Glassdoor Senior Software Engineer Reviews

1. 5.0

Good Company to Work

May 9, 2021 - Senior Software Engineer in Jersey City, NJ
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good Working Environment Great career progression good work environment seniors are helpful. Nice people here offering helping on all aspects of work. Great training session letting us get in touch with edge technologies within the industry.

Cons

Not anything I can think of right now, no cons as everything is good

2. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Awesome place to work!

Feb 26, 2021 - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great leadership. Everybody is very helpful

Cons

Not sure if I can find anything.

3. Ask Employees™

How satisfied are you with the quality of your coworkers at Glassdoor?

Polled: Jul 2021Responses: 203 ResponsesResponses: 203Audience: All employees
    Very Satisfied 111 (55%)
    Featured Employee Response

My co-workers are incredibly smart, resourceful, and kind. On the days that I don't feel like showing up, they pull me forward. I've done some of the best work of my career because of the people around me.

4. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

My job is to help others find a job they love!

Sep 16, 2020 - Senior Software Engineering Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

* Great people - i know cliche - but love the tech pool and challenges we solve everyday * Right level of empowerment and accountability! * Great values and benefits!

Cons

If I have to nitpick - would say as orgs have grown, it has created a bit of silos across B2B and B2C orgs.

5. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great Place to work

Oct 8, 2020 - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good People Great Culture Work Life balance

Cons

Career growth is stagnant Compensation is low

Glassdoor Response

Thanks for taking the time to drop us a review! It's great to hear that our work/life balance, people, and overall culture have exceeded your expectations so far. Regarding your feedback about compensation, you can read on our Glassdoor profile about how our team thinks about compensation and total rewards, as well as access all of our employee salary ranges which were published just last month. Thanks again for your feedback.

6. 4.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great place to learn and grow

Jul 21, 2020 - Senior Software Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good Benefits, great staff, diverse workforce, open to all technology (no one-size-fits -all approach)

Cons

Old technology, slow to innovate, lots of product churn and changes in direction

Glassdoor Response

Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. We’re pleased to hear your feedback regarding our employee benefits, Good People, and diverse backgrounds. While 2020 has had its share of unpredictability, we feel that our product innovation is stronger than ever. We are committed to strengthening our reputation as the best place in the world to go for employer branding and insights, which has led to innovative leaps in D&I and remote work data that will be released later this year. We’re excited for our new direction at Glassdoor as we focus back on our roots of being the platform that provides radical transparency for job seekers.

7. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great company, lots of future and growth

Mar 2, 2016 - Senior Web Developer in Mill Valley, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

First of all the culture is great, everyone I know are always ready to help, everyone is friendly and mostly in a great mood, that is because pretty much everyone is exited about our mission and vision, I think there is a great future to the company. Management is very accesible and open, they care for the individual and listen. There is also a bunch of talent and you can see how the architecture, and over all code get's better and better.

Cons

Technology wise they are not on the forefront, you can see this as an opportunity to really impact and contribute to better the code, but some people might see this as a turnoff. Again this is by no means a reflect on the knowledge and talent of devs, is more of legacy and honestly time because the company is growing extremely fast.

2 people found this review helpful
  8. 5.0
    Current Employee

A new standard for what a startup should be.

Jun 6, 2008 - Senior Software Engineer in Sausalito, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

This is my third San Francisco-area startup company. My first was sold to Novell, the second was sold to Macromedia. I thought I understood how successful startups are run. Glassdoor sets a new standard. These guys really know what they're doing, and understand what makes a company successful. I've learned new ways of thinking here, not just about coding, but also by watching our CEO and the VP of Marketing. They do things I would never have thought of doing. (This is the first marketing person for whom I've ever felt any respect!) Any startup is a gamble, but working with these guys gives me a lot of confidence that we will succeed. Both the CEO and VP of Engineering value individual contributors and creativity, and will let you know it. If you just want to code, and do it well, you'll be appreciated for that. The quality of our work life is great. The company is headquartered in beautiful Sausalito, California. Our offices are a block from the water, and 1/2 mile from kayak rentals. We can watch the fog come in over the mountains. On Friday afternoons we open beer and wine and sip while working at our desks and listening to music, which we all take turns D.J.'ing off an iPod. While it's a bit of a jock atmosphere, the company is gay-friendly. (We're just north of San Francisco, after all.)

Cons

Since this is a small company, there is limited opportunity to learn from your colleagues... If you're not comfortable going out and doing some research, you probably won't fit in here. Likewise, you need to be fairly self-directed. Everyone has to be willing to step into different roles, if necessary, so you might end up doing something onerous like PERL scripting, but these kinds of things are always temporary. On occasion, you'll put in long hours. (I've put in a lot of 10-hour days, and occasionally a 12-hour day.) These are voluntary, and I've never seen anyone pressured to work late. People just understand that hard work now will (hopefully) lead to compensatory rewards later. The company is currently a boy's club, and needs some female employees desperately. (I think that everyone realizes we need more balance.) I'm hoping that a year from now this will no longer be the case.

10 people found this review helpful
  9. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Building a Better Workplace by Example

Mar 8, 2016 - Senior Web Developer in Mill Valley, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

People care. People believe in the vision, and they believe in their peers, and go to lengths to show both of these to be true. This applies to interns and execs equally; drop by Robert's office to see how true it is for yourself. The culture reinforces itself when you see how hard people work to build something awesome, it's really inspirational. Flexible schedules. You're adults; if you can accomplish your work, you manage your own time (normal caveats apply, of course -- physical presence is still important, and there are only so many meeting times that will work for most people). Sweet perks - Free catered lunches, on-site gym, free bootcamp/Crossfit classes (yoga will be returning as well), some health/exercise related partner discounts, ping-pong, arcade games, beer on tap. Making a difference. Working here gives you an opportunity to positively affect people's lives across the workforce. Even better, it's universally applicable. Is there something that annoys you about work in general that you don't think needs to be that way? Here's a great place to start trying to work on that. Good brand. People commonly not only recognize but actually like the company, which gives super positive vibes. (Obligatory shout out to the awesome PR team!)

Cons

The first 2 aren't really hard "cons" as much as reminders that this is a bustling tech company, not a haven of freeloaders enjoying overcompensation and perks: 1) Things move very fast, and change is constant. Employees must be able to keep up. 2) Crunch time is no joke. Engineers might see long hours on a per-project basis, and salesmembers see it with the seasonal business. Other departments likely have similar waxes. I questioned whether the finance team ever left the office for months (during times I was working 11-12 hour days, no less). Bureaucracy is growing. As the company grows, so come more layers that slow everything down. This is exacerbated by new hires higher up on the food chain since they need to ramp on more things. Zero-to-market time on products has taken a hit. MVP delusions. Many products are initially built as lightweight as possible, or the "Minimum Viable Product" with the intention of filling out later, but... never quite get filled out. This mindset hurts engineering as much as it hurts the product by encouraging hacky, non-reusable code. A bit behind the tech curve. The product brainiacs (I don't mean that in a bad way; they're just smart) drive their roadmaps with gusto, leaving less time for engineering innovation and infrastructure. There have been some internal drives to address this, but there has been little penetration.

9 people found this review helpful
  10. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

A company is just a collection of idea and people

Mar 19, 2014 - Senior Software Engineer in Sausalito, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

I have been at Glassdoor only for 6 months now. From the moment I interviewed, to this very moment, I have been thrilled to be here. Glassdoor has a collection of wonderful people with wonderful ideas. Our goal is to help people to find the job they love, and as work is such a critical part of our lives, it is so important to be in an environment you love. I love being at Glassdoor. I have worked in many places over the years. I feel like I am home now with Glassdoor.

Cons

Every company has cons, we live in an imperfect world. Nothing of significance here.

1 person found this review helpful
  11. 5.0

Great Start!!

Jan 6, 2015 - Senior Software Engineer in Mill Valley, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

This review is after my first month at GD. - Great people - Smart coworkers - Great learning experience - I have got to do meaningful contribution in my first week itself.

Cons

- Commute is long. But its not so much of a problem for me. - Still need to improve some aspects of continuous integration and delivery. But the plans are in place.

8 people found this review helpful

SVP Engineering, CTO

Definitely agree we need to continue to make progress on our continuous integration solution. Hopefully even in the time since you joined you have seen significant progress. But we will keep pushing.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 21 Reviews