Harrington Starr Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Harrington Starr Managing Director Toby Babb
Toby Babb

1. "Managing Consultant"

Current Employee - Managing Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Managing Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Harrington Starr full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Winning Culture with the real desire to be better every day.
    Proven examples of people having exceeded what they thought they were able to achieve.
    Strategy that means growth and serious opportunity with the launch of four new brands and offices in the USA.
    One of the fastest and most consistently growing teams in the sector.
    Incredible training and development.

Cons

In a high growth phase so a need to ensure the quality of new hires keeps at the high level that the team currently has.
    High performance expectations mean this is the right place for people who want to be the best- others may struggle.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and maintain the quality of the team.

2. "A great place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Harrington Starr full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've worked for several recruitment companies in my career and without doubt Harrington Starr is the best. It starts with world class leaders and a real dedication to great customer service (far too rare in recruitment).

Expectations are high but Harrington Starr offer exceptional training and mentoring and really get the best out of their employees.

It feels fantastic to be part of a growing and ambitious company that honestly seems to care about their customers and the long term career of their staff.

Cons

You have to work hard but being the best doesn't come without effort.

Advice to Management

Doing a great job and thanks for the opportunity.

3. "Growing business with lots of opportunity"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Harrington Starr full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great leadership and passionate business, genuinely about offering a consultative and collaborative service to their clients. Good opportunities internally and great executive team to work for.

Cons

Start up business so there are some teething problems when it comes to branching out. All part of the learning curve though.

5. "In pursuit of excellence"

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Harrington Starr full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great team, great processes, great training, great environment, great place to work. The whole company is set up to succeed and get the best out of everyone here.

Cons

You will be pushed to be the best you can be. If you're not up for stepping out of your comfort zone from time-to-time, it could be a struggle.

Advice to Management

Keep it up.

"Gremlin's esq."

Current Employee - Senior Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Harrington Starr full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the people are fantastic and they will keep the business afloat, God help HS if they leave.
    The CEO is a wonderful man and one of the remaining founders is equally brilliant.

Cons

No client ownership leads to being undercut and snaked by people on your team

The MD has had no training and has got far based on survival

Their KPI's are really API's (any performance indicator) with performance based on client development calls (CDC's) with no definition of what constitutes as one.

Immediate pressure to succeed so if you're under the age of 30, without a client base, be sure to do a deal within 3 months or you'll be sacked.

Be prepared to have management sitting on your shoulder at all levels of the business.

Be prepared to be underpaid and made to feel guilty for going home.

Advice to Management

Get an MD that knows how to be one.
    Client ownership will lead to more success
    Spot Business is fine, but to be a £100m company, you need big clients which take time and relationships that need to be nurtured.

"One of Europe's best recruitment companies"

I have been working at Harrington Starr full-time

Pros

Great training, strong team spirit and huge opportunities to learn and earn.

Cons

Passage of information between departments could be better.

"Profesisonally fun place to work with a focus on growing both individuals and company footprint."

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)

Pros

Harrington Starr is a privately owned, financial services technology recrtuiment business formed in 2010 and with an active client base, just 23 months later, of 230 companies.

The company prides itself on its ability to fill the hard to find roles whilst maintaing an exceptional level of service. The training I received at Harrington Starr was excellent. After spending 16 weeks going through the Harrington Starr University Program, which is an extensive program focused on the entire recruitment lifecycle, I was able to move into a full consultant role managing the entire process. I was provided with several documents that enable me to constantly learn while I am on the job, supported by the 'training manual', a 350 page manual written by the founders on best practices within the job.

The company is passionate about constantly improving and we have regular "innovation meetings" to ensure that everyone in the business has a say in the culture and daily running of the business. We have recently implemented several changes that were proposed within the meeting to prove this.
    There is a genuine team feel in the air and everyone pulls together to ensure that the company is successful. We have regular team outings and everyone in the company is a pleasure to work with.

This is a great place to work for anyone from an experienced recruiter through to a graduate as individual earning potential can be maximised in a short period of time. The commission structure is fantastic with 40% commission exercised on £25,000 + billing and activity levels are managed using prozone and OPTA, which are never used as a stick, but a carrot to acheiving optimal performance.

Cons

The only downside within the company is that the standards are so high not only externally but internally, which sometimes leads to long hours to ensure that best practices are followed from database compliance through to CV formatting.

Advice to Management

I think the leadership team is doing a great job at the moment, I would ask that they continue to keep the transparency between the company and individual strategies.