Grubhub Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

Updated 16 Oct 2019

3.1
Grubhub CEO Matt Maloney
Matt Maloney

"Ok but be mindful of what you are getting into."

Former Employee - Senior Partner Trainer in Chicago, IL
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Grubhub full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits some of the best I have ever had. Awesome co-workers, a great benefit when it comes to food choices.

Cons

Hmm, where do I start? Leadership- Poor overall just poor. It finally took Grubhub some time and realized that having two tyrant leaders manage the care department into the ground. Many leaders have left to seek better opportunities where companies value their opinion and they are treated & compensated fairly. Communication- Poor. It really was sad that a company this large does not communicate across... departments. There were countless of times when I would find out about a new update from product the day before it launched. Then my expectation was to create a training in just one day to be used by not only the Care GH employees but our partner agents as well? I would say that the month of December was horrible for me. My peer and I were given an unrealistic goal of re-writing the entire Customer Care Training in just one month. Mind this you this consisted of about 30 modules. We each averaged a module-two a day. Culture- Ok but please GH, EDUCATE your other departments about Care. It really hurts when you pour your soul into a company and the department just to hear other departments call you lazy, incompetent and overall not needed. There were countless of times at LPF's (GH sponsored social events) that non-Care employees would make comments about my department. In one instance I told a salesperson that they should really visit us and work a shift in Care to really appreciate what we do for the company! This was ONE major reason why I left. I really did not like that GH would ignore this and turn a blind eye. This is another reason why you are losing good employees here. Also, to try to get out of Care was a nightmare. Just trying to interview for other positions outside of Care felt like you were at a disadvantage because you worked in that department. For a company who values development, they really are lacking in the empowerment for Care.

Advice to Management

Educate other departments, hire professional leaders, hire the right people.

Grubhub2019-07-16
  2. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Operations Specialist

I have been working at Grubhub full-time

Pros

Lots of Benefits Great workplace and environment

Cons

Growth availability seems stagnant unless you're in their main hubs

Grubhub2019-06-12
  3. "Fun place to work"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Grubhub full-time for less than a year

Pros

Very fun place to work. Cool culture

Cons

Can be stressful working here at times

Grubhub2019-06-11

"Great place to work...flexible work hours"

Current Employee - Senior Data Analyst

I have been working at Grubhub full-time for more than a year

Pros

I get bored or sleepy and sometimes leave for hours (run errands, take naps, etc)... A complete non issue at this firm.

Cons

A lot of the other employees eat so early that there is almost nothing left by the time I get back from my mid-day siesta.

Grubhub2019-06-06

"Seemed like an awesome job"

Current Employee - Operations Specialist in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Grubhub full-time for less than a year

Pros

Food, okay benefits, pretty cool colleagues, easy job

Cons

Mediocre training, leadership has no real skills, leadership lacks communication with team, micro-aggressions, leadership clearly has no trust or faith in team

Advice to Management

Talk to your team like they are people. Why hire employees you don’t trust?

Grubhub2019-06-18

"Started great..turned into a sad disappointment"

I worked at Grubhub full-time

Pros

Passionate employees, potential to be the best, flexible work hours

Cons

Sales is a frat house, diversity is non-existent Director level and above, C suite is completely disconnected from the everyday business, chaos to catch up as opposed to being innovative, soooooo slow to build anything b/c the tech/product teams keep getting derailed and are understaffed

Advice to Management

Get an actual CEO, not a founder, #bringzabuskyback. Actually listen to your stakeholders. Live your values, you created them for a reason. Share knowledge more so when people quit there is someone else to pick up the pieces. Celebrate hard work, people are fighting battles for you day in and day out with little to no recognition. Learn to be humble and admit when you screw up.

Grubhub2019-07-09

"Directionless, clueless, careless"

Former Employee - Care Trainer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Grubhub full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Office culture is pleasant. A majority of the people I worked with were some of the nicest and most intelligent people. Matt's email re: the 2016 election made me feel safe. Matt seems genuinely interested in his staff and is very visible.

Cons

Upper management lacks any emotional intelligence. They do not care about any of their employees or their development. My boss continued to get development opportunities and left our team floundering. On top of that, our team was without a manager for four months before hiring someone who has no experience in a call center or tech company. Managers frequently pass other, lower level employees work off as their own.... My last year was miserable due to the fact that members of my team left, and no one replaced them for months, and still weren't replaced upon my time ending there. Compensation is a joke, in which I did not receive a raise for 3 years, instead getting RSUs which were worth nothing by the end of my employment and created more of a tax liability for me. When approaching my manager about this, they were surprised and said they would do something about this. Upon talking to other members of my team, this was the reaction that was given to everyone, so it really wasn't a surprise, it was just blatant inaction. Sales and tech teams are completely unapproachable, rude, and in often cases drunk. Alcohol flows through these teams like it's water. The sales/tech division is one big frat party that treats the office like it's a playground. They do not prioritize their work, often delaying deployment of products for months, sometimes years, and then pushing out a rush product with no regard for any other team's work load or deadline. Example: product launches would happen without any notice, causing multiple teams to scramble to document it's go live. HR is also very unapproachable and moves slowly to correct issues that are raised. An abusive manager was allowed to work at the company for long after complaints were escalated, and then when said manager retaliated, no action was taken. Homophobic remarks were made to me by management and little if any action was taken. This company treats it's employees like it's publicly traded, but treats it's customers like it's a start up. Their "values" have not scaled with the company's growth and still behaves like it's one big party. There is no trajectory for what the company wants to become, there is no investment in it's people. Attrition is alarmingly high. GrubHub will fail if it continues to pour money into growing rather than investing in strengthening it's internal teams. Abusive employees, no matter how effective at their role, need to be removed. Competency needs to be questioned with members of management.

Advice to Management

Stop behaving like this is a tech startup. This is a service company now with the delivery venture it has embarked on, and it needs to be treated as such. Focus on customers and your employees more than buying every bit of competition around you. Hire competent people, not just "good culture fits." Be transparent with your staff.

Grubhub2019-07-09

"OK job"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Grubhub full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great company culture, happy hours, free food all the time including $30/wk to spend on Grubhub, laid back atmosphere, good location

Cons

Zero professionalism. Almost all employees are young and there’s a lot of drama. Certain people can get away with anything and there are no fair standards. Territories can make or break your paycheck and competitors are making it a very tough sell. Grubhub does not adjust their business model accordingly to help with competitors passing us in the market. If you think you’ll ever get promoted, you won’t. Stock has... went down over 50%, and although we do get RSUs, we’ve lost so much of them and you have to wait 4 years to vest. High turnover rate makes it difficult to feel stable.

Advice to Management

Professionalize the place. Make fair standards and stop letting certain people get away with things that nobody else can.

Grubhub2019-06-08

"Sinking Ship"

Current Employee - Sales Executive

I have been working at Grubhub full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great Benefits. Good work/life balance.

Cons

Pay structure changes all the time, most of the sales reps have quit and moved on. There are no chances of getting a promotion or career advancement, they hire the management externally. Company is on desperate mode with stocks down over 60%.

Grubhub2019-06-05
  10. "Amazing place to work and grow!"

Current Employee - Manager, Restaurant Network in Chandler, AZ

I have been working at Grubhub full-time for less than a year

Pros

Work/Life balance Industry Leader Deeply developed solution Well managed Positive environment Strong training program Opportunity for advancement and growth Safe environment Strong team spirit in the office

Cons

There are no cons in life, visualize what you want, and go for it!

Advice to Management

Thanks for working so hard to promote the growth of the company and giving us an amazing place to grow and succeed.

Grubhub2019-05-25