GQR Global Markets Reviews

Updated 8 Sep 2020

3.7
GQR Global Markets CEO & Managing Director Steven Talbot (no image)
Steven Talbot
Pros
  • "I genuinely enjoy being part of the GQR family and going to work every day(in 40 reviews)

• "High earning potential fresh out of college(in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • "Long hours but it takes what it takes to build your business(in 41 reviews)

• "zero work life balance: hours are 8-7 but really, if you leave at 7, you're going to have a problem(in 12 reviews)

"A great career path"

Current Employee - Assistant Vice President in Sydney

I have been working at GQR Global Markets full-time for more than a year

Pros

- In depth training program with advanced training as you progress through your career - Impressive commission structure with high earning potential - Clear promotion pathway - Very transparent work environment - A lot of career growth potential

Cons

- Long hours when you begin, especially if you get to build a market from scratch

Talent Acquisition

Thank you so much for your review! We truly appreciate your honesty and the time it took to share your authentic experience. We wish you continued success at GQR!

2. "Great Culture"

Former Employee - Senior Associate in Sydney

I worked at GQR Global Markets full-time

Pros

Very collaborative company and the Sydney office culture is 2nd to none

Cons

Threshold system is difficult to get out of

Talent Acquisition

Dear Reviewer, Thank you for your honest review. We’re pleased to hear the Sydney office culture is a great fit for you. Wishing you continued success at GQR!

"manipulating"

1.0
    Former Employee - Associate in Sydney

I worked at GQR Global Markets full-time for more than a year

Pros

great comm share structure

Cons

comm structure good for high quantity jobs, not slow and jobs markets where placements are low

Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your candid review. Your feedback serves as a reminder that not all career paths at GQR are for everyone. With our core values in mind – ambition, adventure and accountability – it is our philosophy that exceptional outcomes often require excellent investment. With this in mind, we would like to address some of your comments directly to provide clarification on some of our processes and methodologies. Turnover: We agree that turnover rates may seem higher than other industries. However, our rates are in alignment with other sales-based organizations. We hold bi-annual, voluntary committees to better understand the concerns and needs of our people to ensure that, moving forward, we are able to better retain our talent. Outside of these committees, we offer several communication channels – anonymous and open – that we regularly encourage our people to use to solidify our commitment to transparency in the workplace. We do, escalate issues from our feedback channel directly to leadership. Again, we thank you for your feedback and hope that we have provided some clarity on our culture and methodologies. If you are reading this review and feel you have further questions, we encourage you to please contact one of our talent acquisition specialists. https://www.gqrgm.com/people?specialism=Talent%20Acquisition

"Excellent culture, compensation and leadership"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Sydney

I have been working at GQR Global Markets full-time for more than a year

Pros

- unfettered access to entire global leadership team - unlimited earning potential - excellent culture and great people (globally) - international work and reward opportunities - clear and meritocratic promotion path - company performance and short/long term plan shared with employees - good soft benefits (weekly incentives, office food, office break area with ping pong, xbox etc.)

Cons

- sometimes long hours (whilst not on target)

Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback! We appreciate your input and are happy to hear you’re enjoying your experience here and our benefits package.

"False Hope"

1.0
    Former Employee - Consultant in Sydney

I worked at GQR Global Markets full-time for more than a year

Pros

The boss would sometimes shout drinks on a Friday The Sydney office boss is a really great guy

Cons

- Horrible culture - Interview process is made out to make the job 'elite' when really they offer a position to anyone that interviews - Huge staff turnover as they just don't know what type of people they should be hiring - Working hours are insane for the amount of mundane work you do - I developed migraines from staring at a computer for 14 hours a day - Frowned upon to take your lunch break - No staff benefits except if you work yourself to the bone for 8+ months and hopefully get commission - Commission is impossible to reach. The success stories they tell you in the interview are all after 3 years of employment - They hire people that do not get along - The Learning and Development executives are clueless and make it out like you are changing the world one CV at a time - Targets-based to an extreme degree - Pay is monthly - Pay is incredibly low - NO work/life balance

Talent Acquisition

Dear Reviewer, Thank you for your honest review. We’re very pleased to hear that you had a positive experience working with EVP, Robert Hosken. We value and consider all feedback and will continue to find ways to improve. Regarding your constructive feedback, we felt it necessary to address your concerns below. Culture: At GQR we are devoted to creating a positive and transparent workplace. And, we are proud of the culture we have built as well as our commitment to further invest in our people, platform and processes to promote collaboration, specialisation and globalisation. We provide the opportunity for numerous company trips throughout the year as well as individual jet sets. We also appreciate the impact organised socials have on employee engagement and morale and actively encourage all our Office Heads to drive these activities locally. Hours & Lunch Break: For the Sydney office, our hours are in fact 8 AM to 6 PM Monday to Thursday, and 8 AM to 2/3 PM Fridays. We strive to foster an environment that is diverse and inclusive of the needs of our people while also considering the markets and organisations we support. To achieve this, we maintain office hours unique to each of our global offices. However, we strongly champion the idea of working smarter, not harder – so hours may vary from person to person based on their ability to meet or exceed their targets. Our Sydney employees are encouraged to take 1.5-hour lunchbreaks three days a week and 1-hour lunchbreaks the other two days of the week. Compensation & Commission: While the first year with GQR can be challenging for some, there are many individuals who have found success with the company in their first eight months. We feel it’s important to stress that you are embarking on a career path when you join our team. We offer exceptional exposure, long-term development and the opportunity for high earnings to those who approach the role with an entrepreneurial drive. If you are looking for a comfortable base, we agree that GQR might not be the best fit for you. If you are looking for the chance to operate autonomously with an uncapped commission structure, GQR most definitely is the place for you. Turnover & Transparency: While we disagree on your point about not knowing which people to bring on to the team, we agree that turnover rates may seem high compared with other industries. However, our rates are very much in alignment with sales-based organisations. Further, we have not had any employees outside of probation leave in over six months. We hold bi-annual, voluntary committees to better understand the concerns and needs of our people to ensure that, moving forward, we are able to better retain our talent. Outside of these committees, we offer several communication channels – anonymous and open – that we regularly encourage our people to use to solidify our commitment to transparency in the workplace. We do escalate issues from our feedback channel directly to leadership. Training Program: Our L&D Foundation Program is designed to set every employee up for success regardless of experience or prior knowledge of staffing and recruiting businesses and processes. And, our training staff are passionate about the work they do and the impact they can achieve internally and externally. We are proud to announce that we’ve recently hired a Head of Learning & Development with 12 years of experience to help expand and develop our L&D program. Again, we thank you for your feedback and hope that we have provided some clarity on our culture and methodologies. If you are reading this review and feel you have further questions or are interested in an opportunity, we encourage you to please contact one of our talent acquisition specialists. https://www.gqrgm.com/people?specialism=Talent%20Acquisition

6. "Associate Consultant"

I worked at GQR Global Markets full-time

Pros

Great commission structure and learning curve for new starters

Cons

It is a very autonomous environment so less work-life balance

"A great place to work"

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Sydney

I worked at GQR Global Markets full-time for less than a year

Pros

I was only at GQR for a short time and left for my own reasons. I can't speak for all the offices but my experience in Sydney was nothing but positive. The pros of working at GQR include: - Great people - Casual office environment - Responsibility and autonomy - Excellent initial training as well as continuous training - All the tools you could need to be an effective recruiter - Great earning potential - Potential for rapid career advancement - Other small incentives

Cons

- Work hours can be long but you get out what you put in - There is a threshold to meet before you start earning good commission - Can be a real tough grind at the start

"GQR Insight"

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Sydney

I have been working at GQR Global Markets full-time for less than a year

Pros

* There is NO glass ceiling, this is a career opportunity NOT just a job! GQR will not stunt your growth, in fact they will enable and encourage to be the best with opportunities for global relocation, build out new offices, lead a team. Everything is based on both attitude and performance. * Unlike most recruitment companies that throw you solely in the deep end, GQR is succinct with its learning & development program. They don't forget about you and continue to facilitate this investment in your growth through discussion based learning, masterclasses, one-on-one, strategic advisory sessions, knowledge hour (time in office hours to study your market) * It is a result-driven environment - if you work hard / smart and deliver, you will be recognized and rewarded - Jetsetters, Quarterly holidays, $$$, promotions. * All of management is approachable, inclusive of directors who are always willing to help and answer questions. * You can make a lot of money 30-50% TCR * Emphasis on wellbeing - weekly yoga classes, communal island bench for shared lunches, stocked fridge, targeted finish a 2pm on Fridays with drinks and extended lunches to go to the gym.

Cons

* Not a place for mediocrity, no tolerance for laziness. * There are high expectations, if you are not ambitious or willing to back your productivity/results with the work, probably not for you. * Long hours (across the board in recruitment) - not a 9 - 5 job * A lot of time sitting at a computer. * You have to be efficient to be successful, time management and organisation is crucial. * Its hard work, recruitment is not for everyone there are a lot of up's and down's in a sales-driven environment.

Continue reading

"What it's like to work as a Graduate Recruitment Consultant"

2.0
    Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Sydney

I worked at GQR Global Markets full-time for less than a year

Pros

# People are really friendly # No office attire required you can literally come in with shorts and thongs # You MAY make a lot of money if you're a shark and in your 2nd year you have no commission cap. Additionally with repeat business the job may actually become easier because you have so many jobs and clients may contact you for repeat business. #Cool monthly, quarterly half yearly and yearly incentives if you hit targets and you even get to work in another office for a week and they subsidize some of the cost. #Friday's are good you can leave at 4 and they usually have a couple of beers in the office or they go to a bar it was fun.

Cons

#KPI'S after the 6 week training period which was already kind of difficult get a lot harder and if you fail to hit your targets consistently they will get rid of you after a few months. #The sectors to work in include (Acccounting, Law, M&A, Tech, QTD) ect. The KPI'S are the same across every sector... But there aren't as many companies in the QTD space for example which is basically tech guys but for specifically banks, asset management firms ect) which makes it hard to be the same when you're competing against other sectors and failure will not be an excuse. *Hours are long 8-6 MINIMUM and it's pretty difficult to get everything done on a consistent basis you will be staying back a lot until to 7 or 8 sometimes. *Pay is dead average at first and it's actually worse for the extra 2 hours per day. If you're really good maybe in you're 2nd year you will be earning a lot more but it's going to be only for the best and every month you don't hit target that deficit will roll over to the next month forcing delay to commission when you do make bank.

Talent Acquisition

First and foremost, thank you for your candid review. Your feedback serves as a reminder that not all career paths at GQR are for everyone. With our core values in mind – ambition, adventure and accountability – it is our philosophy that exceptional outcomes often require excellent investment. We are proud of the culture we have built as well as our commitment to further invest in our people, platform and processes to promote collaboration, specialisation and globalisation. Thank you for the comments that reinforce these principles. With this in mind, we would like to address some of your comments directly to provide clarification on some of our processes and methodologies. First Six Weeks Training: We fully embrace that our training program is challenging. By designing it in this way, we give you the ability to become as successful as possible as quickly as possible. There have been numerous success stories throughout the business of individuals who have seen success in their first few weeks by sticking to the fundamentals they learned at the commencement of their training. That said, we actively look for ways to improve the program - carefully considering various components including the length of training to maximise your ability to generate revenue quickly. Sector KPI’s: While it is true that KPIs for the first half of training is universal across each market, we take an accumulated average of your performance to assess results. This approach strives to balance out weeks that are more KPI ambitious over weeks that are more geared for learning and development. Following the first half of training, targets are unique to each team and ultimately each individual to account for the diversity of each of our markets and specialisms – and for similar reasons you highlighted in your review. The goal is for each person who receives our 12-weeks of training to have the skills and knowledge to make them a successful 360-degree recruiter. Hours: To remain diverse and inclusive of the needs of our people and to best support the markets and businesses we serve, each of our global offices maintains hours unique to them. For the Sydney office, our hours are in fact 8 AM to 6 PM with an early release at 3 PM on Fridays for those on target. We have made it a strict point not to require anyone to work beyond designated office hours. However, accountability is of utmost importance to our organisation. Some individuals might feel the need to work outside regular office hours to achieve success – and we would not deter anyone from realising this. Pay: We would like to stress that you are embarking on a career path when you join GQR. We offer excellent exposure, long-term development and the opportunity for high earnings to those individuals who approach the role with tenacity and a sense of entrepreneurialism. If you are looking for a comfortable base, we agree that GQR might not be the best fit for you. If you are looking for the chance to operate autonomously with an uncapped commission structure, GQR most definitely is the place for you. We have two recent examples of individuals in our Sydney office earning $300k+ in their second year. Again, we thank you for your feedback and hope that we have provided some clarity on our culture and methodologies. If you are reading this review and feel you have further questions or are interested in an opportunity, we encourage you to please contact one of our talent acquisition specialist.

"Review of Time At GQR To Date (Sydney)"

Current Employee - Associate/Entry Level in Sydney

I have been working at GQR Global Markets full-time for less than a year

Pros

Summary: Ambitious company with a demanding work environment. Set very high expectations and targets but do this to aim to maximise your potential. If you are very intelligent and want to completely commit to being successful in recruitment then this is a good environment for you to develop and succeed. If you are not as driven or ambitious and not comfortable being pushed / stretched then this is not the right place for you. Pros: - Earning potential unlike many other entry level roles / careers - Complete autonomy on how you manage your own desk / career - Senior management always available to provide guidance / ask questions to

Cons

- Long hours (This is more a reflection of the recruitment industry in general and what is required to be successful, especially when you are new to the industry).

GQR

We really appreciate you taking the time to submit this thorough feedback. Thank you so much for taking the time! All of the feedback you have provided is a great representation of our company culture and drive. The recruitment industry is very demanding and is not meant for everyone. Those who strive to excel in this business have found great rewards. We are definitely working on ramping up our work-life balance with more incentives and get-togethers that promote the positivity our colleagues constantly radiate. Thank you for helping us make our company the best place it can be.

Found 171 reviews