Glassdoor Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated 22 Jul 2020

3.8
Glassdoor CEO Christian Sutherland-Wong
Christian Sutherland-Wong
Pros
  • "There is a lot of respect for your personal time and I think in general Glassdoor offers a good work life balance(in 86 reviews)

• "Great people, Good pay, Great place to learn(in 49 reviews)

Cons
  • "While there is a tremendous amount of opportunity, there are also quite a few growing pains(in 47 reviews)

• "Commute can be lengthy since the Mill Valley office is in North Bay(in 23 reviews)

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews

"Blunt Honesty"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time for more than a year

Pros

I'll start by saying - I have worked at other companies in the past and partnered with clients in various industries where I was able to experience their workplaces. I'll be the first to say - Glassdoor is far and above superior to all of them in terms of courtesy and professionalism of employees, work-life balance and employee benefits. When I first started, I could physically feel the shift in the workplace unlike I had before! A few pros I want to highlight: + Visibility. I feel completely taken care of and seen as a worker. I have never felt like "just a number" or "another face in the crowd". I also feel as if my voice matters, and if I want something acted upon or noticed, it will be! Meetings with our managers are always productive and they make an effort to ask if there are any questions we need answered or changes we would recommend. + Change happens! Again, never worked for a company that is so outright eager to gain employee feedback. They proactively ask for it on a regular basis. They encourage us to share the good, the bad and the ugly to be as truthful and raw as we can. If my previous employers asked for feedback, no changes were ever made and you never heard about it again. At Glassdoor, not only does our CEO and PeopleTeam read the reviews, read the survey feedback and openly ask for more, but they take this information and make ACTUAL CHANGE! They even asked us to write reviews about how we were feeling right now, knowing there may be quite a bit of animosity at the moment. Crazy, right? They recognize the power that their employees have and care enough to shift things to favor their people. It still blows my mind that one review has the power to change the forward motion of a company, but it's so true! + Employees. I can confidently say I am among some of the best and brightest individuals in the industry. My colleagues are kind, funny, intelligent, professional and always willing to help each other out. I feel proud to work alongside them every day! + Work-life balance. Managers encourage us to take time off, take a personal day or go on vacation. The unlimited PTO and fantastic benefits package is top-notch! + Work from home. I'll preface this with I enjoy working from home. I miss my people, but I don't mind not having to commute, sleeping a little longer, etc.. When our WFH order happened, we were told to let our IT team know if we needed anything - extra monitors, keyboards, desk chairs, desks, you name it. We were even given an option to buy work from home essentials we may need and expense it. This has helped make the WFH experience so much better. Again, I feel very supported and taken care of!

Cons

You can't have a lot of good without some bad, right? A few cons I want to highlight: - Layoffs. By now it's a broken record that people have written about the harsh handling of the layoffs in May. While it's difficult to tell 300 people they are being let go, I do believe a more conceited effort to give folks a "heads up" would have been extremely appreciated by both the folks who left and the ones who remained. While the severance packages were generous, the situation could have been handled much better and more direct from the first sign of trouble in paradise. - Culture. While the people are all top-notch in the industry, some of the "Glassdoor Lifers" don't understand how things could be outside of working at Glassdoor. There are quite a few employees who have grown with the company for their whole careers and don't know what it's like working anywhere else. Because of this, they constantly compare the current Glassdoor to how it used to be without realizing that things could be much worse, as they are at most other companies. - Concise forward planning. Lately, all the change feels very unstable and wishy-washy. It feels as if our service motion or future partnerships are changing every day. We hear information one day, and it's different the next. It would have been better if management would have taken a week or two in order to plan. Sit down, and really work things out before having us do what feels like this whole 'trial and error' thing to work out the kinks. The back and forth is starting to take a toll on internal teams and client relationships instead of having one solid plan that either succeeds or fails.

Glassdoor Response

July 30, 2020CEO

The people are absolutely the biggest asset to Glassdoor and are why it is such a unique place. Thank you for making Glassdoor special. COVID-19 and its severe hit to the economy is something the world has never seen before. This has had a considerable impact on our business, one we simply could not have predicted. I shared in our March All Hands that we were seeing this in several key business health indicators and sadly we saw this trend continue. That said, I want you to know that I hear your feedback that you feel we could have been clearer communicating this to you. I believe transparency with employees and providing a clear understanding of our go-forward strategy is absolutely essential. Thank you for being a part of Glassdoor and for your contribution! Christian CEO, Glassdoor

2. "Great People and Great Opportunities"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Coworkers and management are great - Work/life balance - Opportunities to learn - Ability to make changes that really impact the company

Cons

Now that Glassdoor is owned by Recruit there's some uneasiness about the future

3. COVID-19

"Mission driven with great people and an exciting future!"

5.0

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time

Pros

I've worked at Glassdoor for several years and the thing that really stands out for me is the people. Everyone has their heart in the right place - wanting to do the best for our users, our clients and internally for our people. People genuinely believe in the mission and the positive impact we can have on the world. The people are also smart and driven but understand the need for time for family and out of work activities. There is a lot of respect for your personal time and I think in general Glassdoor offers a good work life balance. I've also seen over the past few years the maturing of the company as it brings more structure (mostly for the better) to its operations. For instance, professionalizing planning with OKRs, salary benchmarking to ensure fair pay, well organized and thoughtful All Hands meetings, etc. I recognize that the company has been through a lot of changes in recent months, not least of which was the impact of Covid. The CEO and Board's decision to let go 30% of the workforce, while very painful at the time, was the correct and responsible thing to do. It ensured the business was set up for future success and that there would be no drip-feeding of redundancies. I can see that Christian (our CEO) is deeply considerate and does not take these kind of decisions lightly. He was dealt a very tough hand of cards in recent months and has responded with courage and compassion. He feels the weight of his responsibilities and this comes through in the extent to which he makes himself vulnerable and transparent. For a tech/product standpoint, I personally am very excited by the new strategy direction and believe we will have a lot of impactful and innovative products to bring to market. Overall Glassdoor is a great employer and I would highly recommend it!

Cons

Every company has its cons and Glassdoor is not an exception. I think there are a few key areas that Glassdoor could improve: - Sense of urgency: I think some areas of the org are strongly professionalized and the people act with urgency. Whereas with others it seems that follow up emails are sometimes necessary to solicit a response. This is just an example, but at times there is a 'big company' mentality whereas I believe we could have more of a startup, get stuff done approach (even if it means we mess up sometimes - better to move fast then get bogged down with bureaucracy). - Meeting overload: sometimes what could be achieved in a well structured email is repackaged as a meeting. I would encourage us to set the bar higher before booking the time of colleagues. This isn't a big issue but you do see meetings occurring that would have been better served through an email.

4. "Overall, 4 out of 5"

4.0
    Current Employee - People Team Member

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time for more than a year

Pros

--Mission Driven Company. Glassdoor truly believes we can help people everywhere find a job and company they love. This is one of the main reasons I was attracted to Glassdoor initially and it continues to be a reason I stay. --Openness to change. Glassdoor takes on change with grit. As a company, everyone understands the change, although we aren’t afraid to ask “Why?” or “How?” and leadership responds with the answers. --Leadership is willing and eager to put in the work. The majority of Senior Leaders are young in their careers. They are willing to hear the direct feedback and implement changes. They are eager to grow and develop in their own careers to make Glassdoor an even better place to work. --Ability to have ownership and be accountable. I’ve been at Glassdoor two years and in my time, I’ve had ownership over a handful of projects and l continue to learn what truly being accountable to a business metric and making an impact means.

Cons

-- Work Life balance while working remote. When Glassdoor was in a physical office location, the environment was more relaxed and felt more open to taking time off. Now that we are entirely remote, it seems like projects just don’t stop. Taking time off, even just for yourself, seems like an unrealistic ask. -- Slow to innovate, risk averse until recent. It seems like in the past 3 months, a spark has gone off and Glassdoor is starting to wake up from a nap. I’m nervous Glassdoor might be a little late in the game to course correct…

5. COVID-19

"A company that cares"

Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time for more than a year

Pros

Glassdoor is the first company that I've worked at that truly cares about their people. The company culture is fantastic - people are collaborative, respect each other, and are open and communicative. I appreciate that this culture comes from leadership, where each of our execs care about their teams, encourage people to have good work/life balance, and acknowledge issues affecting the world (e.g. diversity and inclusion, Black Lives Matter movement, COVID-19 effects, etc.) Because of this positive environment, I'm able to take ownership of my work, share my thoughts and opinions, and am appreciated for my accomplishments. It's truly one-of-a-kind to be able to experience this type of fulfillment in my work and my company.

Cons

Recently we've gone through many strategy shifts that have caused friction in the company. I think Glassdoor is still experiencing growing pains in where we want to establish ourselves in the market. I also sense that we are losing our own "Glassdoor identity". I will say though that leadership has been trying their best to navigate change and transparently share their thinking about Glassdoor's direction.

6. COVID-19

"Great company with lofty ambitions"

4.0
    Current Employee - Senior Manager Data Engineering in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time for less than a year

Pros

Competitive pay, excellent engineers, lots of data, good work/life balance, focus on career development

Cons

Hectic from time to time, under-resourced, turn over resulting in loss of institutional knowledge.

7. "Good place to work"

Current Employee - Team Lead in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Very transparent from the top down - Intelligent and caring colleagues - Exciting work - Fair review process

Cons

- Compensation and benefits could and should be better - Must manage your own work/life balance, it can be exhausting - Lack of documented processes - Collaborative overload

Glassdoor Response

August 10, 2020

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback about your time at Glassdoor so far. We're thrilled to hear that you have found an intelligent and caring community of peers and leaders, and even more thrilled to hear you've been reviewed fairly and respectfully. You're correct – to date, we have lacked better pay transparency in our own company and are working to change that. By releasing our internal compensation philosophy to help you and other Glassdoorians understand how they are paid, we hope to shift dialogue and eliminate any pay biases that exist within our company. This Fall, we will publicly share our pay bands for roles across Glassdoor. Per your feedback on work/life balance, our People Team has been testing out additional Company Holidays throughout the summer, and we've received great feedback on how it has improved our employees' work/life balance. Additionally, we switched back to a company-wide PTO policy earlier this year, and have received positive reviews on that through our Pulse surveys. Thanks for all you do for Glassdoor!

"A lot of potential but serious work to do"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Great culture - Work/life balance - Friendly and intelligent coworkers - Pretty interesting work

Cons

- Unclear future - Shifting strategies - Process-heavy at times - Slow to get meaningful work done - Product lacks innovation - Compensation and benefits could be better - Rich get richer with promotions, i.e. it seems like the same prototypes of people get promoted while others are forgotten (maybe this is intentional) - Not always walking the walk with transparency

Continue reading

"Not living up to core values"

2.0
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Glassdoor full-time for more than a year

Pros

1. The people - my peers at Glassdoor were honestly the greatest I ever worked with. Everyone was helpful and wanted to see others succeed. It was a great company culture to be a part of. 2. The mission - help people find a job they love. The mission did make me feel like we were working to make the world a better place. I truly enjoyed helping my clients achieve their hiring goals. 3. The work life balance was wonderful. On the teams I was on during my tenure at Glassdoor, I never felt micromanaged.

Cons

1. False transparency - I was so disappointed that Glassdoor didn't live up to their core values. I was in a meeting where our department was told quite literally that we were "keeping the lights on" for the rest of the company and to keep our heads down and make clients happy. One week later, some of us were gone. On a company founded on transparency, to not even hint at preparing the community and team was disheartening. I truly was passionate about Glassdoor and I shared that passion as much as I possibly could with all of our clients. I wish the company did us a solid in return and prepared their own people more after the millions of dollars we brought through the door. 2. Management - I witnessed many people get promoted into leadership positions with 0 experience managing people and it showed. Glassdoor folks are young and it shows. Sometimes you need an adult in the room. I saw qualified colleagues get passed over for seemingly unknown reasons. I saw many times young managers fail miserably at motivating under-performers and taking action on those individuals when there was no improvement. I never had a manger at Glassdoor who had actually done my job. It was extremely frustrating to share feedback with someone who could not understand the context or the frustration in the day to day. It was also disappointing that when I escalated concerning items to the director level, I was flat out ignored. 3. No Product Innovation - we've been selling the same thing for years and simply increasing the price. The most innovative thing that's happened in 2.5 years at Glassdoor was nested and affiliated profiles. That's it! It was extremely frustrating to not have ANY sort of comprehensive legitimate product roadmap.

10. COVID-19

"Customer Success in EMEA"

1.0
    Current Employee - Senior Customer Success Manager in Dublin, Dublin

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Good Salary - The people I work and have worked with - The skillset you acquire. It's a lot of work - Unlimited PTO? The reason why I'm giving a 1 start review is because you need a wake-up call. and you haven't received enough reviews to date that can reflect your actual score, because being honest Glassdoor deserves a mere 3. You have partnered with Indeed and I've worked there for almost 4 years, I was happy working there and left with no bad feelings. You have a long way to go to get the employee satisfaction they have, from now on, at least try to mirror what they do.

Cons

- Work Life balance: zero Expect to get emails during the weekend and after hours. Everyone is so stressed that working late is normal. This is also a consequence of the amount of manual work you have to do when building reports for clients which leads me to: - Lack of automation / reporting is slow: The analytics clients have access to have their limitations so when you need to build a QBR you'll find yourself waiting around 5 days to get a report that comes half empty and you need to fill in, sometimes data is wrong and you need to change things to make it understandable for clients. Some improvements have been made in terms of automation, but still, there is a lot you need to change. It could take you 2h to have a decent deck to present. - Litle support: EMEA is always let behind or at least that's how it feels since I started I worked in both offices, Dublin and London and the support I received when moving was non-existing. I never expected a moving package or whatsoever, but some kind of essential information when moving, setting up a bank account etc. To provide an example I shared my new UK bank details when I moved to London and the first month I got paid 3 weeks later than normal, because no one was able to tell me what type of Bank Account I needed, so I had to change banks and it happened again with the. I still don't know the reason why, but at least it got sorted in the end. - Training: it's always sales focused, very little product training for us to explain to client how the product works behind the scenes and solve issues quickly without having to escalate every time. Also, it would be good if you could provide us with a training that teach us how to be brand specialists as you want us to be. Learning how to upload photos to a profile and basic stuff is no help.

Found 104 reviews