Glassdoor Employee Reviews about "great people"

Updated Oct 4, 2020

Found 51 of over 842 reviews

3.9
Glassdoor CEO Christian Sutherland-Wong
Christian Sutherland-Wong
Pros
  • "There is a lot of respect for your personal time and I think in general Glassdoor offers a good work life balance(in 91 reviews)

• "Great people - i know cliche - but love the tech pool and challenges we solve everyday(in 52 reviews)

• Cons
  • "I think Glassdoor is still experiencing growing pains in where we want to establish ourselves in the market(in 47 reviews)

• "Commute can be lengthy since the Mill Valley office is in North Bay(in 23 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "great people"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 4.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Great people, Good WLB, Okay D&I, Okay Leadership

Oct 4, 2020 - Sales Development Representative in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Amazing culture, great people, great values, strong mission.

Cons

Below average compensation, lack of D&I, okay senior leadership.

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

My job is to help others find a job they love!

Sep 16, 2020 - Senior Software Engineering Manager in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

* Great people - i know cliche - but love the tech pool and challenges we solve everyday * Right level of empowerment and accountability! * Great values and benefits!

Cons

If I have to nitpick - would say as orgs have grown, it has created a bit of silos across B2B and B2C orgs.

3. Ask Employees™

Glassdoor encourages employees to be innovative

Polled: Aug 2021Responses: 184 ResponsesResponses: 184Audience: All employees
      Agree 91 (49%)
      Featured Employee Response

Glassdoor has a culture that empowers every employee to be an owner of their work domain. This means that everyone is encouraged, supported, and expected to develop a perspective on what problems and solutions are most important, and proposing paths forward.

4. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Stay away from Glassdoor marketing

Aug 20, 2020 - Marketing in Mill Valley, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

People are awesome. Sadly many great people have left or are planning to. Life-work balance isn’t too bad but it goes in cycles.

Cons

Leadership has no clue what they are doing. The strategy shift became a weekly norm. Part of it was influenced by COVID-19 and our partnership with Indeed but it’s also because marketing leaders have no clue how marketing should operate. There’s a clear lack of experience and vision. People are hugely disappointed. We are incredibly good at designing internal presentations. More time is spent promoting oneself among your peers than thinking how marketing could contribute to the business. If that’s your career goal -- spend hours on building internal presentations -- come work for Glassdoor marketing team.

16 people found this review helpful
    5. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great place to work

Jul 20, 2020 - SMB Sales Manager in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great people, Good pay, Great place to learn.

Cons

The product lacked innovation compared to competitors.

6. 4.0

True to our values

Jul 15, 2020 - Business Systems Analyst
      Business Outlook

Pros

One of the things I like most about working at Glassdoor is our recent renewed focus on our values and that we live them everyday. I see examples of transparency, innovation, and grit all the time and of course, I work with a group of not just good, but great people.

Cons

I’m encouraged that Glassdoor has made commitments to improve diversity and inclusion because I feel that we could do so much more.

Glassdoor Response

Thanks for your review, and for your kind words about working at Glassdoor. We’re appreciative for your contributions toward furthering our mission, and being a phenomenal representation of our values. We’re thrilled to hear you’ve been surrounded by so many Good People during your time here. We echo your excitement about our greater emphasis on improving D&I initiatives at Glassdoor. We hope you consider jumping into one of our ERG's to be a part of the exciting work they are doing together every day!

7. 2.0

Just A Number

Jul 17, 2020 - Sales in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Unlimited Holiday Flexible Working Lots of Great People Great Product Line

Cons

Lack of transparency when it comes to future planning. Most of us feel like just a number during this transition period and we're doing a lot of hard work for no reward. Lots of change recently and more to come but when it comes to communicating the change it's been horrific. A change is announced then that change changes and then changes again. During some recent changes some of us told SLT here are some problems that we'll face and they were ignored and now the problems are at our door and they're now trying to correct them. All we ask is to be heard and to also know the UK is different to the US. With the new structure the pay and commission is not aligned within teams and it's all but been swept to the side. In many cases we aren't rewarded on all of the work we do and it just gets passed off to someone else to benefit from with the explanation that that's the rules sorry about no exceptions.

8 people found this review helpful
    8. 3.0
      Former Employee

Not sure how they will last

Jun 3, 2020 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great people who really care Nice offices, lots of swag and free food 100% paid benefits Good work life balance Solid, state of the art technologies My team was incredible, some of the best people I've met

Cons

You can't say you are pushing transparency when there were months of reassurances that jobs would be safe - all to have a 30 minute warning that there would be a mass layoff. While this is 1 occurrence, it's a big one because it points to an issue with senior leadership and how they trust and communicate to employees. It's no secret that Glassdoor has been struggling to maintain competitiveness. Go ahead, read reviews from the past fews years. The product has evolved minimally and there haven't been actual new, revenue producing products built. It's clear that right now, Glassdoor's current products only matter in a bullish market. In a bear market, it's the first to go. Even as an employee, this was my #1 concern for the company, and I'm unsure how they will last. Before joining Glassdoor, I'd wait a little bit to see how things pan out..,

8 people found this review helpful

CEO

It’s great to hear that you your team and the people of Glassdoor left such a positive impression on you. I 100% agree. The people at Glassdoor are truly exceptional. COVID-19 took a significant toll on the world and on our business. I cannot tell you how sad it is to say goodbye to such awesome people. While we had shared in our monthly All Hands that we’d seen this crisis have a considerable impact on our company, I hear your feedback that you felt surprised by this decision. In regards to building new products and innovating, you're right this has been an area that was not as much of a focus as it should've been. That said, I'm very excited about where we're headed and the products we are working towards delivering. I hope you will stay in touch with the people that made your time at Glassdoor special and please do not hesitate to reach out. We’re here to support you and we wish you the best. Christian CEO, Glassdoor

9. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Worrying future

May 8, 2020 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Great Benefits -Great People -Your reporting manager was often a fantastic person. -Awesome Offices

Cons

When I started at Glassdoor they were very much a company that wore their values on their sleeves. Heck I would say till this day they still do that to a degree. However, the reason it felt they followed their morals was due to how the company would always have us heavily involved in important topics like company direction. So, whenever something negative happened or we had to make a tough call it felt justifiable and relatable. However, Glassdoor was acquired part way though my tenure. I have seen this before and how it can completely change a company and of course feared the worse. However, they said much would not change and little did to their credit. Well that was till 2020 hit us… The company stopped talking to us directly and even our managers and continuously made decisions at what felt like a drop of a hat. We often see meetings put on our calendar that were not planned to randomly announce some sort of company wide change. Our mangers would often be aghast as they were cut off from the loop of information as well. Some of these changes removed large benefits, complete reconstructing of our teams and products, and leaning on outside resourcing vs using internal resources. Honestly, things you expect almost like a trope after a company has been an acquired. They also recently laid off a bunch of people with a same day of notice. As a company that is fueled by fantastic people and (was?) is a great company culture you made a decision that prevented us from giving proper goodbyes. This is not something that would have ever happened if it were a year or two ago. Glassdoor is slowly losing what made it unique and I imagine you wait a year or two before joining. I am sure there will be even bigger changes they make down the road that will completely change the shape of the company. Who knows maybe it will be a good company to work for still but I doubt the “people” aspect will ever be the same.

19 people found this review helpful

CEO

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. 2020 has certainly been a year of great change, both for Glassdoor and for the world as we navigate a global pandemic and economic crisis. Throughout these unprecedented times, please know it has been our intention to be transparent every step of the way. I really do mean this. We aimed to communicate regularly and transparently through this unprecedented mandatory work from home period, in addition to our regular cadence of All Hands meetings and other email/Slack updates. I can understand that this feels sudden. However, COVID-19 has had a considerable and swift impact on our business, one we could not have foreseen. I shared in our March All Hands that we were seeing this in several key business health indicators and sadly this impact on our business continued. Unfortunately, we had to take quick and decisive action. That said, I want you to know that I hear your feedback that you feel we could have done better communicating. I own this, and will seek to learn from this. Thank you again for your feedback. Your contributions to Glassdoor are truly appreciated. Christian CEO, Glassdoor

10. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great Culture. Great People.

May 18, 2020 - Executive Assistant in Mill Valley, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

(This review reflects my PRE-COVID experience). Glassdoor hires well and they take their culture very seriously. Due to that fact, I have gained numerous meaningful friendships and mentorships with my coworkers. The culture is relaxed, yet highly efficient, and work-life balance is a very integral part of our culture here. There are many days where I'll leave at 5 PM and I will be one of the last few people in the office. We have relaxed hours, flexible PTO, and many people opt to WFH at least 2 days a week. Working here has been a dream! Free lunch 5x a week. A beautiful office. Great people. Meaningful work. What more could I ask for?

Cons

As of recently, things have been understandably difficult. We have had to lay off 30% of our workforce. This situation has NOT been ideal, but I'm hopeful that we will regain some sense of normalcy when this is over. Unfortunately, I also think that we've lost so many long-term employees that things will never quite be the same.

CEO

It’s great to hear that Glassdoor’s culture and people have made working at Glassdoor meaningful for you. While we have certainly experienced a great number of changes, I am confident that Glassdoor is needed now more than ever and these changes will put us in a strong position to achieve our company goals. Thank you! I’m grateful for your commitment to our mission and to our future. Christian CEO, Glassdoor

11. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

An amazing company that set the bar high

May 10, 2020 - Sales
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great people, autonomy, opportunities to promotion, and an amazing culture. Coming to work never felt like a drag here, it was a place where filled with individuals with true GRIT. It was not odd to make lifelong friends here, many of us did. Unlimited PTO. Great health benefits.

Cons

Pay could be better for entry levels. With that being said, being laid off due to COVID19 Glassdoor did the right thing by making sure their workers were taken care of one last time before parting ways. Thank you GD, I’ll miss you so much.

1 person found this review helpful

CEO

I am humbled and grateful to hear that your experience at Glassdoor was a positive one, both professionally and personally and I hope your relationships with your Glassdoor colleagues continue on. I hope you’ll stay connected through the Glassdoor Alumni group and through the connections you’ve made here. We all want to help amazing colleagues like you. I also want to convey my deepest gratitude to you for your contribution to Glassdoor. It deeply saddens me to say goodbye to talented individuals like yourself for reasons outside of your control. Please know this isn’t your fault. You have made a lasting impact on Glassdoor and I hope you take pride in all you accomplished. Please reach out if there's anything we can do to support you in the next steps in your career. Christian CEO, Glassdoor

Viewing 1 - 10 of 51 Reviews