HOYTS "movie tickets" Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

HOYTS Employee Reviews about "movie tickets"

Updated 6 Nov 2019

3.7
HOYTS CEO Damian Keogh (no image)
Damian Keogh
Pros
  • "Great culture and perks such as 50c movie tickets, movie screenings, office vents etc(in 17 reviews)

• "You get to see free movies and eat popcorn(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "Head office is strict on payroll(in 5 reviews)

• "No existen los fines de semana, los horarios son completamente rotativos(in 5 reviews)

Reviews about "movie tickets"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Great place to work."

Current Intern - Intern

I have been working at HOYTS for more than a year

Pros

Great office environment where I've learnt a number of skills relevant to my degree and chosen field. The people are friendly and generous with their time and knowledge. Great culture and perks such as 50c movie tickets, movie screenings, office vents etc.

Cons

N/A, as there are no areas of my employment I view as negative.

HOYTS2019-09-17
  2. "Kind of dodgy but chill"

Current Employee - Crew Member in Sydney

I have been working at HOYTS part-time for more than a year

Pros

Managers are mostly nice Flexible schedule Work not very difficult $2 Movie Tickets

Cons

The 'back' area etc is very dirty Training is mediocre and not paid attention to Phones, POS, etc malfunction a lot Not much info handed out/disorganised management

Advice to Management

I would recommend they up their game when dealing with new employees. At the beginning they accidentally put my super in the wrong fund, I couldn't access my payslips, I didn't know how to tell them I wasn't available for a shift, I didn't know to be paid for sick leave we needed a doctor's note. A lot of stuff is slightly dodgy such as inputting a promo popcorn tin (more expensive) when the customer didn't buy it... just to meet targets. Mild/severe rat problem. People steal food all the time. The usual. Lol.

HOYTS2019-11-06

"Unfair"

Former Employee - Cinema Worker

I worked at HOYTS part-time for less than a year

Pros

Cheap movie tickets and discounted popcorn

Cons

They don’t allow you to cancel your shift even if you give advance notice. If you have an exam or SAC the next day they won’t allow you to cancel a shift to study. They are only flexible for their own benefit. Most businesses understand this works both ways.

Advice to Management

Somebody is going to take this further, think about how you treat your staff. Fairwork should get involved.

HOYTS2019-06-14
  4. "good benefits, poor employee relations"

Current Employee - Cinema Worker

I have been working at HOYTS part-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Really good benefits in regards to movie tickets and candy bar items, thought restrictions often placed on these

Cons

Poor effort in keeping employees happy and willing to stay on Management encourage high turn overs, try to squeeze out older staff Very little inconsistency in company policy, always changing. Never communicated effectively with staff who then suffer as a result

HOYTS2019-06-03
  5. "Crew Member"

Former Employee - Crew Member in Melbourne
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at HOYTS part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great monitored training. Monitored KPIs enables you to track your individual progress. Fast paced environment. Cheap movie tickets. Big team so it's nice to talk to someone new every-time you come to work. Good first job or if you are new to customer service.

Cons

Managers hate it when you are talking with colleagues, even it it's quiet and you've done all the tasks you need to do. High pressure to constantly look busy. I would say that due to most of the staff being very young there is a lot of drama/politics. Strict with uniform. Weekly rosters are published very late.

Advice to Management

Implement monthly rosters instead of weekly ones. Allow your employees to have short conversations while being productive - this will lower your high turnover.

HOYTS2019-03-26
  6. "team member"

Former Employee - Waitress in Sydney

I worked at HOYTS part-time for less than a year

Pros

really fun co-workers, making popcorn was pretty fun, $2 movie tickets, discount food, good study/life balance

Cons

didn't receive pay for the first 4-5 weeks working there, (another coworker didn't receive their pay until their 6th week) hostile/condescending managers, unbelievably disorganised, bad pay for the amount of labour, didn't receive proper training for candy bar and had to figure it out alone, get yelled at if you didn't know something about candy bar (re: no training), sometimes had to stand at ticket point for 4+... hours (you weren't allowed to sit down/switch with team members if they were understaffed)

Advice to Management

respect your employees! pay them as soon as they begin work. please be more organised when it comes to events/release of blockbuster movies.

HOYTS2018-08-26
  7. "Not bad for high school students"

No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at HOYTS part-time

Pros

Fun atmosphere (when it’s not crazy busy) with plenty of areas for you to be trained in. Perks of cheap movie tickets and discounted food and drink. Staff screenings of particular movies.

Cons

Disastrous and stressful when making leave requests as these can often be declined, which is a huge burden. Pay is ordinary when you consider the amount of work that is needed to keep this place running smoothly. Manager turnover rate is scary.

Advice to Management

Realise that regular staff aren’t robots, treat us equally and in a friendly manner, don’t expect too much of us. After all, some are working for just $10/hour.

HOYTS2018-08-11
  8. "crew member"

I worked at HOYTS part-time

Pros

50 cent movie tickets, nice people to work with

Cons

dealing with rude customers , making the popcorn

Advice to Management

they weren't supportive,wouldnt listen when u n/a for a shift

HOYTS2018-01-26

"has its good and bad"

I have been working at HOYTS part-time for more than a year

Pros

- discount movie tickets - you meet so many people - there's a big variety of places to work in and be trained - can be fun! -teaches you a lot of skills and gives you A LOT of experience. - very good for personal development - sometimes have events that can be fun to participate in

Cons

- terrible pay - having school, social life and work is hard to maintain - HUGE percentage in staff turn over which means a large number of shifts during the week because of people always leaving (not good for people in school) - not a very good culture -very strict managers!!!! - very late working hours (finishes between 12 - 2am)

Advice to Management

Don't be so harsh on all of your employees, the culture of the workplace is really depressing and management is very difficult to approach when you have an issue in fear that they will snap at you. It is very clear why there is such a large turnover rate and they do absolutley nothing to prevent or fix it. Most of your empolyees are stressed because of you

HOYTS2017-09-20
  10. "Hoyts Cinema"

Current Employee - Crew Member in Belconnen

I have been working at HOYTS part-time for more than a year

Pros

•Friendly co-workers •Cheap movie tickets •Meeting new people •Basic customer service skills

Cons

•Unorganised managers •Lack of execution •Undeveloped leadership •Limited age diversity

Advice to Management

Hire life-experienced managers, people that understand and can deal with staff on a professional level.

HOYTS2017-08-30