Flight Centre Travel Group Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

3.4
Flight Centre Travel Group CEO Graham "Skroo" Turner
Graham "Skroo" Turner

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work hard play hard company ethos" (in 45 reviews)

• "You're rewarded for the work you put in - work hard play hard" (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work life balance can be challenging" (in 111 reviews)

• "Long hours with no overtime paid" (in 126 reviews)

"Amazing career opportunities"

Current Employee - Travel Consultant in Sydney
    Current Employee - Travel Consultant in Sydney

I have been working at Flight Centre Travel Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My days go so fast because I'm always so busy with interesting things. Every customer has a different idea for a holiday or some crazy unique place they'd like to visit.

Management are supportive and constantly offering new training on a monthly basis and loads of 'BOF' opportunities (what the company calls Brightness of Future AKA career progression).

I work at a small community store in inner-west Sydney and my team and customers are awesome.

There are tons of incentives out there including famil trips, agent discounts, ship/plane inspections and product nights (win prizes, learn about travel products/destinations etc.)

Cons

It can take quite a bit of time to build your customer base and skill level. The first year is a challenge and there's just so much information/product/systems to learn, so it can be overwhelming for new staff, but very rewarding.

18 Feb 2019 – Recruitment Coordinator

Thank you for sharing your experience of working for Flight Centre. It's great to hear that you are enjoying your time with us!

2. "Amazing Company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brisbane
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brisbane

I worked at Flight Centre Travel Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Inclusive culture where your input and ideas are encouraged and valued. Know how to celebrate success. Strong company vision and philosophies.

Cons

They have lost a lot of long serving people across the company and this seems to have weakened the depth of the company. Bringing in external people into senior leadership roles who don’t have the same passion or care for the company & they’re making decisions for themselves not the people.

3. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brisbane
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brisbane

I have been working at Flight Centre Travel Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The culture, opportunity for development and the people who make coming to work easier everyday

Cons

Like all workplaces your experience is dependent on whether you get along with your direct managers and co-workers

18 Feb 2019 – Recruitment Coordinator

4. "Great culture, flexibility, development"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Brisbane
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Brisbane

I have been working at Flight Centre Travel Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I currently work in the head office in Brisbane and have seen so many great examples of what a great business this is in the time that I have been here. There are many, many people who have worked here for ten or more years and in that time have been travel consultants and then moved on to other totally different roles like HR, product, marketing etc. It's the kind of business where if you have a career development goal, you can achieve it - they will support you and give you the opportunity to get there.

In my own role in marketing, I have the flexibility to manage my time - I can start at 7am and finish at 4:30 if I want, or 9:30 and finish at 6, for example. Questions aren't asked. The trust is there that I will do the work that I have been hired to do and the accountability rests with me.

The marketing division is made up of many specialist teams, and there is a cohesion and unity here that is really special. We have fun and we do great work at the same time. We know what other departments are doing and we support and celebrate achievements across the business.

The onsite gym is FANTASTIC - better than gyms I have paid for. The South Bank train station is just downstairs. There's a Woolies also downstairs, lots of food options nearby, South Bank Parklands across the road and a rooftop restaurant with really well priced meals and free drinks from 5pm until 7pm on Fridays.

Cons

In this location, the open plan office can be quite distracting and noisy at times - which, if you're someone who needs quiet in order to concentrate then this might be a challenge for you. Most people get around this with some good headphones and music :)

Also about the location, there are 2000 people in this building - which means getting up and down the different floors quickly can be a challenge! The lift system is ultra modern but is terrible at distributing people to one of the six lifts in a fast and efficient manner. As a result, sometimes it's quicker to use the fire escape stairwells to get between floors (easy if you're just going down... and good for your health).

Advice to Management

Get the lifts at your Brisbane HQ re-programmed so that they are faster. Provide private/quiet spaces for people to work.

11 Feb 2019 – Recruitment Coordinator

Thank you for sharing your experience of working for Flight Centre. It's great to hear that you are enjoying your time with us. As with all current employee reviews, we will take on board your... More

"Good Memories"

Former Employee - Travel Consultant in Perth, Western Australia
    Former Employee - Travel Consultant in Perth, Western Australia

I worked at Flight Centre Travel Group (More than a year)

Pros

My first store had a nasty manager who always lashed out and was jealous of others in her store, however my second store was amazing. The best vibe, snacks on a Friday or end of month, out of work gatherings, the Buzz nights and Christmas parties and balls were great to catch up with other stores and have a fun time. Some rewarding bookings and great compliments from customers!

Cons

Customers have full reign, they dont look into complaints, i had heard some ridiculous complaints to head office and the customer gets what they want without support to the staff from HO. The commission and not meeting targets can get you really stressed out and abuse from customers not trusting travel agents.

Advice to Management

Base the role more on customer service not KPI's and targets. The ABC article should have been taken into account, not spoken over as if it was all lies..... the commission and pressure on staff is exactly why people dont trust travel agents, Skroo needs to be in touch with the staff - who struggle to make ends meet on the retainer. commission should at least be a bonus, not a way to bump the retainer up to minimum wage.

6 Feb 2019 – Recruitment Coordinator

Thank you for taking the time to let us know of your experience working with us. It's true that the role as a travel consultant with Flight Centre is a sales and target driven role with performance... More

6. "Admin"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney

I have been working at Flight Centre Travel Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Progressive Culture, room for progression,

Cons

Highe pressure, salary is lower than average

21 Jan 2019 – Recruitment Coordinator

"Travel Consultant"

Former Employee - Travel Consultant in Brisbane
    Former Employee - Travel Consultant in Brisbane

I worked at Flight Centre Travel Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A foot in the door to put on your resume, to get out and work for another company in the travel industry.

Cons

Terrible wage, riddled with workplace bullies who lash out due to work load and pay pressures, smoke screen of perks and promises (alcohol!) hiding the actual fact that you are expected to work very hard for little to no reward.

It is also interesting to see that all of a sudden (since September 2018) there have been a number of positive reviews to bury the multiple negative reviews previously posted and poor publicity received last year for their atrocious treatment of staff. It would not surprise me that an 'incentive' has been offered to employees to put up positive posts (in a very typical Flight Centre fashion.) I encourage readers to go back a few pages for a more honest indication of what it is like being 'slave' to this company.

21 Jan 2019 – Recruitment Coordinator

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience of working with us. Your observation of increased activity on this review site is correct, but it is not because our people are incentivised to... More

8. "Training & Development"

Current Employee - Training & Development in Brisbane
    Current Employee - Training & Development in Brisbane

I have been working at Flight Centre Travel Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Unbelievable team. Varied & rewarding work. Personal growth & development. Inspirational leaders.

Cons

I honestly can't think of any cons in my current role. I can't imagine working for any other company

Advice to Management

I love the unique culture of our business, but also the work that we do with charities and personal interest groups. Keep up the great work

19 Nov 2018 – Recruitment Coordinator

9. "Amazing company with lots of opportunity to grow!"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Brisbane
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Brisbane

I have been working at Flight Centre Travel Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working environment, development, multiple career paths, knowledge, fun

Cons

can sometimes be a little slower at the start commission wise, but it does come with time.

19 Nov 2018 – Recruitment Coordinator

10. "One of the most employee focused company I know"

Current Employee - Groups Travel Consultant in Sydney
    Current Employee - Groups Travel Consultant in Sydney

I have been working at Flight Centre Travel Group part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexibility
    Rewards and recognition
    No two days are the same

Cons

Steep learning curve
    Not as easy as it looks