Evox Images Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

Updated 29 October 2018

Full-timePart-time

David Falstrup

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Startup vibe / Growth opps / Great people"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rancho Dominguez, CA (US)

I worked at Evox Images full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked in a department that had a primary focus on creating custom work or "build to order" direct to client or through their agencies. This is a company that had a licensing business model, so allowing for a custom content department was a bit of a battle, but also an incredible opportunity to be a part of. My contributions in the beginning were run under a microscope by a driven CEO...he will hold you accountable. Perhaps that should be seen as a con at times, but the man is an engineer and a rocket scientist... Be prepared to support your claims. He has an entrepreneur spirit, which is exciting at times and stressful at others. If you take change as a welcome challenge, you'll be fine.

Our department developed a level of account focus that I feel brought the company into many new territories, and created new types of client relationships. It improved the variety in our business that it owes the artists behind the work a great deal of thanks. If you work in that department, they have a solid foundation with years of pipeline refinement that is lead by very talented minds. If you have an idea to help it grow, be the type to present with confidence and know that same team will support you.

The people that I got to know over the years while working with Evox, made it what it was. I know that when reading through some of the other reviews, you'll see some mixed emotions... I'm not here to validate or deny any claims. I'm simply writing that my experience was what I allowed it to be, and if I was truly unhappy, I would have left and stated that as my reason in this forum. I now find myself missing my coworkers because they are incredibly talented, passionate, and make coming into work a pleasant experience. They laugh at my jokes and I'm not even that funny.
    I respected my management because you'll find they have some major experience that they bring to the table. You will be taught quite a bit if you involve yourself when given the opportunity. Lead management can open pretty much any agency or OEM door that you need opened. The only problem is that it takes a good 30 minutes or so to get through all the greetings before even getting to the meeting room. If your tasked with business development, this is a great problem to have.

Maybe you were looking for a bulleted list. In a nutshell, this is the takeaway:
    -Talented coworkers
    -Opportunity to grow if you're the type to go take it on
    -You will wear multiple hats if they fit (it's good for you and your resume will thank you)
    -Management has the experience to back their influence
    -CEO likes to stay closely involved

Cons

See above novel and decide for yourself.

Advice to Management

Provide transparency to company development and changes. The townhall meetings are great to support that. Allow the people that work there to know they have a voice and it will allow for the perspective I know you have, but also confirm that everyone is being heard.

1 Nov 2018 – CFO

Thank you for your web thought out post. You clearly understand and appreciate our company culture. Our culture is a people oriented, dynamic, fluid and technical environment that one can learn and... More

2. "Compelling work with mostly sincere and kind people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rancho Dominguez, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rancho Dominguez, CA (US)

I have been working at Evox Images part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Evox tends to respect work / life balance. Evening and weekend work is not encouraged. People are sincere and kind. The work is interesting.

Cons

Not a lot of lunch options in the area. Sometimes competing projects require juggling of priorities.

1 Nov 2018 – CFO

Your comments are appreciated, thank you. The culture here about the people we are, and try to encourage a relaxed, friendly and social environment. We feel that it is important to have balance... More

"Pushing exciting boundaries in an at times messy manner"

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Evox Images full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Doing exciting Industry leading work
    - Great work / life balance by far one of the least stressful atmospheres I've had the pleasure of working in .
    - Large variety of projects going on at once it's actually pretty difficult to stagnate too much in an environment where something new is being developed, researched, or explored on any given day .

Cons

- Development roadmaps and schedules fluctuate sporadically at times . Sometimes a project is an immediate priority , then falls on the backburner until an immediate resurged interest pops up .

- It can be frustrating communicating the technical possibilities of vaguely defined projects with management sometimes. Sometimes questions asked are similar to " How long is a piece of string ?" . Without project details it's next to impossible to give concrete project answers.

- Not much of a sense of culture within the studio , most people come in , do their hours and go home which is fine but considering it's a studio the utilizes a lot of creative people to do the job there is definitely an inner passion most employees have that I feel may not be explored and who knows what that could yield ?

Advice to Management

- Most management has a very shallow understanding of technology and the actual work that goes into producing some of the VR / AR and tech products. My biggest suggestion is perhaps exposing them to what that process looks like and all the pieces involved.

- I am actually really appreciative of the studios stability which is generally a rare word to here within the tech industry from any company that's not a household name . The studio is focused on creating and refining the best product not necessarily doing it perfect the first time which is something many tech studios flounder at.

"Niche photography/imaging business with an interesting silicon beach mentality."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in East Rancho Dominguez, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in East Rancho Dominguez, CA (US)

I have been working at Evox Images full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Evox is a relaxed and fun work environment, hours are flexible, projects are challenging and the employees are a great group of people. Pay is around market value, benefits are decent. Nice location & modern equipment that's provided to work on. Some of the bleeding edge tech projects are really fun and exciting to be a part of. There is always room to learn new skills and technologies here.

Cons

Vacation / sick time could be more generous and the lack of a matching 401k is disappointing. The bonus program is not well managed and is more of a frustration than a benefit.

Advice to Management

Focus and streamline products and workflows, get the bonus program under control, be more open and communicative with your employees on a regular basis.

"Very Happy"

I have been working at Evox Images full-time

Pros

The environment is very relaxed and friendly. The staff here are also very helpful and the resources available are very up to date and technically sufficient.

Cons

Can be challenging but that is good at times.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

"Strategic Account Executive"

I have been working at Evox Images full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Not a good place for me.

Cons

I would not recommend this place to anyone.

Advice to Management

Learn to comply with the Labor code.

"Just don't. Seriously. Save yourself and walk away."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rancho Dominguez, CA (US)

Pros

The company has an amazing work/life balance. With rare exception, you don't have to work long hours or take work home, and getting time off is a breeze.

Outside of management, the people are some of the kindest, most hard working folks I've ever had the pleasure of knowing.

Cons

First, most, if not all of the five star reviews are lies. The company actively puts pressure on employees to post good reviews to counter the honest (bad) ones. In fact, you can almost certainly bet that one particular senior exec is writing most of them.

That said, this company is a school case study in how NOT to run a successful business. From the manic, almost pathological whims and direction changes that are constantly in play to the unreasonable performance expectations, lack of knowledge, and the lack of respect the upper management pays to the workers, I have never seen anything so dysfunctional.

Look, I could opine about the terrible morale, or how the company headcount is one quarter what it was less than four years ago because they can't afford to keep vital positions because they are constantly buying new furniture and shiny new tech that can't be used. Or how everyone is using state of the art computers that connect to an IT infrastructure that is woefully out of date and overloaded because, again, the CEO didn't like the desks and ordered all new ones. Instead, ask yourself these questions:

Do you want to work for a company that values it's senior management so little that it has the director IT going to the Apple store to replace the CEO's teenage son's iPhone or coming to his house to fix his WiFi?

Do you really want to work for a company that does things on a whim without a business case, wastes tens of thousands of dollars going down foreseeable dead ends when they are losing money hand over fist?

Do you really want to work for a company that has sales people that don't have a clue what they are selling and can't handle a simple client phone call without involving the people that do the work?

Do you really want to be paid pennies on the dollar (compared to competitive market salaries) with a few trifling benefits (provided by the owner/CEOs wife, natch) for the work you do only to see it flushed in six months when you are either laid off (like clockwork every March and September) or the company suddenly goes in another direction, chasing some other windmill?

Do you want to spend your days fixing problems over and over again that shouldn't have occurred because unqualified or shady executives were trying to be slick and get around contract terms, or outright ignore them? How about serious violations that, in a public company, could land them in jail?

Do you want to work in an environment where your boss doesn't know, understand, or care what you do and sets unreasonable expectations for quarterly goals that will change halfway through with no thought given to the bonus money you lose (however pathetic the amount is)?

Do you want a job with little to no advancement opportunities?

This company is all about the appearance of success without the actual success to back it up. Competent, honest, hardworking people don't last there. They all see the dysfunction and run. If you don't care about any of that stuff, Evox is the place for you. Everyone else, don't waste your time.

If the company is around in two years, I'll be shocked.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees, the ones that make the money, like they matter. Be honest internally and with clients. Hire competent management.

19 Dec 2016 – CFO

We are sorry you had an unhappy experience working with us. Our leadership is dedicated to listening to our employees to create a working environment we can all be proud of. We continue to find... More

"Dont be fooled"

Former Employee - CG Modeler in Rancho Dominguez, CA (US)
    Former Employee - CG Modeler in Rancho Dominguez, CA (US)

Pros

A lot of talent and potential. Oppurtunity to move up on the job title list fast

Cons

Dont be fooled. They hand out job titles that is only that, a couple of words. Half of management at the least have probably never managed before and they arent gaining experience at evox. Sales team dont sell anything, they wont even pick up a phone when it rings. The h.r. deptartment have no business being in h.r. They definately dont know Californias laws and id bet money they lead evox to court any time now. Its a circus and guessing game

Advice to Management

take a good look at your jpb title, research the meaning and learn to work it. Thendevote some time into studying. Business law,osha rules and regs,safety...

"Just... Don't"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rancho Dominguez, CA (US)

I worked at Evox Images full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great titles... if that's what you're looking for.

Cons

I feel like this is where dreams go to die.

Advice to Management

Management? What management. They can't hold on to anyone for more than a year.

"Skilled Artists-Horrible Managing"

Former Employee - CG Artist in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Former Employee - CG Artist in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at Evox Images full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Medical benefits if you get out of temp status.
    -The CG team is very skilled.
    -Good only for your first job or you're desperate.

Cons

-Management is illogical and does not understand the difference between established artistic processes and actual intellectual property.
    -Employment contracts contain verbage that is illegal and unenforcible in the state of California.
    -Tools used are not appropriate for modeling and rendering resulting in hours and hours of wasted time and effort by the CG team.
    -Methods are archaic, inefficient, and counter-intuitive for an artist but insisted on by management.
    -Artists that question these methods and the company's stance on artist's own creative work done in their own time at home are harrased and threatened with law suits.
    -Pay is well below industry standard for the type work done.
    -Inconsistent internet policies. Some employees watch and discuss lewd videos but HR choses not to act while others are let go for "personal surfing".

Advice to Management

-Allow artistic professionals real input into how things are done; don't rely on managers that have no artistic or creative background.
    -Pay appropriate living wages to your artists since in theory they are what provides your income.
    -Learn and follow employment laws in California as well as what actually makes something a Company's intellectual property.