Google Reviews in Mountain View, CA | Glassdoor.com.au

Google CEO Sundar Pichai
Sundar Pichai
  1. "Good for FTEs"

Former Contractor - Technical Program Manager in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google for more than a year

Pros

- Good management - Free lunch - Free commute

Cons

Different attitude towards TVC employees

Google2019-10-09
  2. "No longer a startup... still pretty good"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great people - definitely a culture of cooperation, and with lots of smart coworkers, this makes for an excellent work environment.

Cons

Bureaucracy has been over the top for a while now. The number of hoops you need to jump through to release a new project is crazy. I guess it makes sense for such a large company, but still not a great situation to be in.

Google2019-10-07
  3. "Applications Engineer"

Current Employee - Applications Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google full-time for less than a year

Pros

Very very good experience Nice environment

Cons

No cons I can think

Google2019-09-18
  4. "Get experience"

Current Contractor - Tech Support Specialist in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google for more than 3 years

Pros

Lots of tools for the job Free food and travel

Cons

Easy to get lost in the population Not much room for growth

Google2019-10-01
  5. "Great company"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

> the best there is > pays well

Cons

> too large > too complex

Google2019-09-13

"A wonderful place to work before you get too burned out"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google full-time for more than a year

Pros

Google is a truly exceptional company to work for in so many regards. From the amazing perks like unlimited food, to free transportation to work, to everything in between, the company really does have everything you could want from a benefits package.

Cons

The downside of having all of this, is that you attract the worlds best colleagues. Seemingly you would think this is a good thing, and while to a degree it is (pretty much everyone I work with is outright brilliant), the repercussions of this are far greater than you would initially assume. Imagine the most type A, overachieving folks in your old college classes. You know, the ones that will literally go way above... and beyond to do a truly exceptional job (chances are if you work at Google you were one of those folks). Now imagine only the top 1% of all of those people are in one place at the same time. Now think about what happens to the culture when you put all of those folks together and keep hiring them as your company scales. Suddenly everyone is taking on the max possible amount of work and doing the equivalent of 3 people's workload, and then that becomes the norm for everyone. And no one will ever complain about it because at the end of the day everyone wants to be a team player and never say no to a request, regardless of the time commitment. This leads to everyone working long hours, working on vacations, and even while sick. To make matters worse, your manager is probably the same way. Since Google will hire a director from another company and make them a manager at Google (because Google is so big a director's scope of work will be similar to that of a manager at Google), chances are your direct manager has the ambition of a top preforming senior leader. And while they are likely to be very nice (for example my current manager is absolutely amazing) , they will set your workload based on your peer's workload since the average assumption is that if the others on the team can do it, why can't you? Put this all together and you quickly have folks burning out left and right, and consequentially a very low average tenure for your team despite people loving their core jobs. It quite sad really because everyone I know in my Org is very happy outside of the amount of burnout they feel. Another important note is that it takes forever to get promoted at Google because regardless of how good the quality of your work is, you have to compete against colleagues who generally speaking are willing to do whatever it takes, and make any life compromise necessary to get promoted. Overall, I think Google is a well intended company, with well intended employees that sadly have fell victim to losing their own culture through scaling and hiring the best.

Advice to Management

Be consciousness of what example you are setting for your directs . It is completely okay to be ambitious and hard working, but understand that type of workflow isn't sustainable over long periods of time. Very few people want to leave the team because they are unhappy, most leave because they simply are burned out and have already given everything they can to the team. We love Google, but it has to be a team... effort to keep making it a wonderful place to work as we continue to grow.

Google2019-09-19
  7. "Very comfortable"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Google full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good salary, benefits, and resources

Cons

Not that inspiring or motivating

Google2019-09-25

"Processing job at Alphabet"

Current Employee - Processing in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Google full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pay is competitive and one can grow in industry.

Cons

There is lack of work-life balance. Sometimes i would work seven days a week.

Google2019-09-21
  9. "University Recruiter -- Contractor"

Current Contractor - University Recruiter in Mountain View, CA
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Google for more than a year

Pros

Great working environment, utilize Google benefits. Part of an incredible team

Cons

Work is repetitive, contractors are treated like second class citizens, do not get to utilize all benefits like a FTE

Google2019-09-22
  10. "All-Around Great"

Former Intern - SWE Intern in Mountain View, CA
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Google for less than a year

Pros

- The best infrastructure. Developing at Google is so easy. - Open, nice culture. I've only been there for two internships, but everyone was super easy to talk to. - Great work life balance. My manager was very understanding. - Nice perks (discounts on tickets, massages, etc.)

Cons

- It's size is also a con. Can feel like you have little impact.

Google2019-09-02