Grand Circle Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

2.3
Alan E. Lewis

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • If you use the open and courageous communication value to upper management, it better be what they want to here and nothing else (in 20 reviews)

• Call center associates are also treated like garbage compared to the rest of the company (in 23 reviews)

"Bad Experience"

I worked at Grand Circle full-time

Pros

Lots of Travel, good salary, lots of different cultures in the workplace

Cons

No personal life, ridiculous team building retreats, values they ram down your throat but can't abide by (management)

Advice to Management

Value your team more

"Vast potential, horribly mismanaged"

Former Employee - Manager in Boston, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Manager in Boston, MA (US)

I worked at Grand Circle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This company is a cash cow. It's product is packaging tours and doing it an way that is incredibly successful. By owning their own ships, they're able to cut out the middle man and offer trips that are actually a great value for what they are. Their target audience is older people, who also have the time and money to take the trips and they are incredibly loyal customers; they also obviously have no idea how poorly managed the company is, nor how morally challenged and despicable the owner is. To his credit, the owner/president, does give away a lot of money to charity (I know they were among the top 20 in charitable donations in 2016). However, the people who actually help him make all of that money get very little love for the work that that they do. For people who are willing to do whatever it takes go get ahead, there is an opportunity to go far, with people often receiving promotions and pay raises on a whim. In fact, the pay can be so good that people find it hard to leave. The company somehow manages to hire really nice people, which proves that there's no shortage of people eager to get into the travel industry, especially when the starting pay and benefits are so attractive. The bottom line is, the company is a revolving door, but makes so much money that no matter how crazy the owner is, it keeps on going, hiring and firing and making ever more money.

Cons

The flip side of working in an environment which is essentially a one-man show, is that once you get in, you soon realize how important it is to stay on the good side of his royal highness. If you don't, you won't last for very long, and can basically kiss your job goodbye. Once slighted, retribution is swift. I remember the moment things changed for me: I'd been at Grand Circle for a full year and doing a fantastic job (something my former boss can't deny). However, one fateful day I lost my composure and was gone within a week. They way it happened: the big boss was coming down the stairs at the same time that I was. No big deal. Perhaps trying to be friendly and attempting to demonstrate camaraderie or approval, he put his hand on my shoulder as we rounded the first landing. Although I found that very unsettling, it got really creepy when his hand suddenly moved up to the back of my neck, squeezing the nape of my neck between his thumb and forefinger, probably in some attempt to "massage" me. But it just felt really strange, and as we reached the next landing I was so freaked out that I momentarily lost my bearings, and mistook the door at the next landing for my own floor (where I'd normally get off). Noticing my mistake, he asked, "where are you going?" and I mumbled sheepishly about needing to ask someone something, but could see by the look on his face that he was clearly insulted. Unfortunately, I was too tongue-tied to t know what to say, so I just left him standing there. However, I went home that evening and told my wife that I was sure my days were numbered. Sure enough, it didn't take a week before he started insulting me publicly (e.g. at an update meeting where he implied that I wasn't doing my job, and demanding stats which actually did support the fact that I was doing an amazing job). He then started badgering my boss to fire me, so no surprise when a few days later I was given my severance package and shown the door with two week's severance.

Advice to Management

Please just sell the company to someone who could make this company a truly great place to work.

"Ugh"

Former Employee - Agent in Boston, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Agent in Boston, MA (US)

I worked at Grand Circle full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

training is very on point, and is great at helping to determine if the job is for you or not.
    The managers are always willing to help out and teach you.
    The benefits, and general perks are pretty decent.
    Travel perks within & without the company are good.

Cons

Scheduling is all over the place, and is put up for an auction-like bid quarterly. Very hard to balance life & work.
    Push “promote from within” as a perk, but don’t mention it’s a mandatory promotion usually.
    Mandatory overtime. They of course make sure you’re okay with mandatory OT when you start, but after 6 straight months of it, it gets OLD.
    Unless you’re friends with the higher ups, don’t expect to go anywhere.
    If you talk back to the CEO, he will physically throw you out of the building. Super professional.

Advice to Management

Get more staff, or expect to lose the ones you have. The politics in that place is enough to make your head spin.

"Thinking of joining? Think twice."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at Grand Circle full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Comp and Benefits are the only pro.

Cons

The Chairman/CEO, Alan Lewis, does not practice what he preaches about leadership, integrity, respecting one another, and empowerment. One of the values is "open and courageous communications". That is only true if it is exactly what he wants. It's a trait lost on them, starting at the very top. The leadership team is terrified of Alan, so they bend to whatever he needs to keep their jobs because he pays them so well. There's no HR support and no integrity throughout the groups.
    What you get here is an unhinged CEO who acts like a 5 year old if he doesn't get his way. You are not empowered for any decision and the leadership team does not stand up to him, or advocate for any employee who does.

Advice to Management

Alan needs to retire and a new CEO needs to come on board with a fresh perspective, ready to do a clean sweep of employees who offer no value. If he can't separate himself from the business, he needs to stop micromanaging and abusing employees with his bizarre behaviors and actions. It's a complete waste of everyone's time. It sucks the life out of employees, fosters anxiety, and creates a high stress work environment. It's demotivating. Select the right people to lead your companies and give them the room they need to get the job done.

6. "Good benefits"

I worked at Grand Circle full-time

Pros

good benefits, coworkers, 9-5 job so you can have your personal life etc

Cons

the computer systems is old

Advice to Management

none

7. "Worldwide contracting manager"

Former Employee - Worldwide Contractor in Ho Chi Minh City (Vietnam)
    Former Employee - Worldwide Contractor in Ho Chi Minh City (Vietnam)

I worked at Grand Circle full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Prople is number 1 with great team work

Cons

Approval process was taken so long

Advice to Management

Need to focus in faster approval process

"AVOID THIS COMPANY"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Boston, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Boston, MA (US)

I worked at Grand Circle full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Health benefits and time off

Cons

The CEO is the biggest issue for in this company and he runs it like a 5 year old having a temper tamptrum and changes his mind every other minute. People are promoted and given jobs that have no experience for and are expected to conform to his wishes. If I could give this company a zero rating I would. This company feeds on negative feedback and management lives on it. It is true in the remarks below that this CEO got physical with a former employee and if this is the company you want to work for go right ahead. The call center has been doing mandatory overtime for over a year now (because they keep firing employees)but do not worry your supervisors and management don’t have to join you since they are salary. Oh, let’s not forgot even though we had an OUTSTANDING YEAR, and unpressidented numbers why the ceo is holding back our bonus since we are loosing money. Take my advice no pro is worth working here.

Advice to Management

Grow balls and stand up to the 5 year old.

"Nothing is worth it"

I have been working at Grand Circle full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good coworkers are really the only thing

Cons

15+ years. Only come to work for this place if you like being made to feel stupid and belittled by upper management regardless of how good you know your job or perform it. They will only seek to find the negative and tell you do do more. If your a woman over 30 forget it. You’re past your prime and you won’t last long. Another reviewer had it right the owner acts like he’s 5 throwing temper tantrums and refusing to pay his associates what they deserve not because we are loose money but because he hasn’t lined his pockets with enough. Record year made the levels for bonuses, get half in an attempt to improve moral after physically assaulting and associate, but finds excuses not to pay the other half.

Advice to Management

Learn to be actual leaders that build their associates up not tear them down

10. "Gem"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at Grand Circle full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I feel the company offers much more than other: casual environment, learn about travel. Bringing in good leaders, trying to change call center. Great benefits.

Cons

I don't have many. It is a profitable company that is good to its employees. Many people here just do not realize how good they have it...as many have not worked other places

Advice to Management

Keep the pace. Reward great leaders.

"Great Co-workers, A terrible boss"

Former Employee - Travel Agent in Boston, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Travel Agent in Boston, MA (US)

I worked at Grand Circle (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits are great, travel deals are abundant for employees

Cons

Job Metrics or performance standards are constantly changing and if you don't change quick you will be fired. The company owner has no empathy for the people who keep the company running