Honey Birdette Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

Updated 18 October 2017

Full-timePart-time

CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Extremely enjoyable and lots of fun!"

Current Employee - Casual in Indooroopilly
    Current Employee - Casual in Indooroopilly

I have been working at Honey Birdette part-time (More than a year)

Pros

• DISCOUNT! 40%!
    • Amazing employees and managers.
    • Always something to do - Never bored
    • If you know your toys youre in for a breeze! If not... You're a little screwed!
    • Very welcoming company.
    • Always feel appreciated.
    • Get to wear sexy lingerie all day, talk about sex, and play with toys.
    • Amazing, friendly customers.

Cons

• Feet get tired wearing heels all day.
    • Some real creepy men come in asking for sex/try on lingerie for them.
    • If you're not comfortable seeing breasts and bums all day, this is not the job for you.

Advice to Management

Amazing company to work for! Work is my happy place!

"50/50"

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Honey Birdette full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun work that's never boring, great staff discounts (40% off).

Cons

You almost never not get made to feel like the "little guy" when it comes to Area Managers and HQ. They see you as little clones who can be replaced immediately if you don't make as much money as they expect and always blame your selling skills for not preforming. You will get in trouble if your not wearing red lipstick and noticeable black eyeliner winged, as well as x5 pieces of their products on your body and black heels.

Advice to Management

No matter how hard you work or how much effort and greatness you put into the store, you will only be known for your mistakes and used as an example to other managers behind your back. If you take Managers role, do not let it get to you because it's the customers and your team who you work hard for and the beauty you make of your store that is truly rewarding.

"Taking an Unwanted Pregnancy test is less Stressful Than This Job"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Adelaide
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Adelaide

I worked at Honey Birdette (Less than a year)

Pros

Im too nice to lie about there being pros of this job

Cons

We're going to be here are while with the cons of this job so sit back, relax and enjoy the ride:
    - There is 0% loyalty from this company to their workers, you work so incredibly hard and you have one bad day with a crazy budget and they ring you or email you threatening your job and hours, sometimes directly from the CEO herself!
    - I've never come across such dumb people in my life, like did you even finish school or were you too busy giving hand jobs under the table because some of the logic of their work tactics absolutely baffled me, no sooner all the girls settle into the store their working in and start to have a relationship with regular customers you get a phone call from one of the managers higher up, "oh babe, don't take it to heart but we're going to move you to a different store cause your just not working out here and budgets are everything and I don't think your hearts in it cause you've only hit 95% of your budget this week." Repeat this process with stores all around the state every month.
    - The stress from working Christmas time for this company is the equivalent of getting an STD from a one night stand in a third world country. I think the ladies up in Head Office think that we only work we don't eat, sleep or have any family to be with because I can't remember how many days in a row over Christmas I worked without overtime pay and I worked Christmas Eve until 8.30pm to set up boxing day sale and yet we shut at 7pm and we kept the doors open to trade while we set up even though it is ILLEGAL to trade after trading hours have ended (yes I worked boxing day after a rager of a Christmas night seeing Will Sparks at HQ, yeh I was hungover AF, and when I checked my account I didn't get penalty rates for boxing day and I messaged payroll about it an they never got back to me, but we won't get into that now) but yeh.
    - Towards the end of the year (2016) I was in a major car crash with my brother, we slammed into a stubby pole and the car bent around the pole and it was the most traumatising thing I went through and I am so lucky that me and my brother survived. Anyway, the NEXT DAY I rocked up to work in flat shoes because my body was stuffed AF with whiplash and all they had to say after me telling them about the crash was 'where are your heels hun.' I don't even know where to begin with this attitude.
    - Don't even get me started on the potential threat from the company if you shut the door because you have to pee or eat, because apparently we can survive on no food and we don't have a bladder. If we worked a full day by ourselves we had to send a text to the state manager asking to shut the doors to pee... and you couldn't leave to get lunch so you had to make sure you had everything with you.
    - And you were pretty much fired if you rocked up to work in flat shoes, no eyeliner and no red lipstick, because apparently our looks are more important than our sanity and wellbeing.
    - The stress from this job was so toxic three months in i developed the most horrendous acne and my skin was getting all patchy because the stress of budgets and sales and then the potential for getting a call each day from someone higher up saying I don't have a job because of being 1% off budget was so stressful i was crying everyday, vomiting from stress, I was horrible to my family cause I hated work and I even developed habits to cope with stress that i'm to ashamed to even admit to myself.
    - As for the training programs for new staff... oh wait what training programs?

Advice to Management

Please, we are PEOPLE, we have souls, feelings, families, lives, emotions and amazing personalities that are clearly to good for you. Stop trying to make your company look good for its workers just because you give out incentives (to the same states each time). If you want a good business and reputation I suggest you start treating your employees like people we are not numbers or a percentage or dollar signs. Heres a little hint for you, you mindless spastics, in order to have a company that sells to customers what do you need? You need workers, staff, good people that actually WANT to work for you because guess what? Without staff there is no one to sell to the customers to make money for you to spend on your regular lavish holidays, so treat them nicely before they all leave you, or are you just going to say don't worry your replaceable, just like you do to everyone because according to you we are nothing but trash that can be thrown out and forgotten about.
    Another thing, yes there is such thing called sick days and people take them because they GET SICK and there is nothing wrong with that just because they are taking the day off to get better. Your managers deserve so much more as well I had the most amazing manager at my first store I worked at and made so many friends because your company isn't great the girls are but yeh we all quit!
    I'm going to finish off with one of my all time favourite mean girls quotes: "You think everybody likes you when really everybody hates you!"

"ups and downs"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Sydney
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Sydney

I worked at Honey Birdette part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great incentives
    Great career opportunities for those who want to progress
    Awesome team members - I have made amazing friendships here!
    Work dinners and events are glamorous and fun
    Get to be creative
    Intimate relationship with customers which is very very rewarding
    Rewarded with promotions and incentives for high, consistent performance

Cons

Very high expectations from individual performance
    Expected to treat HB like a career
    Must make HB your life
    High competitive and no loyalty to staff
    High turnover rate
    No understanding for sick days or non-availability

Advice to Management

The way the company works is great for its customers and its business... its not great for the majority of your staff. You must know the high turn-over rate exists for a reason. Reward loyalty with loyalty. Think long-run.

6. "Way more pros than cons"

Former Employee - Boutique Manager in Sydney
    Former Employee - Boutique Manager in Sydney

I worked at Honey Birdette full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers and teams, I have made heaps of friends.
    Very intimate customer service experiences, the relationships you build are very special
    Very passionate and inspiring environment, surrounded by people who work hard and try their best.
    Great product, incentives and discount
    Best managers I've ever had from the top down, AMs and NRM very friendly and supportive
    Good learning opportunities

Cons

Sometimes the training nights run too late
    Would prefer to work at stores closer to home, this isn't listened to always
    Rosters could be out earlier
    Would have been good to see team based incentives not individual based
    Would have liked more hours

Advice to Management

Love this company so much and will miss my regulars, I only left to return to my field of study.

"Please please please do not work here"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Honey Birdette part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Incentives
    Some wonderful coworkers
    Some nice music in store

Cons

Everything.
    Bullying in the work place.
    Underpaid for extra hours worked (even when State Manager assures you that you will be paid)
    No breaks for full day work
    The constant threat of being fired and replaced
    Feeling worthless as a human being and an employee
    Creepy customers and stalkers at work (no cameras)
    No support from State Manager even when you ask for support
    KPI creates toxic and competitive environment where people steal others' sales or do dodgy things (like spending their own money) just to make target

Advice to Management

TAKE CARE OF YOUR HONEYS.
    Hire State Managers who actually have a qualification in management or offer formal training to build their skills. The lack of support from management and clear favouritism is painful to experience and to watch. It's such a toxic environment where you feel happy when you're at the top then next thing you know, you've lost your job because you're no longer the favouritism. This company does not value experience or loyalty or skills. Only short term bandaid fixes. Please please please if you are thinking of working here: just don't. Your health and happiness is worth so much more than this job. Do not make the same mistake I did.

"Worst Employer Ever - Long Term Damage"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Melbourne
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Melbourne

I worked at Honey Birdette part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent pay (legal award rate so it's their base obligation)
    Being able to warn others about your poor experience

Cons

Abusive top management
    Consistent physical and psychological OH&S concerns
    Long term psychological trauma
    Cheap China made products with unreasonably high profit margins ($5 cost of production sold at ~$200)
    Lack of appropriate HR department
    Consistent issues with payroll (Same individual as HR)
    CEO sends personally abusive emails to low performing stores
    Management creates issues as excuses to fire staff
    Blatant ignoring of Worksafe notifications of OH&S breaches

Advice to Management

Company needs CEO with experience and actual strategy for company - not just a profit generating machine. Needs to fix overall culture of the company. Bullying is currently encouraged. Not an empowering workplace.

Managers are hired based on figures, not performance. This has resulted in some of the most notorious, ruthless and absolutely disgraceful individuals getting promoted and subsequently bullying lower staff.

Personal input: currently still receiving psychological help for lasting impacts of this organisation's behaviour. Decided to make this post despite leaving company due to continued psychological trauma.

Advice to prospective future employees: be aware of this company. There are other retail outlets out there that give you benefits without the long term damage. You will be treated right if you are fortunate enough to score a high traffic store. Otherwise, you will be treated exceptionally poorly regardless of ability and skill as sales individuals.

"Toxic Environment"

I worked at Honey Birdette part-time

Pros

The pay is award wage and they do provide some incentives and benefits

Cons

Personal sales targets cause extreme competitiveness which creates a toxic environment to work in.

Advice to Management

Don't steal sales - it frustrates your staff and makes them not want to come to work.

"Much more than a retail job, a career and a community."

Pros

Lots of opportunities to progress, will always hire in-house where possible.

Amazing incentives company and year wide, nice to be rewarded for hard work.

Uniform is a beautiful and it's very nice being able to dress glam for work.

Big company which works on small business mindset, never feel like just a number.

Very caring and involved Managing Director.

Company of dedicated, hard working women who create a sense of community in the workplace and really practise what they preach when it comes to the message of empowerment.

Cons

High pressured sales environment, sales and budget closely monitored.

Long hours, much more than a 9-5.

Life/work can sometimes be difficult to balance.

Zero hour contracts for non-management.

Black out periods over Christmas and Valentines.

Advice to Management

Numbers are only a small insight into a store, sometimes more help needs to come from the top down in order to help stores better perform.

Keep rewarding that hard work where due, making beautiful products and creating a community of amazing honey's, both customers and employees alike.

"Working for Honey Birdette"

Current Employee - Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Honey Birdette full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working alongside a driven and ambitious team. Major career growth and opportunities available for staff in all areas from retail to head office.

Cons

A lot of measurements and kpi's