Find jobs for Software Engineer

Holiday Extras Software Engineer Reviews

Updated 11 Nov 2019

Holiday Extras CEO Matthew Pack
Matthew Pack
  1. "Good but pay is below average"

I have been working at Holiday Extras full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good work life balance, friendly people. Excellent profit sharing. Can work from home.

Cons

Pay is not transparent. Pay is always lowballed without any negotiation.

Holiday Extras Response

November 21, 2019Group People Director

Thank you for your review. It’s great to hear your comments about the friendliness of the team. It’s really important to our culture that we communicate in a way which is human, helpful and friendly - to each other and our customers. It’s also fantastic to hear that you have a good work-life balance - this is what we strive for and is at the heart of who we are and everything we do. Through our approach to things like flexible working, we want to empower our teams to have careers that work for them. While you see our profit share bonus as a positive, we’re sorry to read the rest of your comments about our pay processes. Over the last few years we have made strides towards greater transparency so that everyone is confident and informed about how pay decisions are made. Through feedback received in our last Engagement Check-in, we recognise the need to do more however, which is why we’re making further changes this year so that people have a better understanding of their total reward package and their future earning potential. Thanks again for taking the time to leave your review. We hope you were able to share your feedback in our very recent Engagement Check-in but you do speak to your manager or someone in my team if you’d prefer a conversation. You can also feed-back and ask questions at the Head of Tech Delivery’s AMA (Ask Me Anything) monthly sessions.

"The progressive image is largely an illusion"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Hythe, Kent, South East England, England

I worked at Holiday Extras full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people at Holiday Extras is what makes it awesome. During my time in the engineering team I met and worked with some great people. I got to attend conferences and learnt a lot. The work life balance is pretty decent too. Flexible hours and opportunities for remote working.

Cons

You'll have little say in the product you build which is why the website looks like it does. Despite having some really talented UXUI designers and developers, the output is pretty is poor. This is entirely due to the top-down nature from the CEO/CPO. He will override or cull almost all ideas, for example on one occasion after the team had spend weeks working on a design he sent a keynote with an extremely crude alternative and the instruction to "do that". Sadly, the only product/design people who do well in the company are those willing to say "yes sir" and not voice an opinion, despite having more expertise. The company claims to be agile but whilst they're bending to one person whim it never truly will be. From a career development perspective your options are also extremely limited. Effectively your only options are to suck it up and deal with the low wage and lack of progression or leave.

Holiday Extras Response

October 10, 2017Associate People Director

Thank you for your feedback. We agree that our CEO is hands-on. We're a family run business and we work with a visionary and creative CEO who is willing to roll his sleeves up and work alongside the team to generate ideas and problem-solve. The open and collaborative environment means we encourage everyone to share their thinking regardless of role. This thinking comes from a good place and means there is a different lens on a piece of work. We also actively encourage teams to understand the rationale of their stakeholders by regularly meeting face to face, asking open questions, and understanding the why behind a request. By doing this we're all on the same page and can achieve the best outcome for our Customers. We don't always get it right (we're human) and we take feedback onboard. Thank you for sharing your experience and best of luck in your new role.

3. "Great Working Environment"

5.0
    Software Engineer

I have been working at Holiday Extras

Pros

Ability to tackle problems with out own approaches. Free time to work on projects / improve skills Great lunch breaks and benefits

Cons

Maybe more obvious long term objectives

4. "Very Enjoyable!"

I have been working at Holiday Extras full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Always a pleasure coming into work, most days are fun - never get the feeling of wanting to take the day off. The company is very flexible letting you work how you want to, in terms of which hours you want to do and being able to work from home. - Great culture, lovely office with very friendly employees. Everyone seems to care about the company and want the most from it. - Leadership team are very accessibly and transparent. They do truly seem to care about the company.

Cons

- It's not the best of places if you want to advance your career and salary is too low for the industry. - The benefits are pretty bad. Lack of health or dental insurance unless you've been there for many years. No gym discounts (even though they say they have). You only get 20 days holiday per year (+1 for birthdays). - Overall, the company do try their best but seem to try and do it very cheaply. Also, the desk chairs are very bad (as a developer, this is quite important to me).

5. "Great Place to Work"

4.0
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Hythe, Kent, South East England, England

I have been working at Holiday Extras full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great team, great people, great culture. New director of tech driving change. 10% time to work on what you want. Flexible hours, work from home. Exciting new brand and approach to product happening currently.

Cons

Sometimes lacks clear leadership, but improving in this area. Somewhat of a "everything is awesome" attitude, in most ways merited but gets in the way on the couple of things that really need work. Designer to engineer ratio is poor. Physical workspace (open plan) isn't great. Lots of legacy and technical debt, although now being managed much better.

"Great company but no real possible progression"

I have been working at Holiday Extras full-time

Pros

The biggest benefit of working at Holiday Extras is the amazing people you get to work with, you get to work with some of the smartest engineers I have ever met, in an environment that that encourages you to continue learning. Great team atmosphere across the web team makes nearly every day an enjoyable one. The HX culture is wonderfully laidback, every member of staff is approachable from the CEO to the CC members. HX has managed to nature a great team atmosphere were you feel like you get to make an actual contribution with ideas/suggestions regardless of role. The web team is rapidly evolving with new technology being experimented with constantly, leading to a lot of exciting opportunities to get involved in and try things out. Being able to use new tech without having to gain permission from several different people is a fantastic experience.

Cons

One of the biggest issues with holiday extras is that it doesn't value its engineers, there is little room for growth in your role as an engineer unless you keep dedicating more and more time to non-development activities, if you are interested in progressing as an engineer without dedicating your time to recruitment etc than HX isn't the place for you. The web team at HX has embraced giving open and honest feedback to each other no matter the role (product owner, scrum master, engineer, software tester) however you receive very little feedback from your manager (I haven't received any feedback from management since my last review) so you have no idea how you are progressing, which normally leads to massive surprises come review time. There are a large number of engineers that are completely overlooked and underestimated within the web team, that seemed to be completely missed by management. While the environment is fantastic to work I fear the holiday extras maybe the place you come to learn some new skills for a year or two before moving onto companies that provide more opportunities. The pay also seems very low considering the the growing expertise of the engineers which I fear is going to turn into a high turn over ration in the near future after the last company survey showed some worrying results when it asked its employers future at the company. There really needs to be more feedback and progression opportunities that are made clearer as at the moment its all vague promises.

Continue reading

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 6 reviews