Hays Employee Reviews about "long hours"

Updated 17 Sep 2020

3.8
Hays CEO Alistair R. Cox
Alistair R. Cox
1,566 Ratings
Pros
  • "There are lots of incentives to work towards eg race days or office parties, very sociable and young working environment 'work hard play hard'(in 154 reviews)

• "Supportive and offer solid career progression options(in 151 reviews)

Cons
  • "Long hours on occasion if desk gets busy(in 475 reviews)

• "Not much flexibility around working hours(in 136 reviews)

Reviews about "long hours"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Great for ambitious individuals"

5.0
    Current Employee - Consultant in Melbourne

I have been working at Hays full-time for more than a year

Pros

Sky is the limit, it is what you make it. Great if you're ready to put the effort in to see returns.

Cons

Can sometimes be long hours when required.

HR Coordinator

We are delighted to hear about your positive experience and highlighting the opportunities we offer for career growth. Thank you for the 5 star review.

2. "Good company but more improvement is needed to retain staff"

Former Employee - Associate Consultant

I worked at Hays full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great people to work with. Very thorough training.

Cons

Sometimes unsupportive management. Very high pressure. Really low salary. No flexibility and very long hours.

"Don’t work here"

Former Employee - Consultant in Melbourne

I worked at Hays full-time for less than a year

Pros

Lots of celebrations and team lunches

Cons

Really toxic culture, micro management, very poor salary compared to the market, very long hours and totally unrealistic KPIs. Management are not promoted to managerial roles based on their suitability to the role, but rather tenure and how much they bill. Until this stops the very high turn over in the Melbourne CBD Office will not change.

HR Advisor ANZ

Thank you for your response.We appreciate your review and are pleased that you enjoyed celebrating your success with us at Hays. We are proud of our fair salaries and commission structures, offering unlimited earning potential. You feedback isn’t consistent with our meritocratic culture with our Flex@Hays initiatives. If you would like to provide further feedback please contact Danielle, our HR Advisor at Danielle.Marshall@hays.com.au

"Zero Work Life Balance"

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Sydney

I worked at Hays full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There are some great incentives going for people who work hard and they really do reward success.

Cons

Management constantly trying to pull the wool over employees eyes. Pushing back promised pay rises and promotions as a means to crack the whip. Sever micro management and power play too. It's all because managers are recruited owing to tenure in the business rather than merit. Absolutely zero work life balance - hours are long and staff are expected to work outside the already long hours.

HR Advisor ANZ

Thank you for your response. At Hays we are committed to rewarding people for their hard work and results. We are delighted that you experienced this first hand. Your feedback is not reflective of our meritocratic culture where people are promoted based on merit. It also does not reflect our Flex@Hays initiatives. If you would like to provide feedback get in touch with Danielle, our HR Advisor at Danielle.Marshall@hays.com.au

5. "Not the best, not the worst"

Current Employee - Associate Recruitment Consultant

I have been working at Hays full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good training, fun culture, learn the basics in recruitment

Cons

Micromanaging, low pay, long hours, poor Commission structure

Continue reading
  6. "Great company culture and fantastic management!"

4.0
    Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Sydney

I worked at Hays full-time for more than a year

Pros

Company that prides itself on their inclusive culture, lots of rewards, incentives and recognition for staff. Everyone is very friendly and willing to help you, they encourage success and very clear progression paths.

Cons

Work life balance, very long hours.

HR Coordinator

Thank you for sharing your great experience within Hays’. We appreciate your feedback – Hays is committed to supporting our employees and offer Flex@Hays options to enable people to balance work and life. Thank you again, and best of luck with your future endeavours.

"Ok place to work"

Former Employee - Associate in Brisbane

I worked at Hays full-time for more than a year

Pros

Team culture- people Hays recruit are always same type, funny,outgoing and sociable

Cons

Base pay is not great, takes a long time to build commission. Dont get to pick what you recruit for, training is not what its cracked up to be. Long hours and no flexibility

HR Coordinator

Thank you for your feedback. We are glad to hear you enjoyed the team culture we foster however disappointed to hear your thoughts about the training and remuneration. We would be interested in learning more about your experience and invite you to an Exit Interview if you have not yet participated in one already. Please contact me directly at Rubylea.Sellers@Hays.com.au if you would like to arrange a time to discuss these concerns.

"Long Hours and Terrible Culture"

1.0
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Perth, Western Australia

I have been working at Hays full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Get a few trips interstate

Cons

Insanely long hours, no work life balanace

HR Coordinator

Thank you for sharing your feedback, it is very valuable to us. We encourage you to view our Flex@Hays page on our intranet to learn about the flexible arrangements that you can tap into. We would also recommend you share your specific feedback with your Manager or, you can contact our People & Culture Team at InternalHR@Hays.com.au. Thank you for your review.

9. "Not just another job!"

4.0
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Perth, Western Australia

I have been working at Hays full-time for more than a year

Pros

Clearly set career path Great commissions - if you put the effort in! Great team environment with lots of social events

Cons

Long hours but can be worth it! Average base salary - you need to be motivated by commission

HR Coordinator

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We are delighted to hear that you are enjoying our culture, and commission and career progression opportunities we have available. We encourage you to view our Flex@Hays page on our intranet to learn about the flexible arrangements that you can tap into. Your feedback is valuable, and your suggestion will be passed on to our leadership team. Best wishes to you and your future success with Hays!

10. "Terrible workplace, staff are disposable and recognition is only money, not merit based as they claim"

1.0
    Former Employee - Consultant in Melbourne

I worked at Hays full-time

Pros

Big brand, looks good on the CV

Cons

Long hours/no work life balance Really high expectations for really low pay Gossip ridden workforce/lack professionalism Don’t value their staff Push people to burnout I could easily go on

HR Coordinator

Thank you for your feedback. We are disappointed to hear about your experience this past year. We would be interested in learning more about your experience and invite you to an Exit Interview if you have not yet participated in one already. Please contact me directly at Rubylea.Sellers@Hays.com.au if you would like to arrange a time to discuss these concerns.

Found 474 reviews