Find jobs for Sales

Glassdoor CEO Christian Sutherland-Wong
Christian Sutherland-Wong
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee

A career for recent grads

Jun 21, 2021 - Sales Development Representative in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

I recently started my career with Glassdoor in sales and it has been an amazing and welcoming experience so far! From my manager to my team and senior management, they have all extended so much help and have made my transition a lot more smooth. I could not have asked for a better team and manager! A great first experience so far!

Cons

The training was a bit overwhelming but then again, it was packed with a lot of information and that's a sign in the right direction suggesting that sales reps are supposed to be equipped with a lot of knowledge about Glassdoor's products. There was a lot of effort put into the onboarding process and that must be taken into consideration when judging the "overwhelming" aspect. Great team, great company, great manager, and no cons that outshine any of that.

2. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Direction unclear

Jul 15, 2021 - Sales
    Business Outlook

Pros

Still a great place to work. Leadership team places a focus on making sure sales team is still happy and motivated during a year of significant change.

Cons

The back-end merger with Indeed has completely changed the business model in the past year. Glassdoor's previously nimble systems are being rolled into a much larger company.

3. Ask Employees™

How satisfied are you with the quality of your coworkers at Glassdoor?

Polled: Jul 2021Responses: 203 ResponsesResponses: 203Audience: All employees
    Very Satisfied 111 (55%)
    Featured Employee Response

My co-workers are incredibly smart, resourceful, and kind. On the days that I don't feel like showing up, they pull me forward. I've done some of the best work of my career because of the people around me.

4. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

The Best Onboarding Experience!

Jul 15, 2021 - Senior Sales Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

I felt part of the team day 1. This is been nothing short of a wonderful experience!

Cons

Not many medical benefits options

3 people found this review helpful
  5. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Finally found a home

Apr 22, 2021 - Enterprise Inside Sales Representative in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Glassdoor is very transparent. The leadership is so encouraging and they really listen whenever you have concerns. The benefits and salary are the best I've had in 10+ career since college. I'm so lucky to work here.

Cons

Because of the state of a digital business, there is a fair amount of turnover and you need to adjust to new team members frequently.

6. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Stay away from sales

Dec 14, 2020 - Sales
    Business Outlook

Pros

Glassdoor hires good people, has a flexible working environment and has a good mission

Cons

1. Little autonomy. Ever since the “partnership” with Indeed, we have lost all autonomy in our book of business. 2. Zero transparency or executive level support. The entire executive team seems to have zero idea what is happening in the go-to-market org 3. Continuous roadblocks to success. You’re not setting your sales reps up for success and you’re seeing people leave because they realize the workload is not sustainable. 4. Lack of diversity. I am the only POC on my team and one of the few in the entire sales org 5. Measurement. If you expect your reps to perform, give them quotas on time and transparency into how they are built 6. Collaboration. Properly define the roles and responsibilities between AMs/CSMs and the Indeed counterparts. It’s provides chaos internally and a poor client experience externally

7 people found this review helpful
  7. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Seemingly progressive company with a below average maternity leave policy

Feb 9, 2021 - Sales
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great sales culture. Lots of autonomy and flexibility to get the sale done. Reps are very relationship/consultative selling focused. It’s competitive but also collaborative. Not a lot of slime. Sales managers are willing to help when you need it but also don’t babysit you. The sales culture is what keeps a lot of the sales reps here. You have the opportunity to win big. Because I touch base on Maternity leave below, I will point out there was recently additional fertility coverage added to our benefits that was a great step in the right direction. While our Paternity leave could be longer, it’s competitive and the flexibility with timing is a nice bonus. Many companies don’t offer that flexibility.

Cons

Maternity Leave: I am writing this review specifically to draw attention to our maternity leave policy in the US. We spend an enormous amount of time and internal resources striving to be an inclusive/progressive company, stressing that we will lead the way in multiple capacities, however the bar we set for our own maternity leave is the bare minimum for local laws. I would go into detail as to why this leave policy is detrimental to the women in our US organization, but I have faith that any glassdoor leader reading this would understand why this hurts a women's professional career and personal life. So with this, I ask you to do something about it. Chat with the women of this company and discuss a better policy. Increase the length to be competitive in our industry, add in a transition plan that allows mother's to slowly come back, build a network of mentors to help support new mother's. Ensure we have proper coverage while individuals are out. Built it into our organization. It is no secret women have struggled coming back, and some have recently decided not to come back. We can not pretend to be a forward thinking company with a bare minimum plan. I don’t think this is an unreasonable ask. Our colleagues in other countries have a more robust policy simply because their laws requires it. Is that our bar? Maternity leave is something that isn’t openly talked about because our women do not want to seem non-career focused, weak, or proposing something that’s self serving. Maternity leave is not a vacation. I am asking Glassdoor to do better. Lead the way. We are approaching a new fiscal year, dust off the policy and help the women of Glassdoor. I also encourage other women to speak up who are frustrated by this policy. I can’t believe I have to resort to an anonymous review. Quota Creation: How rep quotas are created and the metric we use to track revenue creates a false narrative of success and is fundamentally broken. It can be really frustrating as a rep. The plan resets each quarter and disproportionally rewards reps for selling short term display. Bringing on new customers, retaining clients, and growth on renewals doesn't move the needle. The leader board is a reflection of who has accounts that purchase display (not a dig on them, good for them). The most frustrating part about this is that I'm pretty sure SOPs keeps doing this because we don't have the time or resources to put together a better methodology. It's detrimental to our long term success as a company and (silently) effects things like product adoption and client retention. Dumpster Fire on the Front Lines: Reps are spending an enormous amount of time trying to navigate finance / contracts / data / CMPP launch etc. with the new partnership. Customers are feeling this pain too. It doesn’t feel like there is a real strategy in place and the admin side of the job has taken over to become where we’re spending most of our time. Reps are leaving because of this and then them leaving make it even worse. Sales leadership keeps praising revenue in all hands meetings but we are crumbling here on the front lines. We are drowning.

10 people found this review helpful
  8. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

As transparent as a brick wall.

May 14, 2020 - Sales in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

1. The People. I’m sure you’ll see this in the Pros section on each review as of late. I will always be grateful for the friendships I made while working at Glassdoor. 2. The Experience. We did not have a solidified sales process at Glassdoor (see further information below), which in turn pushed us to get creative and to work even harder to see success. This experience will help me in sales roles and sales management roles to come.

Cons

I’ve chosen to list my cons by category. I hope you’ll take these seriously. You’ll notice a correlation between some of these cons and Glassdoor’s recently released “Company Values”. 1. “We Are Transparent” is no longer true: Glassdoor is a company that was built on the foundation of transparency. For a while, we were living up to this and maintaining a transparent workplace. However, senior leadership (primarily VPs and above) completely lost sight of this value in the last year or so. I cannot stress this enough - You CANNOT preach the value in transparency to your employees, and then completely hide details of major decisions taking place within the company. For example, Glassdoor leaders, including Christian (CEO) and our Chief Economist, spoke in front of our entire workforce on multiple occasions to reassure us that Glassdoor was going to make it out of these COVID-19 times just fine. They told us we should not be worried, that Glassdoor made financial decisions in the past to prepare for something like this, and that we will protect our people AT ALL COSTS. They then put a surprise meeting on our calendar to lay off 300 employees, including President Club Winners, Top Performers, and some of our most Amazing Leaders. What they (Christian) neglected to even hint at was the fact that they had a different plan for Glassdoor - one that makes the company look a LOT different than it did a week ago. They had a meeting with the entire workforce the day after they laid us off to lay out a detailed restructure plan, with prepared materials, which had to take months or even the whole year to plan out with Indeed. Seems pretty convenient that they used COVID-19 as an excuse to execute a wildly different plan for the company. When Glassdoor was purchased, leadership repeated SO many times that we would not merge or start working too closely with Indeed. It is also unbelievable that Indeed did not lay off any employees - they just took our jobs and Glassdoor didn’t even offer reps/managers the opportunity to stay on the team (again, MANY of these laid off reps/managers were top performers). 2. “We are Innovative” …boy, I wish that were true: There were zero MEANINGFUL changes, advances or additions to Glassdoor’s GTM product suite in years. Sure, we would come out with some small update or addition to our solution from time to time, but it was never a change that prospects/clients deeply cared about. When entering into a discovery call, there was no way I could respond honestly when a prospect would say “I’ve spoken to Glassdoor multiple times. Your team keeps reaching out about new updates. Has your product changed at all or do you have any new products?” It was pretty embarrassing and made it difficult to effectively do the job. 3. “We Are Good People” …well, you used to be: Again, 300 people laid off, NOT based on performance. We are the people that built Glassdoor’s culture DESPITE leadership challenges. We worked incredibly hard for the company, and we made Glassdoor into what it was DESPITE our out of touch leaders. Glassdoor is 1 million percent NOT the same company it was a week ago. If you are attracted to roles at Glassdoor because of the culture, please do not be fooled. The culture will never be the same. The video you see in the first tab of Glassdoor’s Why Work for Us section highlights the people at Glassdoor…Ironically it includes many people who were recently laid off. 4. “We Have GRIT”: Growth: We were expanding, hiring, and looking to move into new offices in San Fran and Chicago. Obviously, COVID-19 impacted this and Glassdoor is no longer growing. Results: Leadership knows how terribly they messed up last fiscal year when they made the books for hunter reps. It was an abomination. They divided books based on “spend potential”, which relied on incredibly inaccurate data in Salesforce. This meant that some of our best reps suffered and barely anyone reached their annual quotas. All we got was a small “sorry this was an oversight”, then the message preached to everyone was “keep working hard” …as if that were the issue. Great leaders and reps left Glassdoor because of how badly leadership messed up and because of the direction the company was going. This happened before layoffs were even in question, so Glassdoor was going downhill this whole past year. Integrity: Most of us feel really let down that Christian and others did not even give us clarity or honesty about how Glassdoor was reorganizing with Indeed - they just blamed everything on COVID-19. This doesn’t ring “integrity” to me. Teamwork: The time it took to make change or get simple projects done was ridiculous. For even the simplest change, we would have to wait on layers of leadership approvals, “leaders” dragging their feet, and conflict between leaders that have MBAs and those who did not delaying the process. It was so frustrating. 5. SDR Org: While the SDR Org made some progress since year’s past, it was still a mess. Leaders having multiple long meetings weekly to try and make change, only to be pushed off by executive leadership as an afterthought. The SDR Org did not get the respect it deserves. These reps are the future of your sales Org, yet you consistently messed up their quotas, did not provide the correct training and enablement to help these reps succeed, and left everything on the managers’ plates to deal with. To all of the former Glassdoor SDRs reading this post: Know that you are incredibly valuable, and you were the lifeline of the sales Org. I’m just sorry executive leadership pushed you to the side. 6. Enablement: Enablement was understaffed and could not provide the resources each Organization needed to succeed. Training and development were left on the shoulders of each manager at Glassdoor. Glassdoor does not have an official sales process or sales methodology. Therefore, SDRs and Reps alike had to work even harder to develop their own process and hopefully be successful. Luckily, this just made me better at my job. However, it is a disservice to your employees to not provide proper training. 7. CEO: Christian took over for Robert as CEO, and things went downhill. Christian has shown on multiple occasions his inability to lead and get “buy-in” from his employees. From leaving meetings early that he was clearly unprepared for, to poorly delivering the news of layoffs, Christian seems to be in over his head. In one meeting, Christian bragged about creating the culture at LinkedIn…it left such a bad taste in so many mouths. Glassdoor is not LinkedIn, and I can promise you Christian had nothing to do with Glassdoor culture when it was strong – that was 100% the employees. 8. Things I unfortunately dealt with while working at Glassdoor: Glassdoor preaches transparency and even released a “Know Your Worth” tool to help candidates calculate what salary they should be making in their given field. This is SO ironic because my colleagues and I were specifically told we shouldn’t talk with one another about how much money we make…at the most “transparent” company around. It turns out this was preached to us because we were not all making the same amount. For example, I was being paid less than 85% of my colleagues. Let this sink in for a minute…I had a longer tenure at Glassdoor than any of those colleagues, I had the most experience at Glassdoor compared to those colleagues, and, like myself, these colleagues had zero management experience before entering into these roles. I was also told I absolutely 100% could NOT negotiate a salary higher than a certain amount, then I come to find 85% of my colleagues were being paid above that amount. Shocking for a company that talks so highly about equal pay for equal work. There were a couple examples of male employees that were acting inappropriately at Glassdoor. I won’t go into the details here, but what I will say was during a full-blown HR investigation into one employee, for whatever reason leadership decided he could stay in the office and continue working while this was going on. Imagine the discomfort, fear, and anxiety this caused the people who were involved in that investigation. For some reason, that always stuck with me. Poorly handled. 9. Important call outs: If you would have asked me to rate Glassdoor 1.5-2 years ago, I would have said 4 stars. I always pictured staying with the company for a long time, and I am grateful to a few of the direct leaders I had that always supported me. Please do not respond to this review with a canned response. Please do not cover mistakes with excuses, and please do not preach about “how well we are being taken care of” post layoffs. A Lot of the information you see above happened before layoffs. Please do not brag about creating an alumni slack channel…most ex-employees are likely too uncomfortable to post in there anyway due to the fact that Christian is in the channel as well. It would be a much more effective channel if people could connect and speak freely with one another.

104 people found this review helpful
  9. 5.0

Just feels like home

Mar 4, 2020 - Sales in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

-Refreshing to know that a company really really cares about it's people -Amazing mission -Amazing VALUES - GRIT, Transparency, Innovation, and Good People (aka eggs) -Just a great group of employees who work here (no jerks allowed, no big egos) -Feels like we are on the right track, although we've taken some turns -Offices and amenities are spectacular, especially Chicago -I love that we are always iterating and listening to feedback -the health care plans - they are good. SO great to have an amazing health and benefits packages which is not something you appreciate until you need it! -good leaders and good support throughout the org -feels like I can bring my TRUE self to work

Cons

-we've taken a few wrong turns on occasion and invested in areas that could have been better spent elsewhere, I think you can only see and know what's right in front of you though. If only we all had a crystal ball. -we've made a few mistakes in the past on territories, alignment, and roles and hopefully fixed them -all of our roles and jobs are NOT easy! It's always a challenge and often new challenges everyday -agility is something we could really work on, how to move fast - I think we are getting better

5 people found this review helpful

Glassdoor Response

Thanks for your thorough review, and leaving such valuable feedback to make us better. Our people truly are the “special sauce” at Glassdoor, and we’re proud of the amount of humility and collaborative nature that spans across our entire staff. By narrowing our focus in 2020 to become the worldwide leader in employer branding and insights, we hope to maximize the impact that each of our employees can have, and spend less time spread thin across multiple areas, and more time being subject matter experts in one singular area. We remain committed to supporting our employees first and continuing this meaningful journey together!

10. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Just A Number

Jul 17, 2020 - Sales in London, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

Unlimited Holiday Flexible Working Lots of Great People Great Product Line

Cons

Lack of transparency when it comes to future planning. Most of us feel like just a number during this transition period and we're doing a lot of hard work for no reward. Lots of change recently and more to come but when it comes to communicating the change it's been horrific. A change is announced then that change changes and then changes again. During some recent changes some of us told SLT here are some problems that we'll face and they were ignored and now the problems are at our door and they're now trying to correct them. All we ask is to be heard and to also know the UK is different to the US. With the new structure the pay and commission is not aligned within teams and it's all but been swept to the side. In many cases we aren't rewarded on all of the work we do and it just gets passed off to someone else to benefit from with the explanation that that's the rules sorry about no exceptions.

7 people found this review helpful
  11. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

people don't buy what you do they buy why you do it

Sep 15, 2020 - Sales
    Business Outlook

Pros

I'll admit feedback fatigue has been very real for me here at glassdoor, but that feedback has not come without purpose. we're back to what the old glassdoor was all about - it's messy as hell right now and that's okay. one thing is clear though; glassdoor is back to being an engine for progress. from that, i've gotten back in touch with an old familiar friend. something this salty, overstayed-their-welcome individual hasn't spoken of in a while... - 'pride' - pride for... -the hours i put in -the people i surround myself with -in what each sale means and every dollar does -us taking chances and risks again, not chasing competition but chasing progress -defending free speech -aspiring to create an inclusive society, challenging the status quo -seeing us challenge conversations around privilege and race -working to support gender equality and supporting gender identity that all is in-and-of-itself worthy of my pride. i don't work here because it's easy, im proud to be here because it is hard. the result is growth. so daps n pounds to you glassdoor for going for woke, not broke, in all of the above. some other aspects im particularly fond of: -employee safety and wellness - we acted quickly and before many companies to move to WFH amidst a growing pandemic. since then, we've had various support groups, up-leveled communications to keep people informed, and genuine efforts (even if not perfect) to keep people engaged. I applaud the workplace experience team's efforts. -D&I - we're on a mission now people. our product is evolving to encompass more D&I transparency for employers and we're first on the list of companies acknowledging that we have growing to do. it's refreshing to see us admit our flaws but already be hard at work to create a safe space for all. our employee resource groups led by Jacob Little have been eye opening. i knew nothing before and through this team i've been more exposed to how i can be a socially responsible global citizen. it's in its infancy but has so much potential. *on the above - if you are black, latino, asian, indigenous, LGBTQ - you have allies here. we've got work to do, and we're extremely imperfect, but we've got you.

Cons

the layoff and restructure was the single most taxing and emotionally draining experience of my professional career. there is a scar tissue that i dont believe will fade. it sucked. the whole experience can go kick rocks and the mess that it created has spawned more uncertainty that is hard to navigate. however, i do believe that the time and energy spent to get through that restructure a more prosperous future. i don't want to do that again and it's going to take me a while to get back to the output and productivity i once had. amidst all that, we struggle and continue to have an achilles heel in sales with good old fashioned communication and prioritization. what do we need to get done today, this week, this month - how are we gonna do it and who's owning it? ok. go. we have far too many internal meetings, deliberations and shifting messages. distill it down and keep it simple, especially for us on the front lines. it's been at times chaotic and other times mind numbing. the amount of problems we've had to solve for stacks miles high and people are tired. then again we're doing something we've never had to do before; lay-off 300 people, pick up the pieces, and move the company in a new direction. it's not easy. but we did slack on the fundamentals and that slowed us down significantly. someone once said: “great leaders are the ones who think beyond “short term” versus “long term.” They are the ones who know that it is not about the next quarter or the next election; it is about the next generation.” deep down though i know that despite all the frustrating and agonizing days that were this summer, they were meant to set our next generation up for something good. if you're reading this and you did something at some time to have someone's back to protect, coach, develop or counsel a colleague, direct report or peer through all of this, know you're appreciated. i speak for all of them.

3 people found this review helpful