Gensler Reviews

3.7
Gensler Co-CEOs Andy Cohen and Diane Hoskins
Andy Cohen and Diane Hoskins
Pros
Cons
  • "work life balance, too competitive at times(in 48 reviews)

• "Long hours and some directors who are out of touch with employee wellbeing(in 48 reviews)

1. "Interior Designer"

Current Employee - Interior Designer

I have been working at Gensler full-time for more than a year

Pros

Amazing culture, non-hierarchical, many oppertunities for growth and learning, stong research led firm, global opertunities

Cons

Technology should be improved across all levels of staff, financial rewards are average

January 7, 2019Gensler Response

Thanks for providing such terrific feedback on your experience at Gensler. We love to hear from our people!

2. "Pros and Cons"

Former Employee - Designer in Sydney

I worked at Gensler full-time for more than a year

Pros

You receive two bonuses a year

Cons

Even with the two bonuses received you're not paid enough, compared with the current market.

April 27, 2020

Thanks for the feedback. We treat workplace concerns seriously and address them in accordance with our internal policies and procedures. We have multiple channels for reporting issues and we train and encourage our team members to use them. Encouraging everyone to ask questions and provide honest feedback is critical to supporting our culture and our values of integrity, trust and mutual respect.

3. "Excellent place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney

I have been working at Gensler full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Top tier company; excellent management; benefits of being a small office with large, global support network; great community culture and amazing colleagues to work with; recognition of talent and hard work with great opportunities for advancement.

Cons

There are no major cons.

May 11, 2018Gensler Response

We are flattered by your amazing feedback and are especially happy to know that you are experiencing the benefits of being in a small office while still having access to our global network of talented design professionals. We value our local roots and always strive to be local first. Thanks again for the feedback and for all the work you do on behalf of our firm and our clients.

"Great place, but don't drink the kool-aid."

4.0
    Former Employee - Architect in New York, NY
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Gensler full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Many of the projects are very good, and fun to work on. Everyone is very accessible and most are easy to work with. The studio system means you work with a smaller group of people while having the resources of a very large firm, and Gensler treats their employees well.

Cons

Unless you are very lucky, very loud, or VERY motivated, Gensler does not do a great job at recognizing, rewarding, or developing talent, even though they make all the right noises. Unless you are one of the chosen favorites in a studio, you won't have the opportunities to work on the great projects or in the areas you want to work in. I watched many, many people get passed over for promotions to some young gun who hosted an office movie night or something, even if their credentials - seniority, licensure, client recommendations, etc. - were much higher. This is a firm that comforts you into thinking they're different, but acts like every other corporation. It's a good place to work if you go in with your eyes open.

June 15, 2020

Thanks for taking the time to share feedback on your experience at Gensler. We appreciate your candor and consider all the feedback we receive. Providing honest feedback is critical to supporting our culture and our values of integrity, trust and mutual respect. We appreciate your feedback and will share your comments with the firm’s leadership.

"Know what you are getting into"

2.0
    Former Employee - Designer
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Gensler full-time

Pros

World class talent, business expertise, client experience.

Cons

A corporation that values bottom-line over design and people. Toxic, narcissistic managerial practices are encouraged and promoted because this kind of leadership allows for the manipulation of people into working for free. This is why the company touts being a billion-dollar company (a large profit margin when all are working overtime for free and don't share it back with non-principal employees), while many employees get low bonuses and salaries. Patriarchial and white supremacy is blatantly visible at all leadership levels with a few token minorities to promote "diversity" -- see instagram account @blackatgensler. I have only seen white, blonde and token asians as "star designers", even principal's children abusing their privilege of being promoted quickly, meanwhile the rest of the employees (including minorities) had to "wait their turn" to be recognized as associates. Systemic racism and misogynism are very well in place, visible, and hard to disrupt.

6. "nice atmosphere"

Former Employee - Technical Designer

I worked at Gensler full-time for less than a year

Pros

nice atmosphere + good food and teammates

Cons

not that efficient, facade team and core team just focus on on thing

July 27, 2020

Thanks for taking the time to share feedback on your experience at Gensler. We appreciate your candor and consider all the feedback we receive and will share your comments with leadership . We appreciate your feedback and will share your comments with leadership.

7. COVID-19

"Very corporate, constant under the gun work ethic."

2.0
    Former Employee - Designer in Oakland, CA

I worked at Gensler full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

A lot of resources and tools to continue growth and learning in the field. Also to help get those deliverables out efficiently and on the fly

Cons

Very top heavy. Promotes toxic competitive me culture. Profit comes before employees. This means a lot of low fee contracts and squeezing free hours out of the employees. Salary’s are average but only if you include the annual bonus. The final disappointment was how they handled the covid global pandemic crisis. The ship was sinking and projects were being canceled left and right. Gensler was quick to cut employees free with no health insurance, no warning, little help with unemployment resources and zero transparency. It was brutal and felt sociopathic. While most tech companies, even small ones were handling the ongoing crisis with care, Gensler had no problem kicking their long-term dedicated employees to the curb in an unbelievably non-human way. You can tell a well managed company from a poorly managed one on how they operate during a crisis and Gensler failed miserably.

July 27, 2020

Our world and our communities have been thrust into an unprecedented crisis that changes daily. This is causing upheaval and uncertainty in our economy. Unfortunately, we are seeing an impact in our business. As a firm that values its people, these decisions are extremely difficult. We will continue to do everything we can to make our team member experience as rewarding as possible. We appreciate your feedback and will share your comments with the firm’s leadership.

8. "Great firm to start your career at"

I worked at Gensler full-time

Pros

Sociable colleagues, brand new office

Cons

Decent salary compared to local firms but much lower than firms of its range

July 13, 2020

Thanks so much for the feedback. We love to hear from our alumni and wish you all the best in your current and future endeavors.

9. "Good Environment"

Former Employee - Architect Assistant in Houston, TX

I worked at Gensler full-time for less than a year

Pros

some great international experience and great office connect across the globe

Cons

tough ladder to climb for juniors

July 13, 2020

Thanks for providing feedback on your experience at Gensler. We appreciate our alumni and value their perspectives.

10. "Excellent work culture"

4.0
    Former Employee - H R

I worked at Gensler full-time

Pros

Excellent work culture and great workplace

Cons

I didn't encounter any downside

Found 996 reviews