Goodstart Early Learning "centres" Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

Goodstart Early Learning Employee Reviews about "centres"

Updated 24 Aug 2019

Found 66 reviews

3.2
Goodstart Early Learning CEO Julia Davison
Julia Davison
Pros
  • "They also provide great professional development to Educators(in 8 reviews)

• "Loved the children, some centres are great(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "I have worked at all three centres in Melton and not one offers high quality early learning and it all filters down from management(in 8 reviews)

• "And that people in office are counted towards ratios(in 4 reviews)

Reviews about "centres"

Return to all Reviews

"A organisation that destroys innocent people"

Former Employee - Educator in Brisbane

I worked at Goodstart Early Learning part-time for more than a year

Pros

Loved the children, some centres are great. Payment good. Policies and Key Educator great.

Cons

Biased people, injust and unfair, directly unlawful investigation of matters that are reported to management. Making decision of serious misconduct based on probability, ignoring evidence and takes sides without appropriate investigation. The result is destroying innocent people's lives. The organisation and investigation report and process omits information provided by both parties in disputes.

Advice to Management

If management continues to ignore information provided by people, in regards to breach of zero harm policies, Goodstart Early Learning will continue with a bad reputiation. Before I accepted employment with Goodstart Early Learning, I have stayed away, as I had very bad experience from my practical placement. However, when sent an email encouraging me to apply for work with Goodstart Early Learning, I was willing... to believe that it could be different. Now, more than a year and a half after accepting employment with Goodstart Early Learning, casual, which lead to permanent, I know that the aim was always to destroy my life, rather than employing a dedicated, committed and caring educator.

Goodstart Early Learning2019-06-21

"Beautiful community"

Former Employee - Early Childhood Educator

I worked at Goodstart Early Learning full-time

Pros

The community at Goodstart is so great as at most childcare centres the staff are so supportive and lovely and there is lots of support for training and career progression available to staff from the management

Cons

Some financial aspects sit uncomfortably with me, the directors don't always seem to understand the needs of the rooms or the staff. There is often a feeling that our director won't stand up for us, so we need to protect eachother

Advice to Management

This is something that is quite common in the industry I think there has to be a big systemic change to fix these things

Goodstart Early Learning2019-02-01

Goodstart Early Learning Response

February 4, 2019National Lead Employee Experience

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience. We think our Goodstart community is pretty special too. It is tricky to balance all the needs in a centre and we're working on ensuring our centre directors have the skills and resources to achieve that balance for their teams, ...

"Disappointing 🤯"

Current Employee - Educational Leader in West Melbourne

I have been working at Goodstart Early Learning full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Relationships built with the children and families.

Cons

Built beautiful relationships with the staff in this certain centre. After a few years, had a big change in staffing and environment, now the environment isnt so joyful to come to, a few toxic personalities makes it very hard to spend 5 days 37.5 hours a week in, bullying is high in most centres ive been to as this is evident through the reviews on here as well as if you walk into any of the centres, it is female... dominant so it is highly expected, it would be great to have a few male teachers and directors within the environment to balance out the aura as the atmosphere itself can be intense with so many females. Used to be inspired to inspire educators as dedication and aspirations have gone out the door. Too many expectations with little help to improve quality programs within the centre. Encouraged to attend meetings, conferences and workshops but bombarded with too much work and no pay raises but very high expectations oh and the paper work! . Doesnt make sense to put extra duties but not to pay the educators and teachers extra, mind you we are also apparently cleaners too, constantly cleaning, doing the laundry, sweeping yards, taking out rubbish bins because goodstart cant afford to pay the professional cleaners to take out the bins, mopping the floors, wiping down surfaces, wiping windows, cleaning the childrens bathrooms because theres urine all over the floor, cleaning ALL the toys because the chn LOVE placing toys into their mouths and we need to ensure we stop the spread of infections and diseases/sicknesses, changing experiences, observe chns play, build great quality relationships with the chn through our interactions, feed them, cuddle them, change their diapers, wipe their noses and on top of all that folks, we need to ensure individual observations are completed, daily reflections are completed, program reflections, critical reflections and personal reflections are done!, we are interacting with the children and finding ways to extend their learning/play/development, changing experiences around, making sure the paper work is also completed such as playground checks, sunscreen checks, routines are checked oh and you also got to deal with the attitudes you get from both chn and educators .. all of this on a daily basis. Have been told if you work over your 37.5 or 38max that you will be owed it the week after n sent home early( in my entire work life as a teenager/adult the hours ive worked i have always been paid for until i begun working for this company). Ratio to children is obviously out of our control as its part of the NQS although it can be annoying when you are over ratio and theres nothing you can do besides try your best to juggle if its over 3s 12 or 13chn on your own and if its under 3s you may have 5 or 6 on your own as staff tend to call in sick frequently and is not replaced. Crazy right. Yup and thats how accidents start and they wonder why.. oh not to mention we have no benefits..you get back pain as well dont foget that but no benefits with massage discounts or physiotherapy discounts no care for our health n wellbeing what so ever... i could go on but i may make a novel out of it.... to end the cons all i can say is.... have respect for earlychildhood educators and teachers as a lot of people have no clue what our day is like. We get told we dont need a pay rise... in our eyes we feel we deserve it.

Advice to Management

If only you knew what it is like to live and breathe our role you will understand.

Goodstart Early Learning2018-11-10

Goodstart Early Learning Response

February 4, 2019National Lead Employee Experience

Thank you for taking the time to give us your honest feedback - and sorry to hear that you had a mixed experience with us. Early Learning is a highly regulated industry and there are a lot of requirements we need to meet by law, including recording children's learning and maintaining ...

4. "Goodstart has a very noble purpose"

I have been working at Goodstart Early Learning full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

A social enterprise that has children at its heart Any surplus is spent on staff development, centres and advocacy Cares about inclusion and disadvantage - Mission, the Brotherhood, SVA and Benevolent were its founders

Cons

Some centre leaders are stronger than others Some centre buildings need upgrading

Advice to Management

Keep going on the journey - we have come along way since ABC days There is still so much untapped potential

Goodstart Early Learning2017-01-15
  5. "Right person right role"

in Toowoomba

I have been working at Goodstart Early Learning for more than 3 years

Pros

There is a big focus on attracting and retaining the right person. It's not for profit so profits go back to the centres and children.

Cons

Need more casual educators.

Advice to Management

Stay the course to achieve great outcomes for children.

Goodstart Early Learning2016-12-13
  6. "Committed to leading professional development for all staff"

Current Employee - Early Childhood Teacher in Gold Coast

I have been working at Goodstart Early Learning full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Well organised and established learning and development opportunities.

Cons

Some of the centres could use a face lift.

Goodstart Early Learning2016-12-14

"Director"

Former Employee - Children's Service Worker in Sunshine West

I worked at Goodstart Early Learning full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Staff discount on childcare fees. But even this is hardly a pro when you know your child will not receive the care and attention they need from Educators due to understaffing.

Cons

The company cares only about profits. The company spends big dollars on publications and training that supports great practice but does not adequately staff centres to implement the content. Centres staff across the Building to cover ratio leaving many staff in direct supervision of children way outside the maximum legal ratio. Children are treated as potential profits and are moved around Centre rooms from day to... day to reduce required staff. Most staff know what best practice look likes but only implement it when they are going through Assessment and Rating. This company does not value the importance of the impact quality Early Education has on our children. If you voice your concerns about practices such as ensuring adequate staff to ensure quality care is only paramount to the business when they are being assessed you can be sure the company will do all that it can to silence you.

Advice to Management

Stop talking the talk and start walking it. Your company is toxic not only to the over worked floor staff but sadly to many Australian children.

Goodstart Early Learning2016-12-12

"Has Not Changed"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brisbane

I worked at Goodstart Early Learning part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Free uniforms and great discounts on child care fees. The Director makes the centre so a great Director = great workplace

Cons

The company may have changed names but the culture is unfortunately still toxic, in some centres. Management need to listen to employees rather than just directors and area managers

Advice to Management

Start acting like a not for profit organisation which puts the children first. At the moment, you are still too concerned about profits

Goodstart Early Learning2016-05-13
  9. "A looot of rooms for improvements"

Staff in Perth, Western Australia

I have been working at Goodstart Early Learning

Pros

it's supposed to be non profit so the play yards are better maintained now than the time of ABC.

Cons

some centres are better than the others. But generally, smaller centres are better than the bigger ones. Children in the bigger centres tend to get less attention and individual attention can be quite bad. The management successfully trains robots with no face of humanities. As long as following the "rules" then it's all good. No personal touch (most of the time).

Advice to Management

your management has no personal face, just robots. Some of your staffs are friendly and genuinely nice and love children. But the management team can be something else.

Goodstart Early Learning2016-03-11

"All about $$$$ NOT kids"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brisbane

I worked at Goodstart Early Learning part-time

Pros

There ISNT many. There are some LOVELY staff that just leave after a while cause of the BS that goes on. Some of the kids are lovely to look after.

Cons

POOR pay, POOR conditions, LACK of resources in many Centres, TOO MANY cover ups, LACK of support from MANY directors. EXPECTATIONS too high.

Advice to Management

CARE about your staff, instead of $$$$$' & trying to save $$$ to get your bonus. Good staff leave cause of the crap & the ones that stay are the CRAWLERS.

Goodstart Early Learning2015-06-30