Guidewire Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

4.3
Guidewire CEO Marcus Ryu
Marcus Ryu

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Good career opportunities, good work/life balance" (in 117 reviews)

• "Need to work from home for something" (in 30 reviews)

"Architect"

Current Employee - Architect in Sydney
    Current Employee - Architect in Sydney

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Guidewire have an excellent on-boarding program and show a real commitment to ensuring that their people have a good solid understanding of the application before putting them in front of a customer. They really want to give you everything they can to make you successful.

There is a great culture within the organisation and everyone I have met really buys into the company culture. You really can feel that culture with all the people you meet from around the world and it helps to make you feel part of a great organisation.

Everyone is very friendly, supportive and willing to help.

Great products using a lot of the latest technology and lots of opportunities to grow and develop your career.

Cons

Travel is a requirement Mon-Thurs each week if you are on a project outside of your home town. This can be tough but you are made very aware of the requirements when applying for the job. You need to be prepared to do the travel.

Advice to Management

Really focus on maintaining the culture as the company grows quickly, it is easy to lose focus.

2. "wonderful place to work"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Sydney
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Sydney

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Collegiate environment, where rationality and integrity are highly valued and recognised personal traits. Very clear strategy, well expressed throughout the company. Competent and accessible senior management. Wonderful customer base.

Cons

The consensus and collegiate approach to decision making can sometimes be frustrating, but is nothing compared to the inertia of other places I have worked.

Advice to Management

lets keep doing what we do, please...

3. "Talented people who work hard"

I have been working at Guidewire full-time

Pros

Great career opportunities, company full of smart talented people that work as a team, implementation projects that use world class software. Company values are embodied at all levels and not something that is merely written down.

Cons

Significant travel requirements in professional services makes work life balance difficult but balanced by 4 day onsite 1 day offsite schedule.

Advice to Management

Maintain the culture that has served Guidewire well to date.

"Good place to work at"

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The professional services organization is choc-a-block with competent professionals. New employees quickly get up to speed because they have a lot of one on one interaction with the more senior staff. You learn a lot and you learn it very quickly

Cons

Work-Life balance suffers because of the amount of travel you may need to do in the professional services organization.

"Transformation Talk Series: Part 5"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Guidewire full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My immediate colleagues and I were empowered and encouraged to make an industry changing product.

Personally, I'm a huge fan of the CEO. I always enjoyed his eloquent well worded essay emails which clearly articulated his decisions.

Cons

I've created a unordered list of my opinions:
    * Dealing with tyrannical upper management additions in development and human resources
    * Being subject to transformation by cannibalism
    * Being treated as an expendable resource by upper management
    * Political games and superiority complexes
    * Being stifled by financial bureaucracy using the approved platform
    * Coddling poor technical decisions from 10 years ago, dragging down the velocity of all projects

Advice to Management

Get back to your original ideals and serve the industry while behaving with integrity, rationality and collegiality.

6. "Senior software engineer in cloud and big data"

Pros

Good word balance at guidewire

Cons

Less salary compared with other company

"In-Secure place to work"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Foster City, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Foster City, CA (US)

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

* Moving towards Cloud
    * Latest Technologies
    * Good work life balance and compensation

Cons

* Top down management
    * Employees transferred to teams without proper discussion
    * HR bends towards management instead of analyzing real issue.

Advice to Management

Company direction and vision is good but not transparent

"Managers and workers"

I have been working at Guidewire full-time

Pros

- Non-salary benefits are reasonable
    - Great peers. Very knowledgeable and easy to work with

Cons

- Poor communication from management. Re-structure without a strategy -- still figuring it out. We're threatened that if we question the solution, "we are going to have problems."
    - Too many rules; too many exceptions to those rules (some are more equal)
    - Penny pinching. We don't have the tools to do our job. Saving money by having us do more work.

Advice to Management

- Stop listening to outsiders that tell you how to run a business; don't imitate also-rans. GWRE is unique in trying to make customers successful.
    - Promote from within
    - Solve real problems
    - I like our values. But we're in danger of losing them.

"Consultant"

Current Employee - Consultant in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)
    Current Employee - Consultant in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Guidewire offices are clean, have a casual atmosphere, and employees are provided with free snacks and drinks.
    - Management encourages and facilitates employees to progress their professional and leadership skills with clear career paths outlined.
    - Employees have control over their own career path with a lot of internal opportunities available.
    - Guidewire is solving important and complex problems with their products and services.
    - There are office based positions or 80% travel based positions.

Cons

- Methodologies are sometimes outdated and it can be difficult to change the internal status quo.

Advice to Management

Review project methodologies and processes more frequently and give the development teams on the ground level more of a voice in this area.

10. "Ongoing review"

Current Employee - Senior Implementation Consultant in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Senior Implementation Consultant in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Overall a positive experience. Guidewire has a friendly culture, and management is dedicated in helping staff grow. Pay and benefits are not bad, and I find the projects interesting.

Insurance won't cure cancer, but at some stage it may very well cover for the treatment that does. Having the chance to deliver software to help insurers reduce operating costs and improve user experience, all while working with and learning from very talented people, is, on its own terms, a satisfying and enriching experience.

There's a big focus on work-life balance, as well as promoting a healthy lifestyle. Guidewire won't pay for massages, but they will offer you health insurance and make a physio available for you at the office.

Cons

I think Guidewire grew too much too fast, and, like most tech companies these days, is struggling to find all the talent it needs. Here and there you will find the occasional manager who is not as good as he should be, and you can expect having to teach design patterns to some of the junior staff.

On the upside, some poor management means there's opportunity for climbing that ladder, and teaching junior devs can be a gratifying experience as well.

As far as cons go, these are actually pretty decent ones to have.

Advice to Management

Upper management should try to mingle with staff a bit more. It seems like upper management deals almost exclusively with middle management - you may be missing out on the opportunity to promote some great talent on the lower levels.