Grubhub Customer Service Specialist Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

Grubhub CEO Matt Maloney
Matt Maloney

"Customer service specialist"

I worked at Grubhub full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

nice benefits, stock shares, medical insurance.

Cons

It was a great company before the change of management. Now you get micromanaged and can't breathe.

Advice to Management

Stop micro managing people. Let the staffs breathe.

Grubhub2017-05-31

"Now the truth from a management point of view."

I worked at Grubhub full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great location, Nice building on the outside, great commute.

Cons

Lack of functional leadership, Lack of communication from senior management to management and supervisors/leads, No real culture, No real social gatherings for understanding of cultural backgrounds.

Advice to Management

Learn how to be great leaders and not dictate from a far, listen to your supervisors and managers who are on the front line and make the changes as needed based on the information given. Everything isn't based on money some people actually love what they do.

Grubhub2017-02-28

"Customer care"

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Chicago, IL

I worked at Grubhub full-time for less than a year

Pros

Awesome coworkers and management. Food credit every week. Catering and occasional team outings. Prizes and gifts. No dress code. Laid back environment.

Cons

Pay is below average, no work life balance, the technology is horrible. High turnover. They didn't pay me my last check.

Advice to Management

The managers in customer care were great. However the corporate level is horrible. They need complete restructure at the corporate level. They have no clue what they are doing. The company has gotten too large for them to handle.

Grubhub2016-12-28

"It's an alright job."

I have been working at Grubhub full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

If you are the sort of person that thrives under chaos and constant change you'll do well here!

Cons

Changes aren't always communicated and many of the systems are a good ten years old. You can tell.

Advice to Management

Transparency, transparency, transparency! Far too many decisions are handed down with no reasons or explanations why.

Grubhub2016-01-03

"Simple Job"

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Chicago, IL

I worked at Grubhub part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great environment. Very laid back, cool employees. Nice perks for working there. The job is easy.

Cons

A lot of part-time employees got sold a dream in training of "eventually" going full time when the company was actually just intent on only hiring 2 part time folks to fill one full time position. Not too sure if that was to avoid employee benefits but its not like this is a struggling company here. Also certain managers were useless.

Advice to Management

Be clear to new hires so proper expectations will be set.

Grubhub2015-08-17

"good benefits"

I have been working at Grubhub full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good benefits package overtime available fast growing. Large availability of hours. Free food

Cons

Some managers have favorites. Policies change consistently. Raises not performance based.

Advice to Management

Consistency. More transparency in tegards to changing policies. Work on getting better systems in place and try more testing of new policies before they become a companywide standard.

Grubhub2015-05-02

"not pleasant the life at a call center"

Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Grubhub part-time for less than a year

Pros

Time flexible.Part time late at night that makes it easy for me to go to university during daytime. Casual dress code.Great concept and culture. I will myself order at GrubHub if I had the chance.

Cons

Outbound calls. They will measure your performance since the first ring. Focus is on tickets.Management sucks . Supervisor all they want is to show off and make you feel bad when you are not handling the expected amount of tickets. It is extremely unprofessional the way supervisors act, no wonder this company is always hiring. When you go to training they tell you is all about Customer Service. Once you hit the... floor if you had no previous experience working at a call center you probably want to focus on Customer Service instead of tickets (Wrong).,,,all they care is about tickets and without further notice or letting you know they will pick on you in a way that makes them look better and you bad.In front of all your coworkers they will let you know why you are so low in tickets, and basically what is the problem with you.They compare you with another employee who has making a living out of a call center for an extended period of time. They not even give you the chance to improve or communicate their goals to you and then go from that. They just want to boss you and make you feel you're doing wrong. Supervisors tell you one day to do one thing and then other the next day. Lots , Lots and lots of inconsistencies. This place is hiring all year round( no wonder).

Advice to Management

If you want employees to help you meet your goals(tickets), communicate to them your expectations. Do not wait until you have some stats to show off and make employees feel bad especially if they are new hires with no previous experience at a call center. Be more professional and stop being so selfish and show off your bossy qualities. I had no previous experience working at a call center. I went to training and... they told me is all about customer service. We want you to spend time with the customer because is about customer service. Do not waste the money of GrubHub sending people to a training that is totally inconsistent with reality. At least after training be upfront and communicate to your employees what your expectations are instead of waiting to get stats and make ridicule our of an employee. Management is extremely unprofessional.

Grubhub2015-01-03

"I love my job"

I have been working at Grubhub full-time for more than a year

Pros

The culture is very laid back. No one hovering over your shoulders micro managing. Great people, free coffee and they feed us pretty often. As long as you come to work and give quality service, your all good.

Cons

There is a shift bid every quarter. You can be ranked at #6 one week but if you call off or late , you're dropped to #35 the next day. Very frustrating when you want to have a life outside of your job. Its definitely not a 9-5. But a great work place!!!

Advice to Management

Seniority and Q/A should be a higher percentage on the shift bid.

Grubhub2014-07-12

"Fun place - but pay and hours suck"

I have been working at Grubhub full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lots of free lunch, can surf the internet and watch movies at your desk during downtime, great downtown location, fun place to work.

Cons

-Customer Service Specialist do not have their own desk. Having to come in and wonder where you are going to sit is a nuisance. -Other departments act like customer service are low lifes and turn their noses up to us while walking in the hallways or in the elevators. -We have great skills and talents in customer service, but managers in other departments refuse to interview or hire us because the think... customer service specialists are inadequate. -There is only advancement in our own department and it is VERY political. -If you don't smile and drink and party with the click, don't even think about getting promoted. -The shift bids are UNFAIR! I can be a great worker, but if i call out sick because I am genuinely sick, I get penalize and end up with a crappy shift. -The same nutball gets the same shift every quarter and he makes so many mistakes. But because he's old and friendly, he doesn't have the same rules as everyone else. -You have managers in customer service that do nothing but talk and laugh all day. Why do we have so many incompetent managers? -They pay is very low.

Advice to Management

Stop the politics. Recognize good people with more than just a card or statue. Provide a culture that is company - wide. For shift bids, stop being so strict on attendance. It's unfair for good workers to be penalized when the are sick. You are advocating sick people coming to work to make other people sick. I know, I've done it just so I can keep a day time shift and watched others who sit at my desk when I... leave get sick and then spread their germs to others. And I'm NOT the only one. Have your manages do more work besides talking, laughing and walking around all day (and especially at night and especially when its busy.) As you grow, please remember that it was the customer service team that really made GrubHub stand out above all the rest.

Grubhub2013-09-26

"Updated Review : Quality Assurance Is An Unjust Boondoggle"

Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist

I have been working at Grubhub full-time for more than a year

Pros

If you have any time between calls you can surf the internet. -There is a company lunch twice a month. - Each shift bid which can last 3-4 months you are assigned a manager and sometimes the manager takes you out on a team outing or provides food at the team meeting. -The office space is really nice and located in the loop next to lots of public transportation. - Job comes with benefits. -Paid lunch period -... You don't have to wear a uniform - You can use your phone - You can surf the internet.

Cons

Quality Assurance grants low scores for no GOOD reason. They make up new rules so that they can mark you off if you don't do something that is really unnecessary. For example if someone calls in to check on the status of their order and you say "I can check on that for you." they mark you off for it. What is the "correct" thing to say is "I can check on the status of your order." So they are essentially marking you... off for using pronouns instead of nouns. This is even if you handle the issue correctly and the customer is satisfied with the call. If this rule wasn't so ridiculous I would comply. The fact that it didn't used to be this way is what angers me. Also, the fact you are being marked off for something so trivial is crazy. This is not the only thing that I hate about Quality Assurance. The whole quality assurance department can be used as a mechanism for molding people's schedules. If people are scoring too highly then they will naturally deserve better schedules. However if they score low then you can make them work whenever you want. This is not right at all. I have been super depressed this bid because of this. If this is the way this department is going I am going to jump ship. This is just too many hoops to jump through for such low pay.

Advice to Management

Stand up for your employees. Don't throw them under the bus just because you want to keep your job.

Grubhub2013-10-20