Herbert Smith Freehills Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated 11 Aug 2020

3.9
Herbert Smith Freehills CEO Justin D’Agostino
Justin D’Agostino
Pros
  • "Ability to work flexibly assists with work life balance(in 12 reviews)

• "There are lots of committees to get involved with and the firm has regular social events(in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • "Long hours, traditional atmosphere (but changing)(in 25 reviews)

• "Top tier firm pressures make work life balance impossible(in 9 reviews)

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Great Culture"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Sydney

I have been working at Herbert Smith Freehills full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Cons

As with any large firm at times the hours can be long at times. In some aspects you can feel more like a number in the global company, although this is not the day to day experience.

2. "Great Culture and Fascinating Work"

Former Intern - Work Experience Student in Sydney

I worked at Herbert Smith Freehills for less than a year

Pros

- Great Offices - Good work life balance culture - Friendly and Grounded Employees

Cons

In my week there weren't any cons which i experienced

3. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Melbourne

I have been working at Herbert Smith Freehills part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great people who are smart, friendly and approachable. Top work. Firm commitment to culture, diversity and inclusion. Ability to work flexibly assists with work life balance. Good perks like Wednesday lunches and a terrific Christmas party!

"Good people, bad hours"

4.0
    Former Employee - Solicitor

I worked at Herbert Smith Freehills full-time

Pros

Great team culture and good people to work with. I loved coming in to work with a team who was so down to earth.

Cons

Top tier firm pressures make work life balance impossible. There are good options with respect to flexible work practices, but this results in people being expected to be available 24/7.

5. "HSF review"

I have been working at Herbert Smith Freehills full-time

Pros

Great people and smart teams. Interesting work.

Cons

Challenging to find work life balance

"Good work / life balance"

2.0
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Herbert Smith Freehills

Pros

Good work / life balance in the IT space. Nice social environment and modern office and great location.

Cons

Very cliquey in IT - best jobs for mates rather than based on ability or experience. Not good for a career unless you're in legal, the performance management is a just a tickbox exercise and a joke.

7. "Good place to work"

4.0
    Current Employee - Document Production in Melbourne

I have been working at Herbert Smith Freehills full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Have been well looked after here. Support staff are well remunerated and as such do quality work. Great support for staff particularly during personal crisis

Cons

Policy and reality not always aligned. Work life balance and vocal support for mental health often undermined by extremely high pressure and long hours

Continue reading
  8. "Successful integration of Freehills and Herbert Smith"

Current Contractor - Project Manager in Sydney

I have been working at Herbert Smith Freehills for more than a year

Pros

Excellent work life balance with good sporting program and a new emphasis on LGBTI in their diversity program. Indigenous staff are welcome and the firm actively sponsors Indigenous students training to be lawyers.

Cons

Salaries aren't moving up where the overall market is improving.

9. "Great graduate Job"

Current Employee - Legal Analyst in Belfast, Northern Ireland

I have been working at Herbert Smith Freehills full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible working, good work life balance, good office culture

Cons

Very difficult to move forward

"Fantastic First Grad Job"

Former Employee - Legal Analyst in Belfast, Northern Ireland

I worked at Herbert Smith Freehills full-time for less than a year

Pros

I joined HSF straight out of university. I was very fortunate to join such a welcoming and friendly company. - It's exciting working with high-profile clients and working with offices across the globe especially when you are based in somewhere like Belfast. - No shortage of things to get involved with. I was involved in the social committee, university networks and social media. If you have an interest in something they will find a place for you and get you involved. - There are at least 3-4 events a month to attend. When I was there we had social events (quizzes etc), different sporting events (for all abilities), charity events and just before I left we got involved in Pride which was great. - The people really do make HSF in Belfast. All the managers are so welcoming and encouraging of you to ask questions. Also Lisa (the Director) is an absolute credit to the company because she talks to every single person when shes in the kitchen and I don't think that is the case in most companies. I've had really good fun with all my colleagues. - Also flexible working was introduced during my time, which gives you the ability to have a great work/life balance that you wouldn't get elsewhere.

Cons

The only reason I am leaving is because I want to pursue a career outside of law. However, I would admit that the work can get a bit monotonous but I think there is some much else going on in the company and the opportunity to move departments. For a first job it was a really good place to ease me into working.

Found 21 reviews