Hays Employee Reviews about "work hard play"

Updated 19 Jan 2021

3.7
Hays CEO Alistair R. Cox
Alistair R. Cox
1,775 Ratings
Pros
  • "Fast career progression, rewarding position, great people(in 161 reviews)

• "There are lots of incentives to work towards eg race days or office parties, very sociable and young working environment 'work hard play hard'(in 157 reviews)

Cons
  • "Certain times of year bring long hours(in 495 reviews)

• "Not much flexibility around working hours(in 141 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "work hard play"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Loved it here!!! One of the best places I've ever worked!"

Manager in Melbourne

I worked at Hays

Pros

Great culture. Management are fantastic, offer you development and value in your career. Supportive environment. Loyal to their employees and you can always trust they will do what they say they will do. They genuinely value their employees. Will do what they can to make it work for you. Training is fantastic! Career development is great. Hard work is rewarded. Global reach. Its just an all round great place to work.

Cons

Perhaps the commission structure. Although being a bigger business they do tend to have more of a reach so it does tend to even out.

May 8, 2017Head of Internal Recruitment

Thank you Melbourne, I'll be sure to share your comments with Nick, Tim and the team in VIC. All the best in your future career.

2. "Great training and development opportunities"

Current Employee - Manager in Melbourne

I have been working at Hays full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good training, a clear development path to leadership. Work hard play hard culture.

Cons

Can be a little political, salaries and commission could be higher.

March 5, 2020HR Advisor ANZ

We are delighted to hear about your positive experience with our industry leading training and development opportunities at Hays. We are proud of our fair and transparent commission structure that allows employees unlimited earning potential based on performance. We would recommend that you share your feedback with your Manager or our HR Advisor, Danielle Marshall at Danielle.Marshall@hays.com.au.

"Associate Consultant"

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Melbourne

I have been working at Hays full-time for less than a year

Pros

I have only been here for 5 weeks but everyone I have met so far at Hays have been so friendly and supportive, and you wouldn't even know you're speaking to senior consultants/managers or even directors. The training is second to none. I'm really amazed with how detailed the training is, whether it's class, book or online training plus the on the job training you constantly get as well. The team culture is amazing as well where they do reward your hard work with drinks, prizes etc

Cons

None so far. Definitely long hours but you won't notice at all because they literally fly by! I love the fact that you're constantly busy.

November 22, 2016Head of Internal Recruitment

Thank you for your review from Melbourne. It's great to hear that regardless of global location the message is consistent and you have all the support and tools to help you become a great recruiting expert. Good luck in your M1 and M2 training which will no doubt be coming up very soon. Looking forward to hearing from you again in 2017 when you are promoted to recruitment consultant. All the best.

4. "Recruitment on the Up and Up"

Former Contractor - Recruitment Consultant in Brisbane

I worked at Hays for more than a year

Pros

Great team environment. Rewards based on hard work. Recognition for going beyond the call if duty.

Cons

Salary is a little low for the workload required. Entry level work hard to come by. Want experience but don't pay for it.

November 16, 2015Head of Internal Recruitment

Thank you for your comments from Brisbane. I have passed your advice to the Senior Management team to review.

5. "Great company, great culture, rewarding career"

Current Employee - Manager in Petaling Jaya

I have been working at Hays full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Untapped earning potential Young and dynamic workforce Definitely a fun, work hard play hard environment

Cons

Pros certainly outweigh the cons here, and any cons would be minor when compared to pros

6. "Great Remuneration"

Current Employee - Consultant in Singapore

I have been working at Hays full-time for more than a year

Pros

You get the autonomy and rewarded for your hard work.

Cons

A lot of external factors in this job.

7. "Challenging yet rewarding"

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant

I have been working at Hays full-time

Pros

Your hard work will be paid off.

Cons

Extremely stressful on hitting KPIs

"Exceptional training, development and management team"

Current Employee - Senior Recruitment Consultant in London, England, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Hays full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Committed and hardworking managing and director team who are keen to upskill employees and keep them in the business. You can have a very successful career at Hays. Team is chatty and we have fun everyday in the office. Lots of progression on offer if you show drive and ask for it. Lots of incentives and rewards which make staff valued and rewarded for our hard work. Your success is what you make of it, if you put the hard work in you'll see results.

Cons

Expectations to be in the office for 40-50 hours per week is too much and way above industry standards. Very corporate office environment. Lack of flexibility even with "flexible working" - 1 hour either side and approved by management beforehand is not flexible and no options to work from home. Maternity pay is standard and based on base salary no matter how long you've been in the business or what level you are. When you start there is luck of the draw in whether your desk is hot, warm or cold and promotions are based on fees not effort so that impacts new recruits. Only take on entry level recruiters due to salary being too low for market rate. Salary and commission is a LOT lower compared to market rate.

Continue reading
  9. "Great Career Opportunities"

Current Employee - Manager in Sheffield, England, England

I have been working at Hays full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

If you are motivated by promotions, earning commission, continuous personal development Hays is a great career path. I personally started as an Intern during my placement year at university, after returning I worked within the finance recruitment sector and then progressed to manage a smaller office. Since then, I have moved to manage a much larger team/area. Hard work definitely pays off

Cons

The hours can be long but we now have hybrid working which means we can work from home and office.

10. "Highly rewarding with lots of progression in return for hard work and ambition."

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Ipswich, England, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Hays full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Hays is a great company to join if you want to have a long-term career in Recruitment with a global leader and you aren't afraid of some hard work! As a business, it has really progressed in recent years in the way that it develops, trains and supports it's staff. With industry leading training, but also with the support of colleagues and management, those that are new to the Recruitment sector have the best chance of being successful at Hays. Throughout your career, Hays will develop and push you further. You will have access to numerous benefits including a generous employee share scheme, flexible working, access from home, retail and restaurant discounts, discounted dental and health care schemes, black tie events, plus lots of incentives including anything from a bottle of bubbly to an all expenses paid holiday! Hays offers competitive salaries and a rewarding commission scheme. As you gain experience, you may get the opportunity to manage your own team which allows you to earn more, plus, can lead to you managing an office, a region, or even a country in the future. As a global PLC, a huge benefit is the ability to relocate with Hays abroad, or to take a sabbatical and return to a guaranteed job. This is a great option if you want to travel or explore the world.

Cons

The hours can be long and the work can be tough, but if you are willing to put in the effort and work hard, it can be hugely rewarding.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 156 Reviews