Forrester Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

4.3
Forrester Chairman, President, and CEO George F. Colony
George F. Colony

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work life balance is exceptional (in 88 reviews)

• Work with smart people who enjoy being here; people who care about doing great work (in 86 reviews)

Cons
  • The work can get consuming -- it's important to actively manage your work-life balance (in 27 reviews)

• Not enough support from senior management (in 23 reviews)

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney

Pros

- Many intelligent people in this organisation and you can learn a lot from them
    - Always surrounded by new ideas & trends, never get bored
    - Great culture, great team
    - Opportunity for growth
    - Great reward for hard work

Cons

- A lot to learn
    - If you do not like reading, learning and take in new ideas Forrester is not the place for you to work

"Like working in a College campus"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Sydney
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Sydney

I worked at Forrester full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good product
    Smart people
    Good networking
    C-Level exposure

Cons

The office is full of in experienced people and leaders
    Everything is metrics. No art in sales - Mud at a wall strategy a low close rates
    Territory dependent
    Service delivery is terrible

Advice to Management

Geta new CEO
    Hire some real leaders with industry experience

"Fantastic Place to Work"

Current Employee - Account Development Manager in Sydney
    Current Employee - Account Development Manager in Sydney

I have been working at Forrester full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people are fantastic and always willing to help.
    Plenty of room for job progression and movement between offices
    Great company culture
    The research is really insightful and sought after

Cons

Lots to learn, so you better be curious!

"A truly unique company"

Current Employee - Vice President in Cambridge, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Vice President in Cambridge, MA (US)

I have been working at Forrester full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I've worked for several companies throughout my career., but none quite like Forrester. It's truly a unique and fulfilling place to work if you enjoy a fast-paced, high-performance environment where you get to work with super-intelligent people from all over the globe. Open-mindedness, intellectual curiosity, and adaptability are must-haves for success here. Any professional who possesses those traits will have every opportunity to thrive here.

Cons

Can at times become a bit of an echo chamber. We're losing some of the edge that has been so ingrained in years past, where challenging one's ideas was welcome and expected. Don't lose sight of that. It's part of what gives Forrester its character.

Advice to Management

Take calculated risks - acquire someone, bring net new products and services to market, target new audiences, and accelerate the innovation efforts. There's no shortage of ideas, we just need to act on them. Our future growth depends on it.

6. "Fantastic company culture and a premier brand"

Current Employee - Consulting in Cambridge, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Consulting in Cambridge, MA (US)

I have been working at Forrester full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work alongside super-smart, intellectually curious, collaborative, dedicated, interesting colleagues and make an impact on clients' real-world business and technology challenges and strategies.

Huge opportunity for learning and growth (personal and professional) no matter where you are in your career. Lots of opportunity to move to different roles internally and build new skills.

There is such a rich treasure trove of research, experience and insight -- and colleagues eager to explain what it means and why it matters. It's impossible to get bored here.

Relationships are valued here, but it's not political. Trust, respect and constructive debate are all important tenets of the amazing and deliberately cultivated company culture.

Bottom line: This is the best company I have worked for in my career.

Cons

The work can get consuming -- it's important to actively manage your work-life balance.

Many of the tools we use or need to do the work (project management, practice management, time tracking, expense reporting, video conferencing,..) are clunky, incompatible, outdated or non-existent.

The Research and Sales teams get top billing, and the Cambridge (MA) HQ is the center of the Forrester universe. If you work on other teams or in other offices, you may feel outside of the spotlight.

Advice to Management

Continue to work to break down silos between teams and offices to make One Forrester a reality.

Integrate strategy consulting into the business and marketing message more holistically. It's the glue that can strengthen and expand our client relationships.

Work to increase cultural diversity.

7. "Great profesionnal and personal experience"

Current Employee - Sales in Levallois-Perret (France)
    Current Employee - Sales in Levallois-Perret (France)

I have been working at Forrester full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Opportunity to engage with top C Level executives in Marketing & Tech in large companies. Great learning opportunity, you're in constant touch with superb research, rich methodologies, good training and very diverse client challenges.

Cons

Even though they are necessary, top down global processes don't always allow to maximize the opportunity in local markets.

Advice to Management

Being a research firm, sometimes too risk averse and analytical when it comes to investment. A lot of "chicken and egg" discussions when sometimes you need to "sow the seeds" to grow - especially in international markets.

"Great Company with Great People!"

I have been working at Forrester full-time

Pros

Working at Forrester has helped me grow immensely. I'm surrounded by smart and collaborative individuals who push me to reach my full potential. The opportunities are endless, and you are encouraged to move throughout the company to find your passion.

Cons

There aren't many that I have come across... the only thing we should look at doing to attract new talent is to review employee "perks". Many companies are now implementing more work from home opportunities and in office "extras". This isn't something that is necessarily important to me- but is to new generations.

Advice to Management

Continue to be open to change, and innovation. Thanks for all you do!

9. "Great company, slow ramp up"

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at Forrester full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

International colleagues
    Travel opportunities
    Surrounded by committed professionals eager to help you out

Cons

A lot of information that you need to process, and that gets dated fast
    Unrealistic figures for certain regions
    Too many changes that get announced and then not followed through
    Imbalanced revenue stream from types of customers

Advice to Management

Consider expansion to increase revenue, because the way it's going now, it's not great

"Sales Development Specialist"

Current Employee - Sales Development Specialist in Nashville, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Development Specialist in Nashville, TN (US)

I have been working at Forrester full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Forrester is the best company I have ever worked for. The company is very established and takes the time to leverage their annual budgets to make sure every employee is well-trained and happy

- reasonable salary
    - ability to grow your career within the company
    - amazing colleagues and collaborative community
    - Ability to own your role and learn the Forrester services

Cons

- There really isn’t anything, other than the PTO, while generous, is a little archaic

- The communication between offices could be a bit stronger, though they do a great job with keeping us in the loop on big mentions/announcements.

Advice to Management

- Keep up the great work!

"A great place to work with two major flaws but lots to love, too"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA (US)

I have been working at Forrester full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I work in research at Forrester. What I enjoy most about it is the intellectual stimulation, intensity, creativity, continual learning, and the fact that we focus on not just reflecting on ideas and new data but on applying our thinking and advising clients on how to do that. The result: growth for our clients and growth for Forrester. Like any company, Forrester's got problems it needs to fix but, for me, the good outweighs the bad, with many really hard-to-find strengths, and I believe Forrester will continue learning and improve the things I call out in the "Cons" section below.

Cons

1. Forrester recognized, a few years ago, that we need a product management team, and formed one from scratch. That was good. But unfortunately, our C-level executives keep staffing that team (from its SVP on down) with people whose product management experience is either non-existent or negligible. Forrester could be growing much faster if that team were led and staffed by people with a more contemporary and sophisticated understanding of what product management means and requires. But the C-suite does not seem to realize there's any problem, or the growth potential we're missing out on as a result of the team's immaturity and lack of expertise.

2. Forrester is very tight-fisted about providing employees with the tools we need to do our jobs. When we visit our clients' offices, we can't help noticing that they commonly have fast, reliable laptops with one or two large displays, for example. But Forrester skimps on those things. As a result, many employees end up spending their own money to buy a faster laptop and a large display if they can afford it, to stay productive. Those who can't afford it muddle through but it noticeably hurts their productivity and morale.

Advice to Management

1. Keep up the focus on ideas and what they mean for clients.
    2. Dissolve the current product management team and put its SVP and members back into the jobs they came from where they were doing just fine. Then reboot the team by hiring a new SVP who has real experience at contemporary and sophisticated product management and will know how to form a team with the right skills, to accelerate Forrester's growth.
    3. Recognize that skimping on employee technology hurts productivity, morale, and therefore profits, and invest in it, to start reaping the rewards that other companies do when they invest in these tools for their employees.