Holiday Extras Reviews

Updated 19 Jun 2020

4.1
Holiday Extras CEO Matthew Pack
Matthew Pack
  1. "Fantastic Benefits & Culture"

5.0
    Current Employee - Recruitment Executive

I have been working at Holiday Extras full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Holiday Extras benefits are fantastic and amongst them is our new Holiday Extras “Wanderlust Collection” which gives HX’ers paid and unpaid sabbaticals to reward long service, as well as the option to work from anywhere in the world for two weeks. I recently spent one week working remotely from the beautiful Italian city of Turin! My partner travels for work and often spends long stretches away from home, meaning we don’t get to see as much of each other as we’d like. This benefit allowed me to spend some important time with my partner as well as giving me some all important space to get creative and really push ahead with some project work. One of the side effects of my “work and travel” experience was that through booking our products I got to experience them as a customer would. I booked my travel extras using our new app and was amazed to see the updates made since my last booking; no longer having to print passes for security fast track is an organisational win! I booked an airport hotel, hire car and travelled to the airport by train…. And felt I was able to give some really useful developmental feedback whilst I was away and when I returned on the products and reported some technical gremlins that were immediately resolved! Although it was a great experience, one of the biggest challenges for me was my concern around not being in the office. As someone who thrives off interaction with others I thought working in a hotel room was going to really affect my energy levels; boy was I wrong! Holiday Extras is a fantastic place to work as a remote worker, my colleagues made sure that every meeting was remote friendly opting for shared docs to input into rather than whiteboards; it felt like I was in the office…. Just with more sunshine and a stunning view of the alps from my room. I also conducted several interviews over video conference alongside my colleagues based in the wave, which was great as it reinforced to the candidates that we really do take advantage of the benefits we offer. I was in constant contact with the team and it was great to experience all of our usual events like team stand ups and our company all hands (shout out) which are all accessible by video conference or streamed live on workplace (our intranet). During the weekend, my partner and I took a trip to the Italian Riviera (using our Holiday Extras hire car) where we rented an airbnb in a beautiful fishing village right on the beach. This was a perfect way to kick off the trip, after arriving at 9.am on Friday and doing a full days work we loaded the car and headed to the coast! When we returned on the Sunday evening it felt like we’d been on a week mini break, and I was ready to work the rest of the week from the hotel. The week flew by with lots of tasks being ticked off the to-do list at lightning speed. I felt rejuvenated by the break and energised by the new surroundings, developing creative solutions to tasks and blockers whilst taking a wander around the city during my evenings exploring the tourist spots. HX “work and travel” is a fantastic benefit and I’d encourage everyone to use it if they can, it gives HX’ers a real insight into our products and our customers. And most importantly it enables you to make the most of your time, manage your energy and boost creativity!

Cons

I cant think of any that aren't being addressed... Just some advice I guess that will follow below.

October 22, 2019Group People Director

Thank you for your review. It was fantastic to read about your travels! Our belief is that time is precious and holidays are the most precious time we have. This is why we launched our Wanderlust benefits collection last year to help HXers live every experience to the full, whether it’s at work or in their personal lives. We’re hugely proud of these benefits and the difference they make to people. It’s great to hear how you embraced our Work and Travel benefit (especially in a beautiful country like Italy!). It’s wonderful to hear that it enabled you to spend more time with your partner and make new memories together - that’s what it’s all about! We know that travelling can help inspire and offer people new perspectives - in all sorts of ways as you experienced. We love how you used this time to step into the shoes of a customer; only by doing this can we truly understand their needs and transform the way that people travel. We’re privileged to have such a dedicated and passionate team to help make this happen. With our growing community of people working remotely and our approach to flexible working, it’s vital that we are set-up for success. We have invested in tech and communication tools as well as adopting different working practices so that people’s experiences are the same no matter where they are. It requires a different mindset and approach but we’re committed to this in order to create a new future for how we work. We are always learning, so get in touch if you’ve identified throughout your travels anything more we can do. Thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback...and next time, send us a postcard! :)

2. "Don’t be fooled by gimmicks"

2.0
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Holiday Extras full-time for more than a year

Pros

Staff are friendly Shift swaps Underpaid numerous occasions and never received it back

Cons

Awful management They claim to be fully supportive towards their staff however this is not the case at all. Outdated systems

October 22, 2019Group People Director

Thank you for your review. We’re sorry to read some of your comments and we hope that you felt that you could feed this back while you were with us. We truly want to know how people are feeling and have a number of avenues that people can communicate with us if they have any concerns. Please be assured that our management team are dedicated to making sure that each member of the team is fully supported and recognised. Which is why we’d like the opportunity to discuss your experience in more detail in case there’s anything we can do differently. If you are open to speaking, please email me at kwakeman@holidayextras.com so we can start a conversation. We hope that you get in touch. If we don’t hear from you however, we wish you all the best for the future

3. "Good"

Current Employee - Travel Consultant in Folkestone, England

I have been working at Holiday Extras full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good place to work, good atmosphere and team

Cons

Sometimes they put too much pressure on people to obtain bookings without taking in how the calls you get are luck of the draw and not guaranteed

October 2, 2019Group People Director

Many thanks for your feedback. We’re pleased to read your comments about our environment and team. Regarding your comment about taking calls however, we don’t want anyone to experience undue pressure so we’d really like the opportunity to discuss your comments about this so we can understand more. While we adapt our targets inline with the type of calls that come in, we are always open to ideas on how we can improve this. So if you haven’t already, please speak with your manager or the People Team to discuss how you are feeling and ways in which we can support you.

"Dreadful for progression and pay"

1.0
    Former Employee - Staff in Hythe, Kent, South East England, England

I worked at Holiday Extras full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fairly good work life balance depending on whether or not the manager likes you

Cons

Dreadful pay, zero chance of progression and bullying is rife. When I raised my concerns about being bullied to a senior manager, I was told to "Play her at her own game". I was in tears.

October 8, 2019Group People Director

Thank you for feedback. We’re really sorry that you feel this way and would like the opportunity to speak to you in more detail. We do not tolerate bullying in any shape or form so would like to understand more about some of the points raised in your review. Please do get in contact so we can discuss further, sending an email to me in the first instance at: kwakeman@holidayextras.com.

5. "Great company perks and ethos"

4.0
    Current Employee - Partnerships Marketing Executive in Ashford, Kent, South East England, England

I have been working at Holiday Extras full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fantastic benefits, good ethos. Good rewards such as parties, bbqs etc

Cons

Too nice, often have people working for them that aren’t good at their job and don’t do anything about it. Salaries are not competitive.

October 2, 2019Group People Director

Thanks for your review. It’s great to read your feedback about our benefits and culture. Making sure we care and look after our team is integral to everything we do - this includes supporting people’s development to make sure they are able to thrive and perform. Where this is not happening, we support the person closely to help them reach the place they need to be so they can feel they are making a valued contribution to our business. It’s important to the individual and their team that we do this. In response to your comment about pay, we regularly review salaries to ensure they are competitive. If you feel that this isn’t the case for your role, please speak to your manager to discuss your concerns - they are there to listen and help their teams understand our pay processes.

"The best CEO ever!"

5.0
    Former Employee - Team Leader/Travel Consultant in Ash, South East England, England

I worked at Holiday Extras full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Values driven work culture,, fantastic benefits, profit share each quarter, monthly coaching and 121’s, free parking, teas, coffees, weekly business updates via “Shout out,” beautiful outdoor space to work and play, working from home. CEO MATT PACK is an amazing human being. Compassionate, kind and genuine. He has an open door policy and he listens. He is the “do right man!” A true leader whom I will never forget and had the privilege to work for.

Cons

I can honestly say there are no Cons for me. They always strive to be better.

September 26, 2019Group People Director

Thank you for your feedback. It’s great to hear about your experience while working at HX. We’re really proud of our culture and work environment so pleased to hear from you about what we’re doing well. We were also touched to hear your feedback about our CEO, Matthew. He is truly passionate about the wellbeing of our team and the future of our business, recognising the importance of listening to everyone to make it an even more fantastic place to work. We were sad to hear your feedback about showing more care. Through our focus on mental health and wellbeing, we have established various routes for people to be able to talk about their personal circumstances and receive any support should they need it. However, we are continually learning so will take this onboard. It would be helpful to have more information to understand how we can do better so if you’d like to get in touch, please email us at: recruitment@holidayextras.com. It would be good to understand more context around your comments. Thank you for taking the time to leave this review. If we don’t hear from you, we wish you all the best for the future.

"Great company to work for"

No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Holiday Extras full-time for more than a year

Pros

Remote working Nice people Nurturing culture

Cons

Salary lower than market average

September 26, 2019Group People Director

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We absolutely recognise the talent and expertise of every single person at Holiday Extras. We’re sorry to hear about your feedback about empowering our team however and will take this onboard. We want everyone to reach their full potential and use their knowledge and skills to make great decisions for our business. We have various channels for feeding back if people feel this way and we work hard to create an environment where people can express their opinions and viewpoints to enable them to do their best work. Making sure we are transparent on pay is really important to us and we are doing more than ever to help people understand where they are now and their future earning potential. We launched our Career Pathways framework last year and that has been a great step towards providing greater understanding and awareness on pay. We have lots of plans in the future to embed this further so that people know how decisions are made in relation to their pay. Thank you for your feedback and we wish you well for the future.

8. "Great"

Current Employee - Travel Consultant

I have been working at Holiday Extras full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fun, supportive, flexible, friendly, great summer bbq and great parties, really look after their employees.

Cons

Inefficiency at times with long drawn out processes.

September 26, 2019Group People Director

Thank you for your feedback. We’re pleased to hear that you feel supported and looked after. We truly care for our team which is why we invest so much into their wellbeing. Our company's purpose is to offer our customers less hassle and we want the same for our team. We’re not a business that likes red tape or over-engineered processes. It’s important therefore that you feedback your concerns and help us make improvements if there areas of work that you think could be improved. We’re all responsible for the continual improvement of our business which is why we have lots of channels to enable people to do this. We hope you’re able to do this within your team but my door is always open too.

"Good place to work if you like BBQs and not much else"

2.0
    Former Employee - Travel Consultant

I worked at Holiday Extras full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great community feel to the business people are very supportive, BBQ's, - it can be a fun place to work but HX rely heavily on the 'fun' bit to keep you in the business.

Cons

there is a divide between the Contact Centre and the rest of the business which is a shame as without the CC there would no HX - which leads to my next point, low salary (a good bonus scheme in place) but it always feels like they try to avoid paying bonus where possible. To progress in the business is the biggest challenge - Holiday Extras are growing and to push that further they look for talent externally when actually there is plenty of talent sitting the office bored because they aren't challenged.

Continue reading
  10. "Good company to work for"

I worked at Holiday Extras part-time

Pros

Felixble working Great team atmosphere

Cons

Change of opening hours affected a lot of staff

Found 148 reviews