GQR Global Markets Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

Updated 17 February 2019

3.6
Steven Talbot

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Everyone is very self-motivated and hard-working, but also exceptionally friendly and supportive" (in 14 reviews)

• "Earning potential unlike many other entry level roles / careers" (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • "Long hours (across the board in recruitment) - not a 9 - 5 job" (in 31 reviews)

• "Work Life Balance is hindered, this job does require long hours and wouldn't recommend if this is not something you're comfortable with" (in 10 reviews)

1. "Excellent culture, compensation and leadership"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Sydney
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Sydney

I have been working at GQR Global Markets full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- unfettered access to entire global leadership team
    - unlimited earning potential
    - excellent culture and great people (globally)
    - international work and reward opportunities
    - clear and meritocratic promotion path
    - company performance and short/long term plan shared with employees
    - good soft benefits (weekly incentives, office food, office break area with ping pong, xbox etc.)

Cons

- sometimes long hours (whilst not on target)

Advice to Management

n/a

24 Jan 2019 – Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback! We appreciate
    your input and are happy to hear you’re enjoying your experience
    here and our benefits package.

"False Hope"

Former Employee - Consultant in Sydney
    Former Employee - Consultant in Sydney

I worked at GQR Global Markets full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The boss would sometimes shout drinks on a Friday
    The Sydney office boss is a really great guy

Cons

- Horrible culture
    - Interview process is made out to make the job 'elite' when really they offer a position to anyone that interviews
    - Huge staff turnover as they just don't know what type of people they should be hiring
    - Working hours are insane for the amount of mundane work you do
    - I developed migraines from staring at a computer for 14 hours a day
    - Frowned upon to take your lunch break
    - No staff benefits except if you work yourself to the bone for 8+ months and hopefully get commission
    - Commission is impossible to reach. The success stories they tell you in the interview are all after 3 years of employment
    - They hire people that do not get along
    - The Learning and Development executives are clueless and make it out like you are changing the world one CV at a time
    - Targets-based to an extreme degree
    - Pay is monthly
    - Pay is incredibly low
    - NO work/life balance

Advice to Management

Please stop filling your employees with hope when you know how unachievable the job is.

19 Nov 2018 – Talent Acquisition

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your honest review. We’re very pleased to hear that you had a positive experience working with EVP, Robert Hosken.

We value and consider all feedback and will... More

3. "Associate Consultant"

I worked at GQR Global Markets full-time

Pros

Great commission structure and learning curve for new starters

Cons

It is a very autonomous environment so less work-life balance

4. "A great place to work"

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Sydney

I worked at GQR Global Markets full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I was only at GQR for a short time and left for my own reasons. I can't speak for all the offices but my experience in Sydney was nothing but positive. The pros of working at GQR include:
    - Great people
    - Casual office environment
    - Responsibility and autonomy
    - Excellent initial training as well as continuous training
    - All the tools you could need to be an effective recruiter
    - Great earning potential
    - Potential for rapid career advancement
    - Other small incentives

Cons

- Work hours can be long but you get out what you put in
    - There is a threshold to meet before you start earning good commission
    - Can be a real tough grind at the start

Advice to Management

In terms of the office in Sydney, I think it is run really well and they don't need to change anything

"GQR Insight"

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Sydney
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Sydney

I have been working at GQR Global Markets full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

* There is NO glass ceiling, this is a career opportunity NOT just a job! GQR will not stunt your growth, in fact they will enable and encourage to be the best with opportunities for global relocation, build out new offices, lead a team. Everything is based on both attitude and performance.
    * Unlike most recruitment companies that throw you solely in the deep end, GQR is succinct with its learning & development program. They don't forget about you and continue to facilitate this investment in your growth through discussion based learning, masterclasses, one-on-one, strategic advisory sessions, knowledge hour (time in office hours to study your market)
    * It is a result-driven environment - if you work hard / smart and deliver, you will be recognized and rewarded - Jetsetters, Quarterly holidays, $$$, promotions.
    * All of management is approachable, inclusive of directors who are always willing to help and answer questions.
    * You can make a lot of money 30-50% TCR
    * Emphasis on wellbeing - weekly yoga classes, communal island bench for shared lunches, stocked fridge, targeted finish a 2pm on Fridays with drinks and extended lunches to go to the gym.

Cons

* Not a place for mediocrity, no tolerance for laziness.
    * There are high expectations, if you are not ambitious or willing to back your productivity/results with the work, probably not for you.
    * Long hours (across the board in recruitment) - not a 9 - 5 job
    * A lot of time sitting at a computer.
    * You have to be efficient to be successful, time management and organisation is crucial.
    * Its hard work, recruitment is not for everyone there are a lot of up's and down's in a sales-driven environment.

Advice to Management

Keep up the masterclasses, engagement and emphasis on well-being

"What it's like to work as a Graduate Recruitment Consultant"

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Sydney

I worked at GQR Global Markets full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

# People are really friendly

# No office attire required you can literally come in with shorts and thongs

# You MAY make a lot of money if you're a shark and in your 2nd year you have no commission cap. Additionally with repeat business the job may actually become easier because you have so many jobs and clients may contact you for repeat business.

#Cool monthly, quarterly half yearly and yearly incentives if you hit targets and you even get to work in another office for a week and they subsidize some of the cost.

#Friday's are good you can leave at 4 and they usually have a couple of beers in the office or they go to a bar it was fun.

Cons

#KPI'S after the 6 week training period which was already kind of difficult get a lot harder and if you fail to hit your targets consistently they will get rid of you after a few months.

#The sectors to work in include (Acccounting, Law, M&A, Tech, QTD) ect. The KPI'S are the same across every sector... But there aren't as many companies in the QTD space for example which is basically tech guys but for specifically banks, asset management firms ect) which makes it hard to be the same when you're competing against other sectors and failure will not be an excuse.

*Hours are long 8-6 MINIMUM and it's pretty difficult to get everything done on a consistent basis you will be staying back a lot until to 7 or 8 sometimes.

*Pay is dead average at first and it's actually worse for the extra 2 hours per day. If you're really good maybe in you're 2nd year you will be earning a lot more but it's going to be only for the best and every month you don't hit target that deficit will roll over to the next month forcing delay to commission when you do make bank.

Advice to Management

The KPI's should not be the same for every industry and there should be some changes to the training after 6 weeks.

28 Feb 2018 – Talent Acquisition

First and foremost, thank you for your candid review. Your feedback serves as a reminder that not all career paths at GQR are for everyone. With our core values in mind – ambition, adventure and... More

"Review of Time At GQR To Date (Sydney)"

Current Employee - Associate/Entry Level in Sydney
    Current Employee - Associate/Entry Level in Sydney

I have been working at GQR Global Markets full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Summary: Ambitious company with a demanding work environment. Set very high expectations and targets but do this to aim to maximise your potential. If you are very intelligent and want to completely commit to being successful in recruitment then this is a good environment for you to develop and succeed. If you are not as driven or ambitious and not comfortable being pushed / stretched then this is not the right place for you.

Pros:

- Earning potential unlike many other entry level roles / careers
    - Complete autonomy on how you manage your own desk / career
    - Senior management always available to provide guidance / ask questions to

Cons

- Long hours

(This is more a reflection of the recruitment industry in general and what is required to be successful, especially when you are new to the industry).

Advice to Management

- Keep up initiatives to promote work-life balance (eg. incentives, longer lunch, fitness bootcamps, breakout area, etc)
    - Keep consulting with employees to make sure targets are specific to each individual and ensure each individual buys in to their own targets

16 Oct 2017 – GQR

We really appreciate you taking the time to submit this thorough feedback. Thank you so much for taking the time!

All of the feedback you have provided is a great representation of our company... More

"Great Earning Potential"

Pros

Unlimited access to Senior Managers, Great resources, In-depth intense training, great commission structure

Cons

long working hours . .

16 Oct 2017 – GQR

Thank you very much for submitting your feedback for us and others!

It is so great to hear you had a good training experience and are cultivating productive relationships with your colleagues. The... More

9. "Great opportunity to gain valuable experience"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney

I have been working at GQR Global Markets full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people
    Opportunity for career progression
    Competitive, ambitious atmosphere
    Incentives
    Entrepreneurial environment

Cons

Highly pressured environment - but if you ask for help they will definitely give it to you.
    Constantly being pushed, which is good but can be very hard day to day
    Being fairly new to the market in Sydney need to be prepared to not make money in the first 6-12 months

Advice to Management

n/a

16 Oct 2017 – GQR

Thanks so much for sharing this insight for everyone!

It is great to see you enjoy your colleagues and the GQR culture - we know these facets are crucial to a productive work environment.

The... More

"Whatever you do - make sure you're prepared for this......"

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant

Pros

- Awesome Earning Potential - People around you making $200k+ at 23 years old - Ridiculous!
    - Jet Set Club is amazing, got the chance to go to LA and New York with the company fully paid.
    - Really fun people to work with - switched on, hard working but don't take themselves too seriously.
    - Never been so pushed in my life (also see con). Done 10+ jobs in my life and never have I learned so much or worked so hard in my life!
    - I've never watched the clock again.... I run out of time during the day, not wish for time to speed up. This doesn't sound like much but if you've ever worked in a call center or professional services, you may well know what i mean!

Cons

- Brutal Expectations - Very high expectations from day two. Targets, Updates & Phone Calls - masses of them! Slacking is immediately expunged, when we are at work.... We are working!
    - Thick Skin - You have expectations and when you don't meet them, management are not shy in sharing them, you have to listen carefully, learn fast & work hard to be successful here.

Advice to Management

- Make sure I see the full picture earlier on. I'm so focused on what i'm doing day to day which means I forget 'where i'm going'....