Glassdoor Employee Reviews about "growing pains"

Updated 21 May 2020

Found 46 of over 801 reviews

3.8
Glassdoor CEO Christian Sutherland-Wong
Christian Sutherland-Wong
Pros
  • "There is a lot of respect for your personal time and I think in general Glassdoor offers a good work life balance(in 91 reviews)

• "Great people - i know cliche - but love the tech pool and challenges we solve everyday(in 52 reviews)

• Cons
  • "I think Glassdoor is still experiencing growing pains in where we want to establish ourselves in the market(in 47 reviews)

• "Commute can be lengthy since the Mill Valley office is in North Bay(in 23 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "growing pains"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0

Great place to work!

2 Mar 2020 - Anonymous Employee in Mill Valley, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Glassdoor is the best place I have worked so far. It is one of those "good for the soul", "must have this work experience sometime in my life" types of places. Outside of the opportunity for growth and impact, these are a few of my favorite things: People: Every day I get to work alongside incredibly smart, mission-driven individuals who have low/no ego. It is such a refreshing experience, especially in Bay Area tech. Mission: There are few things as impactful as helping someone find a job and company they love. There is a lot of dignity associated with work and being able to help someone on their journey is incredibly rewarding. Product: Glassdoor disrupted the market. It is exhilarating being part of a company that continues to redefine the workplace and who gets access to what information. I enjoy helping level the playing field.

Cons

We recently stepped into a scaling phase. While there is a tremendous amount of opportunity, there are also quite a few growing pains. We are at an inflection point where we need to mature our organization and operations to rapidly scale. We are on our way but it's not always easy. The people that tend to be the most successful at Glassdoor during this phase are curious, adaptable and work well with ambiguity.

Glassdoor Response

Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. We love that your time at Glassdoor has been “good for the soul” and a high point in your career. We agree –– few things are more impactful and rewarding than helping others find a job and company they love! Just like any other company that strives to be agile and responsive to users, we will always be evolving the way we do things at Glassdoor. Betting equipping our managers and People Team leaders to help employees with change management is one of our top priorities, and we’ll soon be rolling out a redesigned manager training program that helps our leaders better support their teams through changes.

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Everything I hoped for + more

3 Mar 2020 - Anonymous Employee in Mill Valley, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Glassdoor continues to prove to be the best company I've been part of. I joined because of the people, the values, and the mission. Since joining, I have experienced incredible leadership, career development, and built great relationships. We practice what we preach and I've seen continued transparency from our senior leadership and beyond.

Cons

As a large tech company in the recruitment space, it's vital we continue to innovate our product and what we offer the job seeker and companies we partner with. We have transparent leaders who are guiding us through this scaling phase thoughtfully, but there will always be growing pains and areas for improvement.

Glassdoor Response

Thank you for sharing your experience. As we evolve we strive to continue operating in a transparent way. We hear your feedback about the importance of continuing to innovate in the product space to add value to our customers. Please continue to lean in as you have been, and again, thank you for sharing! GD Leadership Team

3. Employee Polls

I see potential to advance in my career at Glassdoor

Polled: Jun 2021Responses: 191 ResponsesResponses: 191Audience: All employees
      Agree 80 (100%)
      Featured Employee Response

I've always been given a choice to learn as much as I can/want. This has provided me the opportunity to go towards multiple different engineering career paths. I've been actively working with both my direct supervisor, as well as the level up from them to decide the best path for me.

4. 5.0

Love Glassdoor!

21 May 2020 - SDR
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Amazing people -Amazing work life balance

Cons

- Company has growing pains they are working out

2 people found this review helpful
    5. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Found a job and company I love

28 Oct 2019 - Anonymous Employee in Mill Valley, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Learning opportunities: I feel tremendously lucky to be in a job where I learn something new everyday and where my team encourages me to experiment, learn and develop. I was also able to switch teams internally and I'm very thankful to my managers for giving me the opportunity. - Mission: I joined Glassdoor because I believe in the mission and it's kept me motivated to tough it out during rough patches at work. Almost every employee can recite the company mission word-for-word and it feels so great to hear positive stories from users who've been helped by our work. - Manager/leadership: My manager is great, constantly gives me good feedback and advocates for us constantly. I have a lot of confidence in my department leadership; I feel like they really take our feedback to heart. - People & culture: The people are great and the culture is very welcoming and friendly. I really enjoy working with my team and have a lot of respect for the teammates, mentors and leaders I've met here. - Work/life balance: My manager & team leaders very actively promote flexibility, making sure we can WFH when needed or that we aren't checking email when on vacation (unlimited PTO too!).

Cons

- Small company with growing pains: We're working on getting processes and operations in place to scale, but there are definitely growing pains—priority pivots, under-resourcing, immature formal mentorship/training, etc. - Technical growing pains: There's also growing pains on the technical side. Data accessibility is a constant issue—#1 day-to-day frustration for me. - Post-acquisition plan: I think we're still finding our footing. There's been a fair amount of turnover as we reorient towards the next big milestone. - Experience varies by team: While some teams are doing great, others are struggling. It can be slow to rectify under-resourcing because of budget, management, etc.

7 people found this review helpful
    6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great fun, very rewarding! - Be prepared to WORK HARD though!

26 Apr 2019 - Account Manager in Dublin, Dublin
      Business Outlook

Pros

- There is great energy in the office every day, I never dread coming into work - Great support from everyone, from teammates right the way up to senior leadership - Exciting international growth! - Career progression is a genuine possibility - Management want to understand how you work, and adapt to that - Plenty of autonomy, if you find a way that works better, run with it (and share it :))

Cons

- Some growing pains, which is to be expected. If you don't like change, this is definitely not for you - Sometimes the work-life balance isn't the best. As I mentioned in the title of the review, "be prepared to WORK HARD". That said, you are rewarded greatly for your effort! - Slightly stricter controls/kpi's being put in place as we grow and expand in EMEA

6 people found this review helpful
    7. 5.0

Sales Manager

21 Nov 2019 - Sales Manager in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

The people here are incredible. Amazing office culture, great company mission and vision. Tons of opportunity to learn and grow your career

Cons

Growing fast. Growing pains come with that.

2 people found this review helpful
    8. 5.0

Great place to work

6 Nov 2019 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great company, takes care of their people. Gives us the tools we need to succeed.

Cons

Company is growing and are experiencing typical growing pains

9. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Solid company to work for

10 Jan 2019 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

I thoroughly enjoy my position at Glassdoor. The company is constantly making a deliberate effort to improve their processes and value proposition for their employees. For example, last year's pay increases across the board to right-size salaries after the company's purchase was an example of the company's heart being in the right direction.

Cons

There are growing pains as the company continues to evolve. These involve things like processes and comp plans (specific to sales). Also there is a thirst for new product development that is being addressed, albeit slower than the long-time employees (and customers?) would like to see.

1 person found this review helpful
    10. 5.0

A Breath of Fresh Air

6 Jul 2016 - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

There's so many good things that Glassdoor is doing right now to keep true to company culture while continuing to expand and grow. 1. Work/life balance is amazing. 2. The growing team in Chicago has hit the ground running and is working tirelessly to make Chicago the next big staple for Glassdoor and it's very fun to be apart of that. 3. Management here really cares about you and your career growth here. 4. Lots of free food and snacks. 5. Working for a company where people truly believe and value the what they're selling makes so much difference. There's so much passion for Glassdoor and that really shows across the board.

Cons

There aren't too many true cons I can think of right now. Everything I would consider a con would fall under the "growing pains" category. Expect there to be a learning curve with the job and a learning curve with the whole Chicago operation, it only started in January 2016. We can't have dogs in the office would be the only true con I can think of.

23 people found this review helpful

Sr. Account Manager, Chicago Office Lead

Thank you so much for this incredible review! As someone who has been with Glassdoor through thick and thin--and across the country--I could not agree more. We are at a point as a company where our rapid growth is impacting us in positive ways. Like any company of our size & stage, we are working through growing pains that leadership in Chicago (and throughout our four other offices) are consistently working to address. When we as employees offer our feedback, it helps provide transparency to our leadership on where we’re getting it right but also where we can course correct. As for the no dog policy, we are a bit limited by policies in our current building, but we are doing our best to not forget our four-legged friends--just check out our new Pet Wall! Our culture across the company, but especially out here in Chicago, is hands-down the strongest of any workplace I've seen and we truly value everyone who works here. We are continuing some long-held Glassdoor traditions, as well as the Buddy Program, so that our new hire classes feel at home and ready starting on Day 1. Glassdoor Chicago is not only here to stay, it’s here to make powerful difference. Glad to have you as part of the team!

11. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great People, Great Product & Great Future

3 Sep 2018 - Sales Manager in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

I joined Glassdoor 2 months ago and have no regrets at all. My new colleagues have all been very welcoming, supportive and clearly know what they are doing. Not just from my own office, but this includes people throughout the organisation - from the ones I met during the onboarding process in Chicago to my colleagues based in Dublin. Being in sales, the product itself is fundamental to the pride I feel at work and whether I see a career in an organisation or not. Since joining Glassdoor I have met multiple clients from a variety of industries and the huge majority have been extremely happy with the product and service delivered. For me, this is so important and fills me with confidence in the decision I made to leave my last company and join Glassdoor. I've personally experienced working for a company during its hyper-growth stage and loved it. My job now allows me to be part of a similar journey at Glassdoor, which is so exciting. It is truly a great time to be at Glassdoor!

Cons

Obviously, when a company is growing at such a pace then you will have growing pains and certain challenges. But to be honest that is what excited me about joining Glassdoor and what keeps my job interesting. Each day brings new challenges, but if your head is in the right place and you are prepared to work hard, then the satisfaction of genuinely contributing to the success of a business outweighs any negatives.

3 people found this review helpful