Harrods Assistant Manager Reviews

Updated 18 Aug 2020

3.4
Harrods Managing Director Michael Ward
Michael Ward
  1. "An okay place to work"

Former Employee - Personal Assistant in London, England

I worked at Harrods full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It was a great experience, and there is room to develop provided you are in favour with management

Cons

Very bureaucratic, with limited autonomy of your role

2. "Good place to learn and grow"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant Manager in London, England

I worked at Harrods full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Met really amazing people, that are now friends for life. Supportive management. International team and customers. Opportunity for growth.

Cons

Low pay. Some toxic people in leadership roles.

Continue reading

"Great for your CV however too much pressure that involves not taking full lunch neither breaks"

2.0
    Current Employee - Assistant Sales Manager in London, England

I have been working at Harrods full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great discount and perks. Full time works 37.5h not 40. Canteen with great prices for staff but food isn't that great tho

Cons

The over hierarchical structure, bureaucracy and failure to recognise these as issues makes completing work difficult. There is a real lack of understanding of what is going on at ground level, and it would well be worth taking the time to listen. No recognition Very old fashioned in terms of people policies Unrealistic workloads and expectations A bit of internal politics Some disorganisation in cascading important communication to the whole team in a timely manner Not always easy to approach managers It can be a real challenge to juggle expectations as standards are high. Issue with hierarchy, senior management are out of touch No recognition of good work Probation period puts you under high scrutiny that makes you believe you're not good enough!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Senior managers are very rude and arrogant. Horrible management. Rude managers, need to be able to communicate without being condescending and patronising. No option to progress unless English is your first language!

Retail Director

Hello. Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. I am really concerned about the points you have listed here particularly considering you are a current Assistant Manager in store. I would very much hope that you would contact me directly so that I can understand more about your experience and identify how we may resolve some of these issues. As you know, I hold regular drop-in sessions to give you the opportunity to come and speak to me and always make time to see anyone so please contact me as soon as possible at laura.brown@harrods.com so that we can work to resolve this together.

4. "Company overview"

I worked at Harrods full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good potential earnings Good network

Cons

Lack on training and Reviews are not really an exchange of opinions rather them telling you where you are not successful

"Not great"

1.0

I worked at Harrods full-time for less than a year

Pros

Benefits and discounts, nothing else

Cons

Very uptight, colleagues extremely competitive, non diversity, everything extremely standardised. Lack of proper training

Retail Director

Hello, thanks for taking the time to leave a review. I’m disappointed to read that you haven’t had a positive experience with us. If you are happy to discuss further, I would appreciate discussing with you in more detail. Please contact me at Laura.Brown@harrods.com.

6. "Good for gettting experience"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Harrods full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It’s a great school to learn about sales and management

Cons

Constant changes of staff, not enough development and low pay I comparison to competitors

7. "Great place"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Harrods full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great place to work for carrier progression

Cons

Working hours and management can be difficult

8. "Best for personal development"

I worked at Harrods full-time for more than a year

Pros

You will become the manager you never thought you could be. Don’t get me wrong it’s hard, there is a lot to learn, you can’t drop the ball at any point and the pace can be intense. When you are in it you don’t realise how much you are learning not just about the job role but about yourself. You learn how to present yourself to people of all levels and how to really connect with others around the business to get the best out of your day and really help that customer. I had great connects from morning sing songs with the cleaners to figure busting department venture conversations with directors, it really is up to you to put yourself out there and shine as there are so many opportunities. I can be cut throat, there will be people you don’t see eye to eye with or feel certain clicks happen, but you keep professional, fun and respectful and you won’t even notice them. It will be your biggest learning, addiction and you will never find a better retail job.

Cons

There is a lot of bitter people still working here who will try force there negativity on you as they have had commission changes ect, but guess what they are still there because they can’t get a better job than where they are. Don’t give them the time of day and stay positive.

Continue reading
  9. "Assistant Brand Manager"

Current Employee - Assistant Brand Manager in Knightsbridge, England

I have been working at Harrods full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great commissions, work environment, canteen, professional

Cons

Long retail hours, limited access from all doors unless management

Retail Director

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience of working at Harrods so far. We’re pleased to read the positive reflections you have had so far. We are committed to creating a collaborative environment for all of our employees, so I’m disappointed to read some of your feedback. For us to evaluate and improve, I’d like to opportunity to discuss your feedback further. Please contact me at Laura.Brown@harrods.com.

"Great experience usual management shortcomings"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in London, England

I worked at Harrods full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great environment, all the resources you need to do your job, great IT support, good training programmes re H&S and fire marshals. Great training on product and options to book yourself onto dedicated or specific training days/lessons - with management approval of course. Product is fabulous, colleagues are amazing - you meet so many people from all different walks of life and have built great relationships. Great canteen and staff services - showers and changing rooms, lit walk way for make up touch ups and a staff laundry service.

Cons

however, as usual, the main downfall of this business as with many others, is the nepotistic and sycophantic attitude of senior and upper management. no-one bothers to learn your name, no-one bothers to learn your strengths and weaknesses and help develop your own skill sets. you are expected to receive your set targets and work alone in order to achieve them and are reprimanded heavily if they aren't achieved.

Retail Director

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your experience of working at Harrods. We’re pleased to read that you have enjoyed working with talented teams and beautiful products. However, I’m disappointed to read some of the concerns you have raised. We continually work with our managers to ensure our employees are happy with their leadership. If you would like to discuss this further, please contact me at Laura.Brown@harrods.com.

Found 20 reviews