Glassdoor Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Jan 6, 2021

Found 105 of over 842 reviews

3.9
Glassdoor CEO Christian Sutherland-Wong
Christian Sutherland-Wong
Pros
  • "There is a lot of respect for your personal time and I think in general Glassdoor offers a good work life balance(in 91 reviews)

• "Great people - i know cliche - but love the tech pool and challenges we solve everyday(in 52 reviews)

• Cons
  • "I think Glassdoor is still experiencing growing pains in where we want to establish ourselves in the market(in 47 reviews)

• "Commute can be lengthy since the Mill Valley office is in North Bay(in 23 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Supportive & Transparent

Jan 6, 2021 - Customer Success Manager in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Have had unbelievable support to be successful during Covid-19, including wfh expenses, work/life balance support, and team building opportunities. There are smart and experienced managers in place in CS who are transparent and direct, making our work fulfilling and easier during change. As the CS role's focus has changed as a result of our partnership with sister company Indeed, it has remained a value-add role for clients with autonomy, purpose, and responsibility.

Cons

Compensation could be slightly more competitive but benefits are by far incredible and make up for it.

3 people found this review helpful
    2. 1.0

Not great

Nov 16, 2020 - Director in Mill Valley, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

It's a mission driven company -- feels good to be doing something good for the world (theoretically)

Cons

The pay is very mediocre... that was okay given that work / life balance was pretty good. But, 60 hour weeks has become the norm. It's gotten political. Execs are leaving left at an alarming rate...

10 people found this review helpful

Chief People Officer

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. Glassdoor is a mission driven company - helping job seekers find a job and company they love and I'm happy to hear that our mission has resonated with you. A foundational component of Glassdoor is also transparency. Earlier this year, we provided insight into our Compensation Philosophy - which one can find on our blog - which highlights that we target the 65th percentile as midpoint for salaries of non-technical roles and the 75th percentile as midpoint for technical roles. And no doubt, 2020 has been a challenging year with a global pandemic, moving to working remotely full time, and social justice taking a prominent role. Within Glassdoor, these changes were also layered upon a strategy shift and a focus on radical transparency. In addition to salary transparency, we have also focused on transparency into: diversity data and metrics, pulse (employee engagement) results, and promotion transparency to provide employees and candidates alike the insights and information they need to navigate their careers. Despite the changes that 2020 has brought us, we are excited about the progress we've made in these areas and the future impact we can have to help those at Glassdoor and everywhere love their job.

3. Ask Employees™

Glassdoor encourages employees to be innovative

Polled: Aug 2021Responses: 184 ResponsesResponses: 184Audience: All employees
      Agree 91 (49%)
      Featured Employee Response

Glassdoor has a culture that empowers every employee to be an owner of their work domain. This means that everyone is encouraged, supported, and expected to develop a perspective on what problems and solutions are most important, and proposing paths forward.

4. 5.0

Great Place to work

Oct 8, 2020 - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good People Great Culture Work Life balance

Cons

Career growth is stagnant Compensation is low

Glassdoor Response

Thanks for taking the time to drop us a review! It's great to hear that our work/life balance, people, and overall culture have exceeded your expectations so far. Regarding your feedback about compensation, you can read on our Glassdoor profile about how our team thinks about compensation and total rewards, as well as access all of our employee salary ranges which were published just last month. Thanks again for your feedback.

5. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great place to learn and amazing work life balance

Sep 10, 2020 - Data Scientist in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great place to learn and grow and build your skillset. You are encouraged to learn new technologies and seek projects that will help you build your resume and career. Amazing work life balance even better since Covid. There is never any expectation to respond or work after hours. Very little wasted meetings/ email culture. Focus is on results and impact and little to no politics. Leadership is one of the most open/transparent and diverse (especially with regards to women) I have seen in the tech industry. Will pay good compensation in line with all the other big tech companies (but below FANG) if you negotiated prior to joining.

Cons

It is unclear how Indeed and Glassdoor won't be combined into one entity in the future given the recent acquisitions. That's not necessarily a bad thing long term for some as I feel the combined company would be a stronger brand name and resume booster but for others it may be an issue of job security. Not a lot of truly innovative projects. Salaries that you see on Glassdoor should not be this low for tech workers yet for some reason we can't seem to figure this out. Levels.fyi and/or Blind app can and should be acquired but we won't.

5 people found this review helpful
    6. 3.0

Great place to work

Sep 16, 2020 - Data Scientist in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Cons

I’ve chosen to list my cons by category. I hope you’ll take these seriously. You’ll notice a correlation between some of these cons and Glassdoor’s recently released “Company Values”. 1. “We Are Transparent” is no longer true: 2. “We are Innovative” …boy, I wish that were true:

1 person found this review helpful
    7. 5.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Excellent

Aug 26, 2020 - Intern in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Management , Work life balance,Friendly, Opportunity, Colleagues

Cons

Competitive, Busy, Loud, Stress, Noise

Glassdoor Response

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We’re thrilled to read that you had an excellent experience working on our EMEA teams, and that you felt you had a job that fit and supported your life. Your feedback is valuable as we look to grow into an even more equitable and inclusive place to work!

8. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great People and Great Opportunities

Jul 21, 2020 - Systems Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Coworkers and management are great - Work/life balance - Opportunities to learn - Ability to make changes that really impact the company

Cons

Now that Glassdoor is owned by Recruit there's some uneasiness about the future

1 person found this review helpful
    9. 5.0

Blunt Honesty

Jul 15, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

I'll start by saying - I have worked at other companies in the past and partnered with clients in various industries where I was able to experience their workplaces. I'll be the first to say - Glassdoor is far and above superior to all of them in terms of courtesy and professionalism of employees, work-life balance and employee benefits. When I first started, I could physically feel the shift in the workplace unlike I had before! A few pros I want to highlight: + Visibility. I feel completely taken care of and seen as a worker. I have never felt like "just a number" or "another face in the crowd". I also feel as if my voice matters, and if I want something acted upon or noticed, it will be! Meetings with our managers are always productive and they make an effort to ask if there are any questions we need answered or changes we would recommend. + Change happens! Again, never worked for a company that is so outright eager to gain employee feedback. They proactively ask for it on a regular basis. They encourage us to share the good, the bad and the ugly to be as truthful and raw as we can. If my previous employers asked for feedback, no changes were ever made and you never heard about it again. At Glassdoor, not only does our CEO and PeopleTeam read the reviews, read the survey feedback and openly ask for more, but they take this information and make ACTUAL CHANGE! They even asked us to write reviews about how we were feeling right now, knowing there may be quite a bit of animosity at the moment. Crazy, right? They recognize the power that their employees have and care enough to shift things to favor their people. It still blows my mind that one review has the power to change the forward motion of a company, but it's so true! + Employees. I can confidently say I am among some of the best and brightest individuals in the industry. My colleagues are kind, funny, intelligent, professional and always willing to help each other out. I feel proud to work alongside them every day! + Work-life balance. Managers encourage us to take time off, take a personal day or go on vacation. The unlimited PTO and fantastic benefits package is top-notch! + Work from home. I'll preface this with I enjoy working from home. I miss my people, but I don't mind not having to commute, sleeping a little longer, etc.. When our WFH order happened, we were told to let our IT team know if we needed anything - extra monitors, keyboards, desk chairs, desks, you name it. We were even given an option to buy work from home essentials we may need and expense it. This has helped make the WFH experience so much better. Again, I feel very supported and taken care of!

Cons

You can't have a lot of good without some bad, right? A few cons I want to highlight: - Layoffs. By now it's a broken record that people have written about the harsh handling of the layoffs in May. While it's difficult to tell 300 people they are being let go, I do believe a more conceited effort to give folks a "heads up" would have been extremely appreciated by both the folks who left and the ones who remained. While the severance packages were generous, the situation could have been handled much better and more direct from the first sign of trouble in paradise. - Culture. While the people are all top-notch in the industry, some of the "Glassdoor Lifers" don't understand how things could be outside of working at Glassdoor. There are quite a few employees who have grown with the company for their whole careers and don't know what it's like working anywhere else. Because of this, they constantly compare the current Glassdoor to how it used to be without realizing that things could be much worse, as they are at most other companies. - Concise forward planning. Lately, all the change feels very unstable and wishy-washy. It feels as if our service motion or future partnerships are changing every day. We hear information one day, and it's different the next. It would have been better if management would have taken a week or two in order to plan. Sit down, and really work things out before having us do what feels like this whole 'trial and error' thing to work out the kinks. The back and forth is starting to take a toll on internal teams and client relationships instead of having one solid plan that either succeeds or fails.

2 people found this review helpful

CEO

The people are absolutely the biggest asset to Glassdoor and are why it is such a unique place. Thank you for making Glassdoor special. COVID-19 and its severe hit to the economy is something the world has never seen before. This has had a considerable impact on our business, one we simply could not have predicted. I shared in our March All Hands that we were seeing this in several key business health indicators and sadly we saw this trend continue. That said, I want you to know that I hear your feedback that you feel we could have been clearer communicating this to you. I believe transparency with employees and providing a clear understanding of our go-forward strategy is absolutely essential. Thank you for being a part of Glassdoor and for your contribution! Christian CEO, Glassdoor

10. 4.0

Overall, 4 out of 5

Jul 20, 2020 - People Team Member
      Business Outlook

Pros

--Mission Driven Company. Glassdoor truly believes we can help people everywhere find a job and company they love. This is one of the main reasons I was attracted to Glassdoor initially and it continues to be a reason I stay. --Openness to change. Glassdoor takes on change with grit. As a company, everyone understands the change, although we aren’t afraid to ask “Why?” or “How?” and leadership responds with the answers. --Leadership is willing and eager to put in the work. The majority of Senior Leaders are young in their careers. They are willing to hear the direct feedback and implement changes. They are eager to grow and develop in their own careers to make Glassdoor an even better place to work. --Ability to have ownership and be accountable. I’ve been at Glassdoor two years and in my time, I’ve had ownership over a handful of projects and l continue to learn what truly being accountable to a business metric and making an impact means.

Cons

-- Work Life balance while working remote. When Glassdoor was in a physical office location, the environment was more relaxed and felt more open to taking time off. Now that we are entirely remote, it seems like projects just don’t stop. Taking time off, even just for yourself, seems like an unrealistic ask. -- Slow to innovate, risk averse until recent. It seems like in the past 3 months, a spark has gone off and Glassdoor is starting to wake up from a nap. I’m nervous Glassdoor might be a little late in the game to course correct…

11. 5.0
      Current Employee

Mission driven with great people and an exciting future!

Jul 20, 2020 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

I've worked at Glassdoor for several years and the thing that really stands out for me is the people. Everyone has their heart in the right place - wanting to do the best for our users, our clients and internally for our people. People genuinely believe in the mission and the positive impact we can have on the world. The people are also smart and driven but understand the need for time for family and out of work activities. There is a lot of respect for your personal time and I think in general Glassdoor offers a good work life balance. I've also seen over the past few years the maturing of the company as it brings more structure (mostly for the better) to its operations. For instance, professionalizing planning with OKRs, salary benchmarking to ensure fair pay, well organized and thoughtful All Hands meetings, etc. I recognize that the company has been through a lot of changes in recent months, not least of which was the impact of Covid. The CEO and Board's decision to let go 30% of the workforce, while very painful at the time, was the correct and responsible thing to do. It ensured the business was set up for future success and that there would be no drip-feeding of redundancies. I can see that Christian (our CEO) is deeply considerate and does not take these kind of decisions lightly. He was dealt a very tough hand of cards in recent months and has responded with courage and compassion. He feels the weight of his responsibilities and this comes through in the extent to which he makes himself vulnerable and transparent. For a tech/product standpoint, I personally am very excited by the new strategy direction and believe we will have a lot of impactful and innovative products to bring to market. Overall Glassdoor is a great employer and I would highly recommend it!

Cons

Every company has its cons and Glassdoor is not an exception. I think there are a few key areas that Glassdoor could improve: - Sense of urgency: I think some areas of the org are strongly professionalized and the people act with urgency. Whereas with others it seems that follow up emails are sometimes necessary to solicit a response. This is just an example, but at times there is a 'big company' mentality whereas I believe we could have more of a startup, get stuff done approach (even if it means we mess up sometimes - better to move fast then get bogged down with bureaucracy). - Meeting overload: sometimes what could be achieved in a well structured email is repackaged as a meeting. I would encourage us to set the bar higher before booking the time of colleagues. This isn't a big issue but you do see meetings occurring that would have been better served through an email.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 105 Reviews