Honey Birdette Reviews

Updated 5 Aug 2020

3.1
Pros
  • "40% discount on lingerie and 30% discount on poorly made vibrators(in 12 reviews)

• "HB has very high expectations for their staff and in return offer great incentives, salary, and training basis for retail(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "We’re told by upper management to pressure the Honeys to leave positive reviews on Glassdoor due to the terrible ratings(in 14 reviews)

• "The push down the line of pressure is immense to hit sales targets(in 11 reviews)

1. "The best job I've ever had"

Current Employee - Area Manager in Sydney

I have been working at Honey Birdette full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

A new challenge every day Upper management are incredibly supportive and encouraging - they truly want to see you succeed Relevant and useful learning tools are consistently updated and made available The company culture is empowering from store level to upper management Transparency across the company means there's always opportunity to progress and branch out into areas that interest you Heavily incentivised at all levels HQ and design team listen to and implement customer feedback into policies and products

Cons

Work/life balance can be challenging to maintain as you become so invested in your work

Continue reading

"MD is a sociopath! If you value your sanity, don't work here!"

1.0
    Current Employee - Management in Sydney

I have been working at Honey Birdette full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Decent discount – needs to be because you’re “encouraged” to wear it! Lovely colleagues. Great incentives - international trips, Louboutin’s and HB money to spend in store.

Cons

Hostile and spiteful owner. Eloise sends aggressive emails and is only supportive when you’re hitting budget. We’re told by upper management to pressure the Honeys to leave positive reviews on Glassdoor due to the terrible ratings. I'd rate HB "0", but "1" is the lowest rating I can give. Very little formal training for everyone despite position. Little communication. High turnover of Area/State Managers, Store/2IC managers, FT/PT/Casual team – basically everyone. Ridiculous budgets where all staff are assigned personal budgets every each day, The Honeys either make them, or they fall into the ‘red’- a zone that is published weekly to name and shame. Casuals often don’t make the cut so we were told to take them off the roster. Flagship stores are the favourite. They get more stock, are favoured by area management and always chosen by the CEO and head office for store visits. The “Honey” look gets suffocating to maintain every day - manicured nails, red lipstick, winged eyeliner, heels, white collared shirts, styed hair are all part of the look. Lingerie and toys are often knock offs of other designers and then duplicated into different colours. The push down the line of pressure is immense to hit sales targets. Constant fear for your job.

Continue reading

"Terrible Culture, find somewhere better"

Former Employee - Casual Sales Associate in Brisbane

I worked at Honey Birdette part-time for more than a year

Pros

Lovely coworkers! Pay was rather good I got to make women feel beautiful

Cons

The company is in shambles tbh, the owner Eloise jumped ship and then the new CEO quit not long after. We had no area manager and no state manager for most of my time there and the state manager quit after 3 months, yikes. Also they have only JUST gotten a HR department. You're forced to sell cheap product for luxury prices and not tell customers about all the faulty product that comes in all the time. I also had problems with my manager who did not know how to do her job whatsoever. Honey Birdette is a sinking ship. Support a better brand.

"Not what it seems"

Current Employee - Casual Sales Associate in Sydney

I have been working at Honey Birdette part-time for less than a year

Pros

beautiful product, discounts, sometimes feeling glamours

Cons

Empty promises and drama. So much extra work for normal wages

5. "Unsure..."

Current Employee - Retail Sales Assistant in Sydney

I have been working at Honey Birdette part-time

Pros

discount, female environment, beautiful high quality products

Cons

promises unfulfilled, old computer system, drama

"An embarrassment to have worked for"

1.0
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Honey Birdette full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Some of my casuals were lovely people who recognised the pressure higher management put on us as store managers and were somewhat of a shoulder to cry on - Generous discount on products - Generous but unattainable incentives

Cons

- Staff numbers were never thoroughly thought through, if at all. I would either have too many casuals; leaving many barely employed, being given the legal contracted minimum of 6 hours a fortnight (sometimes this would be a single six hour shift every two weeks). I would have my own casuals, AND casuals from other stores texting me begging me for more hours so that they could pay their rent. Alternatively I would have not enough casuals; leaving me working hours overtime each week when no one was available to work, or being called in on my days off because someone had called in sick the night before with no other casuals available to cover. - In my experience, the company does not fire. Rather, if they no longer favour a casual because of their KPIs or availability, area managers will request that store managers “take them off the rosters” (direct quote). No communication, just cease giving them shifts. When casuals then began anxiously texting and calling as to why they no longer get shifts or if they are even employed by the company, we would be instructed to not respond. This occurred on multiple occasions. - Inadequate security and safety measures; on multiple occasions I would be in store alone with customers that made lewd comments, advances, gestures, or even would physically touch me, and would have no means to contact security or have any defence due to being so alone. The partition walls (whilst a legal requirement in all stores to hide the toy walls) obstructed view from the outside of the store, and would frequently be utilised by perverts to isolate and harass workers without witnesses. - We were once pressured by area managers at company boot camps to go home and leave positive reviews on Glassdoor due to the numbers of scathing reviews the company had received. I can confirm many reviews made between August-November 2019 were made by former colleagues that had been pressured to leave positive reviews. They are not genuine. - Personal budgets; all staff are assigned personal budgets for each day, week and month. They either make them, or they fall into the ‘red’- a zone that is published publicly in the staff newsletter every single week, naming and shaming them causing humiliation and also severe drama amongst casuals that would steal sales from others in order to get themselves out of the red. You are appraised monthly on your previous months sales, and your casual’s sales adversely impact you as a manager. You will be accused of having not trained them properly or having not worked hard enough. - Flagship stores are favoured over any other. They will receive more stock, be favoured by area management when store-store conflict arises, always be chosen by the CEO and head office for store visits, whilst other stores are constantly overlooked or ignored. - Head Office are unprofessional. The Customer Obsessives and other Honeys that represent the brand from its very headquarters should act like brand ambassadors. Despite their prompt responses when called from the store, their social media presence is an insulting reminder that the HQ Honeys care more about videoing each other twerking in the office for their instagram stories than representing what is marketed as an exclusive and luxurious brand. - The pay is utterly appalling, and you will not see anything for the hours of overtime you will be asked to work. - Presentation standards are suffocating and objectifying; nude or red manicured nails, red lipstick, winged eyeliner, stilettos, white collared shirts and sleek, tidy hair are all uniform requirements. - Staff turnover rate is obscene. Including for store managers. Goes to show how invaluable and disposable their employees are. - Absolutely no training. Even for new store managers. All you can do is call other stores when you are completely lost or fend for yourself. Most commonly you would be trained by casuals that had been there longer than you.

Continue reading

"Glamorous and Sophisticated from the outside, stressful and nasty on the inside."

Former Employee - Boutique Manager in Perth, Western Australia

I worked at Honey Birdette full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Great incentives if you are really good at your job including international trips, Louboutins and money to spend on product in store ( - Some amazing work mates - Beautiful stores to work in - Getting dressed up for work every day (looking and feeling amazing)

Cons

- Getting dressed up for work every day (having to get up an hour early to put on a full face of makeup and wearing heels all shift). I wasn't able to feel the bottoms of my feet while working here and had to invest in a foot spa. You also have to constantly spend money as you're expected to show off current collections. Dress code is very strict down to what hair colour you have and what nail polish you wear - and of course, ALWAYS with a red pout. - HORRID upper management including a CEO who verbally abuses staff and rather than support them when an incident happens in store (whether theft or an unfair and undeserved customer complaint) sends passive aggressive or even just outwardly aggressive emails. Pressure on Area/State Managers who then put pressure on Store Managers and staff to perform and staff are fired if they aren't performing with no attempts to help them improve - Western Australia had around 5 or 6 AMs within a year of the time that I worked there. - Massive pressure to meet personal sales targets (and store-based for managerial staff) - both of which are very unrealistic - which results in sales stealing and huge amounts of stress with girls constantly obsessing over numbers. Also resulted in customers saying they felt pressured to buy and refusing to shop in some stores or with certain girls. - Very little formal training and support from management and then abuse when you don't know what they expect you to know without having actually taught you. - A rotating door of staff because of the horrible culture and being sacked for meeting unrealistic targets. On the upside it means you can go from casual to store manager in weeks because everyone either quits or is fired. - A stupid amount of unpaid expected overtime - you are expected to be there 15 mins early to open the store (unpaid) and only get 10 mins after official close time to shut up shop, but if customers are in the store you cannot close the doors and they can stay as long as they want. I had customers keep me 2 hours after close time and bought nothing but I couldn't tell them to leave and you do not get paid for this. Regular staff meetings/training (which is mostly just state managers ranting about how you need to sell more because they are stressed out) most of which are not paid. 5 hour shifts with no toilet breaks. Often left in store alone for 4 hours and not allowed to close the doors if you need to pee. Mostly working alone unless you are in a flagship (usually the capital cities) store.

Continue reading
  8. "Hard work but worth it"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Ringwood, Victoria

I have been working at Honey Birdette part-time for more than a year

Pros

- Keeps you on your toes, every day is different - Incredibly rewarding work - Great support from higher management, calls from state manager every morning to check-in and see how you're doing - Constant opportunity to train and better yourself, - Great discount and incentive prizes to win each month, as well as vouchers for good work - Empowering group of women

Cons

- Working with all women tends to result in some level of drama or gossip no matter what the workplace. If you don't get involved, it doesn't affect you. Same as every other company I've worked for. -

Continue reading
  9. "My dream job come true!"

Current Employee - Area Manager in Sydney

I have been working at Honey Birdette full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Empowered to work hard and strive for excellence by your leaders. - Customer relationships are like no other business and very rewarding. - Everyone you work with is very open and progressive. - Working for a company that isn't afraid to challenge the status quo. - Amazing discount on products - Motivating incentives for the floor team - Opportunity to progress

Cons

- the product is divine which makes it hard to curb your shopping addiction ;)

"Great team / Poor higher management"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I worked at Honey Birdette part-time for more than a year

Pros

Small team in your store meaning you create great relationships. Regular customers

Cons

Bad head management Forced to up sell no matter what Unless store manager there was no jail h security/contract Constantly changing staff

Found 101 reviews