Gensler Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

4.0
Gensler CEO Andy Cohen and Diane Hoskins
Andy Cohen and Diane Hoskins
Pros
Cons
  • "There is so much going on, it is too easy to let work/life balance take a back seat(in 40 reviews)

• "Nothing out of the ordinary (can be long hours, navigating politics)(in 37 reviews)

1. "Interior Designer"

Current Employee - Interior Designer

I have been working at Gensler full-time for more than a year

Pros

Amazing culture, non-hierarchical, many oppertunities for growth and learning, stong research led firm, global opertunities

Cons

Technology should be improved across all levels of staff, financial rewards are average

Gensler2018-12-27

January 7, 2019Gensler Response

Thanks for providing such terrific feedback on your experience at Gensler. We love to hear from our people!

2. "Excellent place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney

I have been working at Gensler full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Top tier company; excellent management; benefits of being a small office with large, global support network; great community culture and amazing colleagues to work with; recognition of talent and hard work with great opportunities for advancement.

Cons

There are no major cons.

Advice to Management

Are doing an amazing job, continuing to keep the company at the top of the industry worldwide ! Management must be doing something right!

Gensler2018-05-05

May 11, 2018Gensler Response

We are flattered by your amazing feedback and are especially happy to know that you are experiencing the benefits of being in a small office while still having access to our global network of talented design professionals. We value our local roots and always strive to be local first. ...

3. "Great Place to Grow"

Former Employee - Human Resources

I worked at Gensler full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

You really build your own path at Gensler, you will get as far as you want as long as you put in the work

Cons

Some favoritism, compensation structure could be better (focus on base instead of bonuses)

Gensler2019-09-18
  4. "Great place to work! Great people!"

Current Employee - Studio Coordinator

I have been working at Gensler full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good people, good work

Cons

No cons here - it's a great place to be

Gensler2019-09-11

September 13, 2019Gensler Response

Thanks for taking the time to provide feedback on your experience at Gensler. We value the opinions of all our people and appreciate your willingness to share these comments with us.

5. "Fair and enjoyable"

Current Employee - Studio Coordinator in Washington, DC

I have been working at Gensler full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great environment to work and grow. Many opportunities to advance. If you assert yourself in the right way you will go far

Cons

wildly successful and great opportunities come at a cost. W Work life balance will suffer a little if you want to advances

Gensler2019-09-10

September 11, 2019Gensler Response

Thanks for the feedback! We take pride in fostering an exceptional professional experience for all our people!

"Great firm globally, newer leadership of the Chicago office raises questions"

Current Employee - Architect in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Gensler full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Gensler is an incredible global power house for design. The co CEO's are engaged and set a clear direction for the firm. There is lots of talent across the firm and the offices work together to deliver projects and share information and talent. It's a big firm that works best for someone with an entrepreneurial spirit who knows what they want and can chart their own path to get it.

Cons

These "cons" are Chicago specific and so are the ratings below. The newer Chicago office leadership put in place a little over a year ago doesn't seem to have the same level of communication as previous leaders. Transparency seems missing. Quick experiments with reorganizing the office have created uncertainty and some anxiety. While over half of the staff lost assigned desks to make more room for meeting space,... the new leadership enjoy new, large private offices with doors ( which is a first in the Chicago office) with lots of space to display personal items and cork walls that can be tacked. Recently I heard them tell a group of designers they wanted to see more of their work tacked up and displayed. People were looking at each other because there is a real lack of tack space. It was like, "Tack it where? In your offices?"

Advice to Management

-clarify a vision for the office -be sensitive to changes without fully thinking things through and communicating -be self aware - realize the new large offices with a wall of support personnel blocking access to you sends a bad message to people who have to keep all of their belonging in a shoe box

Gensler2019-09-15

September 16, 2019Gensler Response

Thanks for the feedback. We treat the concerns of every person seriously and have a robust system with multiple channels for reporting issues. We believe integrity, trust, and mutual respect are fundamental to our practice and our culture.

7. "Well known firm but not the culture and environment I thought it would be"

Former Employee - Designer in Toronto, ON
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Gensler full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Organized and has many resources - Good benefits compared to others - International opportunity

Cons

- Too global and hard to communicate - Been to other Gensler offices and the Toronto culture is not that great - Didn't feel genuinely valued

Advice to Management

- Work on culture and building genuine connection within the firm. The next generation will find that important when looking for a job.

Gensler2019-09-06

September 6, 2019Gensler Response

Thanks for the feedback. We treat the concerns of every person at our firm seriously and have a robust system with multiple channels for reporting issues. Encouraging everyone to ask questions and provide honest feedback is critical to supporting our culture, as well as our values ...

8. "Supportive Company"

Current Employee - Architect

I have been working at Gensler full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Extremely collaborative and supportive environment. Lots of opportunities for continuing education and professional development.

Cons

Easier to focus on an individual/project level and office level as firmwide can be a bit slower due to size.

Gensler2019-09-04

September 5, 2019Gensler Response

Thanks for the fantastic feedback! We take pride in fostering an exceptional team member experience for all our people and will seek to continually raise the bar!

9. "Great Experience Overall"

Former Employee - Mid Level Management

I worked at Gensler full-time

Pros

It is a wonderful place to grow and learn about the architecture and interior design. There are a lot of very talented people working there. Gensler has exception resources and research that influences design. Offices and firm leaders talk to each other and share talent. There are monthly office meetings with in-house entertainment and a guest lecture series of talented professionals. Most talented and... productive team I have ever worked with.

Cons

The firm struggles with the challenges of any large firm, engaging its talent and moving forward. Gensler has a unique culture that may not work for everyone.

Gensler2019-09-04

September 4, 2019Gensler Response

Thanks for providing feedback on your experience at Gensler. We value the opinions of all our people and encourage everyone at Gensler to make their voice heard.

10. "Was Promising Until It Wasn't"

Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Gensler full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good co-workers, life long friends, great networking opportunities

Cons

Senior Management operates in a shady way. People have too much power and will fire people with no warning and no reason. HR is not helpful and has been known to share salary information, personal details about employees lives, and generally doesn't seem to care what their actual function is. Admin staff are undervalued and not paid consistently across the board. The "leaders" that head up the Coordinators are... both inept, rude and inconsistent with their behaviors. Even after over a year has passed I still hear the same sentiment from my former colleagues.

Advice to Management

Such a mess. Take peoples exit interviews seriously and stop keeping morons in positions o f power.

Gensler2019-09-17