Flight Centre Travel Group Employee Reviews about "work hard play"

Updated 18 Nov 2019

3.6
Flight Centre Travel Group CEO Graham "Skroo" Turner
Graham "Skroo" Turner
Pros
  • "Unlimited annual leave, lots of travel, work hard play hard(in 60 reviews)

• "Awesome travel perks, great work/life balance(in 56 reviews)

Cons
  • "Tough sales targets which can sometimes encourage long hours(in 164 reviews)

• "Work life/balance can be difficult to manage(in 133 reviews)

Reviews about "work hard play"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "A Company that gives you great learning Autonomy & Expierinces"

Current Employee - Team Leader in Sydney

I have been working at Flight Centre Travel Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Constant Recognition, Great Pay Rewarding Most Hard Work, Amazing Trips, Great Party's and of course the yearly Global for Top Achievers

Cons

Need to be flexible with working hours

August 26, 2019

Thank you for taking the time to let us know of your experience working with us.

2. "KEEP AN EYE ON MANAGEMENT"

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Brisbane
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Flight Centre Travel Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great Work Hard Play Hard atmosphere if your young (or young at heart)! Only worth it if you’ve already got sales experience & know how to do it already as there isn’t much sales skill training.

Cons

Management. The only thing I could fault. I made a number of complaints, concerns about things happening to me in that office and all went ignored.

3. "Consultant"

1.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brisbane
    No Opinion of CEO

Pros

Potential to earn a lot however would require a lot of hard work and overtime.

Cons

Treated like your own business so you never really get a 'day off' to switch off. Base pay is too low and commission structure is confusing.

November 17, 2019

Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. The Travel Consultant role at Flight Centre is indeed a sales and target driven position with performance-based pay. There is no requirement for our staff to work anything more than reasonable additional time, however, because earning potential is uncapped, many choose to work a bit longer to finalise more business, earn more commission and be even more successful. Have a chat with your team leader! The ongoing coaching and support we offer to our staff can help you create a better working experience.

4. "Work Hard, Play Harder"

4.0
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Rockingham

I worked at Flight Centre Travel Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

If your a natural sales person who enjoys fast paced and competitive workplaces then this is your perfect job. Its hard work and at times extremely long hours but if you put in the effort the incentives are incredible. Weekly in store drinks, monthly awards nights with meals and drinks, annual balls and global awards..... and the opportunity to travel the world!

Cons

Base Salary is minimal. Commission structure is harsh so a slow month you wouldn't make enough to pay the mortgage but a great month can bring home 10k easy

September 30, 2019

Thank you for taking the time to give a balanced review of your experience working at Flight Centre. We wish you the best with your future and hope that our paths may cross again some time.

5. "Flexible Committed Company"

Current Employee - Senior Travel Consultant in Cardiff

I have been working at Flight Centre Travel Group part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Flexible hours Work Hard Play Hard Strong work ethic Social company Lifelong friendships Travel opportunities

Cons

Average pay when you’re first starting out. Challenges of work life balance and can be stressful at times

August 26, 2019

6. "A Great Place to Be"

Current Employee - Travel Manager in North Sydney

I have been working at Flight Centre Travel Group full-time

Pros

Opportunities for change and advancement, a strong focus on personal responsibility and accountability, and "work hard, play hard" mentality.

Cons

Information is freely available but often has to be sought.

July 8, 2019Marketing Manager - People & Culture

"Definitely NOT for everyone"

2.0
    Former Employee - Travel Consultant in Melbourne

I worked at Flight Centre Travel Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

You can meet some really cool people. I am still in contact with a few people I met from my training group and one of the store I worked at. If you are into partying... HUGE party/drinking culture. We had "buzz nights" every month (reward nights) with free booze on tap. I also remember of a few parties that got VERY messy with someone peeing in a bus and people having sex on a dance floor. The job is so stressful that you do get really dependant on alcohol. Work hard, play hard type of mentality. - The job can be rewarding - Free/cheap travel opportunities. - Training was pretty decent.

Cons

- Job very stressful. I used to sometimes wakeup at night having what we call "flightmares", basically dreaming that I did not ticket a flight in time. It was way too stressful for me. - Lot's of pressure and sometimes irrealistic expectations - Pyramid scheme like structure - very low pay for the ridiculous amount of work. - They often give managerial positions to people who should not be in managerial positions. My assistant team leader was an absolute bully and made me cry a lot. She wasnt a bad person, but a position of leadership was not for her. It happened in a lot of other stores. A lot of them won't step up when they need too, AKA take care of a problem client. - The company rarely takes the side of the worker when conflict against an unreasonable client.

"Give everything"

2.0
    Former Employee - Travel Consultant in Perth, Western Australia

I worked at Flight Centre Travel Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

IF you work in a good area (!!!), you can make lots of $$$...the hard work pays off! Great!! Plus..IF you work in a good team, with lots of knowledge and support.. this can be a dream job (lots of IF's here..)

Cons

..most of the time agents do not make (have NO chance) to make any money, ALOT OF TURNOVER and the next agent has to take over upset clients.. Company does not really look after employees, or so to say.. creates these "never coming true" dreams, what one can achieve... a lot of internal 'rules' to get money out of their own employees..

July 8, 2019Marketing Manager - People & Culture

Thank you for taking the time to give a balanced review of your experience working at Flight Centre. We wish you the best with your future.

"is what you make of it"

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Perth, Western Australia

Pros

Work hard, play hard Plenty of opportunity to work towards holiday incentives, bounties and party lifestyle of after work events Lots of great people and learn a lot about many interesting places and suppliers

Cons

You don't get paid enough for the amount and level of work you do, paid on a "sales" role but it is so much more than just sales and way more complicated than just a commission. Reward the high rollers whilst they push out the low performers so many consultants feel the pressure to mark up prices and charge extra hundreds of dollars as "service fee" even though only 10% of the service fee actually goes to the consultant Lots of negative and toxic attitudes drip fed from the top and if you're placed in the wrong store with negative employees, it's hard to tune out to the negativity and resentment

June 13, 2019

Thank you for sharing your experience of working for Flight Centre. As with all current employee reviews, we will take on board your constructive feedback.

"2 years at FCTG's head office and experience across 2 brands"

Current Employee - Marketing/Communications Professional in Brisbane

Pros

I like coming to work each day and personally feel supported by my team. I love FCTG's culture and ways of rewarding us and recognising hard work. I am excited by the career opportunities in this global company and have already have had the experience to work across two of FCTG's brands so far, experiencing both the corporate and leisure sides of our company. I've had numerous opportunities to travel for my work - nationally and internationally. Our head office at South Brisbane is fantastic - it's in close proximity to all modes of public transport, has a free onsite gym with additional physio and massage facilities and a restaurant with affordable and healthy options.

Cons

Remuneration for roles I have applied for have been below industry standard but benefits can make up for this. HR / hiring managers have also been willing to negotiate based on skills, in my personal experience.

November 19, 2018Recruitment Coordinator

Thank you for sharing your experience of working for Flight Centre. It's great to hear that you are enjoying your time with us. As with all current employee reviews, we will take on board your constructive feedback.

Found 39 reviews