rules and regs,safety...

"Just... Don't"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rancho Dominguez, CA (US)

I worked at Evox Images full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great titles... if that's what you're looking for.

Cons

I feel like this is where dreams go to die.

Advice to Management

Management? What management. They can't hold on to anyone for more than a year.

"Skilled Artists-Horrible Managing"

Former Employee - CG Artist in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Former Employee - CG Artist in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at Evox Images full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Medical benefits if you get out of temp status.
    -The CG team is very skilled.
    -Good only for your first job or you're desperate.

Cons

-Management is illogical and does not understand the difference between established artistic processes and actual intellectual property.
    -Employment contracts contain verbage that is illegal and unenforcible in the state of California.
    -Tools used are not appropriate for modeling and rendering resulting in hours and hours of wasted time and effort by the CG team.
    -Methods are archaic, inefficient, and counter-intuitive for an artist but insisted on by management.
    -Artists that question these methods and the company's stance on artist's own creative work done in their own time at home are harrased and threatened with law suits.
    -Pay is well below industry standard for the type work done.
    -Inconsistent internet policies. Some employees watch and discuss lewd videos but HR choses not to act while others are let go for "personal surfing".

Advice to Management

-Allow artistic professionals real input into how things are done; don't rely on managers that have no artistic or creative background.
    -Pay appropriate living wages to your artists since in theory they are what provides your income.
    -Learn and follow employment laws in California as well as what actually makes something a Company's intellectual property.

"Innovative Company w/ Difficult Management"

I worked at Evox Images full-time

Pros

- Very progressive thinking re: image creation and technology
    - Run with the enthusiasm and intensity or a start-up (despite being a nearly 20 year old company)
    - Great talent, especially on the creative side
    - Very tight knit teams
    - Lots of support, training, and motivation for self-starters and ambitious individuals
    - For those that stand out—unparalleled business ops education

Cons

During my time there (may be different now)
    - Location made recruiting top flight talent a challenge
    - Compensation discussions were deeply combative
    - Upper level management was inconsistent—sometimes erratically shifted between supportive and intimidating
    - Sometimes felt like working in a personal experimental space and less a company of professionals
    - Deeply entrenched and sedentary, long-term, low to mid level employees that don't fit the innovative, lean and mean company culture

Advice to Management

I made recommendations upon my departure. Whether or not they were acknowledged is moot—it seems like they are doing a great job now and the prospects seem bright. My time was rough but I learned a great deal. I reported to the CEO and he could be brilliant, supportive, and driven but also very emotional and withering. Anyone up for a challenge should consider working with them. From what I've been told, it's a much better place than the one I left.

"Stepping Stone"

Former Employee - CG Modeler
    Former Employee - CG Modeler

Pros

40 hours per week job.

Cons

The pay is not that great.

"Great Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rancho Dominguez, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rancho Dominguez, CA (US)

I have been working at Evox Images full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I love this Company. It is a great place to work as there’s plenty of opportunity to learn and grow. The CEO is awesome. The company is entrepreneurial, continuously trying new technology. I’m proud to be part of a company that is the leader in the automotive imaging space. What I like most is there is a team environment where employees collaborate and support each other.

Cons

No company is perfect but this is the best place I’ve ever worked without a doubt. I see staying here a long time to build my career.

Advice to Management

I've been given the resources and support I need to succeed so far. Continue to provide the same resources and tools to your employees you have up until now.

"Love the culture!"

Pros

My experience with Evox has been positive from the interview to the full-time status. The recruiters, managers and the staff are amazing, friendly and approachable. I actually feel happy to go to work on Mondays (...yes Monday's).

Cons

Can't think of any cons.

Advice to Management

Keep your dedicated employees happy. :)