Glassdoor Employee Reviews about "mill valley"

Updated 12 May 2020

3.8
Glassdoor CEO Christian Sutherland-Wong
Christian Sutherland-Wong
Pros
  • "There is a lot of respect for your personal time and I think in general Glassdoor offers a good work life balance(in 86 reviews)

• "Great people, Good pay, Great place to learn(in 49 reviews)

Cons
  • "While there is a tremendous amount of opportunity, there are also quite a few growing pains(in 47 reviews)

• "Commute can be lengthy since the Mill Valley office is in North Bay(in 23 reviews)

Reviews about "mill valley"

Return to all Reviews
  1. COVID-19

"Lost Sight of Company Values"

2.0
    Former Employee - Customer Success in Mill Valley, CA

I worked at Glassdoor full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people. My team was amazing and everyone was so hard working and easy to work with. My manager was always positive and provided ample guidance and learning opportunities.

Cons

Lost sight of the company’s core value, transparency. Pretty ironic for a company that stresses other companies be transparent. When I first started at Glassdoor in the summer of 2019, I took the job mainly because it was so close to my home in Marin. The idea of a 15 minute commute in the Bay Area was a dream come true. About a month later after I joined, we were told we were moving to a new office in San Francisco in the fall of 2020. It felt like a bait and switch. This was never mentioned in any of the multiple interviews for the job but at least I’ll be close to home for some time before the move. We were told they would maintain the Mill Valley office for Marin residents for some time before the lease ended on the building, so I was relieved. But a contact in the Workplace Experience team said that the Mill Valley office was going to accommodate management and executives, not all Mill Valley residents. Thus begins the journey into lack of transparency. Shortly into 2020, many of us were told we were being re-classified as hourly employees and our unlimited PTO was abruptly taken from us. There was an hour long meeting where this was positioned as a legal move that was actually in our best interest. But we all saw through that. Those who took very little time off and were planning a big trip or honeymoon were just left in the lurch. After some bad reviews, a few people leaving the company, and some harsh (but warranted feedback), our PTO was reinstated around March. This eventually did not matter at all as 300 people were laid off in the weeks following. When COVID-19 became a threat to the market and industry, we were told from the onset that we had enough capital to avoid layoffs, that other companies were downsizing. But not us. Throughout February, March, and April we were told our jobs are safe. Even at our sales kick off event, they brought in our chief economist to tell us that we are “weathering the storm” and are positioned to avoid layoffs. This was in mid-April. Fast forward to May 7th where we find an all hands meeting on our calendars with zero notice. In that meeting we were told 300 people, about 30% of the workforce, was being laid off. It was shocking and completely out of left field after what we had been told for months. The icing on the cake was the follow up meeting where we could not ask any questions where our VP said a bunch of corporate speak. There was no exit interview, nothing. Just booted to the curb. Layoffs like this are not just split second decisions, this had to have been considered for some time. So we were lied to and given the false hope, likely for weeks or months, that our jobs were safe. People who have been with the company for years, top performers, and just all around hard working, honest people just lost their jobs in the blink of an eye. Our CEO. He brags about company culture and the important work we’re doing when things were going well. But in moments of crisis or when asked difficult questions, he can’t speak with any sort of confidence. It was pretty easy to tell when we were not being told the full truth. Again, layoffs don’t just get decided without any sort of planning. So he kept telling us that our work is more important than ever all the while steps are being taken to cut the work force behind closed doors.

May 28, 2020VP, Customer Success

Dear CS Alum Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. Regarding our move from Mill Valley to San Francisco, I can see how this would have been disappointing news for you given the desire to work close to home. I don’t know if your recruiter was specifically aware of the move during your interviews - in any event I’m sorry this was not made clear in that process. I’m not sure how other teams are allocating desks in Mill Valley following the move, but in CS, I plan on implementing “hot-desking”. This would be available to everyone, regardless of level or tenure, so seating will not be restricted just to Managers / Leaders. I understand your concerns in relation to the transition of CS roles to non-exempt. There was no motive behind this change other than ensuring that we meet our legal obligations as a company. Like you, others have also shared the feedback that these changes were not communicated well and I take responsibility for that. I’m glad that we were able to work with HR to establish open-PTO for all non-exempt employees at Glassdoor and address a key underlying concern with these changes. Lastly, I am sorry that the recent layoffs due to COVID-19 caught you by surprise - you’re not alone in that feeling. As a leadership team, reducing headcount in the business was the last thing we wanted to do and we were hopeful that this would not be required - perhaps this influenced the tone or clarity or our communication on business performance. Whatever the reason, I believe I speak for the broader leadership group in saying that we would not have wanted you to have felt caught off-guard in this way and we hear your feedback that we could’ve been clearer. I can imagine it would have been really difficult not having the opportunity to ask questions at the initial announcement, but I hope you had the chance to address all your questions in the follow up meeting with HR. If you still have unanswered questions, please reach out to our HR Team or contact me directly. Thank you for being part of Glassdoor CS. I do wish you all the best for the future. Chris, VP Customer Success

2. "Great company with a focus on its mission and company culture"

Current Intern - Marketing Events in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor for less than a year

Pros

Everyone is really friendly, approachable, and always willing to help. I can ask anyone on any team a question and they always answer to the best of their ability or redirect me to someone who can help better. Flexible work hours and free lunch every day. Plenty of dogs too!

Cons

Commute can be lengthy since the Mill Valley office is in North Bay

Continue reading

"Admin Coordinator for Finance at Glassdoor"

Current Employee - Administrative Coordinator in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great People, Flexible Schedule, Sweet Perks, Great View, Dog Friendly

Cons

Mill Valley office is a bit far and traffic can be terrible

"Glassdoor takes cares of its employees and their families!"

Current Employee - Senior Mid-Market SDR in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time for more than a year

Pros

This review is long overdue. Since I started with the company, I have felt a strong connection to our values and a deep desire to grow with Glassdoor. Local leadership is approachable and always willing to hear our ideas (and float them upwards when they are good ones!) Growth is possible as long as you continue to put in hard work month after month. Quota is challenging, but achievable, which is the whole point of having a sales quota. The benefits for working parents are abundant: GREAT maternity leave, with 100% coverage AND commission compensation (this is unheard of!); flexibility with working from home when needed, and a culture of great people who love your children and embrace them as part of the Glassdoor family. The people who work at Glassdoor truly make our company as wonderful as it is. I am excited to come to work and see friends everyday. Glassdoor has some of the best talent in the workforce and it shows. There are TOO many people here to learn from! I haven't even considered any outside opportunities since I have been here because Glassdoor is a company that truly cares about you and your family. THAT, for me, is why I remain loyal to this company and I am looking forward to growing my career here.

Cons

At times, it can feel like SDRs are not as important or valuable to the company. Recently, however, leadership has been giving our SDR team shoutouts and if we continue to do that, it will add to the value we bring to the company. SDRs are usually the first voice or outreach to many companies, so investing in more training can improve sales and ROI over time. Sometimes it can be challenging working directly with teams in Mill Valley as a lot of communication is improved via proximity. We are, however, given plenty of tools to help improve this challenge.

March 28, 2019Senior Vice President, WW Sales

It's great to hear your perspective, thanks for taking the time to leave this review. SDRs are a critical part of our go-to-market operations. We quite literally couldn't survive without you. I agree that our benefits are great and Glassdoor is a wonderful place to be a parent. I'll work on continuining to recognize the hard work of this team. SDRs are the future stars of our sales team and should be valued as such. Thanks again for the feedback. - Kate, SVP Sales

"Mission-Driven, Impactful & Fun"

Former Employee - Senior Customer Success Manager in Mill Valley, CA

I worked at Glassdoor full-time for more than a year

Pros

While I hate to start this off by mimicking the other reviews, the truth is that by far the greatest aspect of working at Glassdoor is the people. Though I worked on the Customer Success team, I became close with members across several other departments, and there really is a sense that everyone is in it together. The mission of the company to help job seekers find the job that fits their life and to help employers tell their story and hire great talent is central to everything the company does. Yes, there are times when things can be a bit out of sync between departments, the overall vibe is that you're in it together. I think it goes without saying that the shining light for over a year now has been the VP of Customer Success. I joined Glassdoor's CS team at a time when people were leaving left and right, there was no path for anyone to grow, and you weren't really sure what your priorities and function were. Chris came in and turned the whole org (and frankly the company) on its head and has made everything significantly better. I left a review about a year ago stating that he had stated a goal of making Customer Success THE department that people want to work in; and while I was extremely skeptical of that stretch goal (given the history of the department in the year leading up to then), I am extremely happy to say that I believe he has achieved that goal. In the CS department, I really felt that he cared about the team's successful, as well as my own personal success. My managers supported and empowered me, and the position of CS within the company became one where CSMs were respected for the work they did and looked up to as experts in a number of areas. Additionally, he addressed a major pain point by elevating salaries to a competitive level for the SF Bay Area. Beyond that, bringing in a fantastic Director of Customer Success up-leveled the work we were able to do. I don't know if it was intentional or a happy accident, but by hiring someone with a complete opposite personality I believe the complement each other beautifully and create a great leadership team for ~50 CSMs. Had it not been for an amazing opportunity that I couldn't have passed up, I would've surely stayed at Glassdoor. And lastly, who wouldn't love free parking, free food, fantastic work-life balance, a waterfront location, and dogs E V E R Y W H E R E.

Cons

Keep showing the love to CS and letting the CSMs do their thing. Really, the only major cons I can think of would be assistance in paying the GGB toll to get to and from the office in Mill Valley and stability in book changes and CSM/AM alignment changes.

November 15, 2018VP Customer Success

Dear Glassdoor CS Alum Firstly, thank you for taking the time to write a review! It's always valuable for us to hear about the experience of working with our team. It's really great to hear that your time in Customer Success at Glassdoor was a positive experience for you. I'm truly proud of what we're building here and you've been a part of that, so thank you. I appreciate your feedback on some areas where we can continue to improve the employee experience . We recently completed a company-wide review of rewards and implemented some changes that I think will be positive for all CSMs. We're also continuing to think through ways that we can connect all of our teams across Mill Valley, Chicago, Ohio, Dublin and more as we grow! Lastly, I wish you all the best in your new role. I hope that your time in Customer Success at Glassdoor has helped you achieve your aspirations and take this next step in your career. - Chris, VP Customer Success

"Shocked and Disappointed"

2.0
    Former Employee - Senior Desktop Support Analyst in Chicago, IL
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Glassdoor full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Great culture and talented people in the Chicago Office. Chicago has some of the most dedicated and loyal people you will meet. Their hard work will inspire you to become better in your role.

Cons

- Lack of support from the Mill Valley Office. Despite growing from 50 employees to over 200 employees in just over a year and with three office moves during that time, department leadership visited only during office moves (for a few hours at most) and never returned, therefore never able to see day to day workload at site during typical days of operation. IT exec leadership cancelled every skip level meeting (1:1) for the past seven months. - No growth potential - I was stuck doing level 1 work with no ability to work on bigger projects because I was supporting 200+ users by myself. Support employees in remote sites from Corporate are not listened to, compared to team members based in the Corporate office in MV. - No Transparency - I wanted to stay at Glassdoor but was told there was no room for advancement unless I moved to MV, after I handed in my resignation they upgraded my position to a Lead title (still in Chicago). During my time here I was never given opportunities for development as I was isolated from the team. I enjoyed working with the Chicago office and it was extremely disappointing to have to move on to find personal growth and development - more frustrating watching many other members of the Chicago team being given the chance for personal development, growth and additional responsibilities/promotion

March 28, 2018Glassdoor's Chief Information Officer

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a review. We take your feedback seriously and as the leader of our information technology team, I take it to heart as a big part of our team’s focus is to support Glassdoor’s people in all offices, including Chicago. Nurturing and creating opportunities for growth for my entire team is consistently a top priority. I’m personally proud that many team members, past and present, exemplify this as I am a big advocate of finding ways to keep valuable team members here at Glassdoor, regardless of where they’re based geographically. My team is only as strong as the people on it. I thank you for your candid feedback and wish you the best going forward.

"Great place to work... if you like small and scrappy teams."

4.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Glassdoor has a great CEO who is smart, empathetic, honest and charismatic. He is an engineer by training who is respected around the company, and that has made all the difference in terms of quality and thoughtfulness of our core products, and our great company culture. There is real work-life balance at Glassdoor, if you make a priority for yourself. I work from home 1-2 days a week to make the commute from the East Bay manageable, and management has supported that. I get my work done efficiently, and in 3 years have never worked a weekend -- aside from travel and 1-2 very unusual weekend fire drills. This is a company you can work at for years and have a great life doing so. As we've matured as a company, we're paying more attention to training and development, which is awesome. There are possibilities to move around within the company, and there are regular classes to pick up skills and grow as a professional. Glassdoor has a great brand, and that makes it fun to work here. People here feel like we are really helping people find a job they love, and that's more like a nonprofit than just another tech company. Glassdoor really has a soul as an organization, and I have learned a lot about culture and management from my time here. People are friendly at Glassdoor. Marin is a beautiful place to work. And the free lunch and video games really are great.

Cons

Most teams at Glassdoor are small. You might say they are starved for resources. My team hasn't grown at all in years, and it can be frustrating being asked to do more of the same year after year with no additional resources. If you're not in a part of the company that is growing today, it's tough to see a long-term career arc upward. In terms of benefits, there is no 401(k) match, would I would like to see happen someday. Otherwise, the benefits are great and management are constantly looking for ways to improve them, by surveying employees. That's great. Our headquarters are in Marin because of a historical accident, really. Now we are split between Mill Valley and SF, because many sought-after job candidates simply aren't willing to work in Marin and have bargained for an SF office. That split isn't great for the company long-term -- we should clearly relocate either into SF so that people can commute in on transit, or into East Bay so people can actually afford to someday buy houses. There are no other top tech companies in Marin (putting AutoDesk aside) for a reason -- it's probably not a sustainable location for Glassdoor long term. We are in a very competitive industry and I'm hesitant long-term about our ability to grow and thrive as a company. We are facing intense competition, with larger rivals copying the best aspects of our product and ramping up their investments in marketing. It's a scary competitive landscape facing us right now.

Continue reading

"Finally, A Company That Feels Like Home"

Current Employee - Editorial Director in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time for more than a year

Pros

After 15 years in my career, I've finally found a company that truly fits 96% if not more of my needs, wants and desires. It is the perfect place for me in my life right now, professionally and personally. I used to think that a job could only be but so good -- that it could only satisfy two of the three major requirements (pay, people and project). My husband says that he learned in business school that you will, in fact, only ever get two of the three. However, I have found all three at Glassdoor. A great salary, funny/hard-working people and a project or work product that challenges me every day and gives me the autonomy I've been looking for. It's a senior start-up, as I like to say. Glassdoor has the nimbleness of a start-up with none of the uncertainty. It has the professional polish of a large company without the politics or bureaucracy. It's a great place for those who know what they want and have the drive, passion and mid-career experience to make it happen.

Cons

As a member of the marketing organization, I don't experience many of the downsides that others might. Overall it's a very strong organization. However, to provide balance, here are the areas that need improvement: -Clear focus on business objectives and resources. While there is so much to do with the product and in the space, Glassdoor is only 750 people. Prioritization is key. To do everything we want to do, we'll have to either focus on the 80-20 rule more, or hire more people. -Location. I love working on the waterfront, but the commute is hard for 85% of the company in Mill Valley. A larger SF office with opportunities to work from there would be great not only for current staff but for our recruitment and retention efforts. -People of Color. No need to beat around the bush, I'm not talking about "diversity." I'm referring to actual people of color in our ranks. We need more. We have diversity of thought, gender, socio-economic status, etc. However, Glassdoor truly struggles with hiring and retaining people of color. It's no longer okay to say that we're not as big as our contemporaries and, therefore, cannot put the emphasis on hiring people of color. It's imperative to our innovation and growth that we invest in racially diverse communities.

October 24, 2017VP Corporate Communications

I am so glad you’re part of this team! Words like these help remind all of us why we come to work every day and I’m so happy to see this job is the right fit for you. Your review is a great reminder to me personally that we need to be mindful of prioritization, not just projects and OKRs, but in what we prioritize when it comes to valuing important things like diversity. We are passionate about this and looking for ways to do exactly what you’re pointing out as so important. Thanks for taking the time to share this review.

"From Intern to Full-Time Employee!"

Current Employee - Public Relations Associate in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time for more than a year

Pros

- I interned with Glassdoor during my junior and senior year of college, and I can say for certain that the internship set me up for success in school the next year as well as my first job post-graduation (before returning to GD for more). - The people, culture, career opportunities, managers and clear company vision motivate me to fully dive into the work I'm doing every day. I no longer dread Monday mornings! - My managers trust and empower me to continue learning and take on new tasks to help build my skills. I know that my experience at Glassdoor will help further my career in the long run. - I truly believe in the mission to help everyone everywhere find a job and company they love. Plus, most people and media I talk to love Glassdoor (almost) as much as I do, and that always gives me a boost of brand pride. - Great benefits and pay: Dogs in the office, free (healthy) catered lunch everyday, cover phone bill, free parking (which is a big deal in the Bay Area), onsite gym, community events (gotta love lip sync karaoke for Pride), unlimited PTO, etc.

Cons

- While I love Marin County, it's a pain to pay bridge toll every day. Would be nice to have a benefit to help cover the cost. - The company has expanded into two buildings in Mill Valley. The second is shared with several other businesses and doesn't feel as much like Glassdoor as the first building.

October 24, 2017VP Corporate Communications

You’ve earned your spot on this team and we’re so glad you’re part of it! This review makes my heart swell because I feel the same brand pride when I hear from others about how much they love and value Glassdoor. I hear you on the commute and the two buildings. I want to make sure our team feels as much like part of this organization as any other. If you have concerns about where we sit, I hope you feel comfortable talking to me about that. My door is always open.

"Sales Operations Analyst"

Current Employee - Analyst in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time for more than a year

Pros

- I work with some of the most talented and fun people every day - The challenges that are put in front of you on a daily basis are challenging, but you know that nearly everything you touch is having a direct impact on the company trajectory. - One of the best things about working for Glassdoor, is it is extremely easy to stand behind and be motivated by the company mission to help everyone find a job that they love.

Cons

- The commute to Mill Valley isn't ideal but the view of the hills and the bay somewhat make up for it. - It feels like big changes are made without consulting all those that are affected. These changes cause team members to go back and do extra work from slight adjustments causing days or even weeks worth of work that does not move the needle.

May 28, 2017VP, Sales Operations

Thanks for taking the time to write this about our team. It’s true, we really are helping people with something important and the work we do here matters a lot. I think we do our best to manage changes when they come along, but your review reminds me that we can always be looking for ways to get better, so thank you for that motivator.

Found 23 reviews