FDM Group Project Manager Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

Rod Flavell
  1. "IT Consultant"

Former Contractor - IT Project Manager in Singapore

I worked at FDM Group for more than a year

Pros

A diversified company with global present

Cons

Not much interaction with other consultants assigned to clients.

FDM Group2019-10-20
  2. "working at fdm"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Leeds, England

I have been working at FDM Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Opens doors to opportunities that would normally be difficult to get into.

Cons

training with no pay was quite difficult.

FDM Group2019-09-23

"The Worst Immoral Company in Existence"

I worked at FDM Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nil I can think of

Cons

Immoral Incapable Account Managers Awful Ex Services Team Take 58% of your charge out rate Do not assist in any way DONOT Consider these crooks

Advice to Management

Become Human again and treat your employees with a modicum of respect.

FDM Group2019-09-28
  4. "Rough with the smooth"

Current Employee - Project Manager

I have been working at FDM Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Exposure to some excellent companies Some excellent job opportunities Potential to earn good money

Cons

The atmosphere when on the bench between contracts becomes toxic and then leads to a downwards spiral of negativity Some very poor job opportunities Salary is low with the bonus making up a large percentage of take home Mental health awareness is discussed but rarely put into action

Advice to Management

Open up the client base Run one off training sessions at different times of the week to break up the monotony of "beached" life

FDM Group2019-06-20
  5. "IT Consultant"

I worked at FDM Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Foot in the door to blue chip companies

Cons

Must commit to geographically flexible

FDM Group2019-06-04

"Good way of getting your foot in the door of a good client, but FDM are not an employer who you can work for long term"

Current Employee - Digital Project Manager

I have been working at FDM Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good client base, and some great roles to be placed in to. Lots of scope to gain experience in your field. Pay is okay for a grad scheme, but low compared to market rates in IT once you get towards the end of the 2 year commitment.

Cons

No choice over where you get placed, even what role you do - if you're on the PMO stream and want to be a PM, FDM will place you in the next available business role such as a BA role and even roles that have nothing to do with IT - its bums on seats that counts to them unfortunately and their consultants are livestock to them - £££. That said, if you get lucky and get a client, role and location that suits you then... its great (fortunately I found myself in that position, but others aren't so lucky). There's no interest in retaining staff at all, you're tied in for 2 years with heavy financial penalties if you leave, and that's when FDM makes most of its money. They'll offer a much better rate in the 3rd year, but salaries don't rise, you just get a subtantial bonus increase (Salary is 20k basic rate for all consultants, 3rd year graduate stream would expect a c.15,000 bonus on top). There are next to no fringe benefits at all. Sick pay and pension are both very poor as only based on basic rate rather than full package.

Advice to Management

Value your people more - for such a people-oriented business, the disregard for consultants is shocking - the most common feedback you hear from consultants is that FDM don't care and only get in touch when they want something and are impossible to get hold of when we need something from them. Improve the pay and benefits offering for staff - particularly those who have served beyond 2 years, the current model... doesn't give financial security - e.g. a single day off sick leaves consultants incomes down for the month. Don't forget that today's consultants are tomorrow's clients.

FDM Group2019-04-26
  7. "Good stepping stone into IT industry"

I worked at FDM Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Network, opportunities, training, opening doors to great placements

Cons

Slow to respond to HR issues, lack of onsite support, viewed as a resource and not an employee

FDM Group2018-12-15

"Return to Work Consultant Scheme"

Current Employee - Project Support Manager in Manchester City Centre, England

I have been working at FDM Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Training is thorough, clients that you are placed with are of a high calibre . FDM staff are supportive and knowledgeable. Salaries are fair. Biggest pros are the opportunities available both during the two year placement period and thereafter in terms of clients and job roles.

Cons

7 weeks of training with some expenses paid, relatively reasonable amount but it can be a tight .

FDM Group2018-07-15

"Great people, bad business. All of the people you meet are wonderful, but being successful is a hit or miss."

IT Consultant/Project Manager in New York, NY

I worked at FDM Group for less than a year

Pros

The classroom setting makes an easy transition. If you're coming right out of school to join the workforce, this is a nice way to slowly integrate yourself. You sit in a classroom like setting learning real world material and for some classes, applying these skills to real world problems instead of sandbox, predetermined issues. Interview preps and feedbacks are a goldmine. You can't imagine how many interviews... you will fail in life and wish someone would have just told you why they felt you didn't fit the part. Despite that clients are not obligated to provide feedback and that you are not always guaranteed to get any, when you do, it's some of the most valuable information you could ever receive for life. Certifications are a huge plus. While you're in a specific track, some classes will offer certifications. This is a major advantage for anyone in any industry. Even if you never use it a day in your life, you received a certification for free that you were able to fully dedicate all of your time to and there's nothing more anyone could ask for. If you're not placed with a client after you're finished training, you can still pursue more certifications while you wait ALL FOR FREE.

Cons

No health care until you're assigned a client. This could last until who knows when and if you're a self sufficient individual who doesn't use a parent's or spouse's insurance plan, then this level of uncertainty is definitely not for you. Low pay for an indefinite amount of time. You're made aware of the minimum wage pay from the beginning and that you'll only make about $45K in your 1st gig (if that client... still needs you. Clients have been known to "let go" employees for various reasons then their salaries drop to $30K), but all of this pay talk is contingent on you getting assigned to a client in the first place, so get "comfortable" with a minimum wage lifestyle in the heart of NYC (if you're assigned there). Remember: this contract is for 2 years. Client placement has no real algorithm. Unfortunately upon my arrival, FDM had more inventory than it had clients. My group was the newest to arrive yet one of team members was getting more interviews than those who had already completed or were almost finished their training. The people still lingering in the office waiting for placement were actively asking for jobs and getting interview tips but were being bypassed entirely. Even the levels of education and work experience didn't help. If you had more education and experience than someone else, that actually didn't boost your chances of getting assigned a client or even getting an interview faster than your classmates. Placements are pure luck.

Advice to Management

I know it's more of a selling point to bring people in, but maybe this job shouldn't be pandered to already working individuals or those looking for a career change. This business model is more far more suited for college students and people still at home with little to no responsibilities of their own.

FDM Group2018-07-25

"Back to Business - Glasgow"

Current Employee - IT Consultant/Project Manager in Glasgow, Scotland

I have been working at FDM Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

I'd been looking for a role for 5 years, and not succeeded. FDM recognised my potential and took me through their intensive 7 week "Back to Business" programme in Glasgow, which gave really useful training, confidence building, and repeated interview practice. At the end of the seven weeks I had a successful interview, and two weeks later I'm in a role I enjoy with a great client. I wish I'd found FDM years ago.

Cons

Pay and benefits aren't the best, but I expect I'll probably transition to a permanent role with the client after 2 years, so only a minor issue for me

Advice to Management

None

FDM Group2017-12-08