Honey Birdette Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

Full-timePart-time

2.8
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "It’s hard but I enjoy it"

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Honey Birdette full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing products

Generous incentives

Great customer experiences

Confidence booster

Serious opportunity to grow and progress within the company.

Cons

Strict dress code

It’s retail- you’re going to encounter lots of sassy young women that think the world owes them.

Pay. Managers need more

Advice to Management

HR and Payroll aren’t the same thing. Stop pretending that one person can handle both.

Invest in your leadership team. Stop promoting the “pretty platinum honeys.”

Job titles aren’t as important as they sound.

"AVOID AT ALL COSTS"

Former Employee - Sales Staff in Melbourne
    Former Employee - Sales Staff in Melbourne

I worked at Honey Birdette part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Literally nothing, I don’t understand how anyone has written anything positive about this company even their products have drastically dropped in quality

Cons

Staff are constantly harassed and bullied and forced to act as sexualised dolls to customers. Staff are forced to work in illegal conditions and management are nothing short of sociopathic. No training, unpaid overtime unpaid trials “‘mistakes” by payroll constantly. I don’t understand how this company still operates legally in Australia considering how illegally they treat their staff

Advice to Management

All management should see professional therapists to deal with their clearly destructive and sociopathic cravings for control and power.

"Management are compulsive liars"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Melbourne
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Melbourne

I worked at Honey Birdette full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Staff discount helps you justify the quality
    Only enjoyable if you make big sales consistently
    You'll be favoured if you suck up to everyone

Cons

Zero protection over staff being bullied and harassed
    Management push issues under the rug if they don't want to deal with it
    Employees break down and cry in store over how poorly they're treated
    Management let bad team members get away with breaking policy and procedures if they make big sales
    Management let staff get bullied to the point of comprising my mental health and never did anything about it
    You won't be protected over anything against WHS or OHS
    Fair work are more interested in hearing from you than Honey Birdette are about helping distressed staff

Advice to Management

Stop looking at the figures and start hiring managers that have proper work ethic. Train your staff regularly and you might see improvements. Hire management internally so they know what they're on about.

"Poor Management no Training"

Former Employee - Retail Sales in Miranda
    Former Employee - Retail Sales in Miranda

I worked at Honey Birdette part-time

Pros

40% discount
    Good incentives
    Love the merchandise

Cons

The Management are all to young and don’t have any proper training. The staff are considered clones to be replaced if not reaching sales target. They have a Hive on which each week a list is put out telling everyone your performance wether good or bad, it’s like a report card weekly.
    The staff are spiteful as they work against each other instead of as a team.

Advice to Management

Have an overall store budget for sales this would create a team environment. This would then create competition between stores instead of staff, creating a happier work environment and a stronger overall company.

6. "Assistant Store Manager"

I worked at Honey Birdette full-time

Pros

Amazing incentives, fun and playful work environment, easy to make budget for casuals

Cons

Catty environment, not a lot of training, Area managers give training if they like you

Advice to Management

Make sure you aren't making your area managers start off at 18 or 19 years old. The maturity level just isn't there in terms of making the right decision for workers

7. "Work hard and reap the rewards"

I have been working at Honey Birdette full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing incentives such a free products and trips aboard
    Sense of community within the business
    Will always progress team from within the ranks
    Healthy discount
    Lots of interaction with uppper management and CEO
    Female driven work environment
    Company which stands up for what it believes in and makes efforts shown in store eg. Marriage Eqaulity and breast cancer awareness
    If you can sell and are good at making VIP relations it’s a walk in the park
    Not commission based so avoids cattiness within teams
    Good rate of pay

Cons

High pressure to meet targets
    Extensive black out periods over Christmas and Valentines
    Long hours, much longer than a 9-5
    Longer hours during Christmas period
    No uniform allowance but expect you to be in at least 3 pieces of product
    Zero hour contracts for non-management

Advice to Management

Sometimes figures can not account for everything. More needs to be done by head office to support in store teams and not undercut them. Eg. Launching sales online days early then questioning why stores aren’t hitting targets when online prices are a fraction of those in store

"Avoid This Company"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Brisbane
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Brisbane

I worked at Honey Birdette part-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you like lingerie, this is probably the only pro.

Cons

The CEO has a weird obsession with categorising woman as either "brunettes" or "Blondes"...she seriously can't help but insert the company's trademark sass into even her emails and correspondence with staff. It's just weird. Management is a complete failure in this company with no viable channels for complaints against anybody in more senior position than your own. Also the incentive program only encourages cattiness and nastiness, not team work. Stores are rarely incentivised to perform well together, instead individuals are pitted against one another to have the biggest sales figures. The final straw for me came when Honey that was junior to me (that I actually trained) was promoted above me and had the nerve to take my sales as her own and tell me to work harder to get my own figures up. I had no support from my area leader because she was too busy. The internal politics of this company are laughable. I could go on all day to be honest.

Advice to Management

Perhaps consider hiring some managers who are trained in management at a tertiary level.

9. "Extremely enjoyable and lots of fun!"

Current Employee - Casual in Indooroopilly
    Current Employee - Casual in Indooroopilly

I have been working at Honey Birdette part-time (More than a year)

Pros

• DISCOUNT! 40%!
    • Amazing employees and managers.
    • Always something to do - Never bored
    • If you know your toys youre in for a breeze! If not... You're a little screwed!
    • Very welcoming company.
    • Always feel appreciated.
    • Get to wear sexy lingerie all day, talk about sex, and play with toys.
    • Amazing, friendly customers.

Cons

• Feet get tired wearing heels all day.
    • Some real creepy men come in asking for sex/try on lingerie for them.
    • If you're not comfortable seeing breasts and bums all day, this is not the job for you.

Advice to Management

Amazing company to work for! Work is my happy place!

"50/50"

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Honey Birdette full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun work that's never boring, great staff discounts (40% off).

Cons

You almost never not get made to feel like the "little guy" when it comes to Area Managers and HQ. They see you as little clones who can be replaced immediately if you don't make as much money as they expect and always blame your selling skills for not preforming. You will get in trouble if your not wearing red lipstick and noticeable black eyeliner winged, as well as x5 pieces of their products on your body and black heels.

Advice to Management

No matter how hard you work or how much effort and greatness you put into the store, you will only be known for your mistakes and used as an example to other managers behind your back. If you take Managers role, do not let it get to you because it's the customers and your team who you work hard for and the beauty you make of your store that is truly rewarding.

"Taking an Unwanted Pregnancy test is less Stressful Than This Job"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Adelaide
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Adelaide

I worked at Honey Birdette (Less than a year)

Pros

Im too nice to lie about there being pros of this job

Cons

We're going to be here are while with the cons of this job so sit back, relax and enjoy the ride:
    - There is 0% loyalty from this company to their workers, you work so incredibly hard and you have one bad day with a crazy budget and they ring you or email you threatening your job and hours, sometimes directly from the CEO herself!
    - I've never come across such dumb people in my life, like did you even finish school or were you too busy giving hand jobs under the table because some of the logic of their work tactics absolutely baffled me, no sooner all the girls settle into the store their working in and start to have a relationship with regular customers you get a phone call from one of the managers higher up, "oh babe, don't take it to heart but we're going to move you to a different store cause your just not working out here and budgets are everything and I don't think your hearts in it cause you've only hit 95% of your budget this week." Repeat this process with stores all around the state every month.
    - The stress from working Christmas time for this company is the equivalent of getting an STD from a one night stand in a third world country. I think the ladies up in Head Office think that we only work we don't eat, sleep or have any family to be with because I can't remember how many days in a row over Christmas I worked without overtime pay and I worked Christmas Eve until 8.30pm to set up boxing day sale and yet we shut at 7pm and we kept the doors open to trade while we set up even though it is ILLEGAL to trade after trading hours have ended (yes I worked boxing day after a rager of a Christmas night seeing Will Sparks at HQ, yeh I was hungover AF, and when I checked my account I didn't get penalty rates for boxing day and I messaged payroll about it an they never got back to me, but we won't get into that now) but yeh.
    - Towards the end of the year (2016) I was in a major car crash with my brother, we slammed into a stubby pole and the car bent around the pole and it was the most traumatising thing I went through and I am so lucky that me and my brother survived. Anyway, the NEXT DAY I rocked up to work in flat shoes because my body was stuffed AF with whiplash and all they had to say after me telling them about the crash was 'where are your heels hun.' I don't even know where to begin with this attitude.
    - Don't even get me started on the potential threat from the company if you shut the door because you have to pee or eat, because apparently we can survive on no food and we don't have a bladder. If we worked a full day by ourselves we had to send a text to the state manager asking to shut the doors to pee... and you couldn't leave to get lunch so you had to make sure you had everything with you.
    - And you were pretty much fired if you rocked up to work in flat shoes, no eyeliner and no red lipstick, because apparently our looks are more important than our sanity and wellbeing.
    - The stress from this job was so toxic three months in i developed the most horrendous acne and my skin was getting all patchy because the stress of budgets and sales and then the potential for getting a call each day from someone higher up saying I don't have a job because of being 1% off budget was so stressful i was crying everyday, vomiting from stress, I was horrible to my family cause I hated work and I even developed habits to cope with stress that i'm to ashamed to even admit to myself.
    - As for the training programs for new staff... oh wait what training programs?

Advice to Management

Please, we are PEOPLE, we have souls, feelings, families, lives, emotions and amazing personalities that are clearly to good for you. Stop trying to make your company look good for its workers just because you give out incentives (to the same states each time). If you want a good business and reputation I suggest you start treating your employees like people we are not numbers or a percentage or dollar signs. Heres a little hint for you, you mindless spastics, in order to have a company that sells to customers what do you need? You need workers, staff, good people that actually WANT to work for you because guess what? Without staff there is no one to sell to the customers to make money for you to spend on your regular lavish holidays, so treat them nicely before they all leave you, or are you just going to say don't worry your replaceable, just like you do to everyone because according to you we are nothing but trash that can be thrown out and forgotten about.
    Another thing, yes there is such thing called sick days and people take them because they GET SICK and there is nothing wrong with that just because they are taking the day off to get better. Your managers deserve so much more as well I had the most amazing manager at my first store I worked at and made so many friends because your company isn't great the girls are but yeh we all quit!
    I'm going to finish off with one of my all time favourite mean girls quotes: "You think everybody likes you when really everybody hates you!"