Honey Birdette Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

Honey Birdette Reviews

Updated Nov 13, 2019

Pros
  • "40% discount on lingerie and 30% discount on poorly made vibrators(in 12 reviews)

• "(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "Wearing heels for majority of the day(in 16 reviews)

• "No support from upper management(in 12 reviews)

1. "Hard work but worth it"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Ringwood, Victoria

I have been working at Honey Birdette part-time for more than a year

Pros

- Keeps you on your toes, every day is different - Incredibly rewarding work - Great support from higher management, calls from state manager every morning to check-in and see how you're doing - Constant opportunity to train and better yourself, - Great discount and incentive prizes to win each month, as well as vouchers for good work - Empowering group of women

Cons

- Working with all women tends to result in some level of drama or gossip no matter what the workplace. If you don't get involved, it doesn't affect you. Same as every other company I've worked for. -

Advice to Management

Please hire a team to run the warehouse! Too much confusion over stock availability

Honey Birdette2019-10-15
  2. "Glamorous and Sophisticated from the outside, stressful and nasty on the inside."

Former Employee - Boutique Manager in Perth, Western Australia

I worked at Honey Birdette full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Great incentives if you are really good at your job including international trips, Louboutins and money to spend on product in store ( - Some amazing work mates - Beautiful stores to work in - Getting dressed up for work every day (looking and feeling amazing)

Cons

- Getting dressed up for work every day (having to get up an hour early to put on a full face of makeup and wearing heels all shift). I wasn't able to feel the bottoms of my feet while working here and had to invest in a foot spa. You also have to constantly spend money as you're expected to show off current collections. Dress code is very strict down to what hair colour you have and what nail polish you wear - and... of course, ALWAYS with a red pout. - HORRID upper management including a CEO who verbally abuses staff and rather than support them when an incident happens in store (whether theft or an unfair and undeserved customer complaint) sends passive aggressive or even just outwardly aggressive emails. Pressure on Area/State Managers who then put pressure on Store Managers and staff to perform and staff are fired if they aren't performing with no attempts to help them improve - Western Australia had around 5 or 6 AMs within a year of the time that I worked there. - Massive pressure to meet personal sales targets (and store-based for managerial staff) - both of which are very unrealistic - which results in sales stealing and huge amounts of stress with girls constantly obsessing over numbers. Also resulted in customers saying they felt pressured to buy and refusing to shop in some stores or with certain girls. - Very little formal training and support from management and then abuse when you don't know what they expect you to know without having actually taught you. - A rotating door of staff because of the horrible culture and being sacked for meeting unrealistic targets. On the upside it means you can go from casual to store manager in weeks because everyone either quits or is fired. - A stupid amount of unpaid expected overtime - you are expected to be there 15 mins early to open the store (unpaid) and only get 10 mins after official close time to shut up shop, but if customers are in the store you cannot close the doors and they can stay as long as they want. I had customers keep me 2 hours after close time and bought nothing but I couldn't tell them to leave and you do not get paid for this. Regular staff meetings/training (which is mostly just state managers ranting about how you need to sell more because they are stressed out) most of which are not paid. 5 hour shifts with no toilet breaks. Often left in store alone for 4 hours and not allowed to close the doors if you need to pee. Mostly working alone unless you are in a flagship (usually the capital cities) store.

Advice to Management

-Stop treating your staff like they are disposable. -Ditch the mean girl upper management (which is tricky since the CEO is the worst of them all) and foster a supportive, nurturing work environment instead of a cut-throat, nasty one.

Honey Birdette2019-11-14
  3. "My dream job come true!"

Current Employee - Area Manager in Sydney

I have been working at Honey Birdette full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Empowered to work hard and strive for excellence by your leaders. - Customer relationships are like no other business and very rewarding. - Everyone you work with is very open and progressive. - Working for a company that isn't afraid to challenge the status quo. - Amazing discount on products - Motivating incentives for the floor team - Opportunity to progress

Cons

- the product is divine which makes it hard to curb your shopping addiction ;)

Honey Birdette2019-10-13
  4. "Great for my first retail job!"

Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Melbourne

I have been working at Honey Birdette part-time for less than a year

Pros

It's a classy environment, fun and exciting all in one. I enjoy coming to work because it's a great work environment and I feel confident and determined to hit my goal for the end of the day. For my first retail career I can say it's definitely a fun one and I have learnt so much!

Cons

For me personally I don't think there is any cons.

Honey Birdette2019-10-10
  5. "I never loved work so much"

Current Employee - Boutique Manager in Melbourne

I have been working at Honey Birdette full-time for less than a year

Pros

Supportive management team Great sense of fulfillment & empowerment High energy work place. Great staff who are passionate about their jobs Opportunities to advance Amazing incentives Boundary pushers. Movement makers. Pro equality

Cons

High turn over of staff Occasional hostile customers Personal results are public to all employees

Advice to Management

Sometimes the feedback from the staff at the bottom of the food chain, really is the most valuable.

Honey Birdette2019-10-09
  6. "Developing and Improving"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Melbourne

I have been working at Honey Birdette full-time for more than a year

Pros

Working at Honey Birdette for more than a year, I can evidently see that the corporate culture and reputation us as honeys have is changing. This is due to the development and training recently instilled into the honeys. - more encouragement as a team in stores. - we break down the taboo stigmas - we are there for people to talk about vulnerable and sensitive topics in a safe environment - We stand up for... charities and support as much as we can! An example of this is the McGrath Foundation - Discounts and Incentives are often a driving force! You are recognised for your hard work and rewarded accordingly - Communication with your State Manager !

Cons

- There needs to be more communication from the Top Level HQ Management down to the staff working on the floor! - Some rules or policies are put in place, then we witness the actions of other honeys that contradict said rules, some consistency will help!

Advice to Management

- Listen to the honeys at the front line who handle the customers on first encounter, we understand what the customers need and want

Honey Birdette2019-10-09
  7. "Great team / Poor higher management"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I worked at Honey Birdette part-time for more than a year

Pros

Small team in your store meaning you create great relationships. Regular customers

Cons

Bad head management Forced to up sell no matter what Unless store manager there was no jail h security/contract Constantly changing staff

Honey Birdette2019-10-23

"Safety violations"

Former Employee - Casual Sales Assistant in Sydney

I worked at Honey Birdette part-time for more than a year

Pros

40% discount on all products (lingerie, bondage, latex, AND toys), great incentives e.g every Christmas they give away several pairs of Loubitons and an international trip to a few girls

Cons

You have to wear heels despite being on your feet for up to 10 hours per day, highly competitive because you have few customers and high budgets (that are often too high for stores that aren’t flagships), sexualising workers, if you dont make budget for 3 weeks you’re cut down to one weekday shift, if you aren’t available up to 4 days a week as a CASUAL you could get fired. Casuals can very rarely meet incentives... nor win prizes because you have to work a minimum of 5 hours a shift on that day or certain hours a week. So it’s only store managers and 2ICs that can actually win

Advice to Management

Budgets should be store based budgets as opposed to personal and that will see less of a turn over and probably more budgets made. Incentives should be able to apply to all, and MOST IMPORTANTLY women shouldn’t be made to wear heels because it’s a major health and safety issue (stuffed up my back and couldn’t participate in my sport for a few months and it is still injured despite not working in 6 months)

Honey Birdette2019-10-16
  9. "Old Honey Culture"

I have been working at Honey Birdette full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Culture is changing and the focus is being put more on developing the team. It feels like the old Honey ways are slowly coming back into the business and we are all feeling more supported and inspired in store. Great discount and incentives. New working agreements for more flexibility in store. We are encouraged to sell an experience not focus on the sale, if we are engaging with the customer the sale will come... naturally. Feel supported by upper management and can always ask for help from CO if we can’t get a hold of our AM. Business is still growing internationally opportunities to travel.

Cons

Lack of team in store. Wearing heels for majority of the day. Not enough product to keep up with demand of vips. Promote more AMs from within.

Advice to Management

Invest in your team, we want to grow. More Bootcamps and visits.

Honey Birdette2019-10-03

"FAKE COMPANY AND FAKE REVIEWS"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Melbourne
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Honey Birdette part-time for less than a year

Pros

Now I know where to NEVER spend my money

Cons

Let me start by saying the state managers were told of Honey Birdette’s shocking Glassdoor rating and for the next week mass amounts of positive reviews were posted. Please take all these positive reviews with a grain of salt because all ex-employees or disgruntled current ones a sure upper management has offered some sort of incentive for people to post overly positive reviews. This company is corrupt, greedy,... and a terrible place to work. You are not valued or helped to grow. You are dispensable. The company pretends to value feminism and empowerment, but treats their employees like dirt and their customers like stupid cult members. Do not work here. Do not spend your money here.

Advice to Management

Too far gone. The Northland store has just shut their doors, and hopefully the rest follow.

Honey Birdette2019-10-21