Genesis HealthCare Employee Reviews about "patient care"

Updated 6 Aug 2020

3.2
Genesis HealthCare CEO George V. Hager Jr.
George V. Hager Jr.
Pros
Cons
  • "Wages aren't great, upper management can be a pain(in 89 reviews)

• "I feel the company should be more directed towards patient care(in 60 reviews)

Reviews about "patient care"

Return to all Reviews

"Poor company"

2.0
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Somerset, MA

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Within the facilities, many great staff can be found who provide excellent patient care.

Cons

Corporation sees you as a number. Mediocre benefits, vacation/sick time is cut every year. Poor incentive to pick up shifts If any is approved. When census is low, constantly try to cancel staff for scheduled shifts to save money. This company is in it for the money, the patients suffer due to staffing ratios.

"Keep looking forward!"

4.0
    Current Employee - Clinical Director

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I have been at this facility for a long time. I've been through a lot of ups and downs with the company. I will say that I see much improvement with our new administrator, Stacy Omar. She is positive and tries her best to help solve issues at hand. Concerns brought to her seem to get resolved within a timely fashion. She is professional and I am glad to be part of her team. There are also various other employees I genuinely love to work with.

Cons

I feel the company should be more directed towards patient care. The patient ratio at times is unrealistic in order to provide good, quality care to every patient.

"Seasoned Employee Viewpoint"

4.0
    Current Employee - Manager in Kennett Square, PA

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Longevity/Stability in industry when many other similar size companies in this industry have folded. Genesis is committed to operating with integrity, is patient focused, and offers a family-like atmosphere even for a company this size (about 70K employees). The work is rewarding even if you are not a direct patient care giver. Career advancement and opportunities abound. Employee recognition picnics held throughout the company. I've been with the company for 18 years!

Cons

Unlike other businesses that can charge market prices for goods and services, the long-term care industry is highly regulated and cannot. Therefore if government reimbursements (revenue) are cut, expenses must be curtailed. This scenario has led to static wages and removal of the 401K match for employees. The industry is cyclical with a trend to a more positive state which will improve employee wage and benefit plans.

October 30, 2019Marketing Specialist

Thank you for your positive review! Genesis employees are our most valuable resource. Through the talents and extraordinary dedication that our employees bring to their jobs each and every day, they make it possible to achieve our mission of providing high-quality healthcare and everyday compassion.

"Horrific!"

Former Employee - Irrelevant in Springfield, VT

I worked at Genesis HealthCare full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There are none... just when you think there is something to look forward to, it's gone.

Cons

Where to start... The management team is horrible!! The staff turnover is gigantic and mostly because upper management likes to play favorites and does not follow any of the company's mission and vision statements. Nothing is done fairly within the staff. Employees are treated differently depending on who they're friends with. Their culture and values are in the toilet and have no regard for anyone but themselves... including patients and patient care.

September 9, 2019Marketing Specialist

Thank you for sharing your feedback. Your input is critical for Genesis to improve our operations. To report a concern, please contact our Compliance Department at Reachout@genesishcc.com so we can further investigate.

"run"

Current Employee - COTA/L

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare full-time

Pros

other nice therapists who cared

Cons

all about money and not patient care

6. "All about money"

2.0
    Former Employee - SLP in Aurora, IL
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Genesis HealthCare full-time for more than a year

Pros

Competitive pay for the setting

Cons

All about productivity, not patient care

May 28, 2019Marketing Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. Our employees are the vital link between our patients and residents. We value your review.

7. "It could be better, could be worse"

Current Employee - Physical Therapist

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare full-time

Pros

Awesome coworkers, nicer-than-some facilities

Cons

Company’s priorities are completely skewed. Only care about money, not patient care and not about employee satisfaction

April 8, 2019Marketing Specialist

Genesis believes operating with integrity is extremely important, and hence, we treat all concerns seriously and handled with sensitivity. To report issues of concern, please contact our Genesis Reach Out Line at 1-800-893-2094. This confidential line is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

8. "Poor Employee Support"

Former Contractor - Physical Therapist
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Genesis HealthCare for less than a year

Pros

As a contract worker, hiring was quick and efficient.

Cons

No time was set aside for even a brief orientation. I was handed an iPad, told to set up my account by spending an hour on the phone with tech support, and then given my schedule for the day. I wasn't shown around the facility, introduced to other staff, or given guidance with specifics of the facility. There was no management at the site, so schedules were done by people who had no idea what the caseload looked like or who had an idea of a patient's situation. Hours were inconsistent - some days would be 4 hours of patient care while others were up to 11 hours. Overall, company was looking to make as much money as possible and had no interest in patient care.

9. "Boo"

Current Employee - Certified Nursing Assistant CNA

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Coworkers Residents Ability to work around my schedule

Cons

Cheap Poorly managed Care about the bottom line more than patient care.

"Profit-Oriented"

Former Employee - Physical Therapist

I worked at Genesis HealthCare full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Coworkers are usually very helpful and friendly.

Cons

Genesis is increasingly focused on profits, with declining focus on quality patient care or employee satisfaction. Increased use of group/concurrent sessions with assistants, with use of PT/OT mainly for documentation and to maintain compliance with therapist visits. Length of stay/episode of care is usually way too short or way too long, and not based on therapist recommendations; it is now increasingly dictated by DOR or nursing staff to maximize profits at the facility. Genesis-owned facilities are usually dirty and understaffed, while outside facilities with Genesis-contracted therapy departments are usually cleaner and provide better care to residents. Poor PTO amounts, with difficulty taking multiple days off for a vacation. Usually asked to work weekends to make up for days off (who needs PTO then?!)

Found 76 reviews