Holiday Extras Reviews

Updated 10 Jun 2021

3.5
Holiday Extras CEO Matthew Pack
Matthew Pack
Pros
  • "Holiday Extras really care about welfare of their staff and everyone looks out for each other(in 27 reviews)

• "Flexible hours, can work from home, time banking all help with childcare needs plus a great working environment and really lovely people(in 26 reviews)

• Cons
  • "It's been mentioned before and HX can say all they want that it doesn't exist but it does(in 21 reviews)

• "Call centre not appreciated and treated different from rest of company(in 12 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

What a Company

21 May 2021 - Travel Consultant in Folkestone, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Best company I've worked for, from the way they treat their staff, to the way they handle adversity in a global Pandemic. the wellbeing of the staff, their families and the morals of this company are so good, its a great place to work, and I only left to concentrate on a new business venture, I wish HX all the very best for the future, I will always remember my time here, its been an honour to work for you, thank you

Cons

sometime it rained a little bit lol

2. 5.0
      Current Employee

Great company

4 Feb 2021 - Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

Worked for the HX group for over a year, and during that time the pandemic has caused massive disruption. Maybe the company could have responded quicker when the initial lockdown happened in March 2020, but I thought Matthew was holding off as much as he could until he had to make the inevitable redundancies. Having been through redundancies, in the end I feel the company handled it well. Although I see some reports of favouritism on here, I personally haven't seen it. Communication has actually been great in the company in my experience. It's impossible to be certain of a positive future for the company when practically no one is travelling, but I do believe that Matthew and the Leadership team have their employees interests and safety in mind.

Cons

None that I can think of

1 person found this review helpful
    3. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Really great company to work for

29 Jan 2021 - SEO Copywriter in Hythe, Kent, South East England, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Relaxed work environment with friendly staff, flexible hours, ability to work from home, perks like BBQs and activities --- they really look after their staff

Cons

HX seriously needs to hire more POC - the entire company seems 95% white

4. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

An engineers perspective

7 Jan 2021 - Software Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

I still remember reading these reviews before applying to Holiday Extras and how much of an impression they made on me. The interview process was a sequence of video calls to meet different team members, followed by a coding challenge (a choice of frontend or backend problem) and then a meet in person and a pair-programming session. It was pretty intimidating, but I felt elated and a sense of achievement when I got an offer of employment. I don't think I've ever felt that about any other job I've taken in the past. HX is a progressive company. It's been around for decades and continually tries to improve with a culture of feedback behind it. At the time of writing, things are very fluid. We're going through a pandemic, there's no clear way out and I'm on my 2nd bout of furlough. We lost a lot of friends as a consequence of a restructure and that was truly heartbreaking. For anyone that is reading this after going through redundancy, I'm sorry this happened to you. I can only speak for myself, but I haven't reached out to many as I don't know what to say. The whole situation is so messed up. I hope we meet again on better terms one day. Our colleagues are the types of people who become friends and even family. They're very knowledgeable, kind, compassionate and fun to be around. This is what you should expect when joining HX, a team you can work with, that wants to be open and honest. I've read some of the other reviews before me and I'm surprised to read that this is not everyone's experience. As an engineer, you will experience a variety of problems to solve, predominantly using React/React-Native, Node.js and the Google Cloud platform. You'll work alongside really clever people that are always willing to pair-up and there's a real sense of teamwork to get something done. The products offered are focused on holiday assurance and insurance, and everyone loves a holiday so the product you help build is really wanted by the customer too. Unlike a lot of companies that have struggled to adapt to working remotely, HX was already ahead of the pack in this sense, having many remote workers already operating in the company. Not only is remote working fully embraced, but flexible schedules too. If you need to nip out or do something and make up the time later, there's no questioning - just do it. That trust goes a long way. When HX has navigated this pandemic, which it will in time, and you get the opportunity to join - I say seize it, hopefully you'll have a great experience like myself.

Cons

I would like to see the progression path removed for engineers, I think that the measurements used to move through the titles are subjective and the fact that there is now a hierarchy where there wasn't before will lead to more competitiveness rather than collaboration. There are some advantages to competitiveness between peers, but I think it can breed toxic behaviour and could undermine the Be One Team value eventually. I would hate to be reviewing this post in the future and disagreeing with the pro-team points I've made. I'd also like it quantified, via a survey, of how many engineers would like to keep the hierarchy vs how many have no preference or would like to see it removed entirely. I don't think the title differences should exist if the majority of devs don't actively encourage it. Now that we're a much smaller team (unfortunately), we're in the best position to implement a change such as this. Also, the salary isn't set quite right, which feels like something said in bad taste given the redundancies that have just been made and the challenges HX are facing. Unfortunately the physical location HX are set in doesn't help as you're relatively close to London and there's always going to be comparisons made. As a lot of those London candidates will have adapted to remote working, it's unlikely to ease the situation going forward either. I would like HX to reconsider the benchmarking used when evaluating salary and to be more competitive on pay, effective immediately. If the company loses too much talent due to competitiveness in the market, I fear there won't be enough knowledge left to transfer and this will cause much greater problems. The bonus was nice when it was around, I'd like to see that return when feasible, but I'm specifically talking about base salary.

3 people found this review helpful
    5. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 10 years

Review

1 Nov 2020 - Resource Planning Analyst in Hythe, Kent, South East England, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Family environment Work life balance Great company

Cons

Covid Salaries could be more transparent

6. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 10 years

great company to work for

7 Sep 2020 - Delivery Manager in Hythe, Kent, South East England, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible working linking to a great work life balance, great training and development, autonomy, great friendships, fantastic values and links the company strategy to our values.

Cons

I do not have a con as I have thoroughly enjoyed my years here.

1 person found this review helpful
    7. 5.0
      Former Employee

23 Aug 2020 - Ficer in Irvine, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great pay and great people

Cons

Long hours but if single it’s oky

8. 5.0
      Former Employee

Good

7 Aug 2020 - Team Lead in Hythe, Kent, South East England, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good and honest and reliable

Cons

No cons to give at this stage

9. 5.0
      Current Employee

Great company

19 Jun 2020 - Marketing Assistant in Ashford, Kent, South East England, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Staff Benefits, colleagues, low staff turnover, great work environment

Cons

Pay in some departments lower compared to other roles in area

10. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Fantastic company to work for

7 Jan 2020 - PPC Executive in Hythe, Kent, South East England, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great working together attitude, feels like a family with great initiatives. Well organised from the top down, and senior leadership team really care about every employee

Cons

Not really any downsides, maybe pay slightly less than average

Viewing 1 - 10 of 180 Reviews