Honey Birdette Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

Updated 18 February 2019

CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "expected to wear 3 pieces of current HB which is expensive upkeep as they constantly consolidate sets" (in 6 reviews)

• "Pretentious newsletters and memos that seem to praise upper management and spit people actually doing the work" (in 8 reviews)

1. "Such an amazing place"

Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Gold Coast
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Gold Coast

I have been working at Honey Birdette part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Equal opportunity
    Support you like a family
    Always room for progression
    Amazing team and leaders

Cons

I honestly don’t have a con about it, this is basically the first job I’ve ever been completely happy in

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work

2. "Boutique manager"

Former Employee - Boutique Manager in Sydney
    Former Employee - Boutique Manager in Sydney

I worked at Honey Birdette full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great co workers. Decent product discounts

Cons

No support from upper management. Lots of immature gossip. No stability. If targets weren't made jobs were threatened.

Advice to Management

Treat your staff like actual human beings. Empathy is needed.

3. "Dont do it to yourself"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melbourne
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melbourne

I worked at Honey Birdette full-time

Pros

- 40 % discount on items
    - really good incentives
    - the people in your immediate team are generally very nice

Cons

I dont even know where to start. Made to make ridiculous individual budgets and shamed if you dont make them, hours on end alone in a store and not allowed to go to the bathroom, no security measures to look after the girls, encouraged to flirt and force people into buying products. I mean thats not even the worst part. Im going to give everyone a piece of advice and i know there are girls at HB currently reading this, they dont care about you and they never will. Your safety means nothing to them, your advice and pleas for things to get better mean nothing because at the end of the day the big boss doesnt give an absolute f about you or your life. You are there to make her money, period. Im sorry to the girls who have been sexually harassed and abused in these stores and have been told by management to simply write it down and send it to head office for them to never deal with it. Im sorry that you have to deal with men making innapropriate comments, men asking you to try items on for them and of course being involved in daily involentary phone sex. Im so sorry that your traumatic experiences mean nothing. If you are looking to work at honey birdette DONT and if you are already there GET OUT NOW.

Advice to Management

Stop hiding behind a facade of glamour and red lipstick. Stop turning a blind eye to girls who are asking for help. You are supposed to protect these women not bring them down and turn them into your little puppets. Oh and another thing Stop moving girls around from store to store expecting them to succeed and then firing them or demoting them when they fail it honestly has the same logic as throwing an iphone into a toilet and then taking it out and asking why it doesnt work.

"Honey birdette"

I have been working at Honey Birdette part-time

Pros

I love the atmosphere, well paid, empowering environment and it is really great job. It's been my favourite job ever!

Cons

There isnt any I can think of, the company works together and empowers each other.

Advice to Management

I love working here and I would recommend anyone to apply because it is such a rewarding job to help a client.

5. "Boutique assistant"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I have been working at Honey Birdette part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is a company that you truely make a difference in women's lives. The icing is you get paid to help women better their lives.

Cons

Really not many cons. The heels are a killer if you are a larger size 14 like myself. It is tough to not be able to get out to the Loo if you are on your own till a casual comes in to cover the lunch break.

Advice to Management

Change the cover casual times to help women go to the bathroom . don't make it a deal breaker to wear flat shoes at times to help reduce foot issues.

6. "Management"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Brisbane
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Brisbane

I have been working at Honey Birdette (More than a year)

Pros

Great incentives
    State and area manager support
    Rewarding job (customers)
    Great challenges in regards to the business side.

Cons

Only real con, is the same con as any retail job! Limited time off around festive seasons due to increase demand!!

Advice to Management

Part-time contracts to assistant managers & honeys the business sees potential in.

7. "Honey Birdette"

Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Brisbane
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Brisbane

I have been working at Honey Birdette part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Honey Birdette is supportive of their staff and development within the company. It's built on empowerment of women and their sexuality. I love it!

Cons

I haven't found any cons

Advice to Management

Management are supportive and kind with all aspects of support

"I honestly had so much hope"

Current Employee - Retail Sales in Melbourne
    Current Employee - Retail Sales in Melbourne

I have been working at Honey Birdette part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- good pay and incentives
    - relatively fun work environment

Cons

Here we go
    - Pretentious newsletters and memos that seem to praise upper management and spit people actually doing the work
    - complete disregard for your situation.
    - I was hired in a management position, not trained, and was then replaced. I found out when the roster was released and I had the hours of a casual
    - unprofessional
    - high sales targets that honestly, it’s not that weird to not be making. It’s not my fault no one enters the store before 11:30am
    - who’s the state manager? I have no idea because it changes every 2 days.
    - some honeys are overly and embarrassingly passionate. Like it’s great to enjoy your job, but when you’re number one achievement in life is being a honey, you need to do some reevaluating.
    - while I’ve never been the victim of sexual abuse or misconduct in that regard, I’m totally not surprised that upper management hasn’t done anything for those that have been.

Advice to Management

This company has so much potential. The idea of empowerment is beautiful and I really want to stand behind that. The gossipy and competitive nature starts with management. Hire people with more integrity and start by empowering your workers. We give to you what you give to us

"People are completely disposable in this company"

Former Employee - Casual Retail Assistant in Melbourne
    Former Employee - Casual Retail Assistant in Melbourne

I worked at Honey Birdette part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent discount. That’s about it.

Cons

Expected to be early to ‘prepare’ by making sure make up and clothing is perfect to their specifications but don’t get paid for it.

Don’t get paid when you work overtime but are expected to if you aren’t making sales

Targets are ridiculously high and almost unachievable unless you are completely ruthless and push customers to the point of uncomfortable but you’re expected to make at least 80%.

Often left working alone which means no break to use the bathroom or food breaks on 8 hour shifts

No warning when deciding to fire people. They just take you off the roster and cut all contact

Environment is so highly competitive that girls steal sales and sabotage other people

Sexual harassment. But flirting with male customers for sales is encouraged

No proper training for staff or management. Management turnover is at a ridiculous rate. Several stores were without managers for extended periods of time

Catty, clique-like, almost cult culture. If you don’t act like a Honey (posting pictures of yourself in lingerie on Facebook admiration pages for sales for one) they do everything they can to beat you into submission.

Wearing heels, full face make up, false eyelashes and lipstick on 8 hour shifts

Expected to wear current product, which gets expensive despite the discount. Most of the wage goes back to the company

Made to travel to stores on the other side of town for a three hour shift

Advice to Management

Complete overhaul. Implement proper training, not just a book on how to dress and what to or not to say.

Treat people as if they are human, not disposable. Many girls put everything they have into the company, going out of their way to do things but get treated like garbage and shoved out the door the second someone shiny and new comes along. Help people succeed, you’d get better reviews. Understand people have lives outside of being a Honey.

Take away some of the individual competitive nature. Encourage stores working as a team rather than individual achievement

Work to fair work and OHS standards. There is so much wrong that it is insane.

"Look somewhere else"

Former Employee - 2IC in Sydney
    Former Employee - 2IC in Sydney

I worked at Honey Birdette (Less than a year)

Pros

- Some nice girls
    - Okay discounts and incentives (however quality of product is falling)
    - High turnover (because the company is horrible to work for) so you can be promoted quickly (however you can also be demoted even quicker)

Cons

- 3 hour shifts in the middle of the day
    - Higher management hardly answer calls, emails or texts
    - The minute you don’t meet sales targets you are just taken off the roster with no word form anyone
    - You are expected to live and breath the company
    - Your expected to buy a lot of the product
    - Managers are allowed to treat you like crap and take you off the roster with no word whenever they please
    - You can’t use your discount for all products
    - Girls steal sales
    - Rosters released Sunday night for the following week sometimes no roster is released at all
    - Often have to work all day by yourself with no break (and if you don’t have a key to close the store you can’t go to the bathroom all day)

Advice to Management

They are too far gone for advice