Goodstart Early Learning Employee Reviews about "area managers"

Updated 11 Feb 2020

3.5
Goodstart Early Learning Chief Executive Officer Julia Davison
Julia Davison
Pros
  • "They also provide great professional development to Educators(in 9 reviews)

• "Lots of centres, ability to move around(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "different centres have different people(in 13 reviews)

• "Management need to listen to employees rather than just directors and area managers(in 5 reviews)

Reviews about "area managers"

Return to all Reviews

"Cost cutting and workplace bullying"

2.0
    Current Employee - Educator

I have been working at Goodstart Early Learning part-time for more than a year

Pros

Good pay, flexible working hours

Cons

Toxic workplace culture, cliques and cattiness, directors constantly changing. Directors and area managers hire friends rather than the best people for the job.

"It's ok"

Former Employee - Early Childhood Educator in Richmond, Victoria
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Goodstart Early Learning part-time for more than a year

Pros

- Close to home - Supportive parents - Good pay - Flexible hours/shift change with reasoning

Cons

- Management needs to be improved - Area managers didn't ask for my opinion when doing the room (I was leading for almost 1y without a room leader) and when I said their plan won't work (bc I have tried), they got upset and told me to try anyway - If you're on the earliest shift, you don't get have paid for the first 30mins - The room was too small but they insisted on having 13 children in it - The kinder teacher refused to let the toddler children transitions (even though they have SO MUCH SPACE), delaying other rooms transitioning

"DISGUSTING COMPANY"

1.0
    Former Employee - Kindergarten Teacher in Brisbane

I worked at Goodstart Early Learning full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

You realise what poor a poor company is like to work for.

Cons

Poor Wages Area Managers with friendships of educators in centres so they will 'sweep serious allegations under the rug. (I've watched this happen with at least 3 staff members) discussing confidential matters at BBQs so Directors are unable to manage the staff member due to this 'can't be touched attitude' and certain area managers showing no respect to staff. Bullying on ALL levels. If you want to cry everyday and dread going to work then this would be the right company for you. Educators take photos of children on their personal phones (Yes I've seen it happen) and reported. Educators ignore parents request of children not eating certain foods e.g.. I've watched educators give a child who due to religious beliefs do not eat certain meats, yet educator knows and ignores (when reported it was 'swept under the rug') Continual change in rules dependent on who is 'in charge' Extremly unrealistic expectations of staff. E.g. if you are on the open shift and it starts at 6am then you must get there at 5.40am to set up the centre and breakfast trolley, yet you will only be paid from 6am. Goodstart abuse 'under the roofline' I've seen rooms with extra children placed and staff are highly stressed yet the director won't leave the office to support staff. Goodstart put alot of 'learning days' on and bring in guest speakers from overseas. Yet when you try to implement the knowledge given you are told 'No it's extreme contradictions. Staff are expected to do work from home and spend ALOT of money on resources (yet when EL's and Area Managers come in they say no you don't.. But won't fix the unrealistic timeframe and workload) Don't dare tell them you won't be in due to being sick or ask to go home if you are unwell. I spent days running from the classroom to the toilet to spew or in my bin in the classroom storeroom as i was made to feel 'guilty and told i needed to stay as no one could cover (yet the director was out shopping at kmart for cushions ?!) I've called up sick - with a doctor's certificate and told i need to come in and work till they can find a cover or numbers lower. Extremly poor care of staff and when attempting to take this higher it was again 'brushed' off. The meal budget at the goodstart i last worked at was $1.67 per day per child. Yet families pay over $50 per day? And they are not for profit and don't have to pay other taxes .. you can see straight where the money is going (lining people's pockets). And that's only a few of the disgusting things to happen.

"Toxic management"

1.0
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brisbane

I worked at Goodstart Early Learning full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The children and families and friends made with staff who are in the same boat as you.

Cons

There are bullies in this company that are promoted and patted on the back by upper management. Many Area Managers that tell you that you’re just a number, that pick on the staff in the rooms while telling directors to short staff the centre to save money. Ratios aren’t adhered to and if you don’t like under roof ratios then you’ll hate working here. It’s all about budgets and the mighty dollar, not the children or staff. I left one year ago and there is only 1 staff member left in the centre I was in. They’ve all left the company in disgust. The staff turn over is huge, and new staff don’t stay as they soon realise that they’ll be expected to bend over backwards and cut corners which is horrifying. There is constant talking behind backs - constant ‘get rid of her’ speak to directors and an upper level managers insult centre staff - ‘don’t use big words to directors when you’re speaking to them as they won’t understand you.’ Insulting, nasty, bullying culture and good staff end up leaving as it’s cruel to see children suffering and crying in corners being ignored and yelled out by stressed out staff. Area Managers will never support you, instead they will point out all the shortcomings and performance manage you out, rather than provide adequate training. But then there’s useless training that you’re expected to attend after hours which could have been an email. No work life balance. But then, this company doesn’t give two hoots about its staff. It’s all about the profit for the top heavy structure.

"Has Not Changed"

2.0
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brisbane

I worked at Goodstart Early Learning part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Free uniforms and great discounts on child care fees. The Director makes the centre so a great Director = great workplace

Cons

The company may have changed names but the culture is unfortunately still toxic, in some centres. Management need to listen to employees rather than just directors and area managers

Continue reading

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 5 reviews