Honey Birdette Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"ups and downs"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Sydney
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Sydney

I worked at Honey Birdette part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great incentives
    Great career opportunities for those who want to progress
    Awesome team members - I have made amazing friendships here!
    Work dinners and events are glamorous and fun
    Get to be creative
    Intimate relationship with customers which is very very rewarding
    Rewarded with promotions and incentives for high, consistent performance

Cons

Very high expectations from individual performance
    Expected to treat HB like a career
    Must make HB your life
    High competitive and no loyalty to staff
    High turnover rate
    No understanding for sick days or non-availability

Advice to Management

The way the company works is great for its customers and its business... its not great for the majority of your staff. You must know the high turn-over rate exists for a reason. Reward loyalty with loyalty. Think long-run.

2. "Way more pros than cons"

Former Employee - Boutique Manager in Sydney
    Former Employee - Boutique Manager in Sydney

I worked at Honey Birdette full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers and teams, I have made heaps of friends.
    Very intimate customer service experiences, the relationships you build are very special
    Very passionate and inspiring environment, surrounded by people who work hard and try their best.
    Great product, incentives and discount
    Best managers I've ever had from the top down, AMs and NRM very friendly and supportive
    Good learning opportunities

Cons

Sometimes the training nights run too late
    Would prefer to work at stores closer to home, this isn't listened to always
    Rosters could be out earlier
    Would have been good to see team based incentives not individual based
    Would have liked more hours

Advice to Management

Love this company so much and will miss my regulars, I only left to return to my field of study.

"Taking an Unwanted Pregnancy test is less Stressful Than This Job"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Adelaide
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Adelaide

I worked at Honey Birdette (Less than a year)

Pros

Im too nice to lie about there being pros of this job

Cons

We're going to be here are while with the cons of this job so sit back, relax and enjoy the ride:
    - There is 0% loyalty from this company to their workers, you work so incredibly hard and you have one bad day with a crazy budget and they ring you or email you threatening your job and hours, sometimes directly from the CEO herself!
    - I've never come across such dumb people in my life, like did you even finish school or were you too busy giving hand jobs under the table because some of the logic of their work tactics absolutely baffled me, no sooner all the girls settle into the store their working in and start to have a relationship with regular customers you get a phone call from one of the managers higher up, "oh babe, don't take it to heart but we're going to move you to a different store cause your just not working out here and budgets are everything and I don't think your hearts in it cause you've only hit 95% of your budget this week." Repeat this process with stores all around the state every month.
    - The stress from working Christmas time for this company is the equivalent of getting an STD from a one night stand in a third world country. I think the ladies up in Head Office think that we only work we don't eat, sleep or have any family to be with because I can't remember how many days in a row over Christmas I worked without overtime pay and I worked Christmas Eve until 8.30pm to set up boxing day sale and yet we shut at 7pm and we kept the doors open to trade while we set up even though it is ILLEGAL to trade after trading hours have ended (yes I worked boxing day after a rager of a Christmas night seeing Will Sparks at HQ, yeh I was hungover AF, and when I checked my account I didn't get penalty rates for boxing day and I messaged payroll about it an they never got back to me, but we won't get into that now) but yeh.
    - Towards the end of the year (2016) I was in a major car crash with my brother, we slammed into a stubby pole and the car bent around the pole and it was the most traumatising thing I went through and I am so lucky that me and my brother survived. Anyway, the NEXT DAY I rocked up to work in flat shoes because my body was stuffed AF with whiplash and all they had to say after me telling them about the crash was 'where are your heels hun.' I don't even know where to begin with this attitude.
    - Don't even get me started on the potential threat from the company if you shut the door because you have to pee or eat, because apparently we can survive on no food and we don't have a bladder. If we worked a full day by ourselves we had to send a text to the state manager asking to shut the doors to pee... and you couldn't leave to get lunch so you had to make sure you had everything with you.
    - And you were pretty much fired if you rocked up to work in flat shoes, no eyeliner and no red lipstick, because apparently our looks are more important than our sanity and wellbeing.
    - The stress from this job was so toxic three months in i developed the most horrendous acne and my skin was getting all patchy because the stress of budgets and sales and then the potential for getting a call each day from someone higher up saying I don't have a job because of being 1% off budget was so stressful i was crying everyday, vomiting from stress, I was horrible to my family cause I hated work and I even developed habits to cope with stress that i'm to ashamed to even admit to myself.
    - As for the training programs for new staff... oh wait what training programs?

Advice to Management

Please, we are PEOPLE, we have souls, feelings, families, lives, emotions and amazing personalities that are clearly to good for you. Stop trying to make your company look good for its workers just because you give out incentives (to the same states each time). If you want a good business and reputation I suggest you start treating your employees like people we are not numbers or a percentage or dollar signs. Heres a little hint for you, you mindless spastics, in order to have a company that sells to customers what do you need? You need workers, staff, good people that actually WANT to work for you because guess what? Without staff there is no one to sell to the customers to make money for you to spend on your regular lavish holidays, so treat them nicely before they all leave you, or are you just going to say don't worry your replaceable, just like you do to everyone because according to you we are nothing but trash that can be thrown out and forgotten about.
    Another thing, yes there is such thing called sick days and people take them because they GET SICK and there is nothing wrong with that just because they are taking the day off to get better. Your managers deserve so much more as well I had the most amazing manager at my first store I worked at and made so many friends because your company isn't great the girls are but yeh we all quit!
    I'm going to finish off with one of my all time favourite mean girls quotes: "You think everybody likes you when really everybody hates you!"

"Please please please do not work here"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Honey Birdette part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Incentives
    Some wonderful coworkers
    Some nice music in store

Cons

Everything.
    Bullying in the work place.
    Underpaid for extra hours worked (even when State Manager assures you that you will be paid)
    No breaks for full day work
    The constant threat of being fired and replaced
    Feeling worthless as a human being and an employee
    Creepy customers and stalkers at work (no cameras)
    No support from State Manager even when you ask for support
    KPI creates toxic and competitive environment where people steal others' sales or do dodgy things (like spending their own money) just to make target

Advice to Management

TAKE CARE OF YOUR HONEYS.
    Hire State Managers who actually have a qualification in management or offer formal training to build their skills. The lack of support from management and clear favouritism is painful to experience and to watch. It's such a toxic environment where you feel happy when you're at the top then next thing you know, you've lost your job because you're no longer the favouritism. This company does not value experience or loyalty or skills. Only short term bandaid fixes. Please please please if you are thinking of working here: just don't. Your health and happiness is worth so much more than this job. Do not make the same mistake I did.

"Worst Employer Ever - Long Term Damage"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Melbourne
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Melbourne

I worked at Honey Birdette part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent pay (legal award rate so it's their base obligation)
    Being able to warn others about your poor experience

Cons

Abusive top management
    Consistent physical and psychological OH&S concerns
    Long term psychological trauma
    Cheap China made products with unreasonably high profit margins ($5 cost of production sold at ~$200)
    Lack of appropriate HR department
    Consistent issues with payroll (Same individual as HR)
    CEO sends personally abusive emails to low performing stores
    Management creates issues as excuses to fire staff
    Blatant ignoring of Worksafe notifications of OH&S breaches

Advice to Management

Company needs CEO with experience and actual strategy for company - not just a profit generating machine. Needs to fix overall culture of the company. Bullying is currently encouraged. Not an empowering workplace.

Managers are hired based on figures, not performance. This has resulted in some of the most notorious, ruthless and absolutely disgraceful individuals getting promoted and subsequently bullying lower staff.

Personal input: currently still receiving psychological help for lasting impacts of this organisation's behaviour. Decided to make this post despite leaving company due to continued psychological trauma.

Advice to prospective future employees: be aware of this company. There are other retail outlets out there that give you benefits without the long term damage. You will be treated right if you are fortunate enough to score a high traffic store. Otherwise, you will be treated exceptionally poorly regardless of ability and skill as sales individuals.

"Toxic Environment"

I worked at Honey Birdette part-time

Pros

The pay is award wage and they do provide some incentives and benefits

Cons

Personal sales targets cause extreme competitiveness which creates a toxic environment to work in.

Advice to Management

Don't steal sales - it frustrates your staff and makes them not want to come to work.

"Great attitude"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Honey Birdette part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great career progression
    Good support from team
    Incentives
    Get to have fun and joke around with customers and be a bit cheeky
    Job is designed around helping women to feel good about themselves and their bodies
    Good internal communication
    AMAZING incentives

Cons

V small teams, covering shifts can be really hard
    Personal sales targets can bring on a lot of pressure, particularly if you're having a bad week
    Not a job for you if you're not willing to go the extra mile for a customer
    Unpaid hours
    High standards of dress and makeup, can get pricey
    Only managers will get full time hours during non peak times, most casuals get a pretty limited roster
    Performance based rostering

"WORST job Experience of my life."

Pros

You get to meet some nice people and work with interesting products.

Cons

Unpaid compulsory "boot camps" (training sessions)
    Not paid overtime.
    Forced to buy their products with no uniform allowance, especially when the guidelines are so strict.
    Use scare tactics to make girls bend over backwards to keep their job.
    Insidious things happening behind closed doors.
    Workplace bullying stemming from competition.
    Forced to look sexy to sell.
    Forced to be pushy and over the top towards customers.
    Don't even try to report bullying to the state manager, she will either- ignore, or blame you.
    Put down if you don't look sexy enough.
    Told you are replaceable and lucky to have the position.
    Constantly accused of not doing well enough.
    Manager reduces your hours for you reason, even though i was the best seller- stemming from jealousy.
    Don't work here unless you want to be stressed ALL the time- over a retail job....

Advice to Management

You wouldn't listen anyway, because you're money hungry cooperate robots, but you need someone to be watching and reviewing the bullying happening in the stores. Communication is so important and if there was some way of enforcing a fair method to keep watch over the stores, such as someone objective, visiting and making sure that things are running smoothly, and not just talking to the manager, but asking the other honeys too.

"No job is worth your health..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brisbane
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brisbane

I worked at Honey Birdette (Less than a year)

Pros

40% off outrageously overpriced and knock off lingerie

Cons

Told to flirt with male customers and "sell them the fantasy" but the store is marketed as "empowering women"
    Store Managers told by higher ups to "dangle the carrot" of a promotion to casual staff to make them work harder and sell more.
    Extremely competitive environment with store managers stealing customers
    Super high individual budgets that are not achievable in a three hour shift.
    Cult-like/ brainwashing mentality from managers- the CEO can do no wrong and we should kiss the ground she walks on.
    Only want to hire naive under 25 year olds so that they can be molded to reflect the HB ideals.
    Manipulative sales tactics are taught.
    Required to attend mandatory training in capital cities without pay and if you did not attend your hours were cut.
    Passive aggressive managers.
    Ridiculed and berated by former staff who then report back to CEO about casual staff who may not have had enough training.
    Required to be 30 minutes early to a shift and stay until everything in store is spotless.
    So many unpaid hours.
    An updated work wardrobe is demanded every season and you're required to wear three items per shift.
    Reimburse your staff when they purchase stock for work- not reimbursing them is illegal under federal law.
    Allow your staff proper breaks and don't expect your staff to work a ten hour shift at short notice during Christmas Trading. A Sunday shift without a break for the toilet is uncomfortable and dangerous to your health.

Advice to Management

Be kind to your staff and pay them properly.
    Remove the policy of "find your own replacement" for shifts that causal's who may be sick and cannot work.
    Get a store budget and stop naming and shaming your staff in the weekly report, people have bad sales weeks, doesn't mean everyone in the company should know about it.
    CEO needs to quit playing favourites with a small and select group of staff.
    Appreciate your staff when they cut their holidays short, are called in at short notice and stop manipulating them into working when they're not available.
    Listen to your staff when a complaint of sexual harassment or mental health issues are made. Working with so much pressure when suffering from anxiety is bad enough without being ridiculed.

"Assistant Manager /Casual"

I have been working at Honey Birdette part-time

Pros

40% off staff discount
    company wide incentives

Cons

* you are easily replaceable
    * as an assistant manager you have no more rights then a casual and if they don't like you, you will get rostered with less hours for no reason.
    * they can drop you from working 21 hrs to 3 with no explanation.
    * if you arnt making money or reaching your budget it is 100% your fault even if you had no customers walk through your door!
    * you will go through a large number of area managers and store managers.
    * the store manager will get also get the blame if the store isn't reaching budget.
    * there is absolutely no training other then bra fitting.
    * if you have trouble meeting budget they will tell you to try harder and then roster you on with less hours.
    * sometimes you will not have an area manager so your point of contact is your national manager. Most of the time she will not answer the phone or reply back to your emails even if they regard work place bullying.
    * there is no HR system. if you have a problem with your manager or area manager or national manager there is no where else to go about it.
    * your team members will take your sales including your manager. Then you get the blame for not meeting budget thus have your job threatened.
    * They will knowingly roster you on with a team member you don't get along with.
    * you have "boot camps" (team meetings) every few months that go for about 3 hrs that are unpaid. Sometimes they are located an hour away.
    * they promote sexual harassment. example one area manager told another team member to "find a guy to use the easy beat egg on, otherwise how else will you know how to sell it"
    * they willingly hire a new team member just so the casual will loose hours making her to work a 3 hour a week roster forcing her to quit.
    * They only call you when you are not making budget and then not help you or give advice. They ask "how are you going to change this".
    * they promote unhealthy teams by putting a manager to a casuals role with 3 hrs a week and replacing her management role.
    * only the flagship stores win the incentives
    * when a store has a "champagne day" the manager has to supply the champagne with her own money.
    * your manager will get a customer to watch you work and report back to her
    *the dress code is also ridiculous
    * you can only wear red or nude nail polish
    * your manager will get her friends to act as customers and email the head office about her "great customer service skills"
    * when your an assistant manager you will get 21 hrs a week then they will drop you to 15 because you have to share your hours with other team members when they hire too many people. They will then swap your position to another team member and she will then get 24hrs and you will get less. As you question it they tell you that, that person makes more money then you yet there is no evidence of that.
    * you will get pressured into buying the toys as they will tell you that you won't know the benefits without owing one.
    * read "not your honey" for more information
    * they only care about the staff in head office or the flagship stores.

Advice to Management

stop work place bullying and put in place a HR system