Holiday Extras Reviews

Matthew Pack
  1. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Video Editor in Hythe, Kent, South East England, England

I have been working at Holiday Extras full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great benefits Friendly staff Lovely building and location Flexible working Bonus scheme

Cons

Uneven progression structure in some teams

2. "Great people"

Current Employee - SEO in Munich, Bavaria
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Holiday Extras full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great friendly environment, great work life balance

Cons

Not clearly defined career path

"I miss it!"

Former Employee - SEO Copywriter in Hythe, Kent, South East England, England

I worked at Holiday Extras full-time

Pros

Great career progression - if you're willing to work for it. I began in the Contact Center and worked my way up to the SEO team. I worked hard in order to move up, but I'd argue that's exactly how it should be. What's more I felt my hard work was rewarded. I always felt like I was trusted in my role, which makes a huge difference to work output. Your ideas are always listened to, and if possible, people give you that opportunity to make it happen. In addition, HX genuinely cares about it's employees - both in their working and personal lives. I really miss HX and really enjoyed my time with the company.

Cons

Having started in the Contact Center, I know how tough that area of the business can be in comparison to the rest of the business due to the nature of the work however I do think that they are treated far better than other people in the same line of work.

Continue reading
  4. "Fun, challenging and friendly place to work"

Current Employee - Agile Coach in Folkestone, England

I have been working at Holiday Extras full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I've worked here for three years now and have no intention of leaving. Holiday Extras is the best company I've worked for due to the great atmosphere and culture they work hard to create. It's a fun place to work with all the extras they give you (BBQs, birthdays off, constant treats and rewards) but that's a small part of why I love it here. Whilst it's fun, there's no shortage of hard work and challenging targets to meet which stretch and get the best out of you. They work hard to make sure you're on the right career path and will assist in any training or support you need to succeed. There are so many departments that you can easily try out another career path on a secondment if you're curious. They've just completed a fantastic new building and facilities including showers which shows they're dedicated to improving and supporting staff. They're incredibly family friendly. Having just come back from Maternity Leave, I was worried asking for reduced hours and more flexibility in terms of needing to work from home or leave if the kids were sick but their Anytime Anywhere policy means I can just catch up out of hours and leave immediately if necessary. I've never had a problem with any discrimination due to being a mother - if anything I'm actually given a lot more freedom to do what I need!

Cons

They're still working on the pay structure and clarity around that, but it's improved in the past few months. As with any company there are the usual problems with certain individuals and management styles but overall these get addressee quickly if they're really issues. As the company is growing, the culture is unfortunately getting diluted so that's something everyone needs to work hard at to keep.

"Clicky"

No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Holiday Extras

Pros

BBQs in the summer, fun activities when you’re allowed to take part.

Cons

Very clicky business, it’s not what you know it’s who you know. Impossible targets and high turn over of staff, you feel constantly stressed and next to no support. Expect no work/life balance.

6. "Great company to work for"

I have been working at Holiday Extras full-time

Pros

Great community spirit and benefits!

Cons

Pay is lower than it should be

7. "How work should be!"

I have been working at Holiday Extras part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Development and progression opportunities Employee wellbeing and work/life balance Benefits and profit share Innovation and growth of business Great teams, values and culture

Cons

Basic pay could be better against market-it’s fair but not competitive Leadership could work more strategically and effectively as a team-too in the operational detail of individual areas

8. "Good Employer"

I worked at Holiday Extras full-time

Pros

Really care about you and what you think about the company

Cons

Can be somewhat dry in the call centre

October 23, 2018Deputy CEO Holiday Extras

Thanks for your review. It’s great to hear your feedback about caring for our team. Our amazing people are key to our ability to provide the best service to our customers so investing time to make them feel valued is really important to us. We’re sorry to hear that you felt this way about working in our Contact Centre however - as the frontline of our business, we try our best to make everyday engaging for the team. If there’s anything more specifically we can do, let us know by emailing us at people.team@holidayextras.com with your suggestions.

9. "Great, but always room for improvement"

I worked at Holiday Extras full-time

Pros

Holiday Extras has a great attitude to accommodating staff welfare – most particularly flexible working hours when it comes to making appointments, last-minute family priorities and general life admin that doesn't warrant taking holiday. The people are generally great and the company has a good overall culture when it comes to balancing work and personal commitments.

Cons

For all the benefits, flexibility, training and fun activities available to staff, sometimes you just want a salary and/or job title that reflects and rewards your contribution to the business fairly, because as wonderful as summer BBQs may be, they certainly don't pay the mortgage. Pay and progression seem to be a very taboo subject despite the forward and progressive attitudes in other areas of the business.

October 23, 2018Deputy CEO Holiday Extras

Thanks for taking time to leave this review. We really pride ourselves on supporting our team in balancing their working and personal lives so pleased to hear your comments about our culture. While we were sad to hear some of your other feedback, we thank you for your honesty and hope you felt that you had the opportunity to voice this while you were working with us. In response to some of your points: We’ve taken onboard the team’s feedback about pay and progression and are making active steps in these areas. Through the various engagement forums held over the past few months, we have been very happy to discuss these topics openly as part of our commitment to responding to the team’s feedback. For progression and pay, much work has been taking place across the business, including the continued review of market data against current salaries. We’ve also recently launched our new apprenticeship scheme, giving HXers further opportunities to learn different skills and progress in more technical areas of the business. Behind the scenes, we’ve been working on other projects that should provide more transparency on our approach to pay and progression - we’re excited to launch these in the next few months. Regarding your point about using external resources - it goes without saying that we completely value and trust the expertise of our team. We can’t grow and do amazing things without them. As with any business however, from time to time we need external support - often temporary to fulfil an immediate need. Where we can however, we will always look to our team first and support them in growing the skills that we need for the future. Finally, we very much agree, diversity at all levels is welcomed at HX and only recently we were proud to announce that a female director had joined our Group Board. While we have always considered ourselves an inclusive business, lots of work continues to take place to give everyone the tools and support to reach their full potential. As a result, we feel we are heading in the right direction. Thank you again for your feedback. Although you are no longer working at Holiday Extras, it’s great to hear that you would consider working for us again. Do stay in touch and we wish you all the best for the future.

"Great place to develop and learn"

5.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hythe, Kent, South East England, England

I have been working at Holiday Extras full-time for more than a year

Pros

I really enjoy it when I am working with Matthew our CEO, he's energetic, creative and really cares about our customers. You can also tell he really cares about me and my family. There are some really talented people in the business, many have grown up with the business and been promoted along the way so there's a real depth of experience and knowledge. The work environment is fantastic. Lovely campus, the best office I've ever worked in, gives a real buzz and collaboration is the norm due to the layout of the space. People are respectful of your personal time. Email chatter is kept to a minimum out of hours and it's possible to switch off, recharge and come back in full of energy every day. The business has a clear purpose which I really relate to: making sure our customers have less hassle and more holiday. Love that. There's a really clear "can do" attitude and it's a vibrant, fun place to work. Lots of opportunity to get involved in projects, initiatives and mix with people from different teams. Personal development is encouraged and supported; I feel like I've learned a lot here and will continue to do so. I can see myself staying for a long time.

Cons

Not really a con as such but you do need be prepared to get stuck in to figure out how things work and how you can get things done, it suits someone who is prepared to apply themselves and have a go, try things, be brave. You won't always be shown the way, you have to find the way.

September 27, 2018Deputy CEO Holiday Extras

Thank you for taking the time to leave this review. Caring for our team and our customers is paramount to who we are so we’re pleased to hear this feedback. We agree, we are so fortunate to have such a talented and ambitious team which is why we invest in them so they can grow and be the best they can be. We’re proud of our recently opened building that encourages collaboration but also supports people’s preferred ways of working, including quiet spaces, stand-up desks and flexible meeting spaces. We strive to create an environment that enables people to develop themselves while also being supported by a passionate team of knowledgeable people. We have promoted a great deal of people over the years, some of which have carved their own careers from their interests and strengths. We have lots of ambitious plans for the future so will continue to need an equally driven and talented team to help achieve them.

Found 148 reviews