Fidelity Investments Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

3.9
Fidelity Investments CEO Abby Johnson
Abby Johnson
2,475 Ratings

"Infrastructure Support Team - Incompetent Manager / Senior Manger"

I worked at Fidelity Investments full-time

Pros

1.Good package. 2.Company policy 3.Plenty of technologies to get hands on

Cons

1. Poor Management 2. Opportunites are given only to people who are very close to management. 3. Night shift for 1 month 4.Manager is not enough skills to handle technical problem / team

Advice to Management

1.Night shift should be avoided 2.Manger should be having infrastructure background skills to understand and provide technical advise.

Fidelity Investments2019-09-16
  2. "Emerging Leader Program"

Current Employee - Associate, Emerging Leader Program in Boston, MA

I have been working at Fidelity Investments full-time for more than a year

Pros

***This review and ratings are oriented towards the Emerging Leader Program, not Fidelity as a firm.*** Meeting Executives: ELP presents several opportunities to meet executives across the firm, and we even have a team Q&A session with the CEO. At the end of the program, we report out a capstone project to all the executives, which is great visibility. Enterprise-Wide View: Since you are rotating in all... different areas of Fidelity, you get a great view of how the firm functions as a whole. With the firm's initiative to work better as a collective unit (as opposed to silos), this is an opportunity that allows you to bring a lot of insights to different groups. Work-life Balance: I have never had an instance where I've had to work more than 40 hours in a week, and management is very flexible if you need to take time off during the day as long as you're getting your work done. Planning vacation is never an issue, management would never say you can't take a vacation or anything like that.

Cons

Compensation: Compensation is extremely low for the caliber of people they expect to hire for ELP. They told us they did 'comp' research and that we're in line with other liberal arts grads in the business sector, but for the amount of knowledge and commitment they are asking (jumping around different BUs and delivering business value straight away, commuting over 110 miles a day some months) we are grossly... underpaid. Several of us have done research and know we can get at least 25% more at any other comparable role. They tell us that our amazing benefits make up for it, but I don't see many of us, right out of college, using home insurance benefits or "College Success Planning." Those of us holding out are hopeful that our final placement salaries will be a significant increase. Management: Management is not as up-to-par as would be expected for a program that recruits from elite liberal arts colleges. One of the managers has an online degree from a for-profit university and it shows- no critical thought, inability to understand and digest feedback without getting defensive, and has worked her way up using relationship skills without actually being qualified for her position in regard to merit. Her manager, an SVP, is too busy with her other initiatives and only seems to present herself at the "fun" opportunities - team-building sessions, orientation, etc. We as a cohort have no insight into what she is doing for the program or if feedback is being relayed up to her at all. Overall, the management team may be well intentioned but lacks clear direction and minimizes transparency in order to hide the fact that they don't really know what they're doing either. Rotations: While ELP may present itself as a cool opportunity to explore different functions, expect to be disappointed when finding out where you got placed. Rotations are based on "business need," meaning that while you may express interest in a particular field, you may end up in a completely different field. Management will try to make it seem okay by pointing out the "positives," but it doesn't address the fact that you may potentially waste four months doing something you have no interest in doing and you could've spent doing something that would actually bring some clarity to your career options. Final Placement: Placement after the program is supposed to be based the rotation that you matched the most with and enjoyed doing. However, some people get rotations that have no intention of hiring someone from ELP, and get stuck with getting placed in one of their rotations they didn't enjoy or have to scramble to network to see if there are any opportunities available outside of their rotations. Once that process is done and you have your options (assuming you have more than one option), you don't even know salary information until AFTER informally accepting the full-time position- we're supposed to not worry about salary and instead choose the placement option that best "aligns" with our career wants. After this informal acceptance, we then get the "official" offer letter and sign that. I've never heard of an instance where you don't know salary information before accepting a role, but like in many other cases where things in the program don't make sense, there is always a "reason" for the way things are. "Trust the Process" : If I had a penny for every time I heard "Trust the Process"...this is the term used by management as a palliative for the program's serious structural issues. Hate the rotation you're in? There's a reason why you got it, you just have to trust the process. Is your rotation not even close to what your career goals are? There's a reason for that, trust the process. If you ever hear this phrase, beware!

Advice to Management

I would say get HR senior management together to restructure the program, but at this point I do not trust them to be able to do it effectively. Hire a consulting firm, or anyone from a non-Fidelity-brainwashed perspective to come in and build it from the bottom up. Or end the program if you're not willing to put in the effort- I think the program has caused more harm than good when taking into account the impact it... has on our long-term career outlook and graduate school opportunities.

Fidelity Investments2019-09-17
  3. "good"

Current Employee - Lead Engineer in Bangalore

I have been working at Fidelity Investments full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

very transparent management, internal jumps are easy.

Cons

Too much of change and no gap between big changes to settle down.

Advice to Management

rewards and recognition has to be focused like any other stability program

Fidelity Investments2019-09-16
  4. "If You Like Call Center Work, Then This Will Be a Good Fit For You"

Former Employee - Customer Relationship Advocate in Westlake, TX

I worked at Fidelity Investments full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Good Benefits - Overtime/Bonus Opportunities - Thorough Training - Beautiful Campus

Cons

- Call Center Environment - Weak Communication Between Different Groups - Lack of Active Management - Dealing with Upset Customers - Difficult to find a role that is not phone-based

5. "Great place to work"

I have been working at Fidelity Investments full-time

Pros

Great environment Great support from senior management Good work life balance

Cons

Overall benefits package is fantastic but base salary is not always competitive

Fidelity Investments2019-08-31

"Top-notch company with stellar benefits"

Former Employee - Instructional Design Consultant in Greenwood Village, CO

I worked at Fidelity Investments full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Fidelity is a privately-held company that offers tremendous opportunity to ambitious and talented people. Salaries seem competitive, culture is exemplary and the benefits are second to none.

Cons

Big corporate culture - but even that is mitigated by strong leadership and culture

Fidelity Investments2019-08-27
  7. "Great"

Former Employee - High Net Worth Financial Representative

I worked at Fidelity Investments full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good people, good environment. Gives you everything you need to succeed

Cons

Pay was hard to live on in my area

Advice to Management

None

Fidelity Investments2019-08-30
  8. "Great Places to work with High ethics"

Current Employee - Senior Lead in Bangalore

I have been working at Fidelity Investments full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great leadership with high ethics and innate values system. Employee friendly. Highly flexible work life balance. Competitive salary if you perform well.

Cons

Need to be careful when hiring leaders from outside organizations.

Advice to Management

Instead of hiring leaders from outside, promote leaders from inside the organization who have Fidelity values incorporated into them to maintain a healthy workplace environment.

Fidelity Investments2019-08-30
  9. "Great company"

Current Employee - Director of Analytics

I have been working at Fidelity Investments full-time

Pros

Everything here is great. I like people , culture, work life balance etc

Cons

Base comp can be little higher for technology roles

Fidelity Investments2019-08-28
  10. "Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Investment Consultant

I have been working at Fidelity Investments full-time

Pros

Amazing retirement benefits. Focus is on client success, not pushing products. A lot of development support.

Cons

Can be difficult to keep up with the large number of clients

Fidelity Investments2019-08-29