Glassdoor Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated 6 Jan 2021

Found 106 of over 801 reviews

3.8
Glassdoor CEO Christian Sutherland-Wong
Christian Sutherland-Wong
Pros
  • "There is a lot of respect for your personal time and I think in general Glassdoor offers a good work life balance(in 91 reviews)

• "Great people - i know cliche - but love the tech pool and challenges we solve everyday(in 52 reviews)

• Cons
  • "I think Glassdoor is still experiencing growing pains in where we want to establish ourselves in the market(in 47 reviews)

• "Commute can be lengthy since the Mill Valley office is in North Bay(in 23 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great place to learn and amazing work life balance

10 Sep 2020 - Data Scientist in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great place to learn and grow and build your skillset. You are encouraged to learn new technologies and seek projects that will help you build your resume and career. Amazing work life balance even better since Covid. There is never any expectation to respond or work after hours. Very little wasted meetings/ email culture. Focus is on results and impact and little to no politics. Leadership is one of the most open/transparent and diverse (especially with regards to women) I have seen in the tech industry. Will pay good compensation in line with all the other big tech companies (but below FANG) if you negotiated prior to joining.

Cons

It is unclear how Indeed and Glassdoor won't be combined into one entity in the future given the recent acquisitions. That's not necessarily a bad thing long term for some as I feel the combined company would be a stronger brand name and resume booster but for others it may be an issue of job security. Not a lot of truly innovative projects. Salaries that you see on Glassdoor should not be this low for tech workers yet for some reason we can't seem to figure this out. Levels.fyi and/or Blind app can and should be acquired but we won't.

5 people found this review helpful
    2. 4.0

Overall, 4 out of 5

20 Jul 2020 - People Team Member
      Business Outlook

Pros

--Mission Driven Company. Glassdoor truly believes we can help people everywhere find a job and company they love. This is one of the main reasons I was attracted to Glassdoor initially and it continues to be a reason I stay. --Openness to change. Glassdoor takes on change with grit. As a company, everyone understands the change, although we aren’t afraid to ask “Why?” or “How?” and leadership responds with the answers. --Leadership is willing and eager to put in the work. The majority of Senior Leaders are young in their careers. They are willing to hear the direct feedback and implement changes. They are eager to grow and develop in their own careers to make Glassdoor an even better place to work. --Ability to have ownership and be accountable. I’ve been at Glassdoor two years and in my time, I’ve had ownership over a handful of projects and l continue to learn what truly being accountable to a business metric and making an impact means.

Cons

-- Work Life balance while working remote. When Glassdoor was in a physical office location, the environment was more relaxed and felt more open to taking time off. Now that we are entirely remote, it seems like projects just don’t stop. Taking time off, even just for yourself, seems like an unrealistic ask. -- Slow to innovate, risk averse until recent. It seems like in the past 3 months, a spark has gone off and Glassdoor is starting to wake up from a nap. I’m nervous Glassdoor might be a little late in the game to course correct…

Be the first to find this review helpful
    3. Employee Polls

I see potential to advance in my career at Glassdoor

Polled: Jun 2021Responses: 191 ResponsesResponses: 191Audience: All employees
      Agree 80 (100%)
      Featured Employee Response

I've always been given a choice to learn as much as I can/want. This has provided me the opportunity to go towards multiple different engineering career paths. I've been actively working with both my direct supervisor, as well as the level up from them to decide the best path for me.

4. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Supportive & Transparent

6 Jan 2021 - Customer Success Manager in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Have had unbelievable support to be successful during Covid-19, including wfh expenses, work/life balance support, and team building opportunities. There are smart and experienced managers in place in CS who are transparent and direct, making our work fulfilling and easier during change. As the CS role's focus has changed as a result of our partnership with sister company Indeed, it has remained a value-add role for clients with autonomy, purpose, and responsibility.

Cons

Compensation could be slightly more competitive but benefits are by far incredible and make up for it.

3 people found this review helpful
    5. 3.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Great Folks, Poor Outlook

16 May 2020 - Marketing in Mill Valley, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

The day to day was all positive. Cross collaboration was always painless. Always got the sense that Glassdoor operates as a unit, not as siloed departments. This is not a hyperbole: everyone I interacted with was extremely easy to work with. No politics. Just ppl getting sh*t done. Work/Life balance is great. I never felt overworked and when life hit you, management was extremely willing to accommodate. Benefits are pretty solid. Free healthcare for yourself and subsidized healthcare for family. Unlimited PTO that you're encouraged to use. Very nice office/working facility with free daily catered lunch, a gameroom, gym, cafeteria.

Cons

*Sigh* it pains me to write this, but... The Glassdoor we know and love is not long for this world. Glassdoor makes most of its revenue on job ads, where it's a small player in a competitive space. It's extremely hard to monetize what Glassdoor's core features: the reviews. The revenue from employer profiles is frankly not enough run a profitable business at the current size. The new CEO seems powerless to the board members of Recruit (Glassdoor's holding company). He's an extremely nice guy and definitely cared about the company. But a good person doesn't always make a good CEO.

14 people found this review helpful

Glassdoor Response

We appreciate you taking the time to leave a thoughtful review. We’re glad to read that collaboration with your colleagues was seamless and enjoyable, and that our various employee benefits (and office spaces that we dearly miss!) served you well and helped you maintain a great work/life balance. Your feedback regarding monetization and our new partnership with Indeed is valuable. While both Glassdoor and Indeed are, and will continue to be, under the Recruit umbrella, our consumer strategy is to operate as independent brands focusing on what we each do best. As the worldwide leader in employer branding and insights, we are highly confident that there is a need among employers of all industries and sizes to tell an effective brand story. After a year like 2020, where the demand for overall employer transparency, D&I insights, and pay equity has increased, our products will adapt to support these needs.

6. 3.0
      Former Employee

Not sure how they will last

3 Jun 2020 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great people who really care Nice offices, lots of swag and free food 100% paid benefits Good work life balance Solid, state of the art technologies My team was incredible, some of the best people I've met

Cons

You can't say you are pushing transparency when there were months of reassurances that jobs would be safe - all to have a 30 minute warning that there would be a mass layoff. While this is 1 occurrence, it's a big one because it points to an issue with senior leadership and how they trust and communicate to employees. It's no secret that Glassdoor has been struggling to maintain competitiveness. Go ahead, read reviews from the past fews years. The product has evolved minimally and there haven't been actual new, revenue producing products built. It's clear that right now, Glassdoor's current products only matter in a bullish market. In a bear market, it's the first to go. Even as an employee, this was my #1 concern for the company, and I'm unsure how they will last. Before joining Glassdoor, I'd wait a little bit to see how things pan out..,

8 people found this review helpful

CEO

It’s great to hear that you your team and the people of Glassdoor left such a positive impression on you. I 100% agree. The people at Glassdoor are truly exceptional. COVID-19 took a significant toll on the world and on our business. I cannot tell you how sad it is to say goodbye to such awesome people. While we had shared in our monthly All Hands that we’d seen this crisis have a considerable impact on our company, I hear your feedback that you felt surprised by this decision. In regards to building new products and innovating, you're right this has been an area that was not as much of a focus as it should've been. That said, I'm very excited about where we're headed and the products we are working towards delivering. I hope you will stay in touch with the people that made your time at Glassdoor special and please do not hesitate to reach out. We’re here to support you and we wish you the best. Christian CEO, Glassdoor

7. 3.0

Great place to work

16 Sep 2020 - Data Scientist in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Cons

I’ve chosen to list my cons by category. I hope you’ll take these seriously. You’ll notice a correlation between some of these cons and Glassdoor’s recently released “Company Values”. 1. “We Are Transparent” is no longer true: 2. “We are Innovative” …boy, I wish that were true:

1 person found this review helpful
    8. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Indeedoor

6 Jun 2020 - Manager in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Many Director and below people were great to work with. They cared and understood the challenges we faced everyday selling Glassdoor. -Work Life Balance -Nice office

Cons

-Product is pretty weak and there was barely anything done to make it substantially better. -VP and up seemed out of touch often. Especially with the Chicago office. -Christian seems like a "nice guy" but not sure if he was ready to take this on yet. Before Covid, Glassdoor wasn't performing that well. So I don't think a lot of people were shocked when they let 1/3 of the company go, even after saying we were in a good place weeks before. - SOPS was horrible. CS was understaffing and under trained. - This was a place to meet nice people, get a paycheck, move up and move on. There wasn't any innovation to sink your career in at Glassdoor (If Glassdoor ever does hire again, I would not have expectations beyond that). ** IF you're in the Bay, I'd never work at Glassdoor (too many better options with better pay). If you're in Chicago maybe consider, to move up and move out.**

10 people found this review helpful

CEO

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. In recent years, I don’t disagree that Glassdoor has not focused enough on innovating from its core, in the products and content that make Glassdoor stand out from the crowd. And that needed to change. That is why earlier this year we renewed our focus to invest much more in what differentiates Glassdoor and in the areas in which we can truly be the best in the world. And while we had shared in our monthly All Hands that we’d seen this crisis have a considerable impact on our company, I hear your feedback that we could’ve been more clear. As you move forward, we wish you all the best and we’re here to be a support to you. Christian CEO, Glassdoor

9. 2.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Overpriced hard product to sell

16 Jun 2020 - SDR in Dublin, Dublin
      Business Outlook

Pros

Nice office and the people are friendly.

Cons

- Extremely high targets which are completely unreachable (people often end up cheating the system in order to hit targets - this cycle never ends) - The product itself is over priced and completely dated - Management wont allow anyone on the team to speak their minds and challenge them, if you do you're branded as "negative". - On boarding and training is far too short and condensed despite the sheer amount of new tools/systems one has to learn. - Lack of communication between upper management often led to confusion and distrust within the team as guidance was not always clear. - Work life balance is extremely poor, many SDR's were working overtime and on holidays to reach targets and push out massive amounts of volume to reach ridiculously high weekly KPI's set out by managers. - One of the lowest paying sales job compared with other Tech startups in Dublin right now.

2 people found this review helpful
    10. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great Culture. Great People.

18 May 2020 - Executive Assistant in Mill Valley, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

(This review reflects my PRE-COVID experience). Glassdoor hires well and they take their culture very seriously. Due to that fact, I have gained numerous meaningful friendships and mentorships with my coworkers. The culture is relaxed, yet highly efficient, and work-life balance is a very integral part of our culture here. There are many days where I'll leave at 5 PM and I will be one of the last few people in the office. We have relaxed hours, flexible PTO, and many people opt to WFH at least 2 days a week. Working here has been a dream! Free lunch 5x a week. A beautiful office. Great people. Meaningful work. What more could I ask for?

Cons

As of recently, things have been understandably difficult. We have had to lay off 30% of our workforce. This situation has NOT been ideal, but I'm hopeful that we will regain some sense of normalcy when this is over. Unfortunately, I also think that we've lost so many long-term employees that things will never quite be the same.

Be the first to find this review helpful

CEO

It’s great to hear that Glassdoor’s culture and people have made working at Glassdoor meaningful for you. While we have certainly experienced a great number of changes, I am confident that Glassdoor is needed now more than ever and these changes will put us in a strong position to achieve our company goals. Thank you! I’m grateful for your commitment to our mission and to our future. Christian CEO, Glassdoor

11. 5.0

Blunt Honesty

15 Jul 2020 - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

I'll start by saying - I have worked at other companies in the past and partnered with clients in various industries where I was able to experience their workplaces. I'll be the first to say - Glassdoor is far and above superior to all of them in terms of courtesy and professionalism of employees, work-life balance and employee benefits. When I first started, I could physically feel the shift in the workplace unlike I had before! A few pros I want to highlight: + Visibility. I feel completely taken care of and seen as a worker. I have never felt like "just a number" or "another face in the crowd". I also feel as if my voice matters, and if I want something acted upon or noticed, it will be! Meetings with our managers are always productive and they make an effort to ask if there are any questions we need answered or changes we would recommend. + Change happens! Again, never worked for a company that is so outright eager to gain employee feedback. They proactively ask for it on a regular basis. They encourage us to share the good, the bad and the ugly to be as truthful and raw as we can. If my previous employers asked for feedback, no changes were ever made and you never heard about it again. At Glassdoor, not only does our CEO and PeopleTeam read the reviews, read the survey feedback and openly ask for more, but they take this information and make ACTUAL CHANGE! They even asked us to write reviews about how we were feeling right now, knowing there may be quite a bit of animosity at the moment. Crazy, right? They recognize the power that their employees have and care enough to shift things to favor their people. It still blows my mind that one review has the power to change the forward motion of a company, but it's so true! + Employees. I can confidently say I am among some of the best and brightest individuals in the industry. My colleagues are kind, funny, intelligent, professional and always willing to help each other out. I feel proud to work alongside them every day! + Work-life balance. Managers encourage us to take time off, take a personal day or go on vacation. The unlimited PTO and fantastic benefits package is top-notch! + Work from home. I'll preface this with I enjoy working from home. I miss my people, but I don't mind not having to commute, sleeping a little longer, etc.. When our WFH order happened, we were told to let our IT team know if we needed anything - extra monitors, keyboards, desk chairs, desks, you name it. We were even given an option to buy work from home essentials we may need and expense it. This has helped make the WFH experience so much better. Again, I feel very supported and taken care of!

Cons

You can't have a lot of good without some bad, right? A few cons I want to highlight: - Layoffs. By now it's a broken record that people have written about the harsh handling of the layoffs in May. While it's difficult to tell 300 people they are being let go, I do believe a more conceited effort to give folks a "heads up" would have been extremely appreciated by both the folks who left and the ones who remained. While the severance packages were generous, the situation could have been handled much better and more direct from the first sign of trouble in paradise. - Culture. While the people are all top-notch in the industry, some of the "Glassdoor Lifers" don't understand how things could be outside of working at Glassdoor. There are quite a few employees who have grown with the company for their whole careers and don't know what it's like working anywhere else. Because of this, they constantly compare the current Glassdoor to how it used to be without realizing that things could be much worse, as they are at most other companies. - Concise forward planning. Lately, all the change feels very unstable and wishy-washy. It feels as if our service motion or future partnerships are changing every day. We hear information one day, and it's different the next. It would have been better if management would have taken a week or two in order to plan. Sit down, and really work things out before having us do what feels like this whole 'trial and error' thing to work out the kinks. The back and forth is starting to take a toll on internal teams and client relationships instead of having one solid plan that either succeeds or fails.

2 people found this review helpful

CEO

The people are absolutely the biggest asset to Glassdoor and are why it is such a unique place. Thank you for making Glassdoor special. COVID-19 and its severe hit to the economy is something the world has never seen before. This has had a considerable impact on our business, one we simply could not have predicted. I shared in our March All Hands that we were seeing this in several key business health indicators and sadly we saw this trend continue. That said, I want you to know that I hear your feedback that you feel we could have been clearer communicating this to you. I believe transparency with employees and providing a clear understanding of our go-forward strategy is absolutely essential. Thank you for being a part of Glassdoor and for your contribution! Christian CEO, Glassdoor

Viewing 1 - 10 of 106 Reviews