HelloWorld Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

4.1
HelloWorld CEO Peter DeNunzio
Peter DeNunzio

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Flexibility and great work/life balance that's needed in today's workplace" (in 12 reviews)

• "Great people, great company to work for overall" (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • "Some team members are overworked and (I'm assuming) underpaid" (in 5 reviews)

• "Very little long term growth opportunities" (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Amazing culture, amazing people, amazing growth"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Southfield, MI (US)
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Southfield, MI (US)

I worked at HelloWorld full-time (More than a year)

Pros

HelloWorld was an amazing place to work. It was my first proper engineering job, and it was an incredible experience.

A developer's first program in any language typically prints HelloWorld, and I honestly can't think of a better place to have started my engineering career proper, than here.

Onboarding was smooth, within a month I felt like I had known everyone on the team for a bit. The work was fun, and challenging, and the open floor plan made everyone appear very approachable. The best part is people were actually very approachable, and I still maintain contact with quite a few of them.

I especially liked the communication between my manager and our team as it helped set expectations for software delivery. Sure we had some crunch deadlines, but it was nothing we didn't discuss as a team and agree too.

This open and transparent communication made it easy to ramp up and contribute quickly. When I think back on it, I gained responsibility with time, but it never once felt undue or burdensome; it all happened rather naturally.

By far the biggest pro, the people and culture. Honestly. Everyone was just really cool. Being a marketing company, I happened to like to go by the creative team quite a bit as it's really nice to see the stuff they make. As a plus, they happen to really like talking about their work and it makes for a great listen IMO.

There's also a pretty nice game room to unwind in if you need a breather, and jigsaw puzzles if you want them.

Cons

None for me, but it did feel like developers lived in a different world than producers at times with regards to pressure and needing to deliver. I'd chalk it up to my manager being able to set and communicate reasonable expectations and delivery dates however.

Advice to Management

Don't change the culture, by far the biggest thing I miss. Just great, great people.

2. "Amazing work place culture! Immediately felt like friends and family!"

I have been working at HelloWorld full-time

Pros

- Incredibly supportive, open, sharing and collaborative culture
    - Brilliant, hardworking individuals with a wide variety of backgrounds
    - Humble leadership, who actually know/remember who you are
    - Genuinely interested in developing the team as professionals and people

Cons

Not too much here outside of normal agency work.
    - The dynamic range of client work (while interesting) can make it hard to predict or establish a consistent working routine
    - Not always being to own a product or service can make things slow moving with client work

3. "Helloworld Review"

I have been working at HelloWorld full-time

Pros

Work life balance and the culture

Cons

Slow to promote and raises are hard to come by

"Best Brands and Best People"

I have been working at HelloWorld full-time

Pros

Such a well-oiled machine serving the best brands. They take training and on-boarding very seriously and provide you a buddy when you start to help you. Everyone is great and the work life balance is amazing.

Cons

Really don't have a lot

5. "Work/life balance"

Pros

PTO, WFH, Summer Fridays a plus!

Cons

Limited growth opportunities. Long work hours

"A great experience so far"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Southfield, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Southfield, MI (US)

I have been working at HelloWorld full-time (More than a year)

Pros

HelloWorld has a friendly culture, nice offices, and flexible work environment. The work is, for the most part, interesting.

I feel like they make a real effort to motivate through positivity.

I also like the size of the company - it's small enough so that you can always find the right person to talk to on an issue, but big enough that the scale of work is complex, enjoyable, and challenging.

Cons

Recent acquisition by Merkle may lead to uncertainty, especially in administrative areas.

Advice to Management

I really like the way this company works. I can't really think of any specific advice.

7. "Software Engineer"

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at HelloWorld full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people are great, very loyal and happy. good flexible hours and good PTO/holidays. the company is solid and the business is plenty. lots of good work.

Cons

management is a mess in some areas. there is little communication between some of the team leaders. promotions felt random and were most of the time empty promises. raises were almost non-existent except for select people and not even cost of living increases were done this past year. multiple promises and delays of a bonus that never happened. also people work too hard and burn out.

Advice to Management

Listen to your Engineers, promote those that deserve the promotion and give them the opportunity to prove themselves. going over 5 years without a promotion is detrimental to an employees state of mind and just doesn't show respect for them, specially after multiple empty promises of said promotion.

all that being said, I loved this company, and would come back if there was an opportunity to do so.

"Great Company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Southfield, MI (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Southfield, MI (US)

I worked at HelloWorld full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible, great culture and coworkers

Cons

A lot of changes to senior leadership, uncertainty following sale of business

9. "Great Work Environment! Needs More Focus on Core Values"

Former Employee - Associate Software Engineer in Southfield, MI (US)
    Former Employee - Associate Software Engineer in Southfield, MI (US)

I worked at HelloWorld full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There's great work-life balance. You can take as many PTO days as you need and work from home when need be. The employees are pretty friendly (for the most part) and you work with larger clients like Kraft or Starbucks! Another thing I liked about working at Hello World was the agile methodologies they used when building their projects. While there were sometimes miscommunications, implementing agile in our daily work routine allowed us to build our projects efficiently and stay on the same page as a team.

Cons

There is no onboarding when you start off depending on your role. In my experience, I had no work to do my first 3 months. I also did not get much recognition for the work I did do there. After I was given real tasks, I worked over-time almost every day, completing tasks always on time or before then, and my work was never really accounted for. One of the greatest things about working at Hello World is the fact that you can work with larger clients, like Starbucks. Ironically, they don't always use the most modern and useful technologies. While working there, I realized that the work you do at Hello World is generally "Hello World specific" so the knowledge you gain wont always be applicable elsewhere.

Advice to Management

My advice to management would be to take the feedback from the employees more seriously. A number of people have complained about similar things that were never solved. Another thing would be to pay closer attention to the employees, there's a whole lot of undercover unprofessionalism.

10. "Good company to work for"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Southfield, MI (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Southfield, MI (US)

I worked at HelloWorld full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great people to work with
    A lot of clients to work with - makes the work different for each client
    Good culture in the beginning (see Cons why only in beginning)
    Location was ok
    Agency Agile changed how work was done, for the better (and great teamwork)

Cons

No raises in the last few years, and sometimes just 1%
    No advancement, unless managerial (No technical career path). There was at one point an initiative to create different career paths, but then the person who leaded this left, it just disappeared.
    Since sale of business, future uncertain
    In beginning, good culture. But since sale of business, things changed
    When you get assigned to one client, work gets a bit boring.

Advice to Management

Give better raises
    Create different career paths. Not everyone is a good manager, but they are great leading technically