FM Global Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

3.6
FM Global President & CEO Thomas A. Lawson
Thomas A. Lawson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Excellent work/life balance and great benefits" (in 46 reviews)

• "Great benefits and excellent employee involvement" (in 38 reviews)

Cons
  • "work life balance went to hell the last 2 yrs" (in 12 reviews)

• "little to zero work from home option (I may have experienced this because of the department I worked for or because I was a contractor)" (in 8 reviews)

1. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Manager in Sydney
    Current Employee - Manager in Sydney

I have been working at FM Global full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of generous benefits, provides a lot of training and development opportunities, strong and stable company that really takes care of its people. Plenty of opportunity to try new things, get involved in projects and stretch yourself if you are willing to step outside your comfort zone. Lots of opportunity for travel. People who work here have a strong work ethic and work very hard, which is balanced by the work-life balance offered through benefits and flexibility etc..

Cons

Flatter structure can mean opportunities become available more frequently internationally than domestically.

Advice to Management

Great to see a strong focus on diversity in the last few years. Keep it up!

"Engineering"

Current Employee - Engineering Specialist in Sydney
    Current Employee - Engineering Specialist in Sydney

I have been working at FM Global (More than 10 years)

Pros

Financially stable, safe business model, great engineering supports within the organisation and healthy business development

Cons

Too conservative to business development, less celebration with employees for success in business

"Top class empolyer"

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Melbourne
    Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Melbourne

I have been working at FM Global full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Family feel but global opportunities. Salaries are just above average but the overall package is top class and the defined benefit pension is a massive plus.

Cons

Flat structure means opportunities aren't as frequent as in other companies but if you are capable the company will give you a great career.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work

4. "overall good experience"

I worked at FM Global full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

training & support, good work environment & people, variety of work, opportunity

Cons

mono line specialised company, procedures

"Working in FM Global"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant Engineer in Sydney
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant Engineer in Sydney

I have been working at FM Global full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good training towards new engineers.

Cons

Lack of career progression and the structural can be relatively flat, you may end up doing the same thing for your whole career.

Advice to Management

Need to upgrade management style.

"Overall a really good company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Johnston, RI (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Johnston, RI (US)

I have been working at FM Global full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

-Adequate pay
    -Excellent benefits
    -Focused on work/life balance
    -Long tenured employees
    -Opportunities for advancement

Cons

-Employees are often promoted based on tenure, not skill
    -Male dominated organization
    -Does not offer work from home or telecommuting arrangements
    -Not reactive to bad employee behavior or management skills

Advice to Management

Younger people want companies that are flexible and offer the option to work from home or telecommute. Listen to feedback in employee surveys, especially regarding management and ask employees for direct feedback on their managers.

7. "Never Quite Know What to Make of FM Global"

I have been working at FM Global full-time

Pros

A great company at times that does some really great things in its industry. Generally takes care of its people and good benefits. Good career opportunities if you’re willing to move. Some really great people in the trenches...

Cons

Very “silo” organization. Promotions often go to “club” and second generation family members, married couples, etc. Very difficult to keep motivated in such an environment. Constantly promote college grads to next positions who lack experience and generally don’t value experienced field engineers.

"Employee Development is Core"

Current Employee - Senior Consulting Engineer in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Consulting Engineer in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at FM Global full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Constant training
    Career development plan
    Challenging work in multiple industries
    Opportunity to improve client risk

Cons

Work load
    Advancement depends heavily on tenure

"What has happened to this Company..."

Former Employee - Engineer
    Former Employee - Engineer

I worked at FM Global full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent benefits package
    Yearly merit raise
    Good business model

Cons

I shake my head in disbelief everyday. I don’t understand how a huge corporation has turned into what it has: an absolute disgrace. Either upper management is the same or they are extremely unaware or don’t care or all of the above. But all good things come to an end and there will come a day that FM will either be sued and lose good people and struggle to run their operations with constant turnover with a bad reputation that clients will hear about. Nobody will remain in a toxic environment promoted by the managers except their backstabbing favorites, friends and family who will do the same to them once they feel they are of no use to anymore. There is bullying, favoritism, nepotism, employees that act like animals to other coworkers and the managers laugh and cover it up, no work from home, rumors spread that are slander and defamation of character that managers do nothing about, and this creates a beyond low morale and high stress level. Who would work here?

Nobody wastes their time filing a complaint because HR is all friends with the managers and cover it all up. The managers hate their employees and talk about all of them behind their backs (favorites included)
    There was a time I would highly recommend working here. Now well if you want to work in an insane asylum where the crazies are running it so be it. But my advice is to stay far far away and go to a normal company.

Advice to Management

I would give zero stars if I could. You should be ashamed of what’s transpired with this company. You have nothing to be proud of and it’s getting worse. Wake up or better yet leave.

"Approvals is a Dead End Job"

Current Employee - Approvals Engineer in Boston, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Approvals Engineer in Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at FM Global full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There is never any overtime so you can go home at the end of the day whenever you want.

Interesting business model and company history as well. Benefits are very good and 401k match is 6%.

Cons

There is no room for growth and advancement due to the low turnover. Some people on my team haven’t been promoted for over 10 years. I would advise any young engineer to stay away! There are no meetings, no presentations, basically you sit in your office and worry about your own clients by yourself. That is the culture that has been, and that is the culture that will stay. Management is too far behind the times and conservative to make any changes or approve any changes to culture

As an engineer you will do no engineering at all. It’s all report writing. My manager even told me “it’s not our job to think, we just give them their Approval if they pass the tests stated in the standard”. I repeat, do not come here is you are a young or ambitious engineer. This is a dead end job, you won’t build any skills relevant to engineering here. The skills you will build are relevant to FM global only. Which is part of the reason people stay here so long.

Everyone talks about one another behind everyone's back. Even managers talk about their employees with other employees! Nothing is kept confidential about anyone's performance, goals, or issues they may be having. Terrible environment to work in as we're all worrying what rumors of us are floating around or what our managers are saying about us behind our back.

Advice to Management

You need to get rid of the dinosaurs that are suppressing culture change. Once your legacy employees all start to retire, you will lose a great deal of tribal knowledge and the new workforce coming in isn’t that same generation that stays at a company for 40 years. If you want to win over the millennials and have them stay with FM, you need to take culture into consideration.