Grand Circle Travel Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

Updated 13 April 2019

2.3
Alan E. Lewis

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Casual dress code, nice are in Boston to work" (in 16 reviews)

• "The travel benefits are outstanding" (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • "Company values of Open and Courageous Communication and Risk Taking are lip server" (in 21 reviews)

• "Roles outside of the Call Center have more freedom/flexibility" (in 26 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great people, great benefits and grateful for the experience!"

I have been working at Grand Circle Travel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have had a very positive experience since joining Grand Circle Travel more than a year ago. I have a great manager and enjoy the people that I work with who are extremely nice, hardworking, and passionate about what they do. The company offers generous benefits which include health, dental and vision, transit and parking subsidies, 401K with a match program, tuition reimbursement, casual dress code, travel benefits, and much more. One of the unique benefits here is the Wellness Program, including an onsite gym. Through the Wellness Program employees can participate in onsite Yoga, Reiki, Meditation and have access to a full-time Wellness coach who is amazing and inspirational. We work hard, but we also get to play hard and enjoy fun things like summer BBQ’s, departmental celebrations, and the annual holiday party. The company motto is “We help change people’s lives” which is evident not only by our traveler’s testimonies but also by the Community Service work that is done both locally in and around Boston and globally. Grand Circle employees are able to participate in monthly events that help to give back to the local community and through the Grand Circle Foundation, the company is very generous in giving time and money to the underserved and underprivileged communities around the world. I am very proud to work for a company that does so much good in the world and that truly helps to change people’s lives.

Cons

I have no cons to express at this time.

"Manager"

I worked at Grand Circle Travel full-time

Pros

Salary is industry leading and travel is extensive

Cons

Recruited for your skills and knowledge of industry, however paid on your ability to conform to demands of owner (disguised as living the company values 😉)

Advice to Management

Management doesn’t need any advice, they are all smart enough to get what they need from the company. Based on revenue travellers love the brand. So effectively owner is running a very successful business.

"Typical American Company"

I have been working at Grand Circle Travel (More than a year)

Pros

your co-workers are amazing to work with

Cons

Working in a regional office, we have no control of how to run our region and feel like there is too much red tape. Company changes their mind like they change their underwear and expect every vendor to jump up and down for them. They certainly know how to not build vendor relationships.

4. "All and all Decent."

Former Employee - Traveler Support in Boston, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Traveler Support in Boston, MA (US)

I worked at Grand Circle Travel full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good benefits- Such as wellness program, gym in the basement, commuter plan, PTO
    Great Coworkers- You really do get to interact and work with great people here at GCT, but it can be a "every man for them selves" type of attitude here
    Great Location- Right in the seaport district..about a 5min walk from SS, with great restaurants, coffee shops and bars to go to or just to walk and explore on a nice day..
    Management and supervisors are pretty great- With the right ambition, you can work your way up, but it does take a while.

Cons

Where to begin? All of the former reviews are true. The environment can be good, but the call center department really is treated differently compared to everyone else in the company. The call center can be a lot to take in and effect your personal or work/life balance. Mandatory overtime. Constant shift bids that comes with multiple different schedules . Everyone is ranked against eachother and everyone can see those numbers including their post call surveys. The system they use is old and odd. GCT is def not in the 21st century. The constant changes can be a lot as well, especially when there is a cancelled tour. Also, the clientle base that GCT can be a bit rude and ruthless..Overall the work life balance isnt the greatest, it effected me the most out of all the jobs i've had yet. Not really worth it.

"Know what your getting yourself into"

Current Employee - Travel Counselor in Boston, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Travel Counselor in Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at Grand Circle Travel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Solid base pay, plenty of hours and some really great benefits. The culture is not as bad as people make it out to be. It's sales and your job is to sell. It's metrics based and you're going to be measured based on your metrics and percentages, but also on your values. You must live and breath the values.

Cons

The values can really work in your benefit, and in theory they make a really great work environment. This however, is not the case when dealing with members of upper management. This is a huge miss, and really makes it difficult sometimes. Things are always changing, and not always for the better. The commission plan changed every few months in 2018, and 2019 is off to a bad start.

Advice to Management

TRC Managment- Keep up the good work
    Non TRC Managment- Get your act together, learn how to treat people like human beings, and stop blaming the call center for your lack of organization and follow through. Own your own mistakes

6. "Fast paced working environment"

I have been working at Grand Circle Travel full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get what you put in. High volume of work and plenty of opportunity to optimize. A great place to learn.

Cons

building is a tad old and could use office renovation. also could use more meeting/conference spaces.

7. "A fast-paced, never boring place to work and you get to travel!"

I have been working at Grand Circle Travel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, great business model-if you work hard, you are rewarded. The Associate Travel benefits are AMAZING! Company sponsors fun activities and the building and neighborhood are cool.

Cons

I have no Cons yet!

Advice to Management

Keep listening to your employees and switch gears when needed.

"Toxic micro-management"

Former Employee - Marketing in Boston, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Marketing in Boston, MA (US)

I worked at Grand Circle Travel full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A few really nice people, a gym in the basement, free apples.

Cons

Completely made-up rankings; absolutely no transparency; hypocritical values (for example, they value feedback but when I actually made a recommendation, they told me "You have nothing to say here since you're new"); no support or on-the-job training; senseless marketing directions; and overall, just a bunch of followers who do exactly what the crazy CEO demands.

Advice to Management

Invest in your new hires and don't just toss them out! Stop this high turnover, it's absolute nonsense.

9. "Tour Leading"

Former Employee - Program Director in Warsaw (Poland)
    Former Employee - Program Director in Warsaw (Poland)

I worked at Grand Circle Travel (Less than a year)

Pros

travel explore communicate deliver progress

Cons

Time table over hours picky costumers

"Crazy Owner with abusive management style"

Former Employee - Prefer Not to Say in Boston, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Prefer Not to Say in Boston, MA (US)

I worked at Grand Circle Travel full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Travel benefits
    Clearly defined company values
    Young, fun coworkers

Cons

Owner has an abusive management style
    In every department there is a focus on rankings to the detriment of morale
    It is easy to rank based on objective goals (sales numbers etc.) but rankings are often based on subjective performance which creates a culture of favorites.

Advice to Management

Ranking employees for the purposes of firing low performers ignores the possibility of having a small, well-functioning team comprised of individuals who ALL meet expectations. For a company to expect so much loyalty it is very disheartening to see long-time employees fired for little to no cause, just because they drop in the completely made-up rankings.