Holiday Extras Travel Consultant Reviews

Updated 15 Nov 2019

3.5
Holiday Extras CEO Matthew Pack
Matthew Pack
  1. "A company that cares"

5.0
    Current Employee - Travel Consultant in Hythe, Kent, South East England, England

I have been working at Holiday Extras part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Xompetative rates of pay, bonus you can work towards, supportive team, work benefits and discount schemes with outside partnerships. They put on alot of events for staff. Company really do care about their people and their wellbeing. Flexible work available for remote workers.

Cons

The work can be repetitive, with no breaks inbetween. Constant weekend and evening work for all part time workers is difficult to work around your family. Everything is done via technology, sometimes you feel like you will never physically have a face-to-face conversation again.

2. "Good"

4.0
    Current Employee - Travel Consultant in Folkestone, England

I have been working at Holiday Extras full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good place to work, good atmosphere and team

Cons

Sometimes they put too much pressure on people to obtain bookings without taking in how the calls you get are luck of the draw and not guaranteed

October 2, 2019Group People Director

Many thanks for your feedback. We’re pleased to read your comments about our environment and team. Regarding your comment about taking calls however, we don’t want anyone to experience undue pressure so we’d really like the opportunity to discuss your comments about this so we can understand more. While we adapt our targets inline with the type of calls that come in, we are always open to ideas on how we can improve this. So if you haven’t already, please speak with your manager or the People Team to discuss how you are feeling and ways in which we can support you.

3. "Great"

4.0
    Current Employee - Travel Consultant

I have been working at Holiday Extras full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fun, supportive, flexible, friendly, great summer bbq and great parties, really look after their employees.

Cons

Inefficiency at times with long drawn out processes.

September 26, 2019Group People Director

Thank you for your feedback. We’re pleased to hear that you feel supported and looked after. We truly care for our team which is why we invest so much into their wellbeing. Our company's purpose is to offer our customers less hassle and we want the same for our team. We’re not a business that likes red tape or over-engineered processes. It’s important therefore that you feedback your concerns and help us make improvements if there areas of work that you think could be improved. We’re all responsible for the continual improvement of our business which is why we have lots of channels to enable people to do this. We hope you’re able to do this within your team but my door is always open too.

"Good place to work if you like BBQs and not much else"

Former Employee - Travel Consultant

I worked at Holiday Extras full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great community feel to the business people are very supportive, BBQ's, - it can be a fun place to work but HX rely heavily on the 'fun' bit to keep you in the business.

Cons

there is a divide between the Contact Centre and the rest of the business which is a shame as without the CC there would no HX - which leads to my next point, low salary (a good bonus scheme in place) but it always feels like they try to avoid paying bonus where possible. To progress in the business is the biggest challenge - Holiday Extras are growing and to push that further they look for talent externally when actually there is plenty of talent sitting the office bored because they aren't challenged.

Continue reading

"A marginally better call centre...."

Former Employee - Travel Consultant in Hythe, Kent, South East England, England

I worked at Holiday Extras full-time for more than a year

Pros

Friendly people, was a relaxed environment (but that's changed), home working

Cons

Poor wages, poorer wage increases.

September 27, 2018Deputy CEO Holiday Extras

Thank you for your review. Our people are at the heart of everything we do so we’re sad to hear this feedback. We are proud to be a Living Wage employer and have been for the past three years. As a company, receiving feedback from our team is integral to everything we do. Specifically in our Contact Centre, we have a number of feedback channels for people to tell us what we're doing well and what we can do differently, either via our regular engagement surveys or open forums with the team. We have taken many positive actions of the back of these, including ways of working and pay. We hope that you were able to voice your concerns through these avenues or with your manager who are on-hand to discuss any specific feedback.

"Upsetting targets and monthly worry"

No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Holiday Extras part-time for less than a year

Pros

Nice parties, average benefits compared to other companies. Nice events from time to time, lovely if you happen to be involved in them.

Cons

I didn’t want to write this review as I’ve remained optimistic for positive change. I’ve come to a conclusion it’s now beyond repair. They really want to expand the business but don’t sort out the problems they have currently first, CC staff mental well-being being the main one and the way they target phone staff. This site is full of the same stories :-( With bullying claims recently, it’s just so sad to see a place I once loved become so lifeless. They claim to be a “30 year old company thinking like a start-up”, with the extremely out of date targets in the CC, it’s not exactly thinking like a millennial-company. It’s very poor. There is no incentive to up-sell or be a great sales ambassador as there’s no bonus that’s actually achievable. Who targets staff on customers options on a phone menu when customers press wrong options to get through quicker? This impacts CC agents overall monthly performance. The poor staff on the receiving end of this. You are not thinking like a startup. Think of actual accurate targets, it’s honestly not that hard. Being told everyone in same situation is not being pioneering in spirit. The company receives too many wrong number calls into their CC, phone agents being victim to this affecting their monthly performance which is very upsetting. Again, the company refuses to rule these out at all. And of course, you guessed it, this is the phone agent’s fault!! CC Managers turn off their instant chat or set to not-available, frustrating when needing help with a call. Quick to moan when agents haven’t hit a target though. I’ve heard agents and Home workers say they just don’t message them anymore. So many of the CC staff feel drained after a shift, it used to be a fun environment and a second home but now it’s the complete opposite. Anonymous feedback system needed urgently for the CC. People are scared of the outcome of speaking out or emailing People Team about what’s upsetting them because it’s got so bad. Buzz sessions won’t resolve the issues. Only those not on the phone in the CC have a positive word to say. Let sort this mess out once and for all?

January 8, 2018Associate People Director

Thank you for your feedback, we’re sorry that you feel this way and would like the chance to speak in more detail about some of the points raised in your review. Please don’t feel that you can’t speak to a member of the People Team or your manager as we always encourage people to come to us with any concerns or questions. We have been holding feedback sessions to discuss works well, what could be better and create opportunities to ask questions and share ideas. The buzz sessions have been really valuable and we will continue to run these in January. The team has helped to shape some of the actions and your input is integral so please come along and share your thoughts.

"Travel Consultant"

2.0
    Former Employee - Travel Consultant in Ashford, Kent, South East England, England

I worked at Holiday Extras full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The other travel consultants! I made a lot of friends. Shame most of them have left now. Bbqs, firework displays, parties, hx xmas day, not that the contact centre gets to attend any of these things.

Cons

So being in the CC ( contact centre) you are bottom rung in HX, and they make you feel it! The CC miss out most of the " fun Hx experience" because the organ grinder won't let anyone have time off the phones. HX have lost a shed load of fantastic talent within a year just because of poor management! I actually cannot count how many good team players who have been at HX for a number of years all jacked it in. The travel consultants are over worked and under valued. The targets are a joke and customer service has slipped. HX are very good at training you up to go for a job thats coming up, then going with a complete outsider, many people have fallen for this! Leaving people feeling deflated and unappreciated. It used to be such a lovely place to work and I used to love it; but no one seems to be questioning why they are losing staff? Why are they losing key players and big personalities? Because CC management changing has made people hate coming to work... Why would you get rid of whole team from the call centre? One minute they saying we should really push car hire and transfer, the next the whole team has been disbanded! Its safe to say they all left the company rather then go back to airport. The CC now feels tired, lifeless, its a sad place,where people are constantly worried about the safety of their jobs, forced to work ridiculous hours for an average pay. Where favouritism and bullying are rife!! Its very sad. Lets just say that the HX values and ideals are a fairytale, nothing more. Apart from the villians because they are quite a few of those!

December 11, 2017Associate People Director

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. We’re sorry to hear some of your feedback and wanted to respond to some of the specific points raised. As a fast-paced business there will always be changes in the team and we try our best to minimise any disruption this may cause. It goes without saying that our Contact Centre managers put the team at the heart of everything they do, so they were very sad to hear this feedback. We are a little surprised by your comments about the Contact Centre being tired and lifeless as we put a lot of work into making sure that the culture and work environment here at HX is inviting and full of energy. We’d like to understand more about this if you’re able to get in touch with us. We’d love for people to be able to attend every single event but we also need to balance this against the needs of our customers. When planning events, we try and cater for different teams so that people can attend most of them. We also provide food and treats in lieu of people not being able to come along to help them feel included. If you have any ideas about how we can do better however, we’re really open to suggestions. Finally, we were concerned to read about some of the more serious claims that you have raised in your review. To make it clear, we do not tolerate bullying in any way and take any accusations of such behaviour very seriously. We foster an open environment for people to feel that they can share and relay any concerns they may have. We hope that you were able to do this with the People Team or our managers while you were here. If you would like to reach out to discuss your concerns in more detail, please email our People Team at people.team@holidayextras.com

"Travel consultant call centre"

1.0
    Former Employee - Travel Consultant

I worked at Holiday Extras full-time for more than a year

Pros

Get given an Apple Mac laptop, give good pay and good benefits. Luckily I had lovely people on my team. Shame the jobs AWFUL

Cons

If you work in the call centre your treated horrifically in every way... if you have an angry customer there is a department trained to take those calls yet they tell you to deal with it yourself! Clearly don’t do they’re job properly... unrealistic targets and awful one to one training. ( if you actually got the once a week/ once a month training they say your meant to) They don’t care about you as long as they’re making money. Very unsociable hours. Had the worst time working there and would not recommend it in the slightest

November 1, 2017Associate People Director

This feedback makes us really sad as this is not the experience that we want people to have. As a fast paced, customer focused business, people are at the heart of what we do and we strive to help people feel appreciated and rewarded for the contribution they make. We work very hard to ensure our Travel Consultants are supported and have regular 1-2-1 time with their managers. Our focus over the last couple of months has been all about empowering our Travel Consultants to have the skills and confidence to be able to resolve customer issues so that they can help our customers on that first contact. The feedback from our recent engagement survey within the CC was that people feel very positive about being empowered and we are continuing to support our Travel Consultants to have the confidence to do this. It would be great to have the opportunity to discuss your feedback in more detail. Please feel free to get in touch with the People Team if you would like to do this.

"Travel Consultant- a mixed experience."

Travel Consultant in Hythe, Kent, South East England, England

I worked at Holiday Extras

Pros

A positive atmosphere Nice building and grounds Two weeks training

Cons

Training overwhelming Targets hard to achieve - which can be stressful IT kit hard to find on a daily basis.

"Airport Call Centre"

1.0

I have been working at Holiday Extras full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Given own apple mac laptop, lots of benefits, and the training system at the start was very good.

Cons

Unrealistic targets, constantly being threatened about getting sacked from the company, have to deal with angry customers as the customer service team specialized in this department do not take on the calls so we are left to deal with it, unapproachable management, horrendous hours working until 11pm.

September 19, 2017Associate People Director

Thanks for your review. We’re sorry that you have some concerns and would like the opportunity to discuss these with you so we can understand them in more detail. In response to some of the issues raised, we recognise that our team need continuous support in their roles so we have focused recently on empowering our Travel Consultants to have the skills and confidence to be able to resolve customer issues. We appreciate this can be a little daunting at first which is why our customer experience team are on hand every evening until 9pm and our team leaders until the end the day, so there is always someone around to support. If you would like to speak to us to discuss the points raised in your review, the People Team are always available for you to speak to in confidence. If you would like to speak to one of us, please do get in touch.

Found 17 reviews