Herbert Smith Freehills Employee Reviews about "social events"

Updated 28 Jul 2020

3.9
Herbert Smith Freehills CEO Justin D’Agostino
Justin D’Agostino
Pros
  • "Ability to work flexibly assists with work life balance(in 12 reviews)

• "There are lots of committees to get involved with and the firm has regular social events(in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • "Long hours, traditional atmosphere (but changing)(in 25 reviews)

• "Top tier firm pressures make work life balance impossible(in 9 reviews)

Reviews about "social events"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "A great place to work in a good location with excellent staff benefits"

4.0
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Sydney

I have been working at Herbert Smith Freehills full-time for less than a year

Pros

Sporting events and social events are frequent and staff have a friendly and social attitude to each other and their clients.

Cons

Occasional surprise deadlines related to client work are an unavoidable part of working for a professional service firm.

"Worst firm I have ever worked for."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney

I have been working at Herbert Smith Freehills full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Modern offices Social events They have employee benefits like subsidised health insurance and gym membership

Cons

Incredibly toxic work culture. All the negative reviews say it all. If the manager doesn’t like you and you’re not part of their circle, they would find ways to performance manage you without warning so you’ll quit. HR is spineless and don’t have employees’ interest at heart. They only exist so the firm does not get sued so don’t ever make the mistake of coming to them if you feel that you are being bullied and gaslighted, they encourage it so they would be very dismissive when you speak to them about it. Do yourself a favour and stay away from this firm! Freehills before the merger was way better. When the merged with Herbert Smith happened, everything went downhill.

"I would much prefer Hell than this place."

Former Employee - Legal Secretary in Perth, Western Australia

I worked at Herbert Smith Freehills full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Not many to be honest. The secretarial group are lovely & the social events. Some colleagues have turned into life-long friends.

Cons

Where do I even begin? • workplace bullying by the partners, SPA and HR • lack of acknowledgement / appreciation for support staff • lack of action by HR to ANY complaints against partners • lack of assistance for support staff in extremely busy periods • SPA always pulling some secretaries up for “bad attitudes” but yet, they allow partners & solicitors to have bad attitudes • high volume of favouritism by the partners & SPA • no support from the SPA towards secretaries (even though that is her role, to support the secretarial group), she only supports her ‘favourites’ • Management’s ignorance about anything negative in the office If you want to work somewhere, where you want to be disrespected, undervalued and have your ability + confidence shattered then this is the place for you! However, if you want a workplace where you’ll be supported, valued and respected, then I recommend you look elsewhere as Herbert Smith Freehills don’t support, value or respect you. Quite simply, if the partners don’t like you then you’re out the door and the SPA is basically told, do what you can to get them out. Performance Management plans seem to be quite the popular choice of action with Herbert Smith Freehills. That’s their way of basically saying to you, we want you out and this is the quickest way we can do that.

4. "Good Starting Job"

Former Employee - Legal Analyst in Belfast, Northern Ireland

I worked at Herbert Smith Freehills full-time for more than a year

Pros

Competitive Salary, Good working environment, No long hours, Good social events

Cons

The work becomes boring quickly, you are essentially a human filter. Can sit for days/weeks with no work. Very poor career progression, unless you want to spend 5 years here and then move to London. Although steps were taken to address this.

5. COVID-19

"Avoid Respond Contracts, Mixed experience"

Former Employee - Adviser in Belfast, Northern Ireland

I worked at Herbert Smith Freehills part-time

Pros

- Fairly competitive salary, when there is work - nice friendly team members. - some good social events

Cons

- poor handling of Covid - didn’t listen to concerns of people with health conditions - work is tedious and there is no variety - feedback is savage and demotivating. Some of the solicitors give positive feedback but managers turn it to negative. - diversity initiatives are tokens and worthless. Only done for the awards and photos. Very bad case of pink washing.

Continue reading
  6. "Great opportunities with a great firm"

Current Employee - Trainee Solicitor in Belfast, Northern Ireland

I have been working at Herbert Smith Freehills full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I started the firm as a legal analyst and have progressed to trainee solicitor. The standard of the training contract has been excellent and I have received great support throughout. The firm also supports you financially including paying your LPC fees and providing accomodation in London where you complete two of your seats. The best thing about HSF Belfast is the people. Everyone is really friendly and willing to help. There are lots of committees to get involved with and the firm has regular social events. Great perks all paid for by the office including weekly yoga, fruit deliveries and exercise classes. There is excellent flexibility due to the firm having core working hours which is great as you can arrange appointments and the gym around work. Overall, great place to work and would recommend to anyone.

Cons

There is always room for improvement in any place of work, however the firm has been proactive in making positive changes and invites open communication between employees and senior management. The training contract process is competitive, as you would expect for a top global law firm, however it is an amazing opportunity and opens so many doors in terms of opportunities to progress with the firm post-qualification.

"Fantastic First Grad Job"

Former Employee - Legal Analyst in Belfast, Northern Ireland

I worked at Herbert Smith Freehills full-time for less than a year

Pros

I joined HSF straight out of university. I was very fortunate to join such a welcoming and friendly company. - It's exciting working with high-profile clients and working with offices across the globe especially when you are based in somewhere like Belfast. - No shortage of things to get involved with. I was involved in the social committee, university networks and social media. If you have an interest in something they will find a place for you and get you involved. - There are at least 3-4 events a month to attend. When I was there we had social events (quizzes etc), different sporting events (for all abilities), charity events and just before I left we got involved in Pride which was great. - The people really do make HSF in Belfast. All the managers are so welcoming and encouraging of you to ask questions. Also Lisa (the Director) is an absolute credit to the company because she talks to every single person when shes in the kitchen and I don't think that is the case in most companies. I've had really good fun with all my colleagues. - Also flexible working was introduced during my time, which gives you the ability to have a great work/life balance that you wouldn't get elsewhere.

Cons

The only reason I am leaving is because I want to pursue a career outside of law. However, I would admit that the work can get a bit monotonous but I think there is some much else going on in the company and the opportunity to move departments. For a first job it was a really good place to ease me into working.

Continue reading

"Great first graduate job"

Current Employee - Legal Analyst in Belfast, Northern Ireland

I have been working at Herbert Smith Freehills full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Flexible working: makes for a good work/life balance, no long hours although voluntary paid overtime is often offered. - Social life: variety of networks to get involved in (sports, pro bono, mental health, universities, charity etc), frequent social events such as sports events, parties, quizzes and charity dress down day once a month. - Workload: Depending on projects, the work can often be monotonous but the social aspect and involvement in the networks makes up for this. - Salary: competitive salary, above other Belfast firms but not quite magic circle salary, yearly bonus and pay rise often provided, company discount in the majority of retailers, good pension scheme. - Opportunities for progression: recent addition of senior legal analyst role, usual training contracts, opportunities to move departments are becoming more frequent. - Great first graduate job, opportunity to meet and work with lots of new people, young and vibrant workforce.

Cons

- Overtime pay is often standard rate, contrasting from other similar Belfast firms. - Not able to work from home in this particular position.

Continue reading
  9. "Great company to work for"

4.0
    Former Contractor - Paralegal in London, England

I worked at Herbert Smith Freehills for less than a year

Pros

Career progression, social events, busy work, great HR, nice offices.

Cons

Long hours at times, bad management at times,

"Disputes"

Former Employee - Solicitor in Belfast, Northern Ireland

I worked at Herbert Smith Freehills full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Nice modern office. Lots of social events and good committees to get involved with. Very Diversity friendly.

Cons

Lack of opportunity for progression. A real feeling of promotions being made for certain people and opportunities created specifically for those people to progress up the ladder. A lack of acknowledgement of potential talent. Management more interested in the optics of their team rather than ability. Not a family friendly environment.

Found 12 reviews