Glassdoor Employee Reviews about "great people"

Updated 20 Jul 2020

3.8
Glassdoor CEO Christian Sutherland-Wong
Christian Sutherland-Wong
Pros
  • "There is a lot of respect for your personal time and I think in general Glassdoor offers a good work life balance(in 86 reviews)

• "Great people, Good pay, Great place to learn(in 49 reviews)

Cons
  • "While there is a tremendous amount of opportunity, there are also quite a few growing pains(in 47 reviews)

• "Commute can be lengthy since the Mill Valley office is in North Bay(in 23 reviews)

Reviews about "great people"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - SMB Sales Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Glassdoor full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people, Good pay, Great place to learn.

Cons

The product lacked innovation compared to competitors.

2. "True to our values"

Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time for more than a year

Pros

One of the things I like most about working at Glassdoor is our recent renewed focus on our values and that we live them everyday. I see examples of transparency, innovation, and grit all the time and of course, I work with a group of not just good, but great people.

Cons

I’m encouraged that Glassdoor has made commitments to improve diversity and inclusion because I feel that we could do so much more.

"Just A Number"

2.0
    Current Employee - Sales in London, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time for more than a year

Pros

Unlimited Holiday Flexible Working Lots of Great People Great Product Line

Cons

Lack of transparency when it comes to future planning. Most of us feel like just a number during this transition period and we're doing a lot of hard work for no reward. Lots of change recently and more to come but when it comes to communicating the change it's been horrific. A change is announced then that change changes and then changes again. During some recent changes some of us told SLT here are some problems that we'll face and they were ignored and now the problems are at our door and they're now trying to correct them. All we ask is to be heard and to also know the UK is different to the US. With the new structure the pay and commission is not aligned within teams and it's all but been swept to the side. In many cases we aren't rewarded on all of the work we do and it just gets passed off to someone else to benefit from with the explanation that that's the rules sorry about no exceptions.

Continue reading

"Not sure how they will last"

No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Glassdoor full-time

Pros

Great people who really care Nice offices, lots of swag and free food 100% paid benefits Good work life balance Solid, state of the art technologies My team was incredible, some of the best people I've met

Cons

You can't say you are pushing transparency when there were months of reassurances that jobs would be safe - all to have a 30 minute warning that there would be a mass layoff. While this is 1 occurrence, it's a big one because it points to an issue with senior leadership and how they trust and communicate to employees. It's no secret that Glassdoor has been struggling to maintain competitiveness. Go ahead, read reviews from the past fews years. The product has evolved minimally and there haven't been actual new, revenue producing products built. It's clear that right now, Glassdoor's current products only matter in a bullish market. In a bear market, it's the first to go. Even as an employee, this was my #1 concern for the company, and I'm unsure how they will last. Before joining Glassdoor, I'd wait a little bit to see how things pan out..,

5. COVID-19

"Great Culture. Great People."

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time for more than a year

Pros

(This review reflects my PRE-COVID experience). Glassdoor hires well and they take their culture very seriously. Due to that fact, I have gained numerous meaningful friendships and mentorships with my coworkers. The culture is relaxed, yet highly efficient, and work-life balance is a very integral part of our culture here. There are many days where I'll leave at 5 PM and I will be one of the last few people in the office. We have relaxed hours, flexible PTO, and many people opt to WFH at least 2 days a week. Working here has been a dream! Free lunch 5x a week. A beautiful office. Great people. Meaningful work. What more could I ask for?

Cons

As of recently, things have been understandably difficult. We have had to lay off 30% of our workforce. This situation has NOT been ideal, but I'm hopeful that we will regain some sense of normalcy when this is over. Unfortunately, I also think that we've lost so many long-term employees that things will never quite be the same.

May 22, 2020CEO

It’s great to hear that Glassdoor’s culture and people have made working at Glassdoor meaningful for you. While we have certainly experienced a great number of changes, I am confident that Glassdoor is needed now more than ever and these changes will put us in a strong position to achieve our company goals. Thank you! I’m grateful for your commitment to our mission and to our future. Christian CEO, Glassdoor

"Worrying future"

2.0

I worked at Glassdoor full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-Great Benefits -Great People -Your reporting manager was often a fantastic person. -Awesome Offices

Cons

When I started at Glassdoor they were very much a company that wore their values on their sleeves. Heck I would say till this day they still do that to a degree. However, the reason it felt they followed their morals was due to how the company would always have us heavily involved in important topics like company direction. So, whenever something negative happened or we had to make a tough call it felt justifiable and relatable. However, Glassdoor was acquired part way though my tenure. I have seen this before and how it can completely change a company and of course feared the worse. However, they said much would not change and little did to their credit. Well that was till 2020 hit us… The company stopped talking to us directly and even our managers and continuously made decisions at what felt like a drop of a hat. We often see meetings put on our calendar that were not planned to randomly announce some sort of company wide change. Our mangers would often be aghast as they were cut off from the loop of information as well. Some of these changes removed large benefits, complete reconstructing of our teams and products, and leaning on outside resourcing vs using internal resources. Honestly, things you expect almost like a trope after a company has been an acquired. They also recently laid off a bunch of people with a same day of notice. As a company that is fueled by fantastic people and (was?) is a great company culture you made a decision that prevented us from giving proper goodbyes. This is not something that would have ever happened if it were a year or two ago. Glassdoor is slowly losing what made it unique and I imagine you wait a year or two before joining. I am sure there will be even bigger changes they make down the road that will completely change the shape of the company. Who knows maybe it will be a good company to work for still but I doubt the “people” aspect will ever be the same.

May 14, 2020CEO

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. 2020 has certainly been a year of great change, both for Glassdoor and for the world as we navigate a global pandemic and economic crisis. Throughout these unprecedented times, please know it has been our intention to be transparent every step of the way. I really do mean this. We aimed to communicate regularly and transparently through this unprecedented mandatory work from home period, in addition to our regular cadence of All Hands meetings and other email/Slack updates. I can understand that this feels sudden. However, COVID-19 has had a considerable and swift impact on our business, one we could not have foreseen. I shared in our March All Hands that we were seeing this in several key business health indicators and sadly this impact on our business continued. Unfortunately, we had to take quick and decisive action. That said, I want you to know that I hear your feedback that you feel we could have done better communicating. I own this, and will seek to learn from this. Thank you again for your feedback. Your contributions to Glassdoor are truly appreciated. Christian CEO, Glassdoor

7. COVID-19

"An amazing company that set the bar high"

Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Glassdoor full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people, autonomy, opportunities to promotion, and an amazing culture. Coming to work never felt like a drag here, it was a place where filled with individuals with true GRIT. It was not odd to make lifelong friends here, many of us did. Unlimited PTO. Great health benefits.

Cons

Pay could be better for entry levels. With that being said, being laid off due to COVID19 Glassdoor did the right thing by making sure their workers were taken care of one last time before parting ways. Thank you GD, I’ll miss you so much.

May 14, 2020CEO

I am humbled and grateful to hear that your experience at Glassdoor was a positive one, both professionally and personally and I hope your relationships with your Glassdoor colleagues continue on. I hope you’ll stay connected through the Glassdoor Alumni group and through the connections you’ve made here. We all want to help amazing colleagues like you. I also want to convey my deepest gratitude to you for your contribution to Glassdoor. It deeply saddens me to say goodbye to talented individuals like yourself for reasons outside of your control. Please know this isn’t your fault. You have made a lasting impact on Glassdoor and I hope you take pride in all you accomplished. Please reach out if there's anything we can do to support you in the next steps in your career. Christian CEO, Glassdoor

8. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Senior Tax Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Glassdoor full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great benefits including unlimited PTO. Great people! Great opportunity to expand your resume

Cons

Long days, no room for error

9. "Great place to call home"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Mill Valley, CA

I worked at Glassdoor for less than a year

Pros

Great people company wide. Everyone’s willing to help you at any moment and very supportive. Free lunch daily at select locations

Cons

Nothing bad to note, great place to work!

"Great four years, but left disappointed."

Former Employee - Director

I worked at Glassdoor full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Overall, I had a very positive experience at Glassdoor. Nine months ago, I would have rated the company 4 stars. Here's the top of my "pros" list. 1. People - My direct team was composed of professionals who are expert at their jobs, have fun with their work, and are genuinely great people. This extends to the Enterprise Sales and Customer Success teams as a whole. These are the groups I worked most closely with, and it's a talented team overall. 2. Creativity - My leaders gave me a ton of trust to create new opportunities for the company. They trusted me to innovate our approach, and get the job done to grow the company. I believe I delivered by qualifying for 3 President's Clubs in 4 years. I'm very thankful for the trust in me, and hope that I've passed this spirit on to my team. 3. Knowledge - I grew my skills substantially during my tenure at Glassdoor. I was put in several situations where I had to "figure things out" in order to drive growth. I had to push the envelope regularly, which grew my knowledge-base over my 4 year tenure. These attributes will stay with me as my career moves forward, and I'm thankful for that.

Cons

The company has changed dramatically from when I joined 4 years ago. It was a disappointing end for me, given the highs my team achieved during my tenure. Dramatic change is to be expected when you're in growth mode, and especially after an acquisition. However, the top "cons" listed here are why I dropped my rating to 3 stars. They definitely played a role in my departure from the company. 1. Senior Leadership - The "feel" is dissipating. Everything is "rationalized" through spreadsheets, and decisions are made via endless hours in conference rooms. Many key departments are run by an MBA who doesn't have prior experience leading in said capacity. This has created a lack of first-hand customer knowledge, and is causing a diminished connection with team members who interface with customers and prospects every day. 2. Cross-Functional Partners - Team members in other departments are willing to help, but the company is separated into silos. Each department has their own OKRs, and few of those correlate with overall customer success. As a result, time spent selling for reps is greatly reduced. Reps routinely spend hours, and even days, waiting on cross-functional support. Most reps end up just doing things themselves to deliver to customers on-time. 3. Lack of Innovation - This may be number 3 on my list, but was probably my biggest issue. The company continues to push high growth targets...but isn't producing new, monetizable products to drive that. The market is changing dramatically, and the company is falling behind. Even if the revenue numbers look good at an aggregate level, there are significant risks to the business that will manifest themselves over the next 12-24 months if true innovation isn't realized.`

May 6, 2019VP Sales, Enterprise

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and thank you for your contributions to Glassdoor over the past four years. It’s great to hear that Glassdoor’s people, the opportunity to grow in knowledge, and the ability to bring creativity to your work contributed to an overall very positive experience at Glassdoor. I share the belief that we have an amazing team that not only can execute and get the job done, but also are great to work with. Thank you for being a part of the team. I also want to take the time to address some of the concerns that you raised. There is no question that Glassdoor has changed over the last few years. This is to be expected of a company growing as quickly as Glassdoor. Change can be exciting and uncomfortable at the same time. In order to attain the ambitious goals and targets we set, we must be strategic and endeavor to make our processes even more scalable. With this growth and increased strategy, I understand that it may seem as though that the focus on “feeling” is being lost to increased measurement and formalized processes, but it’s our belief that being more strategic will lead to greater results for our teams and ensure that we can scale the success we’ve seen over the past few years. I see "feel" and strategic thinking as both important and playing a role in our team's work. It is important for reps to feel supported by cross-functional partners. This is an area we’re continuing to refine and focus on and believe we’ve made significant progress on. Additionally, as a leadership team I can assure you that we continue to advocate to product of our needs and we are excited about what’s coming down the pipeline. We will also continue to advocate for product innovation in the future. Thank you again for sharing your thoughts and we wish you the best in your future endeavors.-Matt, VP Sales, Enterprise

Found 49 reviews