Honey Birdette Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

Full-time Part-time

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

1. "Great vibe and culture"

Current Employee - Designer in Surry Hills
    Current Employee - Designer in Surry Hills

I have been working at Honey Birdette full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great diverse people
    - Conducive environment for creative work
    - Travel opportunity
    - Lovely working culture
    - The boss is very approachable and willing to listen to requests as long as they are not unreasonable
    - Great place to get experience in fast paced high fashion industry
    - Recognition of hard work
    - Clean and neat working environment

Cons

- Fast paced environment may not be for everyone
    - Open concept office; any mess is visible. Any messy or untidy individual, consider yourself warned if you wish to work in the head office
    - B.Y.O equipment

2. "No job is worth your health..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brisbane
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brisbane

I worked at Honey Birdette (Less than a year)

Pros

40% off outrageously overpriced and knock off lingerie

Cons

Told to flirt with male customers and "sell them the fantasy" but the store is marketed as "empowering women"
    Store Managers told by higher ups to "dangle the carrot" of a promotion to casual staff to make them work harder and sell more.
    Extremely competitive environment with store managers stealing customers
    Super high individual budgets that are not achievable in a three hour shift.
    Cult-like/ brainwashing mentality from managers- the CEO can do no wrong and we should kiss the ground she walks on.
    Only want to hire naive under 25 year olds so that they can be molded to reflect the HB ideals.
    Manipulative sales tactics are taught.
    Required to attend mandatory training in capital cities without pay and if you did not attend your hours were cut.
    Passive aggressive managers.
    Ridiculed and berated by former staff who then report back to CEO about casual staff who may not have had enough training.
    Required to be 30 minutes early to a shift and stay until everything in store is spotless.
    So many unpaid hours.
    An updated work wardrobe is demanded every season and you're required to wear three items per shift.
    Reimburse your staff when they purchase stock for work- not reimbursing them is illegal under federal law.
    Allow your staff proper breaks and don't expect your staff to work a ten hour shift at short notice during Christmas Trading. A Sunday shift without a break for the toilet is uncomfortable and dangerous to your health.

Advice to Management

Be kind to your staff and pay them properly.
    Remove the policy of "find your own replacement" for shifts that causal's who may be sick and cannot work.
    Get a store budget and stop naming and shaming your staff in the weekly report, people have bad sales weeks, doesn't mean everyone in the company should know about it.
    CEO needs to quit playing favourites with a small and select group of staff.
    Appreciate your staff when they cut their holidays short, are called in at short notice and stop manipulating them into working when they're not available.
    Listen to your staff when a complaint of sexual harassment or mental health issues are made. Working with so much pressure when suffering from anxiety is bad enough without being ridiculed.

"Soul destroying, not worth it. Worst company ever"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Melbourne
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Melbourne

Pros

The best reason I can think of to work at honey birdette is so you are able to warn others not to work there

Cons

Everything, managers and CEO are completely useless, they bully, they put you in extremely difficult moral positions. There is no support in this job, make 1 mistake like speak up and they watch you like a hawk. Before they even hire you they are plotting your replacement, even though you're probably replacing someone. If you're sexually harassed or bullied you will get no support and only harassment for asking for any. No cameras instore, I heard of staff being assault in store luckily I wasn't. Check out #notyourhoney if you're thinking about working here.

Advice to Management

Install cameras. Stop bullying staff, share store targets instead of individual targets. Update policies, educate staff about your products please!

5. "Casual Staff"

Current Employee - Casual Time Retail Staff in Sydney
    Current Employee - Casual Time Retail Staff in Sydney

I have been working at Honey Birdette part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1) Inspiaring great girls and great team
    2) Such a cool company to work for regarding job progression plus they pay above the award
    3) Amazing incentives like AMAZING
    4) Product is beautiful
    5) Amazing managers feel very supported

Cons

Its a tough company to work for because they expect the best but the rewards are great.
    Need to be fashionable and look the part at all times

Advice to Management

Would love more contact with head office and say over product and what works and what doesnt and why

"WORST place on earth to work!!!!!"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Brisbane
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Brisbane

Pros

40% discount on lingerie
    30% discount on toys
    Products are unique in style

Cons

Catty work environment
    Many unpaid hours of working
    Encouraged to talk dirty to customers and flirt
    Dressing provocatively is a must (breasts out, tight dress/skirt)
    Expected to wear lingerie from there
    Must wear high heels (so uncomfortable and unhealthy for a full days work)
    Harassment from staff
    Nails must be done
    Extremely competitive due to individual budgets - my manager used to tell me to sell less so that she could sell more...
    Huge favouritism from staff higher up
    MASSIVE turnover of staff! Not one person I know is still working for the company when I was.

Advice to Management

Treat your staff with kindness
    Pay your staff for every minute they work
    Alter the dress code - I guarantee you it's not the high heels or breasts out that help you sell
    Remove individual budgets and add a store budget. If you want to observe individual performance, insure the manager is doing her job and allow her to report to the area manager
    If expected to wear the product, have items out back or in storage cupboards for Honeys to wear on their day of work
    Work attire allowance is needed

7. "LOVE LOVE LOVE"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Brisbane
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Brisbane

I have been working at Honey Birdette part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing women to work with, beautiful lingerie, caring owner, LOVE IT. It is the best company I have ever worked for.

Cons

Wish there was more room for progression! I don't want to wait for someone to step down or move on.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing! I love working in this company. It has been the greatest learning experience of my life

"HORRIBLE."

Current Employee - Retail Assistant in Brisbane
    Current Employee - Retail Assistant in Brisbane

I have been working at Honey Birdette full-time (More than a year)

Pros

40% off, ON MADE IN CHINA Lingerie ;).

Cons

This is one of the most horrible places, that I've ever experienced in my life to work at. They have unrealistic expectations for staff, when at times, there is no customers and you cannot always convince ladies to buy a bra for $120.00. If you don't make targets, you know who, will target and attack you. I was was so shocked that some other staff members ( I told mothers) they encouraged the children in where the sex toys are!. Bullying from area management, the one with the terrible hair extensions. They expect you to wear only what is approved clothing, got issues? Maybe HB should provide uniforms!

Advice to Management

Clean up your act. This is not acceptable treating your honeys this way in such a disgraceful manner. Bullying from managers, to the point of your workers having severe stress, stomach upsets and anxiety!. How is this allowed. Maybe stop targeting your workers, and look at the unrealistic expectations that you have as targets.

"Save yourself the Pain"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Sydney
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Sydney

I worked at Honey Birdette full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you can last more than 6 months here, literally anywhere will hire you because it proves how strong you are.

Cons

-Unpaid Hours
    -Extreme sales pressure from Upper Management
    -Company Culture is toxic, abusive and does not take harassment of any kind seriously.
    -Managers and Senior Managers routinely bully staff.
    -Feels like a Cult
    -Expectation from 'casual' staff to work full time and as 2iC's with no compensation

Advice to Management

Just give up before it gets worse.

"Not sure if it's a cult or a business"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Sydney
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Sydney

I worked at Honey Birdette full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Beautiful stores and physical working environment. You meet some really interesting people and get to help in helping women feel good about themselves. It's nice to dress up in the ridiculous uniform/ dress code at first but after a few shifts in heels and uncomfortable but pretty outfits it gets very tiring.

Cons

'Cult like' approach to grooming staff. Very sneaky and competitive. Huge disconnect from upper management. The Sales approach is often very bullying towards the customers. The pay rates are fair however many hours are put in that you do not pay staff for. The fact that most staff think it's totally ok to not be paid to open and close the store (anywhere from2.5-5 unpaid hours/ week) is further testament to the brainwashing. I would not recommend working at any of their stores unless they are masochists that like to feel awful about themselves.

Advice to Management

Stop treating your employees like brainless lemmings that kiss the ground you walk on. You require employees to wear the product but don't give us anything and tell us we're 'lucky' to get staff discount on Chinese made knock offs that are exorbitantly marked up. Gee thanks.

"The most horrible professional experience of my life. MD's should be replaced, they are not good people."

Current Employee - Sales in Sydney
    Current Employee - Sales in Sydney

I have been working at Honey Birdette full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The only positive thing I can list is that the lingerie and the store fitout is beautiful, other than that it is a toxic work environment.

Cons

- Racist, ageist and general discrimination against women who do not look like a 'Honey'. They favour video applications and choose to interview via Skype so they can select women that look a certain way.
    - Told sales staff they were getting a 'pay rise' when really they were increasing their pay to match the legal rate. They did this so that no one would look into the 'generous' pay increase and ask to be back paid for the weeks they were underpaid.
    - Pressure to dress and act a certain way.
    - No training or support.
    - Unrealistic KPI's, extremely high pressure to sell.
    - Mistakes, no matter how small are not tolerated.
    - Unfair dismissals are their forte.
    - Run like a small business, overpowering MD's that like to micro-manage.
    - No HR department, if you have a question or concern be prepared to wait weeks, if not months.

Save yourself the heartache and do NOT put yourself through it. Sure the lingerie is nice but the people in charge are the worst human beings you will ever come across.

Advice to Management

There are no words.