Exelon Employee Reviews about "long hours"

Updated 26 May 2020

4.0
Exelon President & CEO Christopher M. Crane
Christopher M. Crane
Pros
  • "Good pay, reasonable hours, nice environment(in 66 reviews)

• "Exelon legitimately does have above-market pay and benefits(in 60 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work life balance, plant closed earlier than expected(in 68 reviews)

• "Engineers are stretched very thin and often work long hours(in 29 reviews)

Reviews about "long hours"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Great"

Current Employee - Electrical Design Engineer in Oswego, NY

I have been working at Exelon full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great work environment friendly people

Cons

No cons just get used to having fun and long hours

June 25, 2020Senior Talent Acquisition & Employment Brand Specialist

Thank you for taking time to provide a review. We appreciate your dedication and hard work that enables us to achieve our shared purpose, and we're glad that you enjoy working at Exelon!

2. "Lots of challenges, exciting work"

Current Employee - Media Relations Manager

I have been working at Exelon full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Extremely talented and skilled workforce

Cons

Long hours and sometimes siloed teams

February 3, 2020Senior Talent Acquisition & Employment Brand Specialist

Thank you for sharing your feedback and giving us an opportunity to further improve. While we strive to support a healthy work life balance for our employees, we recognize that in some departments longer hours are needed at times. We appreciate your dedication and hard work that enables us to achieve our shared purpose.

"Over worked and undertrained"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Oswego, NY
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Exelon full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Competitive pay rate. Also the company has an emphasis on career progression. Also, they are attempting to cut the administrative burdens that plague engineers, although with extremely limited success.

Cons

The staff has been severely cut, through retirements and normal attrition, in an effort to reduce overhead. But no work has been cut. Engineers are stretched very thin and often work long hours. What makes the situation worse is the lack of knowledge retention. We have lost a lot of very smart folks with 30 plus years of experience to retirement but there is very little effort to transfer their knowledge and experience to new engineers. This means even when we hire new engineers they are essentially useless. All this creates an environment that sees an almost unheard of turnover rate. Since I have been at this specific job (5ish years), about 2 dozen engineers have quit systems and design engineering or taken jobs elsewhere in the company. Lastly, while there are great career progression opportunities, they come with a significant increase in hours. Most of the lowest level supervisors put 60 hours in on a regular, non event work week. Work to reduce that have not been fruitful.

June 24, 2019Talent Acquisition

Thank you for sharing this feedback with us.

4. "My experience"

5.0

I have been working at Exelon

Pros

Cool job, good pay, and friendly environment

Cons

Long hours (but doesn't bother me) and a lot of information to learn (also doesn't bother me)

December 4, 2018Talent Acquisition

This is great to hear! Thanks for sharing your feedback.

5. "Full Time"

I have been working at Exelon full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great pay and benefits. Excellent job security. Ability to move around the different companies and locations. Lots of internal opportunitys.

Cons

Storm Duty. Long hours. Storm Duty. Long hours. Storm Duty. Long hours. Storm Duty. Long hours. Storm Duty. Long hours. Storm Duty. Long hours.

April 26, 2018Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your feedback!! We are thrilled to see that you think highly of the company. As a company we strive to provide our employees with a vast number of opportunities throughout the company to ensure that they have a career that is fulfilling both personally and professionally. Thank you again for all the work that you do!

"Staff Accountant"

Current Employee - Staff Accountant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Exelon full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great place to work, alot of really smart people, awesome benefits, plenty of opportunities for advancement and to continue to learn, workplace flexibility is only improving and is already good, inclusive culture/workplace.

Cons

Depending on the group long hours can be expected occasionally however compared to many other companies it's not unreasonable. Communication between management and employees could improve at times as well as between groups within the company.

June 29, 2017Sr. Recruiting Programs Specialist

Thank you for your comment! We appreciate your willingness to share your experience with others and appreciate all the hard work you put in to support the company!

"Great place to start your next career"

Current Employee - Senior Project Controls in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Exelon full-time for less than a year

Pros

Exelon is a fortune 100 company offering an absolutely Awesome culture, best and most comprehensive benefits. I can honestly say I love my job, and our workgroup all the way from our VP down thru the Directors, Managers, Supervisor and our workgroup If you want a career where you are appreciated, valued and want to make a difference... Exelon is the place for you. My only regret is that I didn't' jump from my former employer and go to Exelon sooner! The workplace is great, fun people encouraging work life balance. Leadership not only listens to employees they actively solicited input, support creativity, nurture innovation, career development and advancement. Employees are easy to work with and very talented. Teamwork and collaboration drive our success. Everyone is passionate, down to earth Exelon is community focused, encourages and actively enables employees to give back to our communities and puts its money where it mouth is. As employees volunteer time and money Exelon gives additional bonuses to that company. Finally, the on-boarding is very comprehensive and implemented well! Everything from HR thru your new job duties, goals, roles, responsibilities, procedures, and work flow are documented, easy to follow and easy to find. Exelon has an awesome company and employee portal!

Cons

(While this may be a con for the employee... it is a big pro for our customers) Expect occasional long hours and an emergency response role. Work load and hours can be very demanding at times but there are opportunities for work life balance. We often have meetings and work thru lunch, however our management team appreciates our hard work and extra efforts by providing great meals I work in downtown Philadelphia. And I dreaded considering a long commute into the city. It was the primary reason I didn't consider an Exelon career sooner. Now that I have been working here for just under a year. I have come to appreciate the flexibility our management team provides. They offer state of the are video conferencing tools and are very understanding and supportive with flexible schedules and reporting locations. I can honestly say the pros far out weigh the cons!

May 1, 2017Sr. Recruiting Programs Specialist

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience and perspectives with the Glassdoor community! We are thrilled to hear about the great experiences you have already had and that you are championing the company and our outreach programs! We are always looking for new ways to grow our talent network and our employees are truly the best advocates of all the incredible work we do across the company. We are so glad you are here and cannot wait to see where your career at Exelon will take you!

8. "supervisor"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Forked River, NJ

I have been working at Exelon full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Hard work. But great people and benefits are amazing

Cons

Long hours but part of being management

May 8, 2017Sr. Recruiting Programs Specialist

Thank you for your comment! We appreciate your willingness to share your experience with others and appreciate all the hard work you put in to support our customers and business!

9. "Good place to work, good management"

4.0

I have been working at Exelon full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good place to work, good benefits, lots of opportunty

Cons

Long hours, the job is never done.

April 24, 2017Sr. Recruiting Programs Specialist

"Best overall"

Current Employee - Specialist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Exelon full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Best most comprehensive benefits anywhere. Annual bonus. Cutting edge utility industry technology.

Cons

Expect occasional long hours and a collateral duty emergency response role.

February 20, 2017Recruiting Programs Specialist

Thanks for your comment! We appreciate your feedback and value your insight. Thanks again!

Found 29 reviews